The General Trading Card Game Thread! TGTCGT?!

• Thread starter Lain
  • 8 comments

Lain

Premium
United States
Pasadena, TX
Yaywalter
TGTCGT... a gene sequence that determines TCG fanaticism. Do you carry it?

After a bit of searching, I found that there isn't a good outlet for TCG discussion on here. A sporadically active Yu-Gi-Oh thread (seeing a little activity recently due to the 20th anniversary thing) and a crusty old Frankenstein of an MTG thread.

I think that due to the somewhat niche nature of TCGs, a broad thread for discussing all TCGs would make sense. A thread about a singular TCG might become inactive simply because it faded away off the first page and became forgotten despite there still being people who might be interested in discussing it if they saw the thread existed, but a thread about all of them would probably stay more vibrant because it'd float up to the top a little more frequently. A similar idea to The General Anime Thread... many threads about specific anime titles have been created, only to sink into the abyss of page 2+, whereas TGAT has gained popularity due to its more frequent visibility and is now consistently towards the top of the Movies & TV subforum.

So after that long-winded justification... Welcome to The General Trading Card Game Thread, where any and all TCGs may be discussed! (I figured Console/PC gaming was the best subforum match due to the fact that many new TCGs are digital-only these days, and the most popular paper TCGs also have digital versions)

The first order of business: What TCG(s) do you play and/or collect?

I'm an absolute TCG fanatic so I collect pretty much anything I can get my hands on, but I primarily just play Magic. I do occasionally play Pokemon though, and once in a blue moon I'll play a bit of Yu-Gi-Oh. I also like the relatively new TCG Force of Will, though that's partially because it plays very similarly to Magic (the name itself is an homage to Magic)... but it's got enough fresh changes to not feel like an uninspired ripoff.

Ah yes, Trading Card Games were my life back then when I was younger, I switched from Yu-Gi-Oh to Pokemon many times and it was so much fun battling it out, except when someone steals your blue-eye dragon or Mewtwo EX, good times, I haven't played any card games in a while and most of my Pokemon cards are gone now, I remember the multiple Charzards I had back then, Fire and Poison were my elements and Yu-Gi-Oh, I only had a small deck that I played with my older cousin from time-time.

I haven't seen any new decks in a while for any trading card games, Honestly the only reason I collected them was because how badass the artwork was for the cards:lol: Trading Cards is what got me into Art and drawing in the old days 👍.

Wait... they had EX Pokemon in "the old days"? Wow, then I must be bleepin' ancient or something! :lol:

But yeah, the artwork is definitely one of my favorite things about TCGs... it can make or break a TCG for me. For instance, Weiss Schwarz conceptually is right up my alley... a card game that pulls characters and events from several different anime and puts them all together? Sounds awesome... and it would be, if only 95% of the art wasn't just lazy blurry screen-grabs taken from episodes of the anime. I still collect it though, but not as fervently as I would otherwise... I mainly just focus on the sets based on anime series that I really, really love and ignore the rest.

Some of the worst artwork I've ever seen grace a TCG has to be the Final Fantasy TCG though. You'd think that a TCG based on a big franchise like FF would have high production values, but you'd be wrong. Yet one of Square-Enix's other TCGs, Lord of Vermillion, has fantastic artwork...

EX cards existed back then too :lol:, The EX now's are basically remakes since it was EX at first then Level X and back to EX which is now. The Full-Art Cards are my favorites since the It's looks 3-D-ish and also they always put the metallic borders with sparkles in the EX or X cards which made it more badass, I remember back then if you had a EX card with either Mew, Mewtwo or Chaizard, you were a legend, Japan has some of the best card games and yeah if they created a bunch anime-based card game (Wixoss was a card game that got a anime adaption to it) and really I never knew they had a FF-card series, Vermillion I know about.

Yeah, I love the full art Pokemon cards. Very cool looking.

Wixoss seems pretty interesting. I've seen the first season of the anime, and have a small collection of the cards. No idea how the game actually plays though. I own cards from 31 different TCGs, out of which I only generally know how to play 4 of 'em. :lol:

Currently going through and putting all my rares and foils into binders... quite an undertaking. My MTG rares and foils alone filled up 3 whole 360-card binders and spilled over a little into a fourth. And I filled up a fat pack box with duplicates. After I try to fill up the rest of the 4th binder with stuff from Yu-Gi-Oh, Skygalleon, Force of Will, Lord of Vermillion, Last Chronicle, Monster Collection, Crusade, and Dragon Quest TCG I'll be moving on to Pokemon which won't be as bad as MTG but will be pretty close.

Last edited:
While not exactly testing card games there are three card based games I am a big fan of. Dominion, Grass and Boss Monster. Now that winter is on its way, I imagine we will be getting them back out again.

So are those kind of like what Fantasy Flight Games markets as "Living Card Games", where there's no randomness to what you're gonna get... the core game contains a fixed set of cards, as well as any subsequent expansions to the game?

I've played the Call of Cthulhu LCG before, it was pretty fun.

(also, shameless plug for the forum I just started: http://tcg.icyboards.net)

Last edited:
So are those kind of like what Fantasy Flight Games markets as "Living Card Games", where there's no randomness to what you're gonna get... the core game contains a fixed set of cards, as well as any subsequent expansions to the game?

I've played the Call of Cthulhu LCG before, it was pretty fun.

(also, shameless plug for the forum I just started: http://tcg.icyboards.net)
Grass is just one deck, no expansions. Its really a card game about selling weed TBH, but its quite fun. Boss Monster I believe is an indi game, not sure if a major company has picked it up, but that could become a LCG, Dominion is exactly as described, with lots of expansions available. No random booster decks or starter packs. Just the core game set and then specific expansions.

The Magic set Oath of the Gatewatch dropped yesterday... my Amazon booster box & fat pack order doesn't arrive until later today, so I went to Wal-Mart and picked up a fat pack in the mean time.

Didn't get amazing pulls... no mythics whatsoever. Certainly no Expeditions. Got a couple decent rares though, such as Thought-Knot Seer. And I did get a sexy foil bucket Island, which single-handedly recovers almost a quarter of the fat pack's cost. So it could've been worse. Never mind that if BFZ/OGW full art lands end up going for 50 cents down the road like the original Zendikar's, then you're pretty much automatically recouping the cost of the fat pack with all the lands you get since you're guaranteed to get over 80 of 'em.

Still, hoping I get lucky with my booster box and other fat pack... didn't pull any Expeditions cracking BFZ packs (2 boxes & 1 fat pack's worth), so I've gotta be due to pull one in OGW... right?

Back