The bible of motorcycle racing

Want to learn how to race motorcycles? There is only one book you need.

Twist of the Wrist (1+2) by Kieth Code

He has tought many winning GP riders how to walk the walk.
When you read this book, youll have an epiphany each page (especially if you ride in real life). But its all applicable to TT. Youll then realise what an increadible job PD did of this sim.

Get it *NOW*

Since I'm looking at getting a bike myself, I think I might check it out. Thanks for the info!

If your seriusly considering getting a bike... for the love of got, take an msf course http://www.msf-usa.org/ And buy 'Motorcylcing Excellence'.

Twist of the Wrist is a great read either way. It also applies to street riding, but it is heavily biased towards racing.

A great book for real world sport-bike riding is: Sport Riding Techniques

Just be carefull about what you buy as a first bike... a 600cc supersport may sound like a small, not too powerfull bike.. but its WAY more than a novice can handle. Its a real racebike. These things go faster than ferraris.

Even a 'newbie' bike will be faster than most people will ever be. Its all about the rider in the end. A great rider on a sv-650 will embarrass an 'ok' rider on the latest cbgszx-1000RR evry time.

Unless your just drag racing.. but my dog on a fast bike could win a drag race..

Oh I just want a nice old bike that will cruise down the freeway, I couldn't even begin to handle something like an R6. I want to have fun, not end up dead.

Hehe, well, sounds like you have the right idea. I used to go on long (500 mile) rides through the mountains, dragging knee and generally hauling ass through the twisty bits. Eventually, it cought up with me and I blasted myself into a guardrail. F'ed up my collarbone and hip royally. Now I just keep it on the track!

Hope the mods think of this more as informative instead of advertising:scared:
But I think it's a nice tip!:dopey:

I love cars in general, and love GT4 but lately I began to like motorcycles as well, because of the enormous driver aspect. I'm sometimes jealous when I see some motorcyclist just cruising down the high way, or around the city. If I will get a car, I want a fast one. If I will get a bike however, I don't care how fast it goes cause I would just go on my own steady pace:dopey::D

Niels
Hope the mods think of this more as informative instead of advertising:scared:
Yeh, it's not advertising to recommend a book... maybe it would be if this had been posted by Keith Code, though... :sly:

I can only second Spectres recommendation. TOTW 1 & 2 are both excellent books with some very good information. Though, as others said, they're mostly aimed at people who wants to go racing or do TrackDays...

Interesting character the good Keith Code.. Spend 18 years of his life on and off heroin, decided to start racing, not because he was fast but because he believed there was a scientific side to racing. Spend 12 years proving his point while making the fast guys faster (Rainey, Lawson etc.)

Spend your $10 wisely !...

Touring Mars
Yeh, it's not advertising to recommend a book... maybe it would be if this had been posted by Keith Code, though... :sly:

Man if he had posted it I would be on my prayer mat facing East right now infront of my TFT...

i looked up this book in my univ. library, they had it! read some and it really does help out. i lost several seconds on most tracks! great post and i am now going to buy the book :)

BMWteamPTG
i looked up this book in my univ. library, they had it! read some and it really does help out. i lost several seconds on most tracks! great post and i am now going to buy the book :)

Excellent! This guy really knows what he is talking about.. and it shows what a great job PD did on TT.. Any sim that you can apply real world technique too, and get the same results from... well, need i say more?

If you can read, understand, remember and apply what information is in these books, you will know most there is to know about riding motorcycles fast. The mysteries of how a motorcycle works will be unravelled for you!

I know first hand, I applied this info to my real world street and track riding.. its the holy grail of 2 wheel speed.

BMWteamPTG

Buy both !....

Flerbizky
Buy both !....
Amen! Not trying to advertise.. but there was also a third book in the series (and videos) that I never really read, but i hear is just as good.

I think its called 'The soft scince of motorcycle racing' or somthing like that.

The first two are essential!

Spectre600
Amen! Not trying to advertise.. but there was also a third book in the series (and videos) that I never really read, but i hear is just as good.

I think its called 'The soft scince of motorcycle racing' or somthing like that.

The first two are essential!

odd odd odd stuff... Amazon.co.uk has no mention of a TOTW 3 - at all... Got any links to any info ?...

EDIT:

The three titles listed with it, Total Control, Sport Riding Techniques, and Faster (an AWSOME motogp movie) are very very good. Get them if you can afford to. They are more street biased btw.

Back