The Boom: OFFICIALLY DEAD

Philippines
Manila, PH
TakuKanonji22
This story takes place 30 years before the plot of the first book.

Page 1 - Departure and Arrival

Japan was enjoying great economic prosperity. Everyone became rich and they buy whatever things they have desired all their lives. It's also the time when supercars were common and roam about on the city streets - hence the name, "Supercar Boom" - and everyone would just take a brief moment to stare at those wonderful cars.

However, in a house in Kyoto, things are.... different.

A travel bag is on a bed being packed and stuffed with tons of clothes and some toiletries. The one doing it is none other than Michiharu Kanonji. He is in his early 20s - 23 years old to be exact - and has a short length spiky brown hair. He has also grown a goatee on his face. He is packing his bag whilst he hears his parents arguing downstairs. After packing, he fixes his hair and then storms out from his room. He slowly goes downstairs and tries to silence his footsteps as he sees his parents still arguing like a cat and a dog. He manages to get out of the house. It's raining heavily in the morning, but Michiharu doesn't care if he gets soaked as long as he gets out from what he calls "hell".

He arrives at the Kyoto train station. Since he could not afford a ticket to ride in a Shinkansen (Bullet Train), he decides to to take an ordinary train to Tokyo even if it would take him 6-8 hours to get there.

As he enters the train, Michiharu finally breathes a sigh of relief.

Michiharu: "Sigh... Thank goodness I'm out from this mess."

Then he goes to sleep...

Michiharu wakes up just in time as the train arrives in Tokyo. As he got out from the station, he stares at the high skyscrapers and as he walks along, he notices the vibrant atmosphere of the city. People are smiling while walking and then expensive cars are also cruising around the streets.

The long travel, plus the heavy bag made Michiharu very weary. He pulls out a paper from his pocket. What's written there is the address of the place that he intends to go to.

Michiharu: "Just how far am I going to walk just to reach this address?"

Then before he could cross the street, he stops since the light still shows red. Then he sees a blue Lancia Stratos stopping.

7519723914_f5ff6a5339_c.jpg

When the pedestrian light shows green, he crosses and then takes a glance of the car.

7519724204_cbace2999f_c.jpg

He sees a woman with a long hair driving that car.

Michiharu: "A woman, huh? Nice taste..."

Then when he got to the other side of the road, the Stratos moves and turns right as the stop light had turned green.

7519723682_f5ea0ca7d7_c.jpg

After an hour of searching, he finally arrives at the location. It's a house bigger than his house in Kyoto. He knocks on the door, and a woman who turns out to be his aunt opens it and greets him.

Aunt: "Thank goodness you've arrived!"

Michiharu: "I'm so happy to see you, Aunt Maiko."

Aunt Maiko: "You look very wet... Don't worry, the most important thing is that you're safe from your parents."

The two get inside. Michiharu puts his heavy bag on the sofa. Then his uncle goes downstairs also to meet Michiharu.

Michiharu: "Uncle Koichi!"

Uncle Koichi: "What have I told you? Your parents are nothing but trash! From now on, you'll be living happily here."

Aunt Maiko: "We have prepared a room just for you. Please go upstairs and put your things there."

Michiharu: "Thank you very much!"

He hugs the couple and then proceeds to go upstairs to his room.

Aunt Maiko: "At least he made the right choice. I feel so sorry for that man."

Uncle Koichi: "If his parents come over here, I'll slash their guts! They don't deserve to have a child."

Aunt Maiko: "Honey, I'll go prepare dinner, okay?"

Uncle Koichi: "Okay. Just make sure you whip up a nice dinner for Michiharu."

Aunt Maiko heads to the kitchen while Uncle Koichi goes to the garage and then starts to work on his silver Nissan Skyline 2000GT-R (KPGC10).

End of Page 1

Page 2: My Life Story

Michiharu takes a hot bath after organizing his things in his room. He breathes once again a sigh of relief since he'll be starting a new life in Tokyo.

While wiping himself after the bath, he gazes at the window. It's very sunny in contrast to Kyoto's overcast weather.

After dressing up, he heads downstairs, looking for Uncle Koichi.

Michiharu: "I wonder where's Uncle?"

Aunt Maiko heads out from the kitchen while mixing the ingredients in a hot pot.

Aunt Maiko: "He's at the garage."

He heads to the garage and sees his uncle working on his Skyline 2000GT-R.

Michiharu: "I've heard that this is an expensive car."

Uncle Koichi: "Indeed, but not as expensive as those rich punks' Ferraris."

Michiharu: "I see."

Uncle Koichi: "Those rich kids just love to show off their ultra-expensive cars yet don't know how to drive them. This, however, is a real man's car!"

Michiharu: "Hehehe. Well, will you use it?"

Uncle Koichi: "Of course! Care to come along this weekend?"

Michiharu: "Sure... No problem. Anyways, I'm heading out to get some fresh air."

Uncle Koichi: "Take care, boy."

He heads outside and takes a stroll around the neighborhood. Feeling thirsty, he heads to a nearby convenience store and grabs a drink. While drinking outside the store, he sees a robber brandishing a knife to a man in a suit. The man is terrified and shaking in fear.

After finishing his canned soda, Michiharu throws it at the robber, hitting it on the head.

Robber: "What!? Who did this?"

Michiharu steps in closer to the robber.

Michiharu: "You're no worse than those punks in Kyoto. In fact, you remind me of my pops."

Robber: "You wanna die first?"

The robber strikes his knife at him. Michiharu then strikes the robber's guts using his knee. Then he punches the robber's face, knocking him down cold.

Michiharu: "You're pathetic. What's your purpose in this world, huh!? Get lost!"

The robber stands up and runs away. Then the wealthy man approaches Michiharu.

Wealthy man: "Thank you very much! Oh, by the way, my name is Gan Kurosawa. It's a pleasure to meet you.

Gan is combing his short hair while Michiharu stares at him coldly.

Michiharu: "If you want to live, then stop wearing that in public. Also your hair."

Gan: "Well, I'm working, you know? My family owns a winery."

Michiharu: "Is that so? Well, my father could buy a lot from you."

Gan: "Hey, thank you very much for saving me, really. I owe you a lot."

Michiharu: "Not a problem. By the way, my name is Michiharu Kanonji. It's nice to meet you."

Gan: "Nice to meet you too! Well, sorry to cut this short, but I have to go!"

So Gan enters in his Ferrari 512BB painted in Gold Poly. He starts up the car and leaves.

Michiharu: "A Ferrari, huh? No wonder he's a favorite target for robbers."

At sunset, he returns home. his aunt had prepared dinner just in time of his arrival.

Michiharu: "That's rather early."

Aunt Maiko: "We usually eat early dinner. Come, let's sit."

The three start having dinner.

Aunt Maiko: "You know, it's also a blessing that you chose to live with us."

Michiharu: "Why?"

Uncle Koichi: "Your aunt has a hostile womb; that was the saddest thing we've ever known."

Michiharu: "What's that supposed to mean?"

Aunt Maiko: "I can't bear a child. It's really sad, but at least we're still happy being with each other. Now, we're happier than ever!"

Michiharu: "Really? I wished my parents were like that."

Uncle Koichi: "We promise that your life will be much better here."

Then they continue to eat their supper.

Michiharu steps out once again, this time he puts on a jacket since it's rather cold. He takes a stroll at the streets, when suddenly, Gan's 512BB arrives. Gan rolls down the window.

Gan: "Hey there. You have time?"

Michiharu: "What do you want?"

Gan: "Hop in. We'll have a ride."

Michiharu gets in the car and then they leave. They headed at the Shuto Expressway. Upon entering, Gan hits the accelerator pedal hard and the supercar speeds away.

Michiharu: "So this is what rich kids do with their supercars, huh?"

7523706874_1f7f4dc4ba_c.jpg

Gan: "I'm not just a rich kid, I'm also a racer!"

Michiharu: "A street racer? or a PRO racer?"

Gan: "Actually... a little bit of both."

The 512BB is clocking in at speeds of 250 KM/H and rising.

7523706546_d6ecbe19be_c.jpg

Gan: "One of the fastest production cars in the world! It is said to hit 302 KM/H! Well, let's try that out!"

However, Gan slows down first since they are about to enter a junction and make a turn.

7523707140_7cce2d8e68_c.jpg

Then they once again enter the highway and Gan attempts once again to hit 302 KM/H as Ferrari claimed.

At the tunnel, the car hits 290 KM/H. Gan steps at his hardest, but the car won't increase speed any further.

7523707518_c3725edf3a_c.jpg

Gan: "290 KM/H... Not bad. Not that far off from Ferrari's claims."

He sees that Michiharu is just spaced out looking at the window.

Gan: "You okay? Huh, you're just impressive. My friends would usually freak out at this kind of speed."

Michiharu: "I'm fine."

Gan eases off the accelerator and the car decelerates until the cruising speed of 100 KM/H.

Gan: "So, where do you live, by the way?"

Michiharu: "I'm from Kyoto. But I live now with my aunt and uncle's house here in Tokyo. Life in Kyoto is hell for me."

Gan: "Why?"

Michiharu: "You really have to ask for my life story? Okay then..."

Gan: "Hey, we have a lot of road before we can turn back home. We have a lot of time."

7523707892_8b3ef87924_c.jpg

Michiharu: "I never really had a good life. My parents treat me badly, and I got into fights with some thugs and other locals."

Gan: "I'm sorry to hear that."

Michiharu: "I just had enough... This morning, I finally got out from hell."

Gan: "That stunt you did back there to save me was just awesome."

Michiharu: "Whenever my father would come home drunk, he attacks my mother and then me. As years passed, I learned to fight back and my father ends up with a bloody face because of me. But my mother never thanked me either, and continued on bashing me."

Gan: "Why were your parents are like that?"

Michiharu: "They said that I was an accident. They spent a night together when they were in their teens and, boom. My mother was knocked up."

Gan: "No one deserves parents like that."

Michiharu: "For now, I'm starting to feel happy since my aunt and my uncle treat me like a son. I now realized what an ideal parent is."

Suddenly, fast car is approaching. The two notice it at the rear view mirror.

7523708172_468d4696b0_c.jpg

Gan: "Something really fast is coming up. I'll give way."

Then it blitzes through them.

7523708420_8e0479e5e6_c.jpg

Gan: "A Lamborghini Countach LP400!"

Michiharu: "A Countach?"

Gan: "The sworn enemy of this car. In fact, this is the most epic rivalry of this generation! Whenever one buys a 512BB, another one buys a Countach. Both of them can exceed 300 KM/H!"

Michiharu: "So 300 KM/H is something that racers go for, huh?"

7523708726_2b7b4588bc_c.jpg

Gan: "On a production sports car, 300 KM/H is hard to achieve, really. The Countach can reach that kind of speed too. It pains me to say this, but the Countach is lighter and... more iconic."

Michiharu: "What's up with you and racers these days? Why waste money on beautiful and fast cars, and fuel?"

Gan: "Exotics like this one is something that everyone wants to have. And when they have it, they want to enjoy it to the fullest! Speed is addicting, and there's no cure for it! Whenever you mash the throttle with this kind of car, it makes you want to go faster."

Then they exit the highway and then Gan drops off where Michiharu lives.

Gan: "Hey. Thanks for the company."

Michiharu: "No problem... And actually, I got to unload a lot of bad stuff from my chest. I feel fine now."

Gan: "We'll see each other again. Bye!"

Gan leaves and then Michiharu returns inside the house.

End of Page 2

Page 3 - A Weekend With The Hakosuka

When Michiharu enters the house, he sees Uncle Koichi watching at the television. Then Michiharu goes upstairs and then his uncle calls him out.

Michiharu: "Yes?"

Uncle Koichi: "You have to sleep now. We are going to a racetrack just at the outskirts of the city."

Michiharu: "Oh right. Well, I will really go to sleep now. A lot has happened today."

Uncle Koichi: "Sweet dreams, boy."

Upon entering his room, Michiharu takes off his jacket and hangs it at the closet. He takes off his socks and hops on the bed.

Michiharu: "I think I'm liking it here. Uncle and Auntie treat me like their own son."

Then he closes his eyes to sleep.

Suddenly, he once again dreams on what happened a while ago. The sheer speed of the 512BB and the excitement on Gan's face.

Michiharu: "Now I get it... Speed does feel exhilarating. Even I was about to feel excited back there. The noise of the engine, the shifting of gears, and stomping on the pedals could be exciting. No wonder Gan was so excited."

"Though I think it's only for the privileged..."

The next day, Michiharu wakes up early. He scratches his head upon rising from the bed. He rises up the curtains and blocks his eye with his hand upon seeing the shining morning sun glaring at him. Uncle Koichi knocks on the door.

Uncle Koichi: "Breakfast is served, Michiharu."

Michiharu: "Okay."

He heads downstairs and joins the couple for breakfast. Upon sitting down, Aunt Maiko serves him Natto on a rice bowl and a hot cup of miso soup.

Aunt Maiko: "Enjoy. It's my specialty."

Uncle Koichi: "I told you that we should run a business. We can earn more by your so-called specialty."

Aunt Maiko: "But our car parts shop earns enough money for us to live."

Michiharu breaks the chopsticks and starts to eat.

Michiharu: "Mmmmmm... tastes good. My mother never made me breakfast, you know?"

Aunt Maiko: "Now you realize how important breakfast is. Look at you, you are skinny and weak. No child deserves parents like that."

Michiharu: "I guess so."

Uncle Koichi: "I'll prepare the car. We'll leave after you have dressed up. Hurry up, boy."

An hour later, Michiharu and Koichi leave the house and head for the highway.

Michiharu: "Where is this racetrack?"

Uncle Koichi: "It's just 2 hours away from here, son."

Michiharu: "Oh. Well, I'll just gaze at the sunny sky as you drive along."

Uncle Koichi: "Michiharu, are you okay?"

Michiharu smiles

Michiharu: "I'm okay, Ojisan..."

Uncle Koichi: "Don't think about the past... You are now enjoying your new life here... as a human being."

Michiharu: "Hey, I want to work on your shop, just to repay you. I can't be a freeloader; it's just embarrassing."

Uncle Koichi: "Look, we want you to have a job you could ever want. Sure, you can work on my shop, but I suggest that you take on the path you want. You have a free will."

They have arrived a small racetrack located in Yokohama prefecture. There are only a few sports cars running in the track. They have managed to find a pit garage for the GT-R. Koichi opens the hood and Michiharu is just stunned at the engine.

Michiharu: "Wow..."

Uncle Koichi: "This is a race-bred engine, boy! This is from the legendary R380 racing car! It's a 2 liter, 6 cylinder motor with 3 carburetors. I have worked on this engine for long, and as a result, it has 200 horsepower."

Michiharu: "Hehehehehe... ("I don't understand one bit from that statement.")

After putting down the hood, Koichi tosses the keys to Michiharu and the latter catches them.

Michiharu: "What?"

Uncle Koichi: "I'll teach you how to handle her. Now get in."

Michiharu: "But..."

Uncle Koichi: "Relax. It doesn't matter if you are too slow for the first lap. You are learning, after all."

The two get in the car. Michiharu starts up the engine.

Uncle Koichi: "Put your left foot on the clutch."

So the boy just follows the instruction.

Uncle Koichi: "After you put down the handrake, slowly release the clutch while simultaneously stepping on the accelerator with your right foot."

Michiharu slowly releases the clutch while also slowly stepping on the accelerator. The car moves away smoothly and exits the pit lane.

Uncle Koichi: "Good job! You learn fast! Most kids would rather stall their car's engines when they drive with a manual transmission."

Michiharu: "This is great!"

Uncle Koichi: "Then bury your right foot. Step the accelerator hard."

Michiharu's head hits the seat's headrest as the 200 HP GT-R accelerates.

Michiharu: "Woah!"

7523709216_de340c57c7_c.jpg

Uncle Koichi: "When the needle of the tachometer reaches on the redline, change up a gear. To do that, just press the clutch, release the accelerator and and put the gear lever to 2nd gear and then hit the accelerator again."

Upon reaching its maximum RPM, Michiharu changes gears slowly, but surely.

Uncle Koichi: "It's okay. Next time it should be faster."

Then the car approaches at the first corner.

Uncle Koichi: "Then step on the brakes hard!"

The boy just follows Koichi's instructions.

Uncle Koichi: "Then put the sole of your right foot on the gas while your left foot is on the clutch and simultaneously change back gears. That's what you call heel-and toe downshift."

Michiharu performs the heel-and-toe downshift, and the ideal RPM is reached.

Uncle Koichi: "Very good!"

Michiharu: "Last night, a friend of mine brought me into the highway and he sped up his car. I kinda observed his footwork."

Uncle Koichi: "That's a good start. Now turn!"

7523709646_b42781723c_c.jpg

The car turns and clips the apex.

Uncle Koichi: "Aim for those stripes on these turns. They're called the Apex. Racers use these as part of their racing line. Always slow down before the corner and turn with the optimum speed."

7523710050_7732f3d1dd_c.jpg

The GT-R is on another straightaway.

Uncle Koichi: "Now just bury your foot at the accelerator on the straights. Speed is the essence here."

Then it approaches another corner. Michiharu steps on the brakes and performs the heel-and-toe downshift once more up to the 2nd gear and turns right.

7523710412_4c239860d3_c.jpg

Uncle Koichi: "Not bad. You learn really fast! It's a shame that your parents don't know that talent of yours."

Michiharu: "Now I'm starting to understand why speed is exhilarating. It's actually fun to do this!"

7523705660_0945fd9261_c.jpg

Uncle Koichi: "Okay, we're starting the 2nd lap. Just keep doing what I've taught you, and you'll be faster."

End of page 3

After taking the pics, I just found out that Motegi was opened in 1997; not in tune with the time setting of this story. So I just simulated a small track instead. Please bear with me. :scared:

Page 4 - The Alluring Stratos Driver

After a few laps, they decided to take a break and enter the pit lane. Then Koichi checks the car as Michiharu is out and observes the other cars setting lap times in the circuit.

Michiharu: "Everyone is going for it... The moment you sit behind the wheel, you want to go faster and faster and be better than everyone else."

Then the blue Stratos arrives as well.

Michiharu: "That car..."

Stepping out of the car is a female racing driver. She wears a fitted blue spandex suit that shows off her curvaceous figure and a white helmet. Her boots are also white, but her gloves are black. Upon taking off her helmet, her brown long hair just waves with the wind. Michiharu couldn't help but stare, and Koichi just taps his shoulder.

Uncle Koichi: "She's one hell of a racing driver, huh?"

Michiharu: "Uh.. Ummm.... yeah. She's beautiful."

Uncle Koichi: "And her car as well. That Lancia Stratos is a serious track car, you know? 200 horsepower V6 constructed by none other than Ferrari! Then it weighs a lot less than a ton! Plus, it's a mid-engined layout like a Formula 1 car!"

The woman approaches them, and Michiharu gulps.

Woman: "Excuse me, where's the bathroom?"

Michiharu briefly stares at the woman's chest and then suddenly looks at her face.

Michiharu: "Uh... Uh.... Ummmmm.... oh at the left."

Woman: "Thank you."

So the woman heads to the restroom as Michiharu could not take his eyes off her.

Uncle Koichi: "Oh... someone is attracted."

Michiharu: "Huh? Oh let's just check on the car, Ojisan!"

The two resume their fine-tuning on the GT-R. Then the woman passes by once more, and Michiharu stares at her again.

Uncle Koichi: "Keep staring, boy. You might not see girls like her again."

Then the woman approaches them.

Woman: "Is that a GT-R? Oh my goodness! This is the first time I've seen a Hakosuka GT-R in the flesh! This is a rare car! Wonderful!"

Uncle Koichi: "Of course. Though it's a shame that Nissan produced a few of them."

Woman: "Oh by the way, my name is Tomoko Yamamoto. I belong in a racing team and I race every weekend to kill some time while the racing season is out."

Michiharu: "N-N-Nice... to meet you."

Tomoko: "Aren't you a charming man, Mr...."

Michiharu: "I am Michiharu Kanonji."

Tomoko: "And a nice name too. Well, it's nice seeing you guys here. I'll do some practice laps here as I wait for my colleague."

Michiharu: "O... Okay."

She gets back to her Stratos and starts her warm-up lap.

Michiharu: "She's.... alluring."

Then the two head out to see how the Stratos performs.

7561093328_8f1e765d6a_c.jpg

Michiharu: "That's fast."

Uncle Koichi: "Yes it is, boy. What did I tell ya?"

Tomoko carefully controls her steering inputs as she faces the corners.

7561093642_08c7ed3b9f_c.jpg

Tomoko: "This car can be a handful to drive."

7561093958_5ec31bf3db_c.jpg

The Stratos display amazing acceleration thanks to its lightweight frame. Then she brakes late as the car approaches another corner.

7561094590_a5253be119_c.jpg

The car corners effortlessly, thanks once again to Tomoko's careful steering and throttle inputs.

7561094220_285822caaa_c.jpg

Then Michiharu sees the car closing in to the finish line.

7561094896_15be74c1d2_c.jpg

Michiharu: "Woah... amazing cornering skills."

However, at the last corner before the main straight, the Stratos loses grip and then she manages to countersteer. As a result, a magnificent drift is performed.

7561093002_c7630bca00_c.jpg

Uncle Koichi: "She can catch it. She can catch it!"

Michiharu: "What's that called?"

Uncle Koichi: "It's called oversteer, boy. The Stratos is also notorious for that since it has narrow wheels and a small wheelbase."

Then the Stratos starts another lap.

Meanwhile, in Monaco, a heavily tuned red Lamborghini Miura blasts through a tunnel. The racing exhausts emit a loud sound that echoes all throughout the tunnel.

7561189644_44d1e5d789_c.jpg

End of Page 4

Page 5 - The Miura From Hell

In Rome, Italy, crowds have gathered as if there is to watch. It seems that there is an event going on.

In fact, there really is. It's a sanctioned race for privateer teams who wish to earn a spot in the big leagues.

The race has started, the cars have lined up for the rolling start.

7567134120_48a9e3535e_c.jpg

Along with the competition is a red Lamborghini Miura. This is no ordinary Miura, either; it's been tuned for racing.

7567134528_a2982cbfb7_c.jpg

Then the cars are going all-out. The Miura instantly passes most of its opponents in one sweep at the corner.

7567134946_be39671e64_c.jpg

Then it tails a Lamborghini Countach and seems to play with it...

7567135244_abcd9ac775_c.jpg

At the straight, the Miura finally moves to the other line and starts to display its highly-tuned engine's power.

7567135642_5144bcbce0_c.jpg

And easily overtakes the Countach.

7567135992_50451c1715_c.jpg

The crowd is shocked to see how the Miura easily leaves its rivals away.

7567136344_e931bce690_c.jpg

7567136638_d9ffe47c2d_c.jpg

It briefly shows off in front of the audience.

7567136878_e836508994_c.jpg

And then it picks up speed in an instant.

7567133688_0726d093ba_c.jpg

Back in Japan, Michiharu and Koichi have arrived home at the evening. Koichi shakes the sleeping Michiharu.

Uncle Koichi: "Hey, we're home, son."

Michiharu wakes up, stretches his arms and scratches his eyes.

Michiharu: "Okay..."

Uncle Koichi: "You must be tired, obviously. At least you've learned a lot today."

Michiharu: "Ojisan... Maybe we should do this every week?"

Uncle Koichi: "Sure! Anything for you!"

Michiharu: "It was fun. And..."

Uncle Koichi: "Love at first sight? Come on, I know how you feel. I'm sure you're dreaming about her as you sleep."

Michiharu: "Hey! Um...."

Uncle Koichi: "Someone here is attracted to that woman. Oh well, he has good taste. But competition is along the way, hehehehe."

Michiharu: "She's very beautiful... Her long hair already made me attracted to her."

Uncle Koichi: "Ooooh. So you have a thing for a girl's hair, huh?"

Michiharu: "Ojisan, I'm hungry."

Uncle Koichi: "Oh, changing the subject, huh? Oh well, me too actually."

The two step out from the car and enter the house to eat dinner.

After the race, the Miura returns to the pits. Then a bald man who is the crew chief approaches the car. Then the driver of the Miura steps out as well. The driver takes off the helmet and it reveals a man in his mid-20s. He has a yellow hair and and blue eyes.

Crew Chief: "So, how's the car doing, Richard?"

Richard: "Perfect. I'm glad that I followed your advice."

Crew Chief: "Of course! It took me a lot of effort to source those parts!"

Richard: "So then, when and where is the next race?"

Crew Chief: "About 2 weeks from now. Oh, it would be held in Japan. Don't worry, I have already prepared a car for you there. You can't use your Miura in that next race, I'm afraid."

Richard: "It's all right. Whatever the car I drive, I bring it to victory! Japan, huh? The country whose soldiers love to chop off the legs of their enemies. Just like what happened to my father during the war. Ugh... I'm not fond going there."

Crew Chief: "If you want to be the greatest, then you should be prepared to whatever challenge you face. Even if it's personal..."

Richard: "All right. I'll go. Seems fun, anyway."

The racer's full name is Richard Sommers. He is an American race car driver that has started racing 3 years ago. He seems to have a vendetta against the Japanese....

End of Page 5

Awesome chapter!

I'm still planning my revenge on that Miura though. Haha:lol: That thing seriously outran my SV on Fuji.:indiff:

Awesome chapter!

I'm still planning my revenge on that Miura though. Haha:lol: That thing seriously outran my SV on Fuji.:indiff:

Well actually, the Miura is already considered a "broken" car in the game. Even though it's a prototype, its specs are actually based on the P400 production model.

You'll really be surprised how amazing the Miura's acceleration is in the game.

Page 6 - Earning a Contempt

While Koichi is working on his GT-R, Michiharu enters the garage once again and glances at the car.

Michiharu: "Ojisan, are we going again this weekend?"

Uncle Koichi: "Sure! In fact, I plan to go to Tsukuba Circuit."

Michiharu: "Tsukuba?"

Uncle Koichi: "It was opened 10 years ago. It's a very popular track on weekends. We're going there because of a race, and my friend wants our car to represent."

Michiharu: "I see. Well, best of luck, then."

Uncle Koichi: "You will race."

Michiharu: "Ojisan, why?"

Uncle Koichi: "He saw your performance. And he's interested. Besides, it does not matter if we win or lose; you just have to enjoy the race."

Michiharu: "Yeah, but I don't want to embarrass you."

Uncle Koichi: "You can do it, kid."

Koichi taps on Michiharu's shoulder.

At the evening, Richard and his racing crew have arrived in Tokyo. Upon checking in the hotel, Richard couldn't help but feel annoyed.

Crew Chief: "What's wrong, Richard?"

Richard: "I just don't like being in a country that I hate so much. I'm sorry."

Crew Chief: "Don't worry. After the race, we'll leave immediately."

Richard: "What am I going to drive, anyway?"

Crew Chief: "A Mazda Cosmo."

Richard: "As I expected. I'm gonna drive a Japanese econobox."

Crew Chief: "It has a potent rotary engine, you know?"

Richard: "Rotary engines are too small for my taste. A real engine for me is 427 cubic inch motor."

Crew Chief: "You have to be open-minded. Especially to your fans. You'll lose your career if you keep that attitude of yours."

Richard: "Where are we going this weekend?"

Crew Chief: "It's in Tsukuba Circuit. It's a technical track and it's very popular."

Richard: "I see. Then let's go see my car."

Crew Chief: "Okay then."

After organizing things in their rooms, the two head out to check on the car that Richard will use for the race.

Meanwhile, in the city center of Tokyo, Tomoko is strolling around the park and breathes a gasp of air. Suddenly, a black Lamborghini Countach LP400 arrives, and then coming out of the car is a British race car driver named Ben McCarthy. Ben is Tomoko's racing partner.

Tomoko: "Ben?"

Ben: "Oh, hi there. I am here to deliver a bad news."

Tomoko: "What is it?"

Ben: "Our third driver died yesterday."

Tomoko: "Oh no! Why?"

Ben: "He had been killed in a car accident. Well, we have to look for another one immediately."

Tomoko: "Oh dear! He's such a great asset, you know?"

Ben: "I agree. Hmmmm.... maybe we could find another one this weekend. Though I believe that it'll be hard to replace him."

Tomoko: "Really!?"

Ben: "There is a race for privateer teams in Tsukuba this Saturday. We will go there to find a potential recruit."

Tomoko: "Sounds like a wonderful idea. Let's go."

Saturday morning at Tsukuba, large amounts of people have started to fill the bleachers. Racing crews have also gathered at the pit lane as well. Koichi and Michiharu have found a pit garage and then starts to work on the GT-R.

Michiharu: "Looking at those teams, I'm sure it will be a so difficult. Look at them, they have organized pit crews and they have lots of power tools at their disposal!"

Koichi: "Tools and setups are nothing if you have no skill to back them up. Oh, you'll be wearing this."

Koichi shows a racing suit and helmet for Michiharu to wear.

Michiharu wears them.

Michiharu: "They fit. I'm fine."

Koichi: "Good! You really look good wearing those! Haha!"

At the other pit garage, Richard and his crew are also busy setting up the Mazda Cosmo.

Richard: "I must admit though, it looks good."

Crew Chief: "Well, it sure does. Okay then, make sure you grab a victory on this one, okay?"

Richard: "No problem!"

The race is about to start. Michiharu enters the GT-R.

Michiharu: "I'm nervous."

Uncle Koichi: "Just do what you ought to do, boy. The most important thing is, have fun."

Michiharu tightens his grip on the steering wheel. And then he accelerates the car out of the pit lane.

While they are lined up at the rolling start, Richard just looks at his competitors.

Richard: "I wonder why these people enjoy racing these underpowered machines? I already miss my Miura, you know?"

Then the race has started. Michiharu sets his sights on the KenMeri GT-R.

7573850596_a33450546a_c.jpg

He passes it just as they approach the corner. The Hakosuka overtakes another opponent at the outside lane of the first corner.

7573851060_2063712921_c.jpg

Michiharu: "I like this car. It has legendary status and one can tell why..."

At the next hairpin, Richard sees the GT-R behind him.

7573851484_962383ee22_c.jpg

Richard: "A Datsun? I don't know... but it sure is fast."

The GT-R is like buzzing around behind the Cosmo.

Richard: "This car really is pathetic. It does not rev at all... The car behind me is just like a fly swarming around the food."

At the bleachers, Ben and Tomoko have found themselves their seats and then watch the race. Tomoko sees the Hakosuka in action.

Tomoko: "That's the Hakosuka I'm talking about, Ben. Look! It's really fast! I know the person who owns that. And maybe we can ask him to join our team!"

7573851886_9a931b8fd5_c.jpg

Michiharu: "The car in front of me is a good blocker. Well then, I'll overtake you at the straights!"

7573852326_0e96f6a531_c.jpg

Richard is amazed at the GT-R's speed.

Richard: "Woah!"

Seeing this, Koichi smiles.

Koichi: "The S20 engine in that GT-R was taken directly from the Prince R380 racing car. I really did have to take out the original engine from that GT-R which is essentially the same. Though the one from the R380 revs higher and it has lighter internals, that's why I have to put in that GT-R. It took me a lot of fortune and effort to source that racing engine."

At the other side of the pit lane, Gan is also present. He is the 2nd driver in his team. Upon learning that the Hakosuka instantly overtakes his team's car, he couldn't help but feel worried.

Gan: "Oh great. GT-Rs are monsters in the battlefield. They're hard to find and expensive too!"

7573852806_3272d1de49_c.jpg

Michiharu is at 2nd place and the Dome Zero is just the one standing in his way to victory.

Michiharu: "I can't believe it... I'm in 2nd place! Is this a dream!?"

7573853252_80997481e5_c.jpg

Michiharu: "Okay, time to attack!"

Although, Michiharu can't seem to find a spot where to overtake since the Dome Zero blocks the GT-R.

7573853676_6ab76fd07f_c.jpg

Michiharu: "Nice block."

7573854102_a0657d4401_c.jpg

Then at the straight, he floors the throttle.

Michiharu: "Let's go, GT-R!"

The 200 HP racing engine roars and then easily overtakes the opponent. Then the GT-R shows its cornering prowess as well. Michiharu's right foot is just planted on the accelerator.

7573854532_47e8476c97_c.jpg

Michiharu: "All right, just get to the apex, like what Ojisan had said."

7573855038_8e2f245db0_c.jpg

Then the GT-R outruns its opponents.

7573850236_4b5250a2e9_c.jpg

Richard: "I can't believe that this is happening! Damn, I was unprepared!"

After the race, Michiharu stands at the 1st place podium while Richard is at the 3rd place. Richard looks at Michiharu with hatred on his eyes.

When they go down, Richard reaches out his hand to Michiharu.

Richard: "Hi. My name is Richard Sommers. It's very nice to meet you. What you did back there is impressive."

Michiharu shakes hands with Richard.

Michiharu: "Yoroshiku. Shikashi, Eigo wo wakarimasen. Gomenasai."

Michiharu just bows as a sign of courtesy.

Richard: "It seems that you don't understand English at all. It's okay, I have no hard feelings. Well then, see ya."

As Richard walks away, he clenches his fists.

Richard: "It's not yet over, punk. I'll have revenge soon...."

Michiharu returns to the pits and takes off his helmet to cool off. Then Koichi arrives and gives Michiharu a pat on the back.

Uncle Koichi: "You did it, boy! What did I tell you?"

Michiharu: "Ehehhehehehe.... Maybe it's just luck."

Uncle Koichi: "Of course it's not luck! You won because of your skills! What you did there is simply amazing!"

Then Tomoko and Ben locate Michiharu.

Tomoko: "Wow, that was amazing! I didn't know that you have the skills!"

Michiharu: "Well... um... uh..."

Tomoko: "Listen, why don't you join our team? You'll be a perfect addition!"

Michiharu: "Seriously!?"

Tomoko: "Of course! Besides, everyone is killing for this spot in my team. I'll give you a week to consider, okay? So here's my number and call me if you are ready, okay? See ya!"

Then she hands him over a paper with her phone number on it and then she and Ben walk away. Michiharu looks on the woman once again.

Michiharu: "Okay... Damn, she looks good."

Uncle Koichi: "Take that offer! No one gets opportunities like that!"

Michiharu: "I don't know, really. Shall I take it?"

Uncle Koichi: "You are looking for a job, right? Then that's the job for you! Race car drivers earn big time! And besides....

....you get to know Tomoko even more, right?"

Michiharu: "Just give me a week to think about this, okay?"

Meanwhile, after they finished packing up, Richard looks at Michiharu from far away before he can get in the van.

Richard: "I have found a worthy adversary."

Richard slides the door of the van and then the crew leaves the circuit.

End of Page 6

Page 7 - Buon Giorno, Alfa!

A week after the race, Michiharu still could not believe what he achieved on the past weekend. Now that he must give his answer to Tomoko, he feels a mix of excitement and anxiety.

Michiharu: "It would be great to join their racing team, but am I that good to I deserve such opportunity?"

He goes downstairs, still with a hesitant mind. His uncle Koichi notices the man's anxious face.

Uncle Koichi: "Is something wrong?"

Michiharu: "Ojisan, should I really join?"

Uncle Koichi: "If that makes you happy, why not? Besides, you are looking for a job, right? And your top-notch racing skills that you demonstrated in Tsukuba Circuit caught the attention of everyone watching that you attracted one of the best racing teams around the world. You could really earn a lot from racing, you know?"

Michiharu: "You think so? Guess I'll give it a try..."

Then they hear a doorbell ring, Maiko opens the door and it turns out to be Tomoko outside.

Aunt Maiko: "Oh, good morning! How can I help you?"

Tomoko: "I want to speak to Michiharu Kanonji. Is he inside?"

Aunt Maiko: "Oh sure! Hey, Michiharu! Someone wants to see you!"

Michiharu: "Obasan, who is the visitor?"

Then he is surprised to see Tomoko.

Michiharu: "To... Tomoko-san?"

Tomoko: "Hey, just call me Tomoko only, okay? Come, let's go out for a ride!"

Michiharu: "Umm... uh..."

Uncle Koichi: "It's okay. Besides, you must enjoy this weekend! Haha!"

Michiharu: "Okay..."

Michiharu steps out from the house and gets inside Tomoko's Lancia Stratos. Then they leave and head for the mountain pass at the outskirts of the city.

The blue Stratos drifts at every corner of the Hakone mountain pass. Michiharu observes the woman's steering and gearshifting actions.

7608826654_0f77c6178d_c.jpg

Michiharu: "She's a talented driver.... and..."

He briefly stares at her exposed cleavage. And then he immediately shifts his attention on the road ahead while taking a big gulp.

Tomoko: "I think taking you here will help you decide."

7608826340_b46bb1fef8_c.jpg

Michiharu: "So... How did you know my address?"

Tomoko: "It's simple. I just looked at the plate number of your uncle's Hakosuka. You can track down everyone by just looking at a car's plate number.

Michiharu: "I see. How long have you been racing?"

Tomoko: "Two years. And you know what, despite the victories and losses I have, I feel that something is missing."

7608824420_5cef417173_c.jpg

Michiharu: "What is it?"

Tomoko: "Secret!"

7608824646_7640806fcc_c.jpg

Then she puts Michiharu's left hand on the gear lever and then she put her right hand on it.

Tomoko: "Let's shift gears together. You will somehow feel how this car drives."

7608825016_771b53b75f_c.jpg

Michiharu once again gulps, and then his heart suddenly beats faster.

Michiharu: ("What is this feeling? My heart suddenly... beats faster.")

Tomoko: "Another corner coming up!"

She performs heel-and-toe and then shifts down. She turns the steering wheel at 90 degrees to the right and then countersteers using only her left hand. The Stratos displays a magnificent drift.

7608825374_8f8ecb1439_c.jpg

Michiharu: ("She's really good. No wonder she belongs to her team. Also, her hands are... soft and smooth to touch.")

Tomoko: "How's that?"

Michiharu: "Perfect!"

Tomoko: "My 2 years of racing has finally paid off! Thank you!"

Michiharu: "You're already good at controlling the car."

Tomoko: "I just wanted someone to say "perfect". It makes me feel fulfilled. It signifies that I am a worthy racer."

Tomoko: "When I entered the racing school, I was the only female student in my batch. My batch mates would laugh and mock at me since I am a woman. But as time passed by, I proved them all wrong."

Michiharu: "For me, gender does not matter."

Tomoko: "Actually, I don't own this car. When it was my first time racing under Ben's team, this is the car that I've driven. I instantly fell in love with this, and he even let me keep this car! You know, once you understand what your car can do, you'll fall in love with it! And that love will never go away! Same goes for racing, you know? Look, the way you raced in Tsukuba last week, it's as if you fell in love with your Hakosuka."

Michiharu: "I agree..."

After that brief detour, they finally head to Ben's condominium unit in Roppongi. Ben lets them in and sit down at the living room.

Ben: "Want some coffee, ummmm...."

Tomoko: "His name is Michiharu Kanonji."

Ben: "Nice to meet you, Michiharu."

Ben and Michiharu shake hands.

Ben: "So, have you decided?"

Michiharu: "Well, after consulting with my aunt and uncle, I have decided to join."

Ben: "What, are they strict?"

Michiharu: "I was hesitating during the entire week. So, I asked for their pieces of advice. Well, I don't want to leave them, actually."

Ben: "Well, you are leaving them. Your first race will be in Monaco in Europe, actually."

Ben: "A professional racer's life is like a nomad. They go at different places around the world just to race."

Michiharu: "Now I understand why racing is so exhilarating. Tomoko had demonstrated that a while ago."

Ben: "So, what's your decision?"

Michiharu: "Count me in."

Another week has passed. Michiharu is packing his bag for the trip. He takes a last look at the mirror.

He goes downstairs and then he is greeted by Maiko and the two hug.

Aunt Maiko: "Have fun, okay?"

Michiharu: "Obasan, I'll miss you so much!"

Aunt Maiko: "Me too."

Michiharu: "Where's ojisan?"

Aunt Maiko: "At the garage."

Michiharu heads to the garage. As usual, Koichi is working on his Hakosuka.

Uncle Koichi: "Have a safe trip, boy. I'll miss you."

Michiharu: "I'll miss you and this car too."

Uncle Koichi: "You know, you are like our son. This place will not be the same as you leave!"

Michiharu: "Don't worry, I'll visit you whenever I'm free, okay?"

Koichi wipes his tears and hugs Michiharu.

Uncle Koichi: "Just have fun, okay? Well, I think you have to go, you will be late for your flight."

Michiharu bids farewell to the couple as he steps out from the house. Then he gets in the van.

In the van, Michiharu also wipes his tears as the van moves away. Tomoko is inside as well.

Tomoko: "What a lovely couple."

Michiharu: "I consider them as my parents. And I will miss them so much."

Tomoko: "I know how you feel."

Michiharu: "Where is Ben-san?"

Tomoko: "He's waiting at the airport."

After several hours of flight, they have landed in Italy at noon. They first passed by at a restaurant to have some lunch. Michiharu couldn't help but get amazed at the surroundings.

Tomoko: "It's also my first time in Europe, you know? I have always dreamed of going here!"

Michiharu: "It surely is a wonderful place."

Ben: "Chaps, we are meeting someone today."

Tomoko: "Really? Who is that person?"

Ben: "He is my friend who is works all of our cars to be used in races."

Shortly after finding themselves a table outside the restaurant, Ben stands up and shakes hands with a man named Alessandro Rossi.

Ben: "Alessandro, how are you?"

Alessandro: "Buon Giorno, Ben! Ah, I have brought the car you want to use. The car is now ready."

Ben: "Where?"

Alessandro points at the car which is just parked nearby.

7608827838_7f75f669e8_c.jpg

Michiharu: "What is that car, Tomoko?"

Tomoko: "I have no idea."

Alessandro: "That is the car you'll use for the upcoming race. It's an Alfa Romeo Giulia TZ2 Carozzata de Zagato. It's a very light car and is perfect for the job."

7608827204_44ba7e1247_c.jpg

Ben: "I agree. Michiharu, you will be the one driving it."

Michiharu: "Me? Really? But..."

Ben: "Don't look down on yourself, chap. You should know very well the reason why we recruited you."

Alessandro: "Come, you must see the car's beauty!"

Alessandro and Michiharu approach at the car. The latter is astounded by its beauty.

7608828464_d18dd54312_c.jpg

Michiharu: "Kirei na...."

Alessandro: "All Alfa Romeos are a symbol of beauty! Plus, they are very well known for racing! Wait, you no speak English?"

Michiharu: "Eigo wo wakarimasen. Sumanai..."

Alessandro: "No problem! Just take the keys."

Alessandro hands over the keys and then Michiharu slowly reaches and takes the keys from Alessandro's hand.

End of page 7

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'll set this book in a brief hiatus. Since everyone is waiting for the 5th book, I'll just let it finish first before continuing this story.

Once again, I thank you for spending your time reading this.

Actually, even without this book, the sequel of The Missing Link can run on its own. It's just my option to tell Michiharu's past.

Don't worry though, I won't consider this as a dead fanfic.

Hello guys, I have decided to continue to this story. But once again, I WILL STOP writing new fanfics after this one.

Actually, I thought this story will go nowhere, but introducing characters from the other stories who are connected to Michiharu and Ben made me think that this can be finished.

And my love for classic cars is back. ;)

Page 8 - Alfa Romeo's Racing Pedigree

Ben goes to Michiharu, who is still contemplating as to driving the TZ2.

Ben: "Go for it. Besides, it will be fun to drive too."

Michiharu: "You think so, Ben-san?"

Ben: "Spare me the honorifics. I am not Japanese."

Michiharu: "I have to drive it if I intend to win the upcoming race."

Ben: "That's right. I'll come with you tomorrow; let's test her out."

So, as planned, the two test out the car at Toscana vineyards.

7850604876_2d4b4df57f_c.jpg

Michiharu: "It's fast..."

Ben: "It should be. This is a very light car, and Alessandro Rossi spent a lot of money restoring it."

Michiharu: "Alfa Romeo, huh? I've been hearing that name when I was a kid."

Ben: "Alfa Romeo race cars are feared in motorsports. Even Enzo Ferrari raced in one of those cars to victory."

Michiharu is surprised by the car's sharp steering.

7850604144_f917d2dfe3_c.jpg

Michiharu: "This is much sharper than the car I used to race!"

And it oversteers at the next corner due to that sharpness.

7850603534_294b3a9de5_c.jpg

Michiharu: "Whoa! I gotta get easy on this thing."

Ben: "All Alfa Romeos are built for racing in mind. Even those popular Spider models have some racing parts on it."

Michiharu: "I see. Well, I want to ask something, if you don't mind."

Ben: "What is it?"

7850602930_c034c64653_c.jpg

Michiharu: "When did you start racing?"

Ben: "I started racing via a racing school back home in Britain. I did not come out on top, but it was a meaningful experience for me. You know, I find your origins rather inspiring."

Ben: "You started from being... nothing. You don't even know most of the racing terms, but you race like you do. Your instincts are unmatched."

Michiharu: "Instinct? No..."

Ben: "Then what is it, then?"

Michiharu: "You'll find out soon... Even I don't know what makes me win."

Ben: "So, it's a guessing game, then? Oh well, we'll find it out soon, chap. Anyways, I have a race tomorrow in Rome. I want my Countach to do some stretching."

Michiharu: "Good luck, then."

At a rainy afternoon back in Japan, a young man knocks on the door of Koichi and Maiko's home. The latter lets him in.

Maiko: "Tatsumi?"

Tatsumi: "Where is my brother?"

Maiko: "He left for Europe. Why are you looking for him?"

Tatsumi: "I want him back..."

Maiko: "You very well know why he left you."

Then Koichi joins the conversation.

Koichi: "Yeah, and he plans never to come back."

Tatsumi: "Our parents are dying! They have gotten sick due to depression!"

Koichi: "It's because your family is rotten! That won't happen if your parents show that they love you. But no! They are endlessly quarreling among themselves. Don't you realize what's going on to your household? Your parents hate you and your big brother. You were even conceived because your father forced your mother to have an intercourse. And in drunken rage! They think that both of you are accidents! And yet you still care for them?"

Tatsumi: "Even though they get mad at me all the time, I shower them with my love and care. Because I am proud to have a family to grow up in!"

Koichi: "Proud? How can you be proud? They hate you!"

Tatsumi: "Someday they will! Now, our mother needs both me and Aniki on her side."

Koichi: "Forget about asking your big brother to return to you. He'll never return and he hates that house."

So Tatsumi leaves without a word. While walking and very wet with the rain, he clenches his fists in anger.

Tatsumi: "You'll soon realize that what you've done is wrong. You will regret this."

Back at the hotel in Italy, Ben is at the balcony of his room, smoking a cigarette.

Ben: "That Michiharu guy. He's impressive. He's the prime example of a self-made man. Will he be a legend? Only time will tell."

Then he hears someone knocking on the door. So gets back in and opens the door. He sees Tomoko carrying a basket of fruits.

Ben: "It's just you, and your fruits."

Tomoko: "I just bought them today from the market nearby! And they're fresh!"

Ben: "Looks tasty. I'll eat them for dessert tonight."

She puts the basket on the mini-bar and sits on the bed.

Tomoko: "So, how's the test?"

Ben: "He's getting the hang of it. And guess what, he claims that does not know what makes him win."

Tomoko: "Pretty sure he'll know. Besides, he's just new to this type of thing. He's currently experiencing a shock in his system. He has yet to adapt to this."

Ben: "But he races like a veteran already. He did not even receive a formal racing education like what he had. But as we have seen back from Tsukuba, he makes mincemeat of those pro racers out there."

Tomoko: "But... you know, he's cute."

Ben: "What? You're attracted to him?"

Tomoko: "He has charming looks, but he is rather reserved and looks like someone who keeps things to himself."

Ben: "He's a docile man, all right. But if you see him sit behind the wheel and drive, he's totally different."

Tomoko: "Hmmmm.... maybe I'll ask him for another drive. This time, with him showing off his driving skills!"

Ben: "Do whatever that suits you. But I think it would end up in a date."

End of Page 8

Page 9 -Periscopa and The Interceptor

The next day, Ben goes to Rome, along with Tomoko and Michiharu to participate in a city race. Ben is busy making preparations to his Countach LP400, while Tomoko and Michiharu look around the pit lane.

Michiharu: "Those cars... they're supercars, right?"

Tomoko: "That's right. Even Ben-san's Lamborghini is also one of them."

Michiharu: "Countach, huh?"

Tomoko: "Yes. It's the very rare LP400 that he bought back home from a businessman. Consider himself lucky that he got one, especially that only 158 were made."

Michiharu: "Yeah. And I think I saw that once in the Shutou Expressway."

Tomoko: "Oh, Ben-san goes there every night to race with his LP400."

Michiharu: "It's such a nice-looking car, isn't it?"

Tomoko: "It's not nice-looking! It's sexy!"

While working, Ben's younger brother named Sander comes in.

Sander: "How are you, big brother?"

Ben stands up and puts down his wrench.

Ben: "Oh it's my petty little brother, Sander."

Sander: "Such a potent machine you got there. Mine has more grunt, though."

Ben: "Really? Then what is your car?"

Sander: "It's a Jensen Interceptor Mk. III! It has a V8 engine!"

Ben: "From a Yank tank? Not surprising."

Sander: "It's quintessentially British!"

Ben: "Plus a Yank tank engine. I hope you can handle her."

Sander: "Well, I hope you can handle that Lambo too."

Ben: "Best of luck then."

He pats Sander's shoulder and continues to work. Sander goes back to his car as well.

Sander: "Why is my little brother like that? He's always harsh."

Now, the cars are now out at the track, with the rolling start.

7853884334_1d453a0196_c.jpg

Sander: "I'll win this time!"

7853883970_48de968438_c.jpg

Michiharu: "Ben sure is calm about this."

Tomoko: "Sander McCarthy, his little brother, claims that Ben-san is his rival. But Ben-san just doesn't care at all. He's harsh, but..."

Michiharu: "But?"

Tomoko: "...deep inside, he's a gentle person. He's involved with a lot of charitable work ever since he started his racing career."

Now, all the cars are at full throttle. Ben immediately attacks a C3 Corvette.

7853883596_2b6a407977_c.jpg

Ben: "Get out of my way, you stupid Yank tank. You don't even know what a corner is, chap!"

Sander is agitated when he sees Ben's LP400 overtaking him.

7853883190_ee839c55cc_c.jpg

Sander: "No way! But it's not yet over!"

Ben's LP400 now attempts to overtake the other 2 Lamborghinis.

7853882800_e5af642d71_c.jpg

Ben: "The Countach answers the dynamic issues that the Miura had. This car handles better! And it doesn't fly!"

At the straight, Ben drafts his car behind another LP400. The red LP400 blocks Ben's passing attempt, but Ben's LP400 has enough speed gathered from the slipstream and manages to slip through.

7853882454_612dbc2244_c.jpg

Ben: "What are the chances of seeing another LP400? But I'm afraid I'm better than you, chap."

Meanwhile, at the middle of the pack, Sander tries his best to keep up.

7853882100_e344c7b221_c.jpg

Sander: "I won't lose to you, Ben! This time, I'll get all the attention!"

But there are 2 cars waiting to overtake him; a C3 Corvette and Ferrari Berlinetta Boxer.

7853881690_65b36642f4_c.jpg

The Interceptor may have a more powerful engine than the LP400, but its luxurious interior coupled with only a 3-speed automatic makes it a slouch on the straights.

7853881206_16e3959995_c.jpg

Sander: "I can't see him! What a shame!"

7853880834_eb2af93d96_c.jpg

Ben: "Sander, I think you're better off helping our mother with her groceries with your car. Besides, you want to please her, right?"

He slams the brake pedal at just the right spot.

7853880440_196c05efd2_c.jpg

Ben: "This car's lightness allows me to do my forte."

7853880110_4de8f3e7e3_c.jpg

Ben: "And it can go more than 300 km/h!"

7853879768_81b19c0f63_c.jpg

Ben: "Where are you now, my little brother?"

Ben takes the victory. After receiving a gold trophy and medal along with a cash prize, he goes back to the pit lane. Tomoko hugs him.

Tomoko: "Congrats, Ben-san! I know you could do it!"

Ben: "Well, even you can beat them all with your lovely Stratos."

Michiharu: "Congratulations, Ben."

Ben: "Thank you, Mr. Confused Person."

Suddenly, he sees a Japanese mother approaching him.

Ben: "Shigoto-san?"

Ms. Shigoto: "Ben-san, please come with me. My son needs you."

Ben: "What happened?"

So they go to the hospital. They see a young boy, now in the ICU.

Tomoko: "Who is that young boy?"

Ben: "His name is Takuma Shigoto. I sent him and his mother here to receive treatment."

Ms. Shigoto: "Takuma wants to see you..."

Ben, upon entering the room alone, Ms. Shigoto cries outside. Tomoko looks at her with concern.

Tomoko: "What is that boy's disease?"

Ms. Shigoto: "He received a mysterious disease when we were in Japan. Ben-san brought us here in hopes to find a cure."

Tomoko: "How did you meet him?"

Ms. Shigoto: "He visited us where we live, in Sendai. He went there for his volunteer charity work."

Tomoko: "I see."

Inside the room, Ben holds the dying, 10-year old boy's hand. The boy opens his eyes.

Takuma: "Otoosan?"

Ben: "It's me, your playmate. How are you?"

Takuma: "Can we play again?"

Ben puts up a smile.

Ben: "Sure! Once the doctors have found the cure, then we will go back to Japan and play ball again."

The boy's hand even struggles to hold Ben's hand.

Ben: "I know you are in deep pain right now, but you should not give up. You have so much to live for."

The boy smiles, but then...

...the monitor shows a flat line. Takuma has now passed away. Seeing this, the mother rushes inside the room and weeps on her son's lifeless body.

Ben: "I'm sorry, Ms. Shigoto. And that boy taught me a very important lesson."

Ben goes outside and walks away. Tomoko and Michiharu follow him. Little do they realize that Ben is actually in tears.

Tomoko: "I'm sorry..."

Ben wipes his tears.

Ben: "That boy... made me realize that life is short. And being with him makes my heart melt. We used to play catch or tag whenever I visit his home. That boy always smiles despite the disease he's struggling with. He's also determined to join racing in hopes that he could make his and his mother's life better. I even cook dinner for them. He's my inspiration as to why I race with my best... and he's like a son to me."

Tomoko: "I see."

Michiharu then looks up and thinks deeply.

End of Page 9

I don't get it ...

I like your stories and I'm sure a lot more members like aswell.

This story is the prequel of "Reaching The Apex". Therefore, this is just a tale of Michiharu's racing days.

You can still understand and enjoy the adventures of the Kanonji twins even without reading this particular story.

Back