The "dynamic weather" kind of ruins a lot of the fun

• Thread starter ebadevil
  • 19 comments
United States
Atlanta, GA
EBA_Devil
I would like to preface what I'm about to say with that I'm really loving the game and I do enjoy driving the cars in the rain but... I understand that sometimes rain starts in the middle of the race but I really don't like how PD implemented the feature. The race can start with a perfectly sunny weather and then in so many races you get rain by lap 4. Which I would be fine with if this happened in races where I could start the race on slicks and pit to change the tires once rain starts. But when you only have 5 laps and rain usually starts on lap 4, you are basically always forced to use intermediates tires. This takes so much of the fun away from being able to choose your tires (also they are kinda expensive early on). There's basically now only one option for tire choice and it's not a particularly fun one in terms of performance. I just feel like I don't get to experience the full fun of driving these cars (which is awesome btw when you aren't dealing with rain in the middle of the race) by handicapping myself with intermediate tires. I really think PD should just stick to dedicating the shorter races to be only clear or only rain and reserve the dynamic weather for the longer races where you can change your tires. Rant over.

If you use sport tyres and follow racing line you don't get hard time when starts raining.
I like it with dynamic weather.
Best GT by far, and it will only get better wgen they polish some details and issues.

You could try using sport or comfort tires instead. More grip than intermediates in the dry and being grooved tires provide more grip in the wet than slicks.

The road rarely gets so wet that you need inters or wets. If the wetness indicator at the bottom left is less than 1/3 then you can run dry weather tires, just need to be a bit more careful.

What bumps me is it starts raining and 2 minutes later the track is completely wet. Why is this even the case? This means if it starts to rain at Nordschleife, and you're at the start and on slicks, you're completely screwed, you don't even get a chance to react.

Agree with the others, you're overthinking the problem. Just working through the menu books especially you're not going to find anything that requires change of tires from slicks. a bit of rain never hurt anyone 😀

So the PP between Sports Soft and Intermediates is the same and they feel about the same as least on the pad (still waiting for my wheel to get here)? Do you guys think Sports Soft are a better option? I use those on a lot of cars and they feel a little underwhelming in the rain personally? Like I feel the dry weather performance is roughly the same and intermediate do better in rain?

What bumps me is it starts raining and 2 minutes later the track is completely wet. Why is this even the case? This means if it starts to rain at Nordschleife, and you're at the start and on slicks, you're completely screwed, you don't even get a chance to react.
I think this is because at the short races the time goes a lot faster. I don't think it would happen like this during a custom race when the time is not sped up

Agree with the others, you're overthinking the problem. Just working through the menu books especially you're not going to find anything that requires change of tires from slicks. a bit of rain never hurt anyone 😀
Man, I just finished the Porsche menu and I feel like I just experienced all 4 seasons during the Nurburgring race lol

But just thinking about it, it's not that it makes it impossible to win, I still won those races. The issue is that the game throws a lot of different cars at you to try and I love that part. But I feel like I'm getting a marginal experience when I'm driving those cars. So my issue isn't even about winning the race and progressing, it's more about the enjoyment of driving these cars

Last edited:
The one thing I was missing about the weather was an indicator before the race start about the current state of the track. You may see it's wet but not if it's for Intermediates or full wets. On a normal race it's not a big issue as you can restart, but it was a bit annoying during the championships.

Man, I just finished the Porsche menu and I feel like I just experienced all 4 seasons during the Nurburgring race lol
I just did that an hour back, I had heavy rain at Spa as well, and yeah it was not a lot of fun so I feel you :lol: but I never thought I better pit for wets.

Last edited:
I just did that an hour back, I had heavy rain at Spa as well, and yeah it was not a lot of fun so I feel you :lol: but I never thought I better pit for wets.
Bro, at one point I probably would've swapped for dirt tires given how much the car slid off

But just thinking about it, it's not that it makes it impossible to win, I still won those races. The issue is that the game throws a lot of different cars at you to try and I love that part. But I feel like I'm getting a marginal experience when I'm driving those cars. So my issue isn't even about winning the race and progressing, it's more about the enjoyment of driving these cars
What tires did you use? I'm running RH and I usually get to 4th when it starts raining. At that point the top 3 don't seem to slow down. I can get to a few seconds back but can never catch 3rd. It's also absurd because it's the first race where the top 3 all finish together and then the next AI (5th) is like 20 secs back.

Time is definitely greatly accelerated in the Menu Book races. You can tell by how quickly the sun sets and how quickly the track dries. Like at Suzuka it started raining, and stopped just as we were coming across the start finish line. So, the track was wet at that point and all the cars were passing through. End of next lap the racing line is already visible even though no cars had actually driven through to dry the line. So yes, greatly accelerated time in the "career mode".

What tires did you use? I'm running RH and I usually get to 4th when it starts raining. At that point the top 3 don't seem to slow down. I can get to a few seconds back but can never catch 3rd. It's also absurd because it's the first race where the top 3 all finish together and then the next AI (5th) is like 20 secs back.
I was on SS tires. I was doing mostly fine in dry conditions, but when it started raining it all went crazy. I was probably 5th coming into the last straight and I basically blew past 4 or maybe 5 cars drafting on the last straight. Finished first but again, the challenge seems misguided. I don't wanna beat Nurburgring on dry or intermediate tires in the rain. I want to do well driving the full course on proper tires. Essentially what I'm saying is I want to test my skills rather than my tire selection.

Last edited:
I love the dynamic weather in this game, and I'm so glad PD put more emphasis on the rain physics and dynamism in addition to the visuals of dry/wet lines and puddles.

Last edited:
I hate this about the AI. They've gotten rid of the rubber-banding problem from previous games by having most of the field be nothing more than moving chicanes, while the top three cars run hard, fast, and can ignore things like the laws of physics that applies to the player.

I'm not sure if this is an improvement over the rubber-banding or not...

Last edited:
I hate this about the AI. They've gotten rid of the rubber-banding problem from previous games by having most of the field be nothing more than moving chicanes, while the top three cars run hard, fast, and can ignore things like the laws of physics that applies to the player.

I'm not sure if this is an improvement over the rubber-banding or not...
Right lol! I was racing on the Brazil circuit, I took down 30 seconds of a headstart in 2 laps, then the computer decided the it was gonna keep up with my McLaren with no regard for physics or reality for the next 3 laps. This is Need For Speed Underground level or rubberbanding

Back