The cheapest? el capitan 200 ever.

Hi,

firstly i would like to introduce myself, im Oscar, I go kart and sim race but ive always had my heart in gran turismo, albeit 1,2,3 and 4, because i cant afford a ps3 and GT5 prolouge. Anyway, i found this forum, browsed a bit and sort of assumed that this endurance race was a personal favorite of some people, so, i thought, why not, but, as ive just used up most of my money on day 700 (i think) when the black LMP cars turn up at the used dealership. So, i looked in my garage, which consisted of cars i have won from manufacturer races and several other cars i didnt want to use. I sort of fell out with myself, I could not decide on what to run to save my life. So, i sort of did a "top gear thing" and set aside 55,000 Cr. to get a suitable car, which, I chose to be the '99 aston martin V8 vantage with hard sports tyres, sports brakes and sports suspension pack.... oh and an oil change as well as some less ugly rims. I think that all totaled up to near enough 50,000 Cr. So, maybe not so cheap :P . Anyway, maybe i should get on with racing.

Well, looking at the line-up... it looks bleak, although there are a few UScars, the corvette ZR-1 , corvette ZO6 and and Viper SRT10, there is a Lotus esprit 350, not the end of the world for my vantage. Ahh... :nervous: who put the Zonda there, this could spell trouble... and of course 104 a-spec points :dopey:

So, considering the competition, i decide that i need to put me in first and create a buffer asap, so this meant putting medium tyres all round for the first stint, which I plan to be 11 laps.

Lap 1: Bad start, still too much wheel spin. Catch back up to the corvette into T2 and then get around the corvette and the other one through the tricky T 4-5 combo into the tunnel. Going into the hairpin at the bottom of the hill I muscle past both the Viper and the esprit. By the end of Lap 1 I am bump drafting the zonda down the main straight in hope of out breaking it into T2.

Lap2-7: Get past the Zonda at T2 of lap 2. From there up to lap 7 i gain just over 1 second a lap, without giving a second thought to the tyres.

Lap8-10: I very quickly loose all front end grip and have masses of understeer, by Lap 10 the Zonda has cut underneath me and powered off.

Lap11: I brave it out for one more lap only to loose a place to the esprit and fall to 9 seconds behind the Zonda, I pit in, out on hard tyres all round and no fuel, (still have half a tank) also, its time for a pee break.

2nd Stint:

Lap12-18: I am 38 seconds behind the Zonda... :nervous: and the esprit is within a few seconds of that. I drive my heart out. Which when i went round the esprit after it pitted on 17 and the Zonda on 20.

Lap21-23: Now heres the thing, by racing alot, i have killed the tyres, actually, the front right is turning red and both rears are heading for orange, i drop off the pace and loose out to the zonda and the esprit in the pits on lap23... i have half a tank of fuel and hard tyres, all that said I am only 29 seconds behind this time, so less action needs to be taken.

Stint 3:

Lap23-35: This time I am 1min off of the zonda and 45seconds (ish) off of the esprit. I dont gain any time but do get past the esprit when it pits, only to pit myself a couple of laps later.

Lap35-45: I hammer it, the vantage twitches and slides for ten laps but gets the esprit before it pits, not that this is really of help as the Aston has such poor ability to stay on track, i was pitting more than it anyway. i get back to 29 seconds behind the Zonda before pitting again with smoking hot tyres.

Lap45-55: The lack of endurance ability really shows for the aston, I again go hell for leather and get right up on the rear of the esprit praying that it will pit, it doesnt and on lap 55 i pit in to enevitably loose the battle and the race.

Lap55-65: I still go right at it, I mean, what the heck, as much as the budget aston was not made for this race or this kind of racing, it is a great and fun car to drive, possibly my favorite in the game, well, when I dont have to look at it.

Lap66: i hammer it round sliding all over on spent tyres. I cross the Line in 3rd, for 50,000Cr. behind a car worth twice that and one worth 10 times as much, Im a happy bunny, that and a new 85,000Cr. budget for my next venture which i imagine will be the 200miles of laguna seca.

Final standings:

1st - Pigani Zonda C12

2nd - Lotus Esprit Sport 350 - +44

3rd - Aston Martin V8 Vantage - +2:03

4th - Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - 1 Lap

5th - Dodge Viper SRT10 - 1 Lap

6th - Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 - 2 Laps

This race was very fun, and very long, the winners total time was 2:12:23:990 --- mine was 2:14:27:137 and my best lap was a 1:55:670
Hope you enjoy the read.

Thanks.

Oscar.

Last edited:
So, i sort of did a "top gear thing" and set aside 55,000 Cr. to get a suitable car, which, I chose to be the '99 aston martin V8 vantage with hard sports tyres, sports brakes and sports suspension pack.... oh and an oil change as well as some less ugly rims. I think that all totaled up to near enough 50,000 Cr.

Curious. :confused:
The cheapest Aston Martin V8 Vantage '99 available in the used car lots at any time in the game goes for 224,000Cr, more than 4 times your initial budget. :sly:
With the added tyres, brakes, suspension & rims you're looking at a figure of close to quarter of a million Cr. :eek: That's not even remotely cheap.

My first run of El Capitan 200 miles, I used a Toyota Supra RZ '97 that I picked up in the Used Car Lots with 23,458.9 miles on it for 28,534Cr.
It got a 50Cr oil change and ran on the stock Sports Medium tyres that it came with, winning the race for 200 A-spec points for a total of 28,584Cr spent.
Since then, numerous racers have taken 200 A-spec point victories in many different stock cars, both new and used which're far, far cheaper than the Aston Martin. (You can find details in post #1 of this thread)
Several stock prizecars, such as the Lotus Esprit Turbo HC '87, DMC DeLorean S2 '04, Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z Concept '88 & Pontiac Solstice Coupe Concept '02 have been used to win this race too (for maximum A-spec points), which technically means that it's been won for 0Cr spent (if no oil change or tyre changing went on!)
Now that's cheap! :)

With the Pagani Zonda & Lotus Esprit in your lineup you certainly picked a difficult race, as they're 2 of the fastest AI cars you can encounter. (The Lotus Motorsport Elise and Shelby Series 1 Supercharged are 2 more to avoid if possible, by entering / exiting the race and getting a different random lineup.)

Hopefully you'll have a cheaper shot at this race again in a stock car (unmodifed except oil change and SH or SM tyres) and we'll be able to add you to the ranks of Club 200 in the Stock car thread! 👍

Curious. :confused:
The cheapest Aston Martin V8 Vantage '99 available in the used car lots at any time in the game goes for 224,000Cr, more than 4 times your initial budget. :sly:
With the added tyres, brakes, suspension & rims you're looking at a figure of close to quarter of a million Cr. :eek: That's not even remotely cheap.

I know. I picked up on this too....where the hell did he find an Aston for less than $55k? lol

Anyways, good write-up, oscarhardwick. Welcome to GTplanet. 👍

Well I'm lucky, when I did it I got a Motorsport Elise, a TVR 350C, a Cebera Speed 6, a Merc SL65 (I lapped it 4 times in my Amuse S2000 GT1) and a Shelby Series 1. I needed to pit every 11 laps, but I missed my pit stop 3 times because of the tiny pit lane. I won the awesome Toyota 88C-V.

Back