The Different Types Of Lobbies

• Thread starter josh_848GT
  • 14 comments

What is your favourite lobby type?

• Total voters
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Josh_848GT
I kind of want to put this post up as somewhere where the different groups can talk about there different types of lobbies they open. I'm quite a regular player off GT6 however recently I've started to drift away from it and i think the lack of new good updates is a factor but my biggest complaint about GT6 right now is the constant arguments that seem to be happening, recently its been difficult to find a lobby where there isn't someone arguing with another now i understand there will be people out there who aren't like this but it no longer feels like a minority.

Anyway my little rant over i just want this to be a place where people can come talk about there groups and like help people say maybe PP races that tend to go into 70 MPH lobbies and speed and just annoy the host and then same the other way round. i'll be the first person to admit that i don't understand the cruise lobbies like im not sure why people find it so interesting.

I have a few questions that people maybe able to give me there opinions on,

What is the big interest in the 70 MPH lobbies?
Why do some people restrict aid's in race lobbies?
(I like to be able to chose depending on what car I'm driving)
Finally is there any reason people don't use boost during races?
( I find that it levels the field out get a bit more wheel to wheel racing

Thanks a lot

1 - depends on what sort of 70mph lobby. Some people like the idea of the lobbies with police because it makes them think they're being 'realistic'. Some lobbies involve multiple cars crusing at 70 in a line or a group. That can be quite fun. Gives you a chance to relax, admire other peoples' cars and the tracks themselves.
2 - Most race lobbies disable skid recovery because it doesn't exist, and it's a rather silly idea. Other aids are disabled for the sake of a challenge, or to make everyone more level.
3 - Boost is, in many's eyes, a ridiculous, unrealistic nanny that rewards you for being last, comparable to mario-kart. Another reason may simply be that it does not show who the best driver is, and I can see why people wouldn't like that.

I absolutely love stock cars (no tuning) lobbies with random PP, changing the track and PP every 3 or 4 races.

As far as your questions go:
- I don't really know as I don't go to those lobbies at all.
- Makes it more challenging I guess, I tend to choose lobbies with the aids off so there's a level playing field.
- It's very unrealistic, and kinda stupid to be honest, but that's only a personal opinion.

I chose other.

Most of my time spent online is in my own nurburgring track day room.

All aids restricted (except abs) because that's how I like to play, plus restricted to race hard tyres.

Normally get a good half dozen people punting round in similar spec cars.

I dont get the 70mph lobbies as your on a racing game and many people will have brought cars because they do more than 70mph so why leave it at 70mph it doesnt make sense the other thing that annoys me about them is the majority seem to be in London WHY??? surely sierra is better for 70mph as it has actual lanes and is a track which makes sense to cruise on and it actually has scenery and is great fun in a small light sports car like the Caterham but not at 70mph no-one likes 70mph... bit of a rant (Sorry)

I spend most my time on my own cruise server (Not 70mph) I have it at Monaco just because it means you can use the cars you want to use but don't necessarily becasue its not going to stand up in a race. and its just good fun last night i was online and there were two Mk.1 Golfs racing always together real close racing then everyone else was setting lap times or just messing around making sure to get out the way when the Golfs came around xD. But thats what i find fun for when i want to relax a bit but otherwise i will just go on a race lobby with PP restriction to have closer racing

And answering your questions

1. As i mentioned above i dont get it non restricted cruise servers i understand but not restricted ones
2. its to make the racing more realistic i guess in racing its likely you wont have TC or ABS. SRF is always off as its for beginners as it artificially increases grip and this just has no place in a sim and to some extent the owner sets up the restrictions to how they like it
3. its unrealistic i always turn it off because it doesn't happen in real life and if they cant set up their car then thats their own problem.

JAMP0T1

If you want a clean lobby experience, all you need to do is set SRF, ASM, Boost and Driving Line to Off. The SRF and ASM are the main things that ward off unwanted idiots that just want to mess around in a room.

I usually go into PP lobbies or track day lobbies to test and tune some of my cars.

Lately (lately, I haven't been in a lobby in months--collecting and cataloguing paint chips for a database) I enter a track day lobby, check to see if grip reduction is set to 'Real' before I finish joining fully, politely ask for it to be changed if it's not and then leave if the answer is no or a reply doesn't come in a reasonable amount of time. :lol:

I say it that way because it seemed to be the case 90% of the time. I don't care if others are on RS tires or use SRF because, if they're civilized, this doesn't affect me like not having any consequences for cutting over grass on a track does.

I kind of want to put this post up as somewhere where the different groups can talk about there different types of lobbies they open. I'm quite a regular player off GT6 however recently I've started to drift away from it and i think the lack of new good updates is a factor but my biggest complaint about GT6 right now is the constant arguments that seem to be happening, recently its been difficult to find a lobby where there isn't someone arguing with another now i understand there will be people out there who aren't like this but it no longer feels like a minority.

Anyway my little rant over i just want this to be a place where people can come talk about there groups and like help people say maybe PP races that tend to go into 70 MPH lobbies and speed and just annoy the host and then same the other way round. i'll be the first person to admit that i don't understand the cruise lobbies like im not sure why people find it so interesting.

I have a few questions that people maybe able to give me there opinions on,

Thanks a lot

I have never set up a cruise only, cat and mouse, or 70mph lobby. Not really into a lobby just for that. I did join a lobby for cat and mouse once on GT5 just to see what they were doing. It was OK, something different, but only stay a little while. I also think there is nothing wrong with it either. The beauty of Gran Turismo is just being able to enjoy it how you like to drive cars. Some people just want to drive around at slower speeds and that's OK. It's your game and enjoy it doing what you like to do.

Not sure really. I have been running a club for almost 4 years now and I never restrict driving aids. I want you to use whatever you need to be competitive. All skill levels allowed and welcomed in our club. We enjoy helping newbies to the game get better. And as for the ones who don't like it, then you can turn them off too. As for the comments to keep idiots out, I have been doing this a while now and seldom get idiots in the room and if we do then they get warned and if they can't clean it up then they are out and blocked from the club. I think some restrict aids because they are pretty good at it and they know others might not be and it gives them an advantage and better chance to win. There are also some that set up lobbies with a specific PP like 476, 612 or something like that. You can almost bet they are using a car that they tuned and practice with all the time and then restrict the aids that they can drive without so they can win more. If you don't believe then go into one of those lobbies. They won't even switch the car they are in. I like to mix it up and race all kinds of cars. We do run some races with aids off as well to change it up a bit. Turn them on, turn them off, mix it up bit, and enjoy the game.

"its been difficult to find a lobby where there isn't someone arguing with another"
You won't find that here. Again, 4 years of this and we have a great bunch of people driving with us and NO arguments. I get mad at someone sometimes because they messed up, collected me, and ruined a league race in the first few laps. It's alright though. It's racing and no one in our club wrecks another on purpose. Things happen even in the real world racing. I have had my fair share of messing up and hitting someone off the track because I made a stupid move. I enjoy racing with the members of our club and the time we spend together. The company and conversions is part of it too. I have met people from all over the world because of this game that I never would have otherwise. How cool is that.

We run all kinds of races, with boost and without. Our goal is to have something for everyone. I like to encourage our members to open a lobby and host some races the way you want to host them. Only rule is to run the lobby to our standard of (Race clean, pass clean or wait until you can, no deliberate wrecking of others, no backwards or other inappropriate driving.) and (Treat all members with respect. No threats, harassment, or verbal abuse will be tolerated. You will be removed from the club.) Unless its a dirty race, then or course the wrecking is suppose to happen. And yes, a good dirty race can be a lot of fun too.

I like to use boost on some races for the following:
  • Keeps everyone close together and will make you a better driver in traffic. Do a 30 minute race in a stock, untuned car with boost on weak and you will be tired and the end. Some don't like the boost because they might be fast but can't drive around other cars and then get mad.
  • To replace cautions - I use it in long races to replace cautions. If you are doing a long race, say 1 hr or more, and someone has an incident early on, there would most likely be a caution in real life allowing the field to regroup, pit, and so on. Not in GT6 though, you mess up your race or worse someone else's early on and and everyone else keeps on going and it's over for you. No one wants to drive around in the back, by yourself for 40 minutes, without a hope in hell of having a chance. So what happens? That member will most likely drop out of the race which brings me to my next point.
  • It keeps members in the race for the duration know there might be a chance to catch up and showing up for the next event.
  • At Daytona as an example, if you go a lap down, which you can easily at this track, it takes around 13 laps if I remeber correctly to catch back up with boost on weak. Boost will still not help you here if you mess up too much. You can still finish the race 1 or more laps down. Sometimes the boost is just a false hope.
The best racers will always be the ones up front whether boost is on or off. It gives the slower cars, or the ones who wreck early on, a glimmer hope knowing they will be back in the race at some point or if you are the slower driver at least seeing some cars in front of you.

I personally like to race all types of cars and mix up the way we do them, boost on or off, aids on or off, clean racing or dirty racing, 250pp cars or the fastest cars in the game.

I guess my point is find some people that race the game the way you do, make friends, and have some good, fun, and competitive racing.

You are welcome anytime to race with us.

Last edited:
Out of the options, I prefer PP racing. However I am more for just racing in general. As for your questions:

Some people like to travel at these slow speeds, just cruise, chat and chill. I'm not a fan of these lobbies but I can see the interest.

Because why would you want some people racing with SRF which gives a clear advantage whilst others are racing without? I only like to see one or two aids allowed in a race, and those are traction control (dependant) and ABS.

I'm assuming that you're on about the boost setting, and not about the nitrous setting. Boost is nothing more than a gimmick to close the field up. It's fine for NASCAR-style races to act like a caution but nothing more.

I mostly spend time with other GTP members on Racing online or cruising around. (I'm a part of 2 different GTP cruising clubs).

Other than that, I also spend time on track day lobbies.

If you joined some cruising room's on the clubs i'm part of, there a lot of moments where there's some high speed chase happens between cops and some reckless racers. Sometimes there's some car meeting show happening with guys bringing their cool rides and such. Let's not forget that Sierra looks so beautiful and an awesome place in GT6 to cruise on. Oh and btw one of them has track day events.

I race a lot of one-make and multi class Racing with some fellow members, all the driving aids are restrictions including Abs except some rare races were abs is allowed. The races are really close ones and we just chill around talking with each other and simply have fun.

The cruising lobbies are fun if you are with friends/have a mic/tuning and testing casually (not the speed-restricted ones), but usually you need to be in a specific mindset to enjoy such rooms (but it's also surprisingly...nice and fun to cruise!) When I host I usually have weakboost on, because I host friendly rooms where close, fun racing is much more important than who finishes where. I turn it off when there's 8+ drivers because that way tactics come back into the racing (also as player count goes up laps tend to go up and since v.f.wear on anyway, this allows pit strategy). I turn off most aids because that is how everyone is the most involved with their driving, it's a challenge and it adds more strategy with how throttle/brake is applied. With aids in particular though it depends on what your friends like too - for example TCS is almost always asked to be forced off online in rooms because there are people who won't use aids and it makes it fair for them that no one else has it allowed either. Unless I specifically make a no aids room driving line will be on, because technically doesn't make anyone faster and since my rooms are trackvote anyway, helps those unfamiliar with a new track. ABS on just because forcing that off severely limits how many people will join.

Back