The Cars That Grew On You.

• Thread starter Kryz11
  • 23 comments

Kryz11

We are all one mind.
Premium
NoxNoctisUmbra
Hello everyone

So growing up in the 90s and early 2000's I thought a lot of American 80s cars were very ugly looking, after a while I started to appreciate some of them.

For example the 1980s Lincoln Town Car, super ugly then, now I think its a nice classic

13378976655963_f.jpg

Another Example was the Mercedes W210 From Late 1990s
First I thought that was the ugliest Mercedes to appear on public roads with its "four eye" design
Now I think its a beautiful car.
4905050681_9729286a5d_z.jpg

This is not a Guilty Pleasure thread, this thread is for cars that you thought are very repealing, but over time you started to love and appreciate them. Weather you owned one or sow them on the street that over time you started to appreciate them.

So, what car grew on you?

Nissan GT-R R32
Nissan Skyline GT-R R32.jpg

For the first time I saw it in a magazine, I thought it was an awful car, because it was worse than R33 every way possible and it was 4WD Group A car that was never used in rally. Now I understand its significance in touring cars and other racing.

new-pagani-huayra-1079.jpg

I didn't like the Pagani Huayra when it first came out. I thought it looked too much like the old Zonda without a rear wing and that the interior looked too cluttered. The first videos of it in motion when it came out still left me skeptical as it didn't howl like the Zonda's V12 engine and it farted during gear changes.

However, the more I saw of it, the more I began to like how it looked, and when I saw a TV program of how the Huayra was made. I realised just how much passion and attention to detail goes into building such a masterpiece of engineering.

The Lamborghini Gallardo. Used to think it was ugly, and that the Murcielago was better, and now it's my favorite modern car.

The Porsche Panamera, I thought it was one of the ugliest cars ever made, now I think it's a handsome looking car. Another one would be the BMW X6 (please don't hate me) I also thought that it was very ugly and pointless, now I think it's ok but, I would never buy one if I had the money and I still think it's pointless.

I would say the new SL merc. I saw an SL320 and hated the look of it, I thought it was disgusting compared to the R230 SL, but over the last few months It's kinda grew on me and I'm sort of liking the look. Still prefer an R230.
Another would be the Panamera as mentioned above. I first saw it in Hot Pursuit 2010 and thought it was a smaller, uglier version of the Cheyenne, but I think its just a big 911 (Which I always loved the look of)

Being a huge Mustang fan I used to think this car was an absolute disgrace to the name and I thought it was ugly and the biggest pile of junk ever made.

Then I got in one. Most fun I've ever had in a car. And they are getting to the point where they are starting to look "classic".

NWM_MustangII_2222.jpg

Used to never like 8th generation F-Series pickups either...always thought they were an ugly follow up to the 1980-1986's. But they grew on me over the years.

photo-1_zpsf14ce8d3.jpg

2012-lexus-lfa_100366113_l.jpg

The Lexus LFA, I'm serious.

The car initially did nothing for me, but then I started digging deeper into it as a whole, the amazing sound, and everything about it started intriguing me far too much. It's now my favorite car ever.

Being a huge Mustang fan I used to think this car was an absolute disgrace to the name and I thought it was ugly and the biggest pile of junk ever made.

Then I got in one. Most fun I've ever had in a car. And they are getting to the point where they are starting to look "classic".
View attachment 231145
They still look ugly stock in my opinion, but when lowered a little and given a nice set of wheels, it looks pretty good.

The car initially did nothing for me, but then I started digging deeper into it as a whole, the amazing sound, and everything about it started intriguing me far too much. It's now my favorite car ever.
I don't think anyone expected that :lol:.

I was the same, I thought it was just an overpriced V10 GT-R, but then I drove one on GT6, watched a few videos about its production and how it was made from aluminium but Toyota decided to use Carbon Fibre instead, I love it, if I had $400,000 I would buy one in a heartbeat, currently my favourite car in the world

They still look ugly stock in my opinion, but when lowered a little and given a nice set of wheels, it looks pretty good.

I don't think anyone expected that :lol:.
The fastback ones look a lot better than the coupes IMO, even stock. The coupes are hideous.

Agreed. I remember thinking when it was launched that it wasn't powerful enough or light enough, and that I wished it had a manual gearbox.

But this car is about so much more than just numbers. For example, the exhaust sound alone makes it one of the most desirable cars ever made in my opinion

All Porsches; When I was little, I hated Porsche because they always won the comparison tests in all the magazines I read. But today the 911 is my favorite car, and Porsche is my favorite car company (although a couple get very close).

The 2013 SRT Viper

image.jpg

Initially, I thought this car was terrible, but over time (And seeing a blue one with white stripes featured in some car magazine), I really began to like this car. I will say that the initial shots (Like the one above) were horrible, which is probably one of the reasons why I didn't like it that much.

BMW 3,5 series

image.jpg

I never understood why my dad was so obsessed with the 5 series and 3 series BMW's when I was little. I just thought they were just so simple and boring. Fast forward to me being 17 and I saw a clean red e30 and just couldn't stop drooling. Researched the BMW's and then I began to start liking them. I really like an lowered m5, they look really aggressive.

Ah there's quite a few, I'll almost certainly be missing some...

One would be the Fisker Karma. I always saw pictures of it in magazines and the Internet and thought it looked absolutely hideous. Then I saw one in person, and can now say it's a beautiful car.

Another would be the fourth generation Camaro. I always thought it was pretty damn dull and uninteresting looking, then I drove a Z28. No, it's not the prettiest car ever, but now I don't think they look bad, especially the SS. Plus they're fun as hell to drive, I kind of want an SS now.

Related to the Camaro, the Pontiac Firebird WS6. For whatever reason lately I started to like the look of them. I'd love to own one.

IMAG1290.jpg The 6th generation corvette. When it first came out I hated it but over the years its grown on me a lot, especially this one.

Last edited:
Mazda Miata MX5 ( NA &NB)

351091.jpg

I never like it when I was younger, it was a girly car to me. Now it's one of the very few convertibles that I like.

35833102_SS08.jpg

It is well known that, despite being a VW fan, I'm not much of one for Audi. That being said, they surprise me from time-to-time, choosing to not just be the cash grab they occasionally seem to be. Case-in-point, the A7. Good lord, I hated this car so much when it was first announced, when I first saw it at auto shows, and when I first sat in the back seats. "Why the hell would anyone be crazy enough to pay more for an A6 with less usability in the back?" But, then I kept seeing them. And I kept hearing about how well they drive. Then they added the diesel. Then I start seeing more of those. Then it came in brown...

Allright, allright, allright. I give up.

I actually like the A7. God, the car looks goooood. The fact that it drives well is still a little mind-blowing to me, and well, I guess I could tolerate those rear seats... Even if they are a little dumb. Sure, it no longer gets the "Wow, I really don't like that car" thing that the A3, A4, Q5 and Q7 get... But man, I didn't see that one coming.

2011-volkswagen-jetta.jpg

Staying on the VAG kick for a moment, the MKVI-based Jetta gets a mention as well.

Oh how I've loathed this car since it launched. Sure, VW made it more affordable than ever (well, for the first time since the MKIII, anyway), but it came at a price - crap materials, crap suspension, and crap engines all mated to crap transmissions. Hell, they brought back the 2.0L I4 from 2005, an engine that's been around since the early '90s... What? More or less, the early units were crap.

Then, someone got the memo at VW that we don't like getting screwed over, and they decided to add the right suspension back in, revamp the interior a bit, and add a few better engine options. Okay, yes, we're still not getting DSG on everything... But hey, it isn't like every dual-clutch unit out there is all that cheap, either. Granted, their packaging still sucks on the car, but I can imagine it being a somewhat reasonable purchase now with the updates. That, and you can get it in brown.

And, with the MKVII Golf being so good, shouldn't the next Jetta be pretty good, too?

R33 Skylines.

Absolutely disgusted me for years, my least favourite Skyline and in some ways my least favourite car full stop.

Bland conservative styling, zero touring car success, mediocre performance compared to the 32 and the 34 and all around nothing more than the fat middle sister that failed at everything it set out to do.

Now? I absolutely adore them and by far they're my favourite of the Skyline family

10662086_951913798157733_8974400746893771108_o.jpg

She's still a fatty whale though :lol:

Pretty much any road-going Ferrari bar the 458 in the last decade. For some reason, they never really look that good in Ferrari's press photos. They were a dramatic change in styling compared to what came before them. However, one has to see them in the flesh to finally appreciate the details. Even the FF holds a strong presence in person that it can't convey in pictures; the thoughts of a M Coupe disappear.

I remember when the E90 came out back in 2005, after seeing the first few pictures:

I thought it looked pretty bad, especially compared to the (still good looking) E46. After a while it grew on me and it's different styling made it look fresh for many years. However, I still think the base E46 looks better than the base E90. E90 M3 on the other hand I prefer. Same goes for Post LCI E92s.

I ABSOLUTELY HATED these V16 sentras
IMG505932.JPG

Probably because when I used to live in Chile I saw one roll over and they were mosty used as taxi cabs. My parents got one when we moved here and I remember being really dissapointed that they had bought that car. Still, at least we had something. Now, I still don't like them that much but at least I don't hate them with a passion like I used to :lol:
Pretty much any road-going Ferrari bar the 458 in the last decade. For some reason, they never really look that good in Ferrari's press photos. They were a dramatic change in styling compared to what came before them. However, one has to see them in the flesh to finally appreciate the details. Even the FF holds a strong presence in person that it can't convey in pictures; the thoughts of a M Coupe disappear.
:lol: I'm actually the opposite, almost all Ferraris I drool over when they come out but when the 458 came out after all the rounded and soft lines of the 430 I hated it. After a while it grew on me and when the other models came out with the similar design language I got used to it. It's a good thing they didn't go conservative in the 458 because you see (relatively) a lot of them around and they really have a lot of presence, especially the drop tops.

Back