• Thread starter Dennisch
  • 6 comments

Dennisch

Humongous member
Premium
Netherlands
Hilversum
Dennisch
As energy prices in Europe are reaching ridiculous numbers, we could all benefit from tips to save as much as possible, before anyone goes bankrupt.

So, share your tips.

I'll start. Look at the energy consumption of your house when you're not using anything. A TV, amplifier or PC in standy mode will still use energy, and with current prices that can seriously add up. I did a round through the house and saved 45 watts of usage that I wasn't actually using. The only things I have permanently on are my fridge, and the central Extraction fan. All else is off and I'm down to 10 watts. That's a yearly savings of 250 euro, currently. It will go up with the current Russian shenanigans.

Next, check your doors and windows for gaps. Strips are easily placed and cheap. To close it up even more, thick curtains will certainly help, and those can be found cheap too.

Short showers. 5 minutes is enough. Don't brush your teeth standing in the shower, do it afterwards.

Let as much sunshine in as possible.

And now you guys!

As energy prices in Europe are reaching ridiculous numbers, we could all benefit from tips to save as much as possible, before anyone goes bankrupt.

So, share your tips.

I'll start. Look at the energy consumption of your house when you're not using anything. A TV, amplifier or PC in standy mode will still use energy, and with current prices that can seriously add up. I did a round through the house and saved 45 watts of usage that I wasn't actually using. The only things I have permanently on are my fridge, and the central Extraction fan. All else is off and I'm down to 10 watts. That's a yearly savings of 250 euro, currently. It will go up with the current Russian shenanigans.

Next, check your doors and windows for gaps. Strips are easily placed and cheap. To close it up even more, thick curtains will certainly help, and those can be found cheap too.

Short showers. 5 minutes is enough. Don't brush your teeth standing in the shower, do it afterwards.

Let as much sunshine in as possible.

And now you guys!
Turn off faucet while brushing teeth. In general, if you aren't actively using the sink for a specific purpose, you shouldn't be running any water.

Turn off faucet while brushing teeth. In general, if you aren't actively using the sink for a specific purpose, you shouldn't be running any water.
That, and start using cold water to wash your hands.

If you brush your teeth before showering use hot water that way the water will be hot in bathroom and you won't need to waste water waiting on shower to get warm.
Clean them coils on the fridge so it cools better.

Use LED or other energy efficient bulbs in frequently used areas (not necessarily needed in a closet where you can be in and out in <5 minutes).

Bundle up and drop the thermostat down for heating and drop it down some more over night or when you are not at home. Programmable thermostats help.

Seal up any drafty areas where heat can escape. My first fall/winter in this house I went around with a infrared thermometer and looked for drafty spots. Biggest heat-loss spots where the attic access, electrical outlets, and sink drain pipes that are on exterior walls. All were cheap and easy to seal up, and saved quite a bit on the heating bill. I also keep the thermostat at a lower, but still comfortable setting.

I replaced most of the light bulbs in the house with LED's, but it didn't seem to make much of a difference. I still turn off lights not in use.

Water, I don't care much about saving. The village that handles the water bills me for the first 1000 gallons anyway no matter what. I live alone, so even with stuff like the water-wasting "high-efficiency" washing machine, and yanking the restrictor-plate on the shower head, I rarely exceed that first 1000 gallons.

Last edited:
Back