the evo so easy to drive?

• Thread starter ddldave
  • 22 comments
StayProRaceClean
i'm talking about the demo, not the real prologue

i drove the evo and sti, is-f, and other cars, they're all set on same settings too, S3 tires MT, with simulation mode and 0 tcm/asm and stuff, but it seem like the evo is so much easier to corner with, everytime i try corner with the sti, and is-f and stuff, it doesn't seem to have the corner ability that the evo does. anybody else know what's wrong? i thought the sti and evo was suppose to be brother but evo so much easier.

Last Best Motoring episode, new EVO (5MT & SST gearbox) vs EVO IX GSR and "old" Impreza WRX STi. Who is the winner? :D

Download: link removed by mod

http://www.bestmotoring.jp/BM/200801/

ph_3_07b.jpg

stinger, nice movie man! how'd you manage to find these? can you find me some more videos? i want to watch import cars though.

Actually, I found that the STI is very smooth and the Evo is very twitchy. I think the Evo is faster but it doesn't feel as well balanced as the STI. As for the IS-F it has a good noise and looks but it is heavy, understeers, and cannot accelerate as well as the field the demo puts it against.

can you find me some more videos? i want to watch import cars though.
No, he can't. BM videos are copyrighted and posting download links to them is not allowed here.

...As for the IS-F it has a good noise and looks but it is heavy, understeers, and cannot accelerate as well as the field the demo puts it against.

Try switching off TC and ASM and then put on a set of normal tyres, you will never have to worry about understeer again. :sly:

I find the Evo easier to drive but much more twitchy, even when driving down the straights.

The STi on the other hand is just almost as fast you just have to drive it differently, it can become a little twichy also when braking hard into a corner and tends to understeer more on corner exits, but pull a good lap and its lap time is not far off the Evos.

(Talking about the demo)

BM races are NEVER a good indication of performance as they grid their race according to P/W ratio, with the lowest at the very front. Not to mention drivers makes a big difference.

Perhaps the fastest lap times from those races are a better indication.

BM races are NEVER a good indication of performance as they grid their race according to P/W ratio, with the lowest at the very front. Not to mention drivers makes a big difference.

Perhaps the fastest lap times from those races are a better indication.

something like 1 driver vs all car tests like The Stig ? :sly:

Racing tyres are just too grippy and make the car even easier to drive. I never use them unless forced in races.

They've been building those Evos since 1992 and then improved balance for weight, suspension, 4wd and millions of other stuff for every new generation. The result is in the first post of this thread :)

BM races are NEVER a good indication of performance as they grid their race according to P/W ratio, with the lowest at the very front.

Are you sure about this?

I thought they did a qualifying lap before the race and inverted the grid order, with the slowest starting first and so on.

In real life, yes, the Evo is ridiculously easy to drive fast.

I've owned one (USDM Evo 8) since April 2003, and prepped it for SCCA autocross -- I've probably had around 8-10 other people drive my car in various autocross courses. Every one of them is fast, no matter what car they normally drive -- I've had guys come from the BMW M3, VW Scirocco, Mini Cooper, Camaro Z28, 1st gen RX-7, Audi S4, Mustang Cobra. Every one of them just comments on how the car goes exactly where you want it to, almost intuitively.

I've owned one (USDM Evo 8) since April 2003, and prepped it for SCCA autocross -- ... Every one of them just comments on how the car goes exactly where you want it to, almost intuitively.

I would imagine your prep may also be a contributing factor to their responses. Unless you are racing stock tyres and chassis setup :)

If you have changed tyres etc, what sinlge change made the most difference in the autox environment for you?

I would imagine your prep may also be a contributing factor to their responses. Unless you are racing stock tyres and chassis setup :)

Not since April 2004 have I autoxed it with stock tires, stock suspension. :)

But in that first year, I did at least 10 autoX days either bone stock or with only motor upgrades, and another 5 days with stock suspension and with dedicated autoX tires.

If you have changed tyres etc, what sinlge change made the most difference in the autox environment for you?

1) Tires. If you haven't driven on dedicated competition tires (like the Hoosier A6 tires I use), you can't really grasp the insane levels of grip that are possible. The only downside is that a set of tires will only last perhaps 50-100 autocross runs before wearing through to the belts.
2) Suspension upgrade, basically 2-3 times stock spring rates plus adjustable dampers.
3) Wheel alignment optimized for autocross.

I also have engine, brake, clutch, and differential upgrades, along with some minor weight reduction, but none of them are as important (for autocross) as the 3 listed above.

I don`t know, i`ve always found the IS-F a handful. Very oversteery under acceleration out of corners,you have to be ultra smooth and it makes you that tiny bit slower than everyone else. Despite having very powerful & purposeful looking brakes,it struggles to pull it`s self up in time & understeers alot as you trail brake into a corner or even without trail braking. It doesn`t sound that good either,but it certainly has a lot of power and accelerates well! Overall i was looking forward to this car but it`s left me disappointed.

Not since April 2004 have I autoxed it with stock tires, stock suspension. :)

But in that first year, I did at least 10 autoX days either bone stock or with only motor upgrades, and another 5 days with stock suspension and with dedicated autoX tires.

1) Tires. If you haven't driven on dedicated competition tires (like the Hoosier A6 tires I use), you can't really grasp the insane levels of grip that are possible. The only downside is that a set of tires will only last perhaps 50-100 autocross runs before wearing through to the belts.
2) Suspension upgrade, basically 2-3 times stock spring rates plus adjustable dampers.
3) Wheel alignment optimized for autocross.

I also have engine, brake, clutch, and differential upgrades, along with some minor weight reduction, but none of them are as important (for autocross) as the 3 listed above.

Exactly!!!

My quesiton was almost rhetorical in its leading nature ;)

My real point is your car "goes exactly where you want it to, almost intuitively" not only because its an Evo, but mostly because it is highly modded for the task at hand ;)

As an aside, is it easy to make your car understeer in a sharp turn with those Hoosiers?

I run Kuhmo V710's on my car for road course work, and find they grip so well that understeer is almost impossible to achieve - so much so I am guessing some members would think the lack of understeer is almost unrealistic ;) hehe

Back