The ghosting is half the problem

The--Beast
Anyone else agree .

Yep there is a lot of people online who haven't got a clue about racing and race craft but the ghosting in the game is causing a lot of indecisiveness among people.
IMO it's adding fuel to the fire , if there was no ghosting it would be more straight forward instead of trying to guess when a particular driver is going to come out of a ghost and cause another accident.

Not to mention it totally looks pants!

There are some negatives, but i think it is mostly a positive aspect to online racing.
I particularly like when somebody overcooks some of the hairpins they will 'ghost' before slamming through the pack trying to turn the corner.
However i did experience yesterday, someone had been bumped off the track and had spun back on stopping right across the track on the racing line.... no i could have almost come to a complete stop drove around him and continued on at a much decelerated rate (was a narrow part of Fuji), or as i did decide i could then go through him keeping the racing line and my overall speed.
Which was fine until just before i went through he was no longer a ghost, damn.
Now look at it from his view, he has been knocked of the track spins, gains control but is on the track, as he starts to move off some other d***head (thats me in his view) smashes into him causing him to again go flying out of control.

The point of my post is that i reckon the ghosting saves a lot of heartache, but can have its time when it leaves other racers indecsive and cause generally clean racers to knock others off.

You know some way to solve the penalty thing could be if someone pushed someone out into the dirt, that person would be limited to 50km/h until the victim has passed + 5 seconds or something.

It's not very lifelike, but it's as hard as I want it to be on the people that ram others. Though clear distinction between a push, and a touch, where the "victim" runs off course later in the turn because he's made a mistake or something.

This kind of hard punishing should then only be used for these pushes that result in sand pit action.

I think something like that would make people care where they go.

Broncos: Or some kind of proximity sensor together with speed calculations could let that person be a ghost for 1 more second. I think that would be better, and it's easy to do too

Unfortunately in these online events where no one has any control over the room your always going to get bad drivers ruining someone's day.
The more ghosting and complicated penalty systems you put in place the more unrealistic the experience becomes.

People might aswell go and do time trial as that's more or less the same thing as driving through other drivers.

Racing is racing and whilst there is ghosting on the track people will never learn to hang back be patient and develope good racing etiquette.

Maybe the hope for me is that when/if we are allowed to host our own servers ghosting can be switched off.

i'm in support for the ghosting. first of all good luck getting through first corner of fuji if there was no ghosting. there would be about 5 cars in the sand trap. a lot of the time i try to drive around ghosts anyway but theres some situations where the only way past is through them. would you rather have to come to a complete stop just about because of the car in the way? i just take my chances. its only been twice in around 30 races where ghosting has ended up giving me a penalty instead.

Although I completely AGREE with the 'Ghosting' of transgressing drivers........I find that when you are taking a corner (Say No 1 @ Fuji) and taking it completely clean.......
To have the 'Ghost' of another one or two cars passing, literally, right before your eyes. Only to get a 1.2 second penalty (estimated! ) or less because they would only gain that much if the collision hadn't happened, only for them to gain traction just in time to stay ahead of you, is galling!

There is no way of determining "Intent" in an AI situation on an on-line game! So PD have implemented what would be a fair penalty system, IF, and I do say IF? All players, play by the same rules!
And that will only happen when private forums appear....!
Un-fortunately, there will be NO way of implementing this UNTIL private forums and races are allowed/implemented/provided by PD/Sony. So we are stuck with it how it is until they can either work out the kinks, or find it financially viable to make the changes required, for us to do it how we would like to.
Ce' La Vite!

Neil

but also, when someone is facing the wrong way on a straight or stopped dead u should go right through them, not smash into them and stop too...

also, maybe if they had braking zones, and in those if a car is going to make contact with the car in front at say, 10kmph or whatever is reasonable, the car behind ghosts right through the car in the lead, making car 2 overshoot and not impeding car 1 whilst it goes about its way...

and when u nudge cars they shouldnt jump like 20ft off to the gravel trap either!

Back