"The best racing announcer is..."

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 43 comments
Alan (me me me) Jones commentating? friggen useless IMO, on one occasion (the season 9 lost the GP coverage) he said that he had no idea why Ferrari where at the head of the pit lane, this coming from a guy that won the world championship
A spstics worst nighmare doesnt quite cover it really

So in the case of Mr. Leigh Diffey, what were some of his announcing duties in his native Australia?

Now if you want to read about Speed Channel on-air personalities, here is a website courtesy of speedtv.com:
http://www.speedtv.com/speed/talent.php

Now to the three great commentators mentioned, here are quick links to Bob Varsha, David Hobbs, and Leigh Diffey respectively:

http://www.speedtv.com/speed/bio/149/
http://www.speedtv.com/speed/bio/134/
http://www.speedtv.com/speed/bio/127/

It's a shame I either can't remember or never heard of Murray Walker's commentary. I would have been laughing my butt off with him. Your average Joe or Jill would say that some of his false statements are for real. When typing in "David Hobbs," I can hear him right now talking about "schmozzles." I'd elect a fourth member if Alain de Cadenet did commentary. He's pretty good just like all of them. A worth of information with a flair only he can provide. Anyone who's seen the "Victory by Design" series know what he's about. As I say, you know what you're getting with de Cadenet, if not with David Hobbs. Any more favorites to nominate?

Fogelhund
.... make me instantly turn the channel, and wonder how in the world the TV got on that channel in the first place. Boogity, Boogity, Boogity? Hot damn, lets go shoot us some Possum', sose wes can have sum dinner, and I can take cousin Bertha out on a date. :crazy:

On Sunday here they now show some highlights of Nascar, highlights aren't bad though. I think an entire race would bore me though. And Boogity, Boogity, Boogity? I mean, wouldn't a simple GO! suffice? Or is it some American tradition that i'm slandering?

I'm pretty sure it's a tradition of sorts. It's one of the few things NASCAR has kept in spite of its mutation throughout the years.
Whatever works I guess.

Bob Varsha went to work recently in his "Behind the Headlights" series on the Ford GT40 Mk IV (Mark 4, in case you don't know what that means, or wish not to use "Mk" and Roman Numerals). Bob Varsha of the Dartmouth, his alma mater, always seems to provide some wonderful commentary and tells it like it is. If he has to throw in a joke, he will. If he wants to educate the inexperienced, he'll surely do that. He already did that with Le Mans two weeks ago. David Hobbs needs a little love too, right? I'm sure I'll be hearing his commentary during "Legends of Motorsport" and Formula One coverage. Hobbs was a racer, having 20 Le Mans starts in his career. He never won, but he's been around in racing. In one of my posts, I kind of answered my own question. I asked about Leigh Diffey's commentating duties, and I found out that he did commentary for the Aussie V8s. But he also did commenting for MotoGP, World Rally, Formula One, and Le Mans among others. A lot of experience he's got in calling down races. He's a natural for goodness sake.

Any more announcer talk? As a bit of an extra, I'd say that as a pit announcer, Andrew Mariott is pretty cool as well. When he does pit commentary, he reports as if pit road action is just as hot as racing on the track. And sometimes it can. Sometimes, it can't. He makes it sound cool anyways. A nice diversion from NASCAR commentating for sure. I think Mariott mostly does Aussie V8 pit coverage, but I'm not sure. I know Martin Haven (can be heard during ALMS races at times) did Andros Ice Racing coverage.

So a lot of people have lots of coverage experience. But nice to have them come to the States or broadcast to us so we can hear them at work. Next reply?

For you NASCAR fans, here is your last chance this year to have a race called down with Mike Joy, Larry McReynolds, and Darrell Waltrip before Alan Bestwick and company take over for NBC. Good news is that FOX backs off of NASCAR. Bad news is that... well, Bestwick is dorky to me. I mean, why can't NBC host NFL games or something? I know they'll probably do some college football bowl games and regular season games, but NASCAR? My thing is, NBC already down plays ALMS coverage (and they will do the Laguna Seca race into night later this year), but show NASCAR in its entirety.

Maybe if you want to knock on NASCAR, update my "Is There Discrimination in American Auto Racing Coverage?" topic. Now in real racing, all three of my favorite picks will be in action this Independence Day weekend. Bob Varsha and David Hobbs will likely cover the Grand Prix of France at Magny-Cours, and Leigh Diffey will likely do commentary for pre-recorded coverage of the Paul Revere 250 at Daytona or whatever the race is called. So take your pick and have a good weekend.

I stayed up this afternoon, and for the first time, I heard Leigh Diffey calling down the Queensland round of the V8 Supercar Series. He was joined up with Neil Crompton for this one. Diffey is Australian, of course. It was nice of him to come out to America and call down our road racing action, including Le Mans overseas. His resume includes V8 Supercars. I think he's pretty good, but I'd sure love to see how Murray Walker would do here in the States. I bet he'd be like "Tom Kristensen is leading Hour 25 of 24!" :lol:👍

Oi Drifting4Neva - whose the guy who does the Shell Helix commentary? Not the presenter guy but the guy that goes to the track. His name is on the tip of my tongue but all I can think of is 'The Screaming Skull'... :mad: He pisses me off something terrible...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the man who took over for Economaki as "The Voice of the 500", Bob Jenkins.

Bob Jenkins is one of the classiest and most respectful people in motorsports journalism and listening to him on the radio during the Indy 500 truly is a joy. Come Memorial Day this year, try to find the 500 on the radio around the midpoint of the race and turn off the TV and feel just how much depth and emotion and reality Jenkins brings to the competition of the 500.

Back