The artists and their work.Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter milefile
  • 7 comments
  • 668 views
Messages
10,832
I've heard it said that sometimes it is necessary to separate the artist from his work, in order that the work not be diminished by it's creator's undesireable traits. There have been a few cases of this in my own artistic appreciations. For instance, I like old Van Halen music a lot, even though David Lee Roth is sort of a moron, so I just focus on the music and not my mental images of him jumping around in butt-less spandex pants on stage.

Lately, though, the same issue has arisen, but in a not so superficial way. There's this band I've been a huge fan of for a long time, first and formost for their music, minus singing. To be sure, the singer's voice is great, so that's not the problem. The problem is the lyrics in some of the songs. Exactly what about the lyrics bothers me? Well, some of the songs are essentially socialist manifestos. I give them credit for caring, and using music to say what they have to say rather than, oh I don't know, crying about injustice on an internet forum. But when I hear some of what they have to say I just cringe.

I'll never boycott them though. The music is just too damn good. And being a fan for a long time, as any long time fan of any band knows, puts me in a better position to understand and interpret their musical evolution and development, which makes me appreciate them all the more. I just have to block out the lyrics to some songs, wishing that these people for whom I feel such a strong affinity, weren't so politically opposite to me.

Do you ever have to ignore something about a song or a band in order to continue enjoying the part you can hardly magine living without?
 
i am intrigued...which singer are you referring to?

during the 80s i was a big fan of metal and i loved the music of black metal gods Venom....thier lyrics were satanic and i used to try and not get influenced by them so i did try to ignore that part...
 
Oh, heck, yes. While "hardly imagine living without" is overstating it a bit, I have a standing offer on every message board where I've ever discussed music:

$50 for a copy of Rage Against The Machine's first album, with the vocal track removed.
 
It's the same band I'm always on about, Stereolab. They are known for Marxist messages. The singer is French and they all live in London.
 
oh i just remembered..

Teenage Kicks by the Undertones...

one of the best songs ever recorded but everytime i hear the hand clapping part in the middle i just cringe...its supposed to be a punk song for gawd's sake..
 
For instance, I love the music of this song, but my political views are not in accord with the lyrics, and I argue with them in my head, unless I just let the music block them out.

It will come to us as a shock
But we’re letting it happen
People with their carelessness
Governments with their laisser-faire
Are going to lead us straight into it
That’s for sure

History will only repeat itself once more
The western world is going more and more right wing
Yearning for some sort of protection, too scared to do anythng
Not to take the path that’s dragging us down, oh no
Remember it’s in our power not to go down
I can feel it more and more
Within ten years we’ll have a war



But this has been one of my favorite songs since I first heard it, lyrics and all...

I hate to see your broken face
A lazy life of fatal waste
This world would give you anything
As long as you will want to
As long as you will want to
I hate your state of hopelessness
And that vain articulateness
Your loser type wreck wanna be
Not a pretty sight really
In another world it’d be funny

I hate to see your broken face
A lazy life of fatal waste
Of fashionable cynicism
The poison they want you to drink
Oh no man that’s too easy
Oh no man that’s too easy
We weren’t talking bout happiness
Apply your leading potential
To be useful to this planet
The world would give you anything
As long as you will want to
As long as you will want to
 
I have a similar, though not exactly the same, problem with the Cherry Poppin' Daddies and the Scabs.

Great music, disgusting lyrics. I try to ignore it, but it keeps me from enjoying the music as much as I could.
 
The International Noise Conspiracy are big time communists. I try not to let it bother me. I don't think any less of them, even though I couldn't disagree with their lyrics any more. In fact, I usually laugh at the lyrics.

Such songs as Abolish Work and Capitalism Stole My Virginity really stand out as super-commie songs.

If you want to hear disgusting lyrics, check out Peaches. Her newest album is entitled Father****er. It's pretty good music if you can get past the lyrics.
 
Back