The graphical jump from GT1/2 to GT3 was insane! A video comparison between GT1 and GT3.

• Thread starter Alex p.
  • 3 comments
Germany
Hanover/Germany
alexpkas
So yeah, back then computer chip power was progressing MUCH faster, than today. And it made itself very apparant. One of the biggest examples of this is the graphical evolution/difference between the PSX and PS2 GT games. In todays world (counted from today), you would certainly need to wait 15-20 years for such a gap in graphical quality, maybe even longer. The jump to me was/is just really hard to believe. What do you think?

As I recently found out, that GT1 also had a 60fps version, I thought it would be fun to make a comparison between it (and the normal mode) and GT3. So here goes:

Little bonus: comparison between wet and dry SSR5:

Last edited:
Gran Turismo 3 was a game ahead of its time in many ways, graphics being the most obvious. I remember the rallying in particular being one of the graphical highlights, the level of detail and realism in the dirt that was kicked up by the car was just out of this world back in 01-02.

Gran Turismo 3 was a game ahead of its time in many ways, graphics being the most obvious. I remember the rallying in particular being one of the graphical highlights, the level of detail and realism in the dirt that was kicked up by the car was just out of this world back in 01-02.

Complete agree here. For the kicked-up dirt they actually used a rather "cheap" trick of multiple walls or layers of dirt, so it looked thick. If I remember correctly though, they mixed this with real time particle simulation, which was absolutely unheared of back then!

I remember looking through every magazine feauturing GT3 pics, and being amazed, that the game kept looking better every time (I even made a thread here on that topic). Then, after getting the game, it still surprised me how good it could look running on my TV. Great memories...

Back