The General Music Ensemble ThreadMusic 

• Thread starter titleguy1
  • 9 comments
United States
New York
Hello! This is where I'd like to gather all the violinists of GTPlanet.

I've been playing for 6 years in a school concert ensemble, although I'm not very good, especially when compared to the crazy 6-year-old kids who can somehow play Bach songs twice as fast as I can and make half the mistakes.

I'm starting to think that thread might be small.

I played the viola... would that count?
I mean, I played it for 3 years back in middle school. I still have some experience.

YES! Something that applies to me.

I've been playing violin for five years. I'm currently in my high school's chamber orchestra as a 2nd violin.

Niiice. How conceited will this sound? Very, I will say, but I feel as if I can be in the Chamber orchestra. I would join chamber, but, unfortunately, my teacher... Well, let's put it nicely, she's a perfectionist.

Also, since you're in New York, NYSSMA sucks.

Niiice. How conceited will this sound? Very, I will say, but I feel as if I can be in the Chamber orchestra. I would join chamber, but, unfortunately, my teacher... Well, let's put it nicely, she's a perfectionist.
Just audition anyway, even if you're only a second in regular orchestra. There's really nothing to lose. I was kind of surprised I got into it.
Also, since you're in New York, NYSSMA sucks.
I've never done it (I will be this year though because it's required)...is it that bad?

@GranTurismo916 Well, if you're like me and you're doing level 5, you need to know 15 scales in 2 octaves, and memorize one song that is excruciatingly hard and/or boring such as the one I posted up there.

Also, my teacher does random seating, which means I'm currently in the Violin 1 section but may be in violin 2 next concert.

n e c r o p o s t i n g 101

So, I've decided to open this thread up to anyone in any sort of ensemble; Orchestra, Band, or Chorus.

In other news, I played in a judged contest and got a 100. :D I was ecstatic (and surprised because I 🤬 up a lot.)

I don't play an instrument, but I am quite a fan of music that comes out of the instruments that make up an ensemble.

I would like to take up an instrument purely as a hobby, because I sure as heck don't want to be getting into what some of you are describing; exams and slapping the wrist for playing a note wrong. :lol:

I would like to take up an instrument purely as a hobby, because I sure as heck don't want to be getting into what some of you are describing; exams and slapping the wrist for playing a note wrong. :lol:

Do it! You only get examined for your playing if you play in a school (or a music competition). Most towns have a community band that you can join and play with other like-minded hobbyists if you want to play in an ensemble.

Back