NASCAR Thread.

• Thread starter WallRunner
  • 4,200 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
@MrMulsanne

Still no idea... Its looking like "Premier Sports" AKA Setanta will be getting the deal... but they havent announced anything formal yet... so I dont know.

I remember on SpeedFreaks when it was asked if shorter races or fewer races would make NASCAR better. I don't usually watch NASCAR as I used to. I just don't usually watch complete NASCAR races. It isn't that I'm not really a NASCAR person, I just don't really see many full races. You certainly want to keep the major races (like Daytona, Indy, Coca Cola 600, etc.) at their length.

I hope this happens.

Jayski.com
NASCAR looking to change qualifying rainout procedure: The days of the starting order being set by rank in points when qualifying is rained out might be coming to an end. Multiple sources said after Monday meetings with NASCAR that plans are in place to set the qualifying order based on practice speeds, and the starting order based on practice speeds if qualifying is rained out. The qualifying order currently is set by a draw, with the team whose owner has the most owner points picking first. Under the proposed plan, which is expected to be announced Wednesday by chairman Brian France, the only way the starting order will be based on points is if both practice and qualifying are rained out. The sources said NASCAR remains consistent with its plan to change the points structure to a 43-1 format, giving 43 points for first, 42 for second and one point less for each spot through last.(ESPN.com)(1-25-2011)

Seems like 2011 will be an interesting year.

I'm all for a lower points structure since I never liked the high numbers anyways. But they could have spread it out a little more than that...

Agreed, or at least give more points to positions one, two and three, and even less, or no points after a certain finishing position, like 35? I don't feel like doing the math on how to separate it, but like what has been said before, there is not enough difference in points for the front runners.

Anybody see the new nose they are using this year on the trucks? Might as well be a car with a fake bed...

Any pictures of it? I certainly haven't heard or seen anything about it so thats new to me.

Multiple sources said after Monday meetings with NASCAR that plans are in place to set the qualifying order based on practice speeds

Why would they do this? At some tracks where the track conditions get worse as the day passes and more cars qualify, this is probably going to cause some teams to coast around the track in practice, perhaps working on their race setup. Maybe teams will see the benefit of a better spot in the qualifying order as being less important than making sure that their qualifying setup is good, but I wouldn't want to bet on that.

I like some of the changes, but not others. The two wild card Chase spots are a good move IMO, although it seems like there will be a tie in victories quite often for second and third among non-top-10 drivers, and they haven't clarified how they're going to deal with that (I would assume the usual sequence of second-, third-, etc. place finishes). I'll join the majority in saying that I don't really like the lack of separation among the top non-winners, and I think that making the varying spreads in the old system more pronounced would have been the better way to do it. I doubt that they are going to gain much by having the system be more "intuitive" or "comprehensible," either.

Any pictures of it? I certainly haven't heard or seen anything about it so thats new to me.

Sorry, took me a while to find it again.

164324_500530248800_53219688800_5981081_3162632_n.jpg

So does anyone know what the UK TV deal for the 2011 Sprint Cup is? And also, what time is the Daytona 500 in GMT (time here in britain?) Possibly about 5pm?

Last summer, my freeview box picked up two new channels named BT1 and BT2... They were subscription channels and I didn't subscribe, but the tv listings looked pretty good. A lot of stateside sport. Live nascar and indycar too... If i remember right, even qualifying... If i wasn't heading for canada soon, I'd subscribe to those channels.

Some say it's dumb, but I like how they changed the points. It might make the lamest driver, whoever he is, or JR or any other win the championship. I know someone's going to post, "F THE CHANGE", but it might get someone's first championship or someone's 2nd, or even Gordon's 5th. Can't wait for the season to start. ITS GOING TO BE MIND BLOWING!!!:ouch:

Last edited by a moderator:
This could have easily went in the Nascar thread, and doesn't deserve it's own thread... The new points system has already been discussed in the nascar thread.

Btw, you're in the motorsport forum, not the Nascar forum... You should probably state nascar somewhere in your post for those not in the know.

The uninitiated may just see someone rambling about points, but not know what series you are talking about.

I agree that they look crappy, at first I thought they were trying to imitate the Aussie V8 Ute series.

I'm still a bit on the fence with the new point system. And if I may, here's a little rant- if you don't know EXACTLY how the system works, DON'T DISCUSS IT! This was a rant from when ESPN's "Pardon the Interruption" played "Good Cop Bad Cop" on the new points system. Michael Wilbon knows NASCAR marginally better than Tony Kornheiser. It's good efforts are made to better understand NASCAR, but don't make a big deal about NASCAR unless you really know what the hell you're talking about.

I do, however, like the idea of this giving two drivers with the most wins that are not in the Top 10 as being part of the Chase format. The one thing I wonder is if there was a three-way tie (like if three drivers won 4 races in the season). Would it come down to which two have the most points? As an NCAA basketball analogy, having the final two entrants of the Chase (who have won the most races and not part of the original Top 10) is more like two at-large teams make the postseason. You can also think of this as a Wild Card situation.

I think we'll just have to see how this season plays out before we can really judge if this new system will work.

If you do want a full explanation of the changes...

http://www.nascar.com/news/110127/nascar-changes-points-clarification-explained/index.html

I've come around to the idea a little, and it'll be fairly easy to work out what a driver needs to do in order to climb a certain amount of points in the table (need five points to get into the Chase? Pass five more cars than the guy in front of you, since it's a point per position). Dead easy to work out.

The biggest problem is that you only get an extra three bonus points for winning. It's not a disaster, but it's not really a reward. If you were in second would you risk wrecking just to get four more points? You'd be better off waiting for the guy in front to have a bad race later on down the line and picking up points when other people are making mistakes.

It still seems to be rewarding the cautious rather than the guys who want to win.

Of course, if you win all the time and never have a bad result you'll still pick up all the bonus points but motorsport is unpredictable...

Why not just say 46 for winning instead of 43 + 3 bonus points?

Actually they would get 47 since there is also a bonus point for leading a lap and another if they lead the most so they could possibly get 48.

I really like the changes to the chase, granted I would prefer it to just go away but it's a good compromise.

Just got through watching the Showdown and man, I'm really impressed with Travis, even more so then I was with Danica's debut. He managed to dodge damn near everything the race threw at him and was racing 3 wide for 6th in the final 2 laps and finished there just barely. All the respect I already had for him just tripled after tonight 👍

Why not just say 46 for winning instead of 43 + 3 bonus points?

Actually they would get 47 since there is also a bonus point for leading a lap and another if they lead the most so they could possibly get 48.

I really like the changes to the chase, granted I would prefer it to just go away but it's a good compromise.

48 points for the win... so technically Jimmie could still win everytime :dopey:

Still, I have reservations over how this will affect the Chase, if at all. Also, anyone know is Sky Sports are running highlights again his year?

Should always be streaming on JustinTV.

Though I don't know if you can record off of there, usually someone will stream a rerun at some point after the actual race.

48 points for the win... so technically Jimmie could still win everytime :dopey:

Still, I have reservations over how this will affect the Chase, if at all. Also, anyone know is Sky Sports are running highlights again his year?

I believe they are running there one hour replays again.

LSX
Should always be streaming on JustinTV.

Though I don't know if you can record off of there, usually someone will stream a rerun at some point after the actual race.

I'm not sure you can record off JTV, but there are plenty of streams on there every week showing the race live.

Hi! I would like to say that reading these threads make me very much excited for the NASCAR season, especially that NASCAR was featured on the Bachelor on it's last episode. Other that that, I also saw interest in that go kart scene, which I think it was at K1 Speed. It was really interesting, though they say that there are a lot of controversies surrounding the whole thing. I hope that all will be well in the coming season!

Just got through watching the Showdown and man, I'm really impressed with Travis, even more so then I was with Danica's debut. He managed to dodge damn near everything the race threw at him and was racing 3 wide for 6th in the final 2 laps and finished there just barely. All the respect I already had for him just tripled after tonight 👍

Has anyone made a montage on how many times his name was mentioned during the broadcast? FAR worse than any race involving Danica. One would think he's the second coming of Christ (sarcasm).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back