The Dark TowerMovies 

• Thread starter JKgo
  • 11 comments
South Africa
South Africa
...The first full length trailer for The Dark Tower landed in my "Recommended" box.

Not quite what I envisioned, I have to confess, and also slightly worrying that we're only three months away from the general theatrical release, yet the official trailer only lands now.

But Idris Elba looks great. Not sure about all that bullet-loading moments, though.

Thoughts?

Theatrical Poster:

images.jpg

I also heard that it was closely on the Stephen King novel too.

Which from what I am seeing it doesn't look like it though?

I also heard that it was closely on the Stephen King novel too.

Which from what I am seeing it doesn't look like it though?

...Hah, the marketing 101 dictates that even if the movie has ~10% similarity to the source material, then it qualifies to carry the tag "A Faithful Adaptation!!" on the poster. I never expected it to be a carbon copy of the novels or the comic books, but am curious as to how much of the.... original ideas are still left remaining in there.

...Well, King allegedly didn't like Stanley Kubrick's The Shining, so there's that, I guess. :lol:

But the books are notoriously well known for being adaptation-proof, and the filmmakers somehow have done it, so a substantial rejigging of stuff must've happened along the way. I'm not gonna lie, though. I am psyched for this film, way more than Episode VIII, even. I really, really hope that TDT does smashingly well in the box office, guaranteeing the steady flow of quality sequels thereafter.

A man can only dream.

...Well, King allegedly didn't like Stanley Kubrick's The Shining, so there's that, I guess. :lol:

But the books are notoriously well known for being adaptation-proof, and the filmmakers somehow have done it, so a substantial rejigging of stuff must've happened along the way. I'm not gonna lie, though. I am psyched for this film, way more than Episode VIII, even. I really, really hope that TDT does smashingly well in the box office, guaranteeing the steady flow of quality sequels thereafter.

A man can only dream.

Well I recall the biggest complaint (and something I enjoyed) was Idris Elba being given the lead, when the book character is supposedly white. King came out and said something along the lines of how the gunslinger doesn't have an ethnicity really and that he backed the idea of Elba and thought it was great.

As a Luther fan and a fan of this series and genre of book, the only thing that can go wrong with it is the production. Because the cast and story/source material is great so making it work is what needs to be done for fans to be happy.

Well I recall the biggest complaint (and something I enjoyed) was Idris Elba being given the lead, when the book character is supposedly white. King came out and said something along the lines of how the gunslinger doesn't have an ethnicity really and that he backed the idea of Elba and thought it was great.

As a Luther fan and a fan of this series and genre of book, the only thing that can go wrong with it is the production. Because the cast and story/source material is great so making it work is what needs to be done for fans to be happy.

...Yeah, Idris Elba is a damn fine actor in whatever role he's in. Last week, I watched a pretty awful turd called Bastille Day which starred Elba and boy, he was literally the only redeeming thing in the entire film. I have a lot of respect for that man now.

Although, having said that, Elba should stick to acting only for the time being - in Bastille Day, he performs the theme song which is.... kind of terrible, really. No, it's bloody awful, actually. A perfect bookend for a bad film, incidentally.

Aside from the main character being white, I'm pretty sure one of the major themes of the series was racism and basically by making him black basically screws over a couple arcs?

Aside from the main character being white, I'm pretty sure one of the major themes of the series was racism and basically by making him black basically screws over a couple arcs?

And this changes what you quoted how exactly, trying to figure that out...

...The Rotten Tomatoes aggregate reviews are in, and.....

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dark_tower_2017/

....It's not looking particularly good, actually. Of the 54 total reviews counted so far, the film's rated at worryingly low 20%.

What surprised me the most is the running time of the film itself - at 95 minutes, I can't help but wonder, what the hell? Why so short?

I have been a hard core reader of this series since I got the first book... 21 years ago. I have read the series two times and listened to the Audio books 4.
I just watched the movie. I knew going in I was going to be disappointed. I am way to invested in the source material. But I didn't expect it to be this bad. It sours Stephen King to me. He sold out his Magnus opium and I feel resentment towards him for it.

Latest Posts

Back