The Blitz Dunlop ER34 Skyline.

• Thread starter FussyFez
  • 22 comments
United Kingdom
England
Image20090807013750865.jpg

Today is a good day ladies and gents.

Throughout GT5, I tried many times to get to grips with this car. It is, afterall, the only premium D1 machine in the game.

Today, in GT6, it all came together.

I'm normally one to be seen sliding about in a mid power 'missile' type car. But I've always wanted to master this monster D1 car.

So I jumped in it at Stowe, and started sliding about.

With the stock setup, this thing seems to have an understeery nature on the limit, which is great for high angle, but I was getting huge amounts of snap back if my throttle and steering weren't 100% correct, or spinning out if I get on the power too hard, too early.

So I looked at the settings.

Changed the diff to 60/60/60 and tried again.

This time things went a little smoother, but I still needed to be very aggressive to keep up with the cars movements.

I kept playing around with things until it actually felt like some of my other cars, just with about double the power.

This car is so capable, the amount of lock you get is astonishing.

My main issue is still snap back, from being a little too aggressive with my counter steering, but with the current setup, and about an hour at Stowe, I feel like a D1 King :cool:

Very rewarding to drive hard, lots of grip, lots of power, huge speed entries, lots of down force.

Anyone else manged to tame this beast?

Or was it prefect out of the box?

I started this thread because I think this car is underrated/unloved. It's a RWD 4 door D1 skyline, and its premium.

Where's the love!?

:gtpflag:

Last edited:
I decreased the downforce as much as possible for Suzuka East and can now link everything. I think part of the fun and skill of the Blitz is using snapback to transition. She ain't easy to master for sure!

I decreased the downforce as much as possible for Suzuka East and can now link everything. I think part of the fun and skill of the Blitz is using snapback to transition. She ain't easy to master for sure!
It's funny, I like it with Max Down force, seems to suit its aggressive nature.

You running stock setup or custom?

I have it a shade over 600hp and the ballast at maximum.transmission settings near identical to the XR8. Its more balanced than the XR8 but, when it boosts, i need more care. Turn 4 at Mt Panorama is a little tip toey. I just may have to dust it off and make another time attack around the mountain.

I have it a shade over 600hp and the ballast at maximum.transmission settings near identical to the XR8. Its more balanced than the XR8 but, when it boosts, i need more care. Turn 4 at Mt Panorama is a little tip toey. I just may have to dust it off and make another time attack around the mountain.
Nice, I used to use the blue re amemiya rx7 for drifting in gt5, only to learn it was built for touge. Then, in gt6, it's stock setup is magnificent for touge, so it gets used for grip, but I can understand using a car for purposes that it wasn't originally intended.

Wow, I could never get used to its snappy nature, compared to how docile most other cars were in GT5.

It's still snappy, even with how I have it setup now, but I'm using it to my advantage, like @hairLAD said.

Kept it stock with the diff at 5.5.6-. See if it works for you

I'll try it out tomorrow. 👍

I'm running a pretty radical setup with - 5.0 front camber :D

Feels lovely now though.

You'll likely get a lot of snapback at high speed with that much camber. But if it works for you keep using it :cheers:

You'll likely get a lot of snapback at high speed with that much camber. But if it works for you keep using it :cheers:
It's odd...

For grip cars I've been using 0.0 for the most grip. But with most of my drift cars, adding enough camber to flatten the outside tyres contact patch definitely gives me more control, and a much better feeling through the wheel.

This car has lots of castor, at low camber angles, the front tyres contact patches are both far from flat when at full opposite lock.

I really am not sure what to make of it all, but as you say, it works, so stick with it :lol:

Its also got - 3 in the rear, but again, it gives me more control over everything.

Planning on posting my setup for it tomorrow probably.

Regarding camber, I use a -6 front(V8 Supercar setting) and -2.5 rear. I even use -4.5 rear as per some WTCC/BTCC settings. My dampers and anti-sway bars are set to 1. I still have plenty of grip and control.

Regarding camber, I use a -6 front(V8 Supercar setting) and -2.5 rear. I even use -4.5 rear as per some WTCC/BTCC settings. My dampers and anti-sway bars are set to 1. I still have plenty of grip and control.
Now this is where things get strange.

I've only been able to run 0.0 on my grip tuned cars. Any real increase, especially to big numbers, just sees a drop in grip.

Many of the tests were pre 1.05, but I'm sure it's still the same.

It's a recognised 'bug'.

Hence my Inital confusion that higher camber values were giving me a better front end feel on my drift cars (whilst sideways)

But then, I run medium ARB and damper stiffness, so this could be contributing.

@FussyFez

I use the Blitz ER34 '04 Street Legal version.

Running 4 camber up front and 0.5 rear.
No problems with the grip, feels very similar to my GT5 ER34 '04.

The only problem with it is that PD decided that it needed the amount of downforce a race at gets, pretty silly considering it's a road car.

@FussyFez

I use the Blitz ER34 '04 Street Legal version.

Running 4 camber up front and 0.5 rear.
No problems with the grip, feels very similar to my GT5 ER34 '04.

The only problem with it is that PD decided that it needed the amount of downforce a race at gets, pretty silly considering it's a road car.
I still need to buy and try the '04 version. Does the intercooler still glow blue at night? :D

I want to love this car, I really do, but I just can't stand (to me at least) the twitchiness.
Yeh, this was my issue in gt5, but with my current tune, it's useable twitchiness.

It does demand a much more aggressive driving style, but I think that is the D1 character coming out.

Have you dabbled with the setup much?

Back