the amazing nature of JP drifters and drift lobbies

Skygrasper550

Back and forth between gaming and Gunpla
Premium
Philippines
Philippines
skygrasper_550--
In line with my previous experience with JP drifters that was discussed in this thread (which was closed, or rather, I had closed sadly due to of incessant and unnecessary off-topic BS :grumpy:) I had once again had another, far more amazing experience attained from a Japanese drift lobby.

It was last night when I was looking around GT5 online searching for a drift lobby. I had created my own lobby a few moments before but there weren't much people coming in and staying. So on the lookout again, I couldn't find any good US drift rooms, so I decided to change my search filter to "All". I see a lot of JP drift lobbies and decided to join one. Suzuka East, Comfort:Hard tires only. Perfect. I went in, got in my C5 Corvette, and drifted onto the section start. There were about 3 JP players, and 2 were drifting the whole track. I waited for the host and the other player to close in because I wanted to join in on the tandem. So there I was, finally getting to join the run in the back end of the drift train. First run through the section, was really awesome. Surprisingly smooth. Then, one thing I noticed was when the other players got to the straight. The car in front was a Silvia S13, and the car behind is much faster (forgot what it was) but he hanged back and stayed behind, So, to show my respect, I hung back to my position as well. I was amazed when I saw the lead car do a crazy and long Scandi flick entry towards the first corner and the other player followed suite. I instinctively followed their move, and, to my surprise, I have done an entry that I have never tried before, and nailed it on the first attempt; all tires inside the pavement and I was sliding with them all the way to the start of the drift section. At the same time, I was filled in awe seeing them pull off such an amazing entry in an effortless fashion.

The train continued on, for about more than 10 laps. All of us, and I mean, ALL OF US were very close to each other, especially when it came during every run up the drift section. It was 3 cars going door-to-door EVERY LAP, it was insane. I didn't notice 12 laps had passed because I was "sucked in". Also, every few laps, each of us switched positions. When it was my turn to lead, I got a bit upset because I couldn't pull off the same Scandi flick entry when in the lead; kept dipping some of my tires off-track. To my surprise yet again, the cars behind didn't overtake me, but waited for me to get my composure again and continue on the drift train. Few more laps and I finally got the entry right. But then, I can feel my hands getting worn out. It was a very weird and amazing feeling, because my mind says "Keep going!" but my hands say "No we're tired :(" . So I pulled over to the side of the bottom end of the drift section, and so did the lobby host. A few seconds after I parked, the host said "good drift XANO", and I replied "you too, nice tandem" . Seeing such respectable just fills you with awe.

Some moments later, a Malaysian and a Spanish player entered and joined in as I was chilling momentarily on my spot. I was yet surprised again, seeing that the next thing they would do once on-track is join in on the train, without ever saying a word. It was like, these non-JP people knew what they were supposed to do, before stepping in and the moment they stepped inside the lobby. Then the realization hit me: I just stepped inside a shrine. A drifting shrine. A sacred place that demands respect, without ever anyone saying a word and no one having to tell you to do so. I got into some other cars later and had the same amazing experience.

Here are some thing I would like to point out in my experience. First off is the way the players back in the lobby drifted. They were nothing short of super consistent. The lead car was giving ample room for the car behind to maneuver and go door-to-door, and at the same time the chase cars give enough space for the lead car to maneuver and do its job. Every single run around the track, it was always like that. Clean, simple, and quite frankly, beautiful. You go into a random US drift lobby, and the first thing you'd notice when you keep up with the lead car is that the lead car changes pace next run, either going as fast as possible to try and pull away from you (digging the inside and cutting grass, if needed), or doing some crazy angle drifting to try to throw you off.

Secondly, the overall feel and aura of the drift room. In the JP lobby I joined, it amazes me that the host commands such high levels-- sorry, VERY HIGH levels of skill and respect, and the host doesn't even have to say one single word. There were no parked cars on track, and only 1 driver at a given time was afk, but was at the pits. The track was very clean. He lets his drifting skill and attitude do the talking for him. At the same time, it pains me to see US drift lobbies be in such a mess. Trolls park in the middle of the track or drive in the opposite direction to ram at oncoming drifters, and someone in a drift lobby I just joined said "wrong way a:censored:holes" after hitting people because he was drifting the whole track, and everyone else including the host was drifting the section.

Thirdly, it's the way the drifters behave. When I went off-track because of my failed Scandi flick entries at the first corner, the cars behind allowed me to recover and get back by adjusting their pace. Either if I just went wide with all tires still on the pavement, or have my tires dipped into the grass, they adjusted. It was only when I seriously went off-track and slowed down too much, making it safe for the cars behind to go on, that they would go on, which is perfectly understandable. Also, they drift in such a way that they allow you to tandem with them, keeping their pace as steady as possible, keeping the cars behind as close as possible. They're "talking" to you in such a manner that they're saying "Come on, you can do it! Keep up!" and whenever you mess up, you get this certain "Shame on you" feeling because the other drifters are doing their best to hold the drift train and keep the tandem going. They don't drift to be the fastest, or have the most angle, or take the tightest line, or to impress anyone. They just... drift. that's it. No cheap, underhanded antics. They disregard all those "factors" because they know it really has nothing to do with drifting in the first place. They treat drifting as an art form, and value and respect it.

You go into a random US drift lobby, they see you going wide and they take it instantly as an opportunity to pass you, without ever analyzing if it's safe to pass or not and not allowing the lead car to recover. Most of these occurrences end up in the chase car hitting the lead car and saying "mb, you went too wide so I tried to pass you". And to further emphasize my first point, they always feel like they have to best you. Like, it's always a competition. They speak to you in a manner that says "You can't touch this s:censored:, b:censored:!!" "Haha you suck!" and when they can't best you, they get p:censored: off and say "F:censored: you!/Screw you!"

It's a real shame to see such an amazing culture held in high regard be toned down to a ghetto level and abused in another place.

Japanese people in general tend to have a better attitude and are brought up better than "western" people. My friend went to japan and in the subways they sort of line up in a line in front of each door in an orderely fashion like it's natural.

They just seem to have more sense of respect and discipline than the majority of the western world.

Which is probably why their drift lobbies are so comfortable to be in compared to other ones, like the US lobbies.

This is nothing new to me. I drift with Japanese some times and they are great to drift with. I'm most interested in how bad you portray American rooms. I only drift in US rooms if it's a GTP team like Nemesis but it sounds like it's a mess otherwise. I try to drift like the Japanese in how you drift in a courteous manner, that is when I lead I don't take off and try driving consistently as possible while giving ample room on the inside and when I follow I try to not hit others.

To find good tandem partners on GT5 you have to look for GTP teams it seems. Japanese are the exception to the rule as they always drift epically.

I agree with everything said here, as this is nothing new to me. Although the OP is a great read and the analysis of the jp rooms is something that all "western"/US drifters should go by.
Proper race craft and on-track etiquette can go a long way.

I can honestly say I have never been in a JP room that amazed me. Yes most of them have good manners, apologizing religiously, heck that is most of what is typed (sumimasen and gomen) in JP rooms that I have been in. But their skill never really amazes me. There are only a handful of JP players that I have been impressed with. One of them is MAGISS_RACING, dude is pretty good. But for the most part yes, the manners in all JP rooms are great, then again they are raised/taught to respect everyone/everything. I have been in a few rooms where the host was racist, heard them say gaijin, then boot me as soon as I load up. A lot of the rooms I have been in also have had people parked off the side of the track. More so than anywhere else I have been. That and they never seem to stray away from tsukuba or suzuka, which get old quickly.

My experience with the japanese is the same as the O.P, what they do is what is to be expected in real life. It's all drift etiquette, all about avoiding all possible collisions at all costs. They follow the books of respect and common sense. I try to aim at this quality of etiquette at all times, but it seems impossible to achieve.

Ive been in a few Japanese drift rooms when I ge home from work, they all dont impress me. I've oly seen a few that were good and the rest were just like the rest of the US rooms. Agreed on their track ediquitte(most of the time). I will say that i try to stay away from the public lobbies as i only really drift with people from GTP ie: my team RedSuns Mafia, MCR, Nemisis, a select few from SYN_D1, and MLD.

It's always fun drifting with people from JP! They may drift overused tracks on GT5 in my opinion, but the overall experience of their rooms are just mind blowing. Just seeing them drift is amazing, especially when you see a S13 leading in front of a Corvette or another match up like that without the car with the more hp passing.

XANO, welcome to what drifting really is about. I have noticed this many times and basically what you described is how I drift. I'm not from Japan nor Japanese, but I see drifting very similar to people like in that room do.

That's why I don't feel the need to compete in comps. Nothing to prove, just enjoying the art of drifting. Wish more people would have this same type of mindset.

You go into a random US drift lobby, they see you going wide and they take it instantly as an opportunity to pass you, without ever analyzing if it's safe to pass or not and not allowing the lead car to recover. Most of these occurrences end up in the chase car hitting the lead car and saying "mb, you went too wide so I tried to pass you". And to further emphasize my first point, they always feel like they have to best you. Like, it's always a competition. They speak to you in a manner that says "You can't touch this s:censored:, b:censored:!!" "Haha you suck!" and when they can't best you, they get p:censored: off and say "F:censored: you!/Screw you!"

It's a real shame to see such an amazing culture held in high regard be toned down to a ghetto level and abused in another place.

Your telling me you never experience going into a random japanese lobby and not deal with the same thing (just curious) ?

Anytime I go in their lobbies, they're either in Corvettes or Camaro's and knocking people out of the way so. I don't bother with them.

I feel like alot of people diss the U.S. Drifting lobbies to much.

I feel like alot of people diss the U.S. Drifting lobbies to much.

This!

To be honest, the euro lobbies are hands down the worst. Super messy and they have no respect for the people around them.

Not all of them but most..

I actually never got lucky enough to enter a decent JP room. Most of the time i enter one theres always a guy drifting an EVO and the rest drifting on different types of tires. This is the case with other lobbies aswell though.

Tacobell18
I actually never got lucky enough to enter a decent JP room. Most of the time i enter one theres always a guy drifting an EVO and the rest drifting on different types of tires. This is the case with other lobbies aswell though.

I get what you mean about the EVO. To be completely honest, it is all about car control. If you can drift a car behind someone and control it, I honestly don't care what you drift.

I usually don't have a problem with people drifting any type drive train. Hell, I don't care if you drift a race car, as long as you can control it, it is fine with me.

A lot of people share this same mindset, some don't. As others had said a few posts ago, it doesn't matter the region, just finding the rooms that match this mindset is kind of difficult.

All I'm going to say is this:

There are good Euro lobbies, although they are rare. Burst, or other team lobbies for example.

In the same fashion, you have good, and bad American lobbies. Nemesis, SR Elite, Etc ...

And the only logical conclusion would be that the Japanese have the exact same issue. Considering they're just people too, and all. They will have good (like Xano said), lobbies, and bad ones.

An active and attentive host makes all the difference in the world regardless of tire/drivetrain/performance restrictions. I've been on late at night seeking comfort hard restricted rooms, so that I'm not the "slow guy" on the track, and often find myself in JP servers, but if the host is nowhere to be found, there's still the opportunity to be trolled. You also need to factor in those that list their country of origin as anything other than what it truly is. But still, if the host is paying attention and there's an Autozam (or X1 for that matter) on racing softs showing drivers around him/her all the respect that they deserve, I really couldn't care less. It may not be appropriate for a drifting room, but I don't care if I take 37 seconds (930hp SLR '03 on comfort hards at Autumn Ring Mini) or 2 minutes and 37 seconds to lap as long as I'm drifting.

Point is, there are good dirty Nascar lobbies and there are bad dirty Nascar lobbies. There are good drifting lobbies and there are bad drifting lobbies. There are good shuffle lobbies and there are bad shuffle lobbies.

I drift in JP lobby's alot. Mainly on Fuji, they never drift back down the D1 section, they always use the grass to go back, when I'm in a Fuji lobby with people I know there is all ways people that seem to drift back down the track and mess every one up, not mentioning names but you know who you are. This is why I enjoy the JP lobby's because they think of others not just them selves. Also the JP comps I have entered have been some of the best comps I have ever been in, very well judged and no messing about. If your wanting to join a good Japanese lobby look for one hosted by some one called go-go, his lobby's are always good.

Back