The Audi R8 Is Dying And There's No Successor.

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 10 comments

Turbo

(Banned)
United States
Elizabeth, New Jersey
Yep, it's official. A pretty sad day for car enthusiasts. Audi technical development boss Peter Martens confirmed that the current R8 will soon be on it's way out, and there will not be any 3rd generation or successor. It is most likely being phased out due to the fact that it's a weak seller, and Audi wants to shift it's focus on electric vehicles. The exact date of the cease of production is not yet known.

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/03/a...ment-boss-reportedly-confirms-r8-will-phased/

1) As long as the Huracan is still going, I'm sure the current R8 will make it on. This current gen. is only 3 years old where as the first gen. survived nearly as long as its Gallardo platform.
2) Said Huracan likely plays a role in slow sales; I believe Lamborghini just recently built their 10,000th car for the model making it a huge success. The R8 as it sits, is only $35,000 cheaper than a Huracan with the R8 Plus at just $5,000 in difference. Take into account VAG has to make sure the German doesn't surpass the Italian, either. And given the market of these cars, that's not a whole lot of difference for those buyers so I'm sure many are more than willing to splurge extra dough for the Lambo.

They did. Production ended less than 100 cars, and the cost was insane.

I had to look that up because I actually didn't believe it. I don't recall ever seeing a single piece of promotional literature for it. Wild. Cost $1M +.

They showed an R8 E-tron like a decade ago. I feel like they should build that.

The one they never got round to building (bar a concept car)was the R8 V12 Tdi. With dieselgate and the imminent death of the R8 I don't think it ever will happen either.

Perhaps Audi could do the last few R8's as a Lamborghini killer special edition and let the car go out on a high.

The one they never got round to building (bar a concept car)was the R8 V12 Tdi. With dieselgate and the imminent death of the R8 I don't think it ever will happen either.

Perhaps Audi could do the last few R8's as a Lamborghini killer special edition and let the car go out on a high.
It’d have to be a pretty big high considering the Performante is one of the top track cars out on the market.

Which would then make everyone else go, “Wtf Audi? Now you build a badass R8?”

Latest Posts

Back