The FFB in iRacing

• Thread starter snoopybg
  • 7 comments
snoopybgsf
I downloaded iRacing the other way to test it. I don't know if things are not right or this is normal but the FFB feels very dull. I tried the solstice and I am not getting any feedback from the road, just different levels of resistance when turning the wheel.
Is this normal for iRacing or something's wrong on my side?

Oh, I thought you still had a membership since you said you just downloaded the game the other day. I guess technically you said "other way" though. :)

Thanks, I can't read it since I don't have an account, but thanks anyway.

Basically, if you want your FFB to be optimal it'll take half an hour to an hour of tinkering depending on how technically proficient you are. iRacing have provided an app which helps to test your wheel to get it perfectly set up. It tests your wheel's actual function, not just what type of wheel you have, which is nice if you have a clapped out old DFGT like me.

You'll also need to adjust per car to get the full range of feedback. This can be a pretty quick and easy job done in a couple of laps to get it close enough, or you can analyse telemetry to make sure you're getting the optimal sensation.

But basically, something is wrong on your side. The Solstice isn't the most feedback-y car ever, but you should feel what's going on when driving say, Lime Rock. I dunno what wheel you have, but try bumping up the minimum force. I'd go to half, and if you don't feel anything go to full. Without the app you're going to have to make big steps.

In the top right there's a bunch of little bar graphs. There's one that shows FFB strength being output, from memory labelled "F". You shouldn't mind it maxing out over curbs, but you want it near about 90% through a hard corner. Take the Solstice out on track and watch it through whatever the hardest corner is, and adjust up or down appropriately. There's a black box for adjusting this setting in-car so you don't have to back out to garage every time.

Possibly the button is F9 for that black box, but again I could be misremembering (I have them bound to other stuff). One of the F keys anyway.

Get it working and then go get a cheap subscription. It's worth it just to have access to the iRacing forums. This stuff is so much simpler with all the information on there.

^But to get access to that app he'll need to pay. Or try to find the app "the other way". It's called wheel check, and he needs a version 1.6 or better to make it simple.

to OP: try this: click 'linear' option, make sure 'damping' is at zero either in the sim or in wheel settings, put something in 'min force'.

I pretty sure it's something wrong on your side. iRacing FFB is pretty decent, maybe not as detailed as in AC, but still very good.

If you pirated it, then you've most likely got a very old version. They have terrible tyres and force feedback. The Solstice and MX5 don't have very detailed FFB to begin with. The skip barber or the GT cars have great FFB. It's still not as good as realfeel for rFactor, but good enough to drive and be competitive with.

Back