The Album Review ThreadMusic 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Prosthetic
  • 12 comments
  • 1,761 views
Messages
3,542
United States
Marin County, C
I didn't see any threads on this matter posted before... So I figured this would be a good place for people to put out there opinion on a CD of any thinkable genre.

I'll start...

AlbumcoverTermination%3DLiberation.jpg


Finnish Melodic Death Metal... Mmm, what a combination and these guys are no exception. I especially love the very predominant drumming will beat into your skin and melt your bones. That's the way I felt when I finished the album. You will get rests hear and there but you will be quickly reminded that it is a death metal album, and that's what your going to hear. The rests only make the experience more brutal, its like putting on nipple clamps and getting beat around by a whip and you take them on, rub em a bit and put em back on only to make the situation worse. If your a fan of Dark Tranquility, you will enjoy this album. I give this album an 86.47% approval rating. If you don't feel beat up at the end of the album, your not listening to it loud enough.

Recommended Tracks:
The Animal Within
Sinners Defeat
It Is Done

Go on, lets see those reviews!
 
Last edited:
ledzeppelinic.jpg


Though Led Zeppelin is classic rock, but sounds like a different genre. Their music is different, all kinds. What would their true genre be?
 
Plus44-WhenYourHeartStopsBeating200.jpg

(+44) When Your Heart Stops Beating​

This is the first album from (+44) the other half of Blink 182 after their break up, the other other half being Angles and Airwaves. Made up of Mark Hoppus Travis Barker Shane Gallagher and Craig Fairbaugh. WYHSB dropped on 11/16/06 they are working on the follow up album to be released once the Blink reunion tour is over with.

This album gets a 9/10 from me, lots of awesome drumming and high energy songs fill the front half of the album while the second half is more laid back and emotional (NOT Emo though). High points include Lycanthrope, When Your Heart Stops Beating, Weatherman, and No it isn't. The album reached the #2 postion on US Rock charts and 10th overall. Singles from When Your Heart Stop Beating include Lycanthrope, When Your Heart Stop Beating, Baby Come On, and 155.
 
Last edited:
Gah, you beat me to it! There has been general album review threads before but they didn't catch on - but hopefully this might though. I'll be adding some reviews of albums I've heard recently. There is, of course, the Classic Album thread, which I would encourage people to use as well.
 
That would've been my suggestion as well. Also, I think some people need to fix their Photobucket links in any case.
 
Gah, you beat me to it! There has been general album review threads before but they didn't catch on - but hopefully this might though. I'll be adding some reviews of albums I've heard recently. There is, of course, the Classic Album thread, which I would encourage people to use as well.
Maybe I didn't look hard enough. :yuck: I have a couple albums that I could add to that thread.


That would've been my suggestion as well. Also, I think some people need to fix their Photobucket links in any case.

Fixed. 👍
 
machinehead-theblackening.jpg


Machine Head, the second generation of Bay Area Trash. Taking off where Metallica, Testament and Exodus left off and taking it a step further. 2007 Machine Head awoke a beast that has been stirring around in its den for far to long. The Blackening is easily some of the best modern thrash/groove metal out there and this album sets the bar ridiculously high. For 61 minutes your on a ride through solos that screech to the heavens and then a kick to the ass to knock you back down. Eight songs, sixty-one minutes and no filler. Sounds like the perfect recipe which is, because I can't think of anything that I could add or subtract from the album to make it better. This song is just like a dentist appointment, you go you don't feel a thing; and then 2 hours later your digging through your medicine cabinet looking for some ibuprofen. Its really hard to put to words how kick ass the album is so I'm going to say if you like anything between hard rock and grind core... You should listen to this album because it does everything perfectly.
I give this album an 96.63% approval rating.

Recommended Songs:
All of them but especially these three.
Clenching the Fists of Dissent
Aesthetics of Hate
Halo

EDIT: I do also want to say that this album produces some of my favorite lyrics, so its more then just killer riffs.
 
The_Magnetic_Fields_-_69_Love_Songs.jpg


The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs
stars-2-0._V47081858_.gif


Three superb songs - shame about the other 66. This album has the dubious honour of being the first that I have had to ban from my iPod simply for being overwhelmingly irritating, despite a smattering of real quality. Alot of songs are well crafted, the lyrics interesting and occasionally insightful and witty, but Merritt's vocals would embarrass my dog's arse, and the mushy sentiment throughout (OK, it is a triple album of love songs) is too much to bear alot of the time. When Merritt is on form, he really nails it, but this album is a bit like a blind person playing darts - if you have enough attempts, you're bound to hit the bullseye a few times. Only for avid fans.

Top Tracks - "When My Boy Walks Down The Street"; "No One Will Ever Love You"; "I Don't Believe In The Sun"

Also Recommended - "I Don't Believe You" from the album "i"
 
Mystics.jpg


At War With The Mystics - The Flaming Lips (2006)
stars-4-0._V5268001_.gif


A superb collection of modern psychedelia from a band that I've always heard alot about, but never really heard much to justify the acclaim. Where previous albums have been sporadically brilliant, this album is uniformally strong. Combining skilful musicianship and songcraft with a bewildering mix of sounds and typically weird and wonderful imagery, this album covers alot of ground. Drawing on prog rock inspirations (notably Pink Floyd, and there's a bit of Yes and Crimson in here too, if you ask me), the highlights for me are "Vein Of Stars" and "The Sound Of Failure", both powerful and beautiful songs worthy of any music collection.
 
Last edited:
Funnily enough, I liked The Magnetic Fields' album a lot.... well, not that mcuh if you consider I only liked about 15 songs put of 69, but still, it was good enough, me thinks.
 
The album isn't without merrit t, but it takes the concept of the 'filler' to a whole new level - two entire albums worth of filler to be exact :crazy: In retrospect, I think I was being quite generous giving it 2/5 (or 4/10), given that I'd only purposefully listen to about 25% of it at a push, and only rate 5% of it as either very good or excellent. That said, allmusic.com (which I use all the time) rates it very highly indeed, with a whopping 9/10, so what do I know! :p
 
I actually got that album off a Top 100 Best Indie albums in history, so there you go
 
4a6246bcb0c2cd71650d36c1dfc.jpg

BT- These Hopeful Machines: This is BT's sixth studio albums and I think his best one yet. I never thought I would describe music as being three dimensional and having depth but BT's latest work has no other way to describe it. Every time I listen to it I pick up on something new I missed the listen before. The tracks are loaded with scratches, pops, glitches and BT's famous stutter but it's not annoying and sounds more like music then noise. It sort of felt like I was falling through a computer world and when I listened to it while trying to fall asleep I got some weird ass dreams.

I will admit BT does get a bit carried away at times, but it's nothing overbearing and doesn't really detract from the music. The lyrical tracks are good, typical vocal trance type stuff but I'm really digging them.

If you are a fan of vocal trance, trance or electonica in general this is defiantly one to check out. And even if you aren't you still might want to listen to some samples.

8.5/10
 
Back