The Day I Got Found Out

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hello Fellow Racers and car enthusiasts!

Yesterday was the day I found out I wasn’t as good as I thought I was. Whether it was a day off, bad luck or lack of talent (certainly the last one), I stepped up and got found out.

I am new to this whole gig of sim racing, and as such mashed my way through the GT7 main game with little issue on it’s easiest mode (there were moments but in the most part, was straight forward).

As fun as it is winning every time, guaranteed money in the bank, 2mins ahead of everyone else, there is no challenge and let’s face it..it does get boring. Having accumulated a small fortune, grinding Spa and Le Mans in my Vantage V12 GT3, I decided last night to step it up.

I went up a level.

Off the bat, the AI just seems more aggressive. Notching up to the middle difficulty, to see what happened; 30mins Le Mans, a race I have won so many times I have lost count, and my goodness it was different. The V12 GT3 was slower, the AI seemed to be all driven by Max Verstappen. I seemed to get hit without reason, nudge in the back and tap into spins. My usual braking points were no good and the AI seemed to steam into every corner and James Bond stylee tail slide out of them, collecting anyone in their path.

The first few attempts ended in frustrating tears. Getting spun round, hit down the straight and having to constantly start at the back became the biggest annoyance.

Side Bar: Starting at the back for the main game, I get. But once it’s completed. Why? At least give an option for qualifying…

Having made my way through the main pack, the top 3 cars seem to somehow get 40/ 50secs up the road in one lap and, seeing as I have to play silly buggers with the mapping for fuel at Le Mans (some reason my Aston can only hold 2 laps worth of petrol), it meant I sat and watched the blue arrows on the map miles ahead, unable to catch them.

Now. I did win. On the 4th attempt. It was more fun, yes 200%. Actually racing, instead of getting past everyone and time trailing the rest of the race was more fun. But. The race isn’t long enough. The other cars are waaaaaaaaaaaay too fast if you have to start at the back.

Anyway. Long rant over. It is more fun and equally more annoying - but maybe that’s how it goes. I’m nowhere near as good or fast as I thought I was and, much to learn. Also, new rig enroute :)

Congrats son upping your game- If you haven't try racing Sophy on each difficulty, then when you feel ready jump online & test your mettle

@WarlLipWick you are talking about races with certain car , certain traks .
Know the track is the " First " aspect and very crucial.
Know the car is the second one .
You can be very or quite good with a " compo " of trak - car but suck to many others .
Since you mention le mans ,is my favourite track for griding and a i use non stop cars equipped with intermediate tyres.
When i started i was on 4.30 plus ,first time i hit 4.25s was like heaven for me ,now i reach 4.22 ( high) and even run under 31 minutes on 7 lap race .
What i want to say ?
Only lap times give the result of how good you are or can be , its not the AI or if you win by a mile or a by a meter.
Timer reflects your progress, nothing else .
Of course they are also other parameters that you have to deal with its time , the traffic,the weather etc. but in a clear road pushing, experiment, try different lines etc ,helps you to be better and wiser.
We are not run just for grid ,we try to pul out something from it ,at least that's what am trying to do and also make things more spicy and interesting.

Last edited:
YOu need to go online to see how good you are, the AI is just arbitrary. Enter a few daily races and see where you sit.
You can tell to a large extent just from how good a qualifying time you can set. Better racecraft can make one player better than another when their qualifying times are close, but there's a limit to how much difference in solo pace you can compensate for with racecraft, which is why when you get to 50k+ DR FIA races, lots of people are separated on the grid by just a few hundredths of a second.

There is no kind way to say it, so here it goes...

Your benchmark, the lowest difficulty level, is too low.
Most of the races (not all), including the 30 min Le Mans with the Aston Martin DBR9 GT1, should be pretty straightforward on the hardest level. The user cars aren't slower on harder levels, just the AI cars are faster. They aren't more aggressive, they drive like you weren't there, as always, they just brake later an corner faster, so will hit you on places where before they wouldn't.

I would say i am an average driver here. Above than average for a GT7-casual-offline-player but close to average for the GT-Planet forum. I was a B-rating online player (no time for online now), had no real problem golding the Licences, golded the Missions except the last 1-hour mission which i didn't even try up to now. I am close to golding the circuit experiences. Only have Nürburgring, Mont Panorama and one Tokyo Layout left.

I play on the PS5 controller with automatic gearing and all assists off, except ABS. I started on hard difficulty and do not turn it down ever. If something is a challenge, that is welcome.

You will get a lot better if you bump up the difficulty and turn down the assists. As long as you win without a challenge, there will be no motivation and no feeling for having to improve.

Edit: "The day you found out" - that's a good thing. :-)

Last edited:
Back