The Da Vinci Code

  • Thread starter Thread starter TB
  • 22 comments
  • 1,131 views

TB

Space Lord
Moderator
Messages
36,477
United States
Downtown North Dakota
Messages
Cy-Fi
I loved reading the book and now it is coming to a theater near you. The Da Vinci Code has started casting and I can't say I'm impressed with Tom Hanks playing Robert Langdon. I know he is a versatile actor and will be able to pull of the role, but I (1) Don't think they need a big name to sell this movie and (2) Don't want to see another Tom Hanks movie for a while. On the plus side, he is a better choice than the other two front runners - Russell Crowe and Hugh Jackman. As I was reading this, my though for if they ever made this into a movie was Liam Neeson.

Last I heard, they are thinking about Monica Bellucci, Persephone from The Matrix Reloaded, to play Sophie Neveu and *surprise, surprise* Jean Reno for Bezu Fache. I know this movie will more than likely be good and I will quite possibly purchase it, but for now, Mr. Hanks just isn't sitting right with me.
 
I love Tom Hanks, but my only beef with him is he's like Hollywood's Golden Boy. He NEVER plays anything but a good guy hero. I want to see Tom Hanks play a villain in a comic book movie.
 
Anderton Prime
I love Tom Hanks, but my only beef with him is he's like Hollywood's Golden Boy. He NEVER plays anything but a good guy hero. I want to see Tom Hanks play a villain in a comic book movie.

What about 'The Ladykillers'?
 
Anderton Prime
I love Tom Hanks, but my only beef with him is he's like Hollywood's Golden Boy. He NEVER plays anything but a good guy hero. I want to see Tom Hanks play a villain in a comic book movie.
I agree with the "Golden Boy" comment, but he wasn't exactly a great guy in 'Road to Perdition' either. And I can't help you with the comic book movie role. :)
 
I know he hasn't played a villain in a comic book movie, I said I'd LIKE to see him play something like that. And as for Road To Perdition and Ladykillers, he wasn't really a bad guy in either of those movies. In Road, you sympathized with him. In Ladykillers, you laughed at him. I'm talking Alan Rickman-in-Die Hard bad, or Gene Hackman-in-The Quick And The Dead-or -Crimson Tide-or-Unforgiven bad.
 
Anderton Prime
I know he hasn't played a villain in a comic book movie, I said I'd LIKE to see him play something like that. And as for Road To Perdition and Ladykillers, he wasn't really a bad guy in either of those movies. In Road, you sympathized with him. In Ladykillers, you laughed at him. I'm talking Alan Rickman-in-Die Hard bad, or Gene Hackman-in-The Quick And The Dead-or -Crimson Tide-or-Unforgiven bad.
I guess I forgot [sarcasm]And I can't help you with the comic book movie role.[/sarcasm] I shall remember in the future. I know he hasn't done any films like that. I'm not sure if I want to see him in a hardcore bad-guy role. But that is for a different thread.
 
I was waiting for when they would "movie-fy" this. (Okay, I know it's not a word, don't hurt me.) But Tom Hanks????? Please no. Liam Neeson would be a MUCH better choice as you said TB.

Goodness gracious, I would have never ever thought about Tom Hanks for Robert Langdon. Especially after reading both The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons. I can only picture it now.

I'd still watch it, though. But I wouldn't be able to stop myself from thinking, "Why Tom Hanks? Did he even audition?"
 
The National Geographic channel will have a feature about the Da Vinci Code on later tonight.
 
I thought the book was incredibly over-hyped and overrated, so I'm sure that I'll dislike the movie even more.
 
Solid Lifters
The National Geographic channel will have a feature about the Da Vinci Code on later tonight.

I remember seeing that before I even read the book. I watched it again a little bit, though. How come that host seemed like she didn't believe anyone, on both sides of the argument?
 
I agree that tom hanks is not right and liam neeson is. Jean reno is fine for the cheif, though I imagined the chief as old and fat. I will still see it though.
 
I just saw this on msn.com:
msn.com
Brits Ian McKellen and Alfred Molina are joining Tom Hanks in Ron Howard's big-screen adaptation of "The Da Vinci Code," according to Variety. Molina, last seen as Dr. Octopus in "Spider-Man 2," will play zealous Bishop Arigarosa, who's keeping a close eye on the investigations of Robert Langdon (Hanks, as you all know). McKellen will play Sir Teabing, a wealthy man who is a resource for Langdon, even as he shows his own ambitions to uncover the Holy Grail. Production will begin in June for a May 19, 2006 release (pushed back from a previous release date of March 2006).
 
I just read this book last week and loved it.I am fairly happy with Tom Hanks playing Langdon, i think he'll do a decent job.I want to know who will be playing Silas, it might be hard to do the whole Albino/Opus Dei Member/Murderer role. I personally didnt like The Dav Vinci Code as much as Angels And Demons, Dan Browns previous novel also starring Robert Langdon, I was hoping they would also make that into a movie.
 
I liked Da Vinci more than A&D and both were better than his first two. I doesn't help that I practically read them in the reverse order that he wrote them. I doubt that A&D will ever see the big screen. It just didn't make as much of an impact (ie - it didn't piss people off as much). I am still awaiting his next book, though.

On a moderate side note, has anyone else checked out some of the stuff on his website? This page, in particular the challenges, is rather interesting.
 
meh...just another hype fad that eventually will pass on for yet another hype fad
 
May 19, 2006 release date. Click "Watch Now" for trailer.
 
I'm immune to hype, I read the book a month or two ago and enjoyed it, and Liam Neeson would dunk over Hanks as Robert Langdon.
 
TB
Last I heard, they are thinking about Monica Bellucci, Persephone from The Matrix Reloaded, to play Sophie Neveu and

I believe Audrey Tautou will be playing Sophie Neveu.
Monica Bellucci, gorgeous as she is, is too old - and too Italian ;)
 
Duke
I'm immune to hype, I read the book a month or two ago and enjoyed it, and Liam Neeson would dunk over Hanks as Robert Langdon.
An Amin agrees with me on something? Cool. :)👍
TheCracker
I believe Audrey Tautou will be playing Sophie Neveu.
Monica Bellucci, gorgeous as she is, is too old - and too Italian ;)
Yes she is. When I posted that info, it was correct at the time.

And the real question, since Ron Howard is directing this, is will Clint play the albino? :scared: :lol:
 
Ron Howard himself could play the albino - have you seen him lately?
:eek:
 
Angels and Demons is a way better book the The Da Vinci Code. (Same Author.)
 
Is that the one based on the Illuminati?

Does anyone know who will play Teabing? I think somebody like Richard.E.Grant would be good for that role.
 
Back