THE EIGHTIES: Best New Wave and Pop Songs thereofMusic 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Year.Zero
  • 13 comments
  • 1,201 views

Year.Zero

(Banned)
Messages
383
Exactly what it sounds like. Let's try to make the biggest list we can (and I sorta, uh, need this by New Years Eve :p)!

Note:
Any suggestions for original or remixes or remakes of songs by ABBA will be warned to moderators.

I've got some of the majors so far:

Michael Jackson - Billy Jean
-Thriller
-Bad
-Beat It
-Smooth Criminal
-Wanna Be Starting Something
Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams
Not sure who - Tainted Love
Oingo Boingo - Dead Man's Party
Huey Lewis And The News - It's Hip To Be Square
-I Want A New Drug
Madonna - Material Girl
Roxy Music - More Than This
- In Every Dreamhome A Heartache
Bauhaus - Cry Little Sister
Billy Idol - Mony Mony
-You Spin Me Right Round
-Rebel Yell
-Dancing With Myself
-White Wedding
Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Two Tribes
Sigue Sigue Sputnik - Love Missile F1-11
Gary Numan - Cars
The Human League - (Keep Feeling) Fascination
Blondie - Atomic
Nena - 99 Luftballons
Kim Wilde - Kids in America
Tears for Fears - Pale Shelter
-Mad World
Corey Hart - Sunglasses At Night
ABC - Poison Arrow
A Flock of Seagulls - I Ran (So Far Away)
Psychedelic Furs - Love My Way
Animotion - Obsession
Spandau Ballet - Gold
Thomas Dolby - Hyperactive!
Romeo Void - Never Say Never
Kenny Loggins - Footloose
Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want To Have Fun
Queen:
- Radio GaGa
-Bohemian Rhapsody, compulsory inclusion
...and We Are The Champions
...and We Will Rock You
-Under Pressure
-A Kind Of Magic
-I'm Going Slightly Mad
-Another One Bites The Dust
-Princes Of The Universe
-Invisible Man
-The Show Must Go On
-Mad The Swine
-Hammer To Fall
-Headlong
-Killer Queen
-Bicycle Race
-Fat Bottomed Girls
-I Want To Break Free

Prince:
-When Doves Cry
-Let's Go Crazy
-Purple Rain
-I Would Die 4 U
-Take Me with U

Foreigner - Waiting For A Girl Like You
-I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight
-Juke Box Hero
Meat Loaf - Modern Girl
Mötley Crüe - Looks That Kill (ok, it's not pop or new wave, sue me)
The Buggles - Video Killed The Radio Star
Kate Bush - Wow
Squeeze - Tempted
REO Speedwagon - Keep On Loving You
Cutting Crew - (I Just) Died In Your Arms (wait, what?)
Toto - Africa
Mr. Mister - Broken Wings
John Waite - Missing You
Jan Hammer - Crockett's Theme
Night Ranger - Sister Christian
Luther Vandross - Never Too Much
 
ZUICE! Is the BEST!
 
Tears for Fears:
-Everybody Wants to Rule the World

Van Halen:
- Pretty Woman
- Hot for Teacher
- Jump

RATT:
- Round and Round

Bon Jovi:
- Livin' On a Prayer
- Dead or Alive

Morris Day and the Time:
- Jungle Love

Phil Collins:
- In the Air Tonight
- Sussudio

Living Colour:
- Cult of Personality

...Some of the best 80s songs, IMO...
 
I have a whole playlist of 80's songs on my iPod...

a-ha
-Take On Me

Debbie Deb
-When I Hear Music

Depeche Mode
-Enjoy The Silence

Foreigner
-I Want To Know What Love Is

The Police
-Every Breath You Take

Roger
-I Want To Be Your Man

Roxette

-Dangerous

Zapp
-Computer Love
 
Erasure - Who Needs Love Like That
Depeche Mode - Master And Servant, Black Celebration, Everything Counts, Somebody, A Question of Lust, Get The Balance Right... actually pretty much all their stuff
Bronski Beat - Small Town Boy
Duran Duran - Reflex
Nik Kershaw - Wouldn't it be good
Flock of Seagulls - Wishing
Thomson Twins - Hold me now, Doctor doctor, you take me up

I'll think of more.

Corrections needed on original list:
Tainted love was performed by Soft Cell.
You Spin Me Right Round was that high energy weirdo with the eyepatch, not Billy Idol.
 
You Spin Me Right Round was Dead or Alive.

I've thrown my share of 80s parties. I'll throw down a list when I get some time.
 
Oh boy, good songs listed but I really have to mention one of my favourite songs of the 80's.

New Order - Bizarre Love Triangle
 
I just thought of a great one:

Q Lazarus - Goodbye Horses. The creepy Buffalo Bill song that's played during Silence Of The Lambs (and later referenced in Clerks 2).
 
Roxette - Dressed for success? or was that 90's..

Cyndi lauper - time after time.
 
Transvision Vamp.. Wendy James is still a dirty fantasy...
 
Back