The Death of Speedvision

• Thread starter PaddockBoy
  • 17 comments
United States
Ringgold, GA
LTNINGFan
LTNINGFan
Well as of 7:59pm on Monday (eastern) Speedvision will be no more, and will then be known as Speed Channel. Basically it will become mostly Nascar, which I could do without. I saw some of the comments how how bad Speedvision's telecasts of F1 races are. Well, they can't do much in the studio since the are getting a world-wide feed. Sam Posey and David Hobbs may not be the most exciting two on there (Bob Varsha and former Benetton tech chief Steve Matchett do better) but ABC's coverage of the U.S. Grand Prix last year was one of the worst productions I had ever seen.
Speed Channel will have F1 this year, but look for it to be the last.
If they get rid of it after this season, I don't see anyone else here in the states that would show practice(tape delay), qualifying, and the race live.
Yeah, Speedvision may not be the best, but I fear the worst is yet to come. :nervous:

Speed Channel is giving us more Rally, but that is probably cheaper to air than F1, and the guy they got to replace the WRC.com program (I believe it's from them), is annoying. Not all of us care about who commentates, nationality-wise. Mispronouncing a few French cars, as some Englishmen tend to do (no offense), is not as annoying as a loud American. "Look! The Driver hasn't blinked! Look!" Shut up. Well, Wings and Water is gone, or has been gone for a while; that may end the potential slogan of "Get high with The Speed Channel," for their plane enthusiast-oriented shows. But the two worst things are the too big graphics (look like MSNBC), which may screw up any text on the screen that is of interest so that The Speed Channel may let you know the name of the guy on screen. Think they will respect you enough to put the name in another part of the screen when you are trying to read subtitles on a program? And, dreaded day, the end of proper endurance coverage is at hand.

Well, I think that the only problem will be less (or no) coverage of things like BTCC, FIA sports cars, and DTM. For example, Saturday nights recently have been classic NASCAR. I think we'll still get good coverage of F1 (I think their commentators do quite well; they're certainly better than ABC's atrocious job of televising F1, and I hope we never see those pieces of **** announcing F1 ever again). If it goes to network, hopefully it'll go to Fox so that they can keep the announcers. I think that SV's commentators do a better job than anyone else in the US for any form of racing. ABC/ESPN's CART coverage wasn't great (although mainly I'm bitter not about the announcers but about the way they treated the race at Road America--when I want to see a CART race I'd like to see the whole thing (and not on tape delay at 1 a.m.!). NBC's coverage of NASCAR wasn't very good either; Fox's was fairly good.

Don't plan on seeing reruns of your favorite shows any more. And don't expect a Saturday night of touring and sports cars.

Losing Speedvision has been really bad for me - it came to my area about 10 months ago and I was as happy as could be. Live F1 at last, with qualifying and practice, along with some really good touring car races. Now I see this Speed channel that always shows the good ole' Nascar boys dropping the Speedvision logo for the new S/P/E/E/D logo. If that isn't a hint of what's coming, what is? I thought fox wanted a near 24 hour Nascar channel and I think that's what were leaning towards unfortunately....
On a good note, they are really covering WRC well, but they need someone like the guy on the Dakar Rally. That is my last memory of the magnificent speedvision ---- Rest in peace ---- :( :(

Well, I think we'll still see F1, WRC, CART, and many other racing series, but you better be sure to catch them when they air 'cause they won't be coming on many times.

And a lot of the non-US series like those I mentioned in an earlier post might not be seen. And shows like Motorsport Mundial may disappear.

[edit]--and flag-to-flag for Le Mans? I don't know.

Speedvision did have a a lot of great specialty shoes as well. Hell, I am even going to miss the Saturday Night movies they had.

Not ready for the good-ol-boy stuff :(

Well it was too good to be true, and im tired of fox buying f--king rights to allmost all the sports, they make a production out of everything, the make it like some diseny movie. What happened to the good days when I used to wake up and watch F1 at 4:30 AM on ESPN, and does ESPN still show the races live in the morning?? if anyone knows please let me know, Id rather do that than deal with nascar.

Well it was too good to be true, and im tired of fox buying f--king rights to allmost all the sports, they make a production out of everything, the make it like some diseny movie. What happened to the good days when I used to wake up and watch F1 at 4:30 AM on ESPN, and does ESPN still show the races live in the morning?? if anyone knows please let me know, Id rather do that than deal with nascar."

Only Speedvision (here in the states) shows practice (tape delay), qualifying, and races live.
Speed Channel will through this season but not sure on the next.
I agree with you, Fox has bought everything and turned it into crap.

March 3 is almost here!! Austrailian Grand Prix!

Originally posted by PaddockBoy
Only Speedvision (here in the states) shows practice (tape delay), qualifying, and races live.
Speed Channel will through this season but not sure on the next.
I agree with you, Fox has bought everything and turned it into crap.

March 3 is almost here!! Austrailian Grand Prix!

This whole thread is doom-and-gloom where none is necessary.

think about it--speedvision is in over 40 million homes in the US--thats almost 1 in 5. And they got there with almost NO help from NASCAR coverage at all.

As for F1, keep in mind that Speedvision did not know at all if they were going to show the F1 season until 2 weeks before it started. It seems that Bernie likes to play a little fast and loose with the US TV deal.

Me? I'm not worried. If a few NASCAR shows replace the tired old/boring boat and plane shows, and infomercials, then I'm fine with that. If they replace/displace too much of the touring cars and sports car races, however, I'll write to them and complain. If it becomes the NASCAR channel I'll shake my head and discontinue. *shrugs* tis the way the capitalist world works :)

Well, I'd rather watch the Olympics than see Speed Channel's current NASCAR programming.

I think we'll be okay though. F1 will still be around.

Good bye speedvision, however, it should've went, cuz of all the boat shows and everything like that. After all, who wants to watch about BOATS??? :mad: :)

don't put this down to silly arguments. try looking at the schedule, if all they are replacing is something like maximum marine, i doubt most of us would care.

up again.

ok i'll stop. though i think this thread should be moved as it is broader than f1

All I saw on Speed Channel was one hour of rally on monday and one hour of motorcycle on tuesday (or was it wednesday?). It was on about 9 pm-10pm. That's the only time that I turn on speed channel that have anything other than nascar.

Back