• Thread starter Eggstor
  • 24 comments

Eggstor

Boring as B-Spec Bob
Premium
United States
Wisconsin
GTP_Eggstor
Author's note - The significance of July 15, Year 3 is that it is the earliest one can complete GT4 with all gold licenses. It is the hardest of the three possible ways to get into the 1st of June Society, started by Famine and named because June 1, Year 3 is the earliest one can complete GT4 with driving every mile. Updates will be below.

Almost 3 years after Eggstor Racing suspended operations after the 2007 Super Speedway 150 due to the downturn in the economy, I decided to start it back up after hearing new hardware and new locations would finally be coming to the GT Racing League. In order to be prepared for the next generation, I decided to resume my quest for the Solid Gold version of the 1st of June Society.

However, the directors informed me that because I was gone for so long, I would have to start all over, working my way up from the bottom rung with just the $10,000 I had in my pocket, only moving up after completing every race at the lower level I could. They also said I couldn't hire any relief drivers, sell any cars, or visit the wing or wheel shops.

I pulled into the Mega Mall Car Lot on April 2, wondering what I could get for that $10,000. With an absolute limit of 32 cars I could purchase, and far fewer that would be competitive in specialized races available, it would be a hard choice to get the right starter car.

Fortunately, I still had the race notes from my aborted quest, so I knew which cars I had to avoid. Still, with the cheapest new car that I didn't have to avoid, the 2003 Nissan Micra, $950 beyond my budget, I was shunted off to the used car lots.

I really wanted to get the 1989 Mazda Miata because I knew that it had potential, and that it would be useful for several specialized races, including a pair where only Miatas were allowed and another where I needed a 1980s-vintage Japanese car, but I looked back through the notes and realized that it would cost too much to get it competitive.

I had to get money fast, and the fastest way to get money without so much as a B license was to win the 1000 Miles! series of races and hope the 1966 AC Cars 427 S/C didn't show up to dominate. That narrowed my choices down to cars that could win a series that offered a car made before 1971 as the prize. Since there were several other possible cars that can top 125 mph in that race, I knew I had to find something that would win the almost-uncontrollable 1964 Ginetta G4 in the Lightweight K-Car Cup. Since I am on a strict 32-car purchase diet, and knew I needed a Suzuki for its own K-car series, I was left looking at the two Suzuki Cappuccinos on the lot. In my first first go-around, I bought the 1995 Cappuccino, which proved to be easy to win with. This time, I decided to live dangerously, and picked up the Satellite Silver Metallic 1991 Suzuki Capuccino (EA11R), with 45,901.6 miles on the odometer, for $5,102.

When the Suzuki arrived at the garage on April 3, I was appalled at its condition. It looked like it lost a war with the bugs, and the oil was muddy. If Mega Mall wasn't the only car dealer in town, I wouldn't shop there for a used car again. The only good news is they gave me a free set of S2 tires, and a voucher good for an unlimited number of them.

I had Tony put the secret Slick Wax on the car for $50, and I put some racing oil in the engine for another $50. When that was done, the dynamometer said the car had 62 horsepower and 63 ft-lb of torque. It's not a lot, but its competition will be equally underpowered for now.

I loaded the Suzuki into the hypersonic transporter and jetted off to the Driving Park complex for the first race in the Lightweight K-Car Cup, 4 laps at the Motorland track. The lineup, for 44 A-spec points, was:

1998 Suzuki Wagon R RR (or, as I call it, the Piratewagon)
1995 Suzuki Cappuccino (EA21R - the successor to my car)
2002 Suzuki Kei Works
1992 Honda Beat Version F
2002 Daihatsu Copen Active Top
1991 Suzuki Cappuccino (EA11R - me)

When I left the pits for the parade lap, I realized I forgot to put the gearshift in the car, so I was left at the mercy of the not-so-smart auto-shifter. When the green flag flew, I was surprised at how much lean and oversteer there was in the car. Still, I blasted past the Kei Works coming out of the first 180-degree right-hander and set up to outbrake both the Beat and the Copen into the right-handed hairpin. I overdrove the corner, but still got past the Beat, which gave me a couple nudges as we exited. I drove in deep into the second half of the left-handed hairpin to get by the Copen, and finished the first lap in 3rd with a time of 0:59.642, 1.335 seconds behind the Piratemobile.

I closed on the other Cappuccino as we approached the right-handed hairpin on lap 2, and I repeated the hard dive in, this time not overdriving the corner, to beat him out. I used the deep-drive-in technique on the Piratemobile in the left-handed hairpin, and out-accelerated him into the esses. Lap 2 ended in 0:55.299, with a 1.499-second lead on the Piratemobile.

The last two laps were uneventful if a bit slow, at least for me. Lap 3 was done in 0:56.934 (with a 2.362-second lead over the Piratemobile), and lap 4 was done in 0:56.693. The other Cappuccino and the Copen had a knock-down, drag-out fight for 3rd on the lap 3, but the Cappuccino held the the prefered line and closed on the Piratewagon a couple of times on lap 4. However, the Piratewagon held on for 2nd.
The final results were:

Me - 3:48.568
Piratewagon - 3:51.461
1995 Cappuccino - 3:51.598
Copen - 3:52.530
Beat - 3:53.207
Kei Works - 3:54.590

I took my $2,000 for winning and made it back to the shop to install a manual transmission. One event down, 635 to go.

Last edited:
Round 2 of the Lightweight K-Car Cup was 3 laps at Tsukuba. Now that I had the transmission sorted out, I headed to the track to find a few familiar cars and some new ones. This time, the lineup was, for 49 A-spec points:

1998 Suzuki Wagon R RR (how does that Pirate always get the pole?)
1997 Daihatsu Mira TR-XX Avanzato R
1992 Mazda Autozam AZ-1
2002 Suzuki Kei Works
1995 Suzuki Cappuccino (EA21R)
Me

On lap 1, I dispatched the other Cappuccino in turn 3 and slipstreamed past the Kei between turns 7 and 8. Lap 1 ended in 1:27.095 with me in 4th, 1.591 seconds behind the Autozam.

On lap 2, I used the outside line to get past the Piratemobile coming out of turn 1 and the Mira coming out of turn 3. Even though I caught the Autozam off of turn 8 and pulled on the inside coming to the start/finish line, I couldn't quite complete the pass before the lap ended in 1:21.071, 0.060 seconds behind.

I was, however, perfectly set up to outbrake the Autozam into turn 1 on the last lap, which I proceeded to do. Even though he made a valiant effort to get back to the front between there and turn 3, his timidness cost him any chance of catching back up. The last lap was completed in 1:20.023.

The final results were:
Me - 4:08.189
Autozam - 4:10.791
Mira - 4:11.709
1995 Cappuccino - 4:15.244
Piratemobile - 4:17.059
Kei Works - 4:18.182

Once again, I added $2,000 to the bank account, and moved one step closer to getting the Ginetta.

April 5 found me headed back to the Driving Park motorplex, this time for a 7-lap race on the Beginner Course. There was no Piratewagon this time, so the lineup for 30 A-spec points was:

2002 Suzuki Alto Lapin Turbo
2002 Daihatsu Move Custom RS Limited
2002 Daihatsu Copen Active Top
1991 Honda Beat
1997 Daihatsu Mira TR-XX Avanzato R
Me

The biggest challenge of this race was passing. I blasted past the Mira on the outside between turns 2 and 3 (the chicane) on lap 1, but that was the only car I passed on that lap of 0:36.875, which left me in 5th, 2.285 seconds behind the Alto Lapin.

I almost overdrove turn 1 on lap 2 trying to pass the Beat on the outside, but kept the momentum to get on the inside of the Copen in the middle of the chicane. I thundered past the Move just before the start/finish line to finish the lap in 2nd in 0:32.257, 0.908 seconds behind the Alto Lapin.

On lap 3, I used the rumble strips on the inside of turns 4 and 5 to take the lead, and turned a 0:32.852 lap, 1.134 seconds ahead of the Alto Lapin. From there, I stretched it out, with laps of 0:31.488 (up 3.431 seconds), 0:31.560 (up 5.980 seconds), 0:31.441 (up 8.429 seconds) and 0:31.735 (up 10.021 seconds). The final results:

Me - 3:47.208
Alto Lapin - 3:57.229
Move - 3:58.346
Beat - 3:58.697
Mira - 3:59.794
Copen - 4:00.238

It took an extra day to get back to the shop with the Ginetta G4 prize in Lagoon Blue, but I have $10,798 in the bank ($10,698 after the trip to Tony's and $6,098 after getting the S1 tires I'll need in Europe), 11.7 miles of my own on the Cappuccino, 123 A-spec points on the board, and 0.5% of the quest completed. Next stop - Germany.

Wonderful start Eggstor!

You know I'm going to read with rapt interest your progress to July 15th!

Nice idea of laying the ground-work for a 1000 mile race so early in your career.👍 After nearly 800 days, I'm about to take on this race series myself!

Its an interesting anomaly that the game lets us race in a non-beginner race without a license. Maybe you didn't need a racing license back in the 60's? Maybe the race stewards got paid to look the other way?

Will you work on the B license once you have exhausted all of the race series that do not require a license?

Eggstor
*snip* I loaded the Suzuki into the hypersonic transporter and jetted off to the Driving Park complex for the first race in the Lightweight K-Car Cup.....

Nice!

Where did you acquire your hypersonic transport? The Tuner Village?

Enjoy the racing,
GTsail

Last edited:
Wonderful start Eggstor!

You know I'm going to read with rapt interest your progress to July 15th!

Nice idea of laying the ground-work for a 1000 mile race so early in your career.👍 After nearly 800 days, I'm about to take on this race series myself!

Its an interesting anomaly that the game lets us race in a non-beginner race without a license. Maybe you didn't need a racing license back in the 60's? Maybe the race stewards got paid to look the other way?

Will you work on the B license once you have exhausted all of the race series that do not require a license?

Enjoy the racing,
GTsail
That's what I'm thinking. Racing was a bit more rough-and-tumble back then, as evidenced by my not-so-great driving skills with the Ginetta.

Somewhere in the 1st of June thread (I think), someone suggested the idea of doing the 1000 Miles race early to get the cash. As long as you don't draw the 427 S/C, it is entirely doable with the Ginetta (almost a third through the Nurburgring race as I type, and even after a few off-track excursions and a couple laps simply loafing behind the Mercedes 300 SL to see when it pits, I'm out front).

There's a few series where a prize car that is needed is not available in any series of that license class, such as Camaro Meeting. While it is a B License series, the only Camaro that is a prize car (the LM Race Car) is the prize car of Stars and Stripes, an IB License series. Beyond that, and a couple series where the early prize cars that are eligible simply can't win, I'll be going right down the line, doing the open races, then getting the B License, then doing the B License ones, all the way to the S License ones at the end. Some of those will be ridiculous 1-point races (the aforementioned Camaro Meeting being one of them), but I'll try to keep the A-spec points respectable.

As for the hypersonic transport, I don't know exactly where it came from, but it sure is useful in getting from track to track. If only it would fit two cars at once,....

Last edited:
1000 Miles! - FAILURE!

Let's see if I can shorten up the notes enough to put an entire series in one post.

Race 1 - Nurburgring Nordschliefe

The first stop of the 1000 Miles! series is Nurburgring Nordschleife, for 25 laps around the grand old track. I lucked out as there is no AC Cars 427 S/C on the grid. The challenge for the 1954 Mercedes 300 SL Coupe, the 1963 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale, the 1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA 1600 and me will be to not punt the 1965 Fiat 500F and the 1963 Nissan Skyline 1500Deluxe (S50D-1).

The question is whether I should qualify to get the backmarkers to the back or not. Since this is an almost-13-mile track, I decided to pass. That leaves the lineup, for 10 A-spec points, as:

1965 Fiat 500F
1963 Nissan Skyline 1500Deluxe (S50D-1)
1963 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale
1954 Mercedes 300 SL Coupe
1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA 1600
Me

Talk about your uncontrollability, especially on these S1 tires I put on because of the distance - I found grass at Hatzenbach on lap 1 as the G4 doesn't want to turn at first, and then when it turns, it wants to keep turning until the back end is out front. I pass the 500F for the first time in Quiddelbacher Hohe, and get by both the Skyline and the 1963 Giulia in Kottenborn. I get past the 1965 Giulia at Ex-Muhle. The bumps in Pflanzgarten really upset the car, but I barely keep the 300 SL in sight as I head off to Dottinger Hohe. Lap 1 went in the books as a 9:37.033 lap, 6.104 seconds behind the SL 300, with the back tires starting to warm up.

On lap 2, the SL 300 stretched out his lead to over 7 seconds before something happened to him between Klostertal and Hohe Acht. Unfortunately, when my crew told me I was less than 5 seconds back, I lost concentration and almost wiped out at Wippermann. After catching sight of the SL 300 again at Schalbenschwanz, I took the Kleine Karrussell a bit too high and jumped out of the banking early. Still, I kept sight of the SL 300 up until he ran away at Antoniusbuche. The 9:10.333 lap left me 4.642 seconds behind, with the back tires fully-green, and the front tires starting to warm up.

On lap 3, I was able to catch up to the 300 SL at Klosteral as my front tires finally warmed up. Pflanzgarten caught up with me again as I kissed the guardrail. Still, I was close enough to draft between Dottinger Hohe and Antoniusbuche. A lap of 9:06.524 left me 1.209 seconds back.

I decided to hang back to see the 300 SL's pit strategy, even as he had problems coming out of Flugplatz. Disaster struck at Drei-Fach Rechts on lap 4, as I hit hard into the inside berm (or at least it would have been disastrous if damage were possible). The 300 SL, however, returned the favor with another disastrous Klosterol-Hohe Acht run, which allowed me to catch back up. The crew yelled that the 500F was taking his good-natured time on the straight between Dottinger Hohe and Antoniusbuche, so I hung back a bit to make sure the 300 SL got by cleanly. It didn't quite happen as I saw a bunch of smoke ahead as German engineering met Italian slow cooking about 3/4ths of the way down. Lap 4 ended at the 9:16.783 mark, with me 1.429 seconds behind, and the 500F a lap down.

The replay recorder ended as the 300 SL and I entered the Karussel on lap 5, about 42:38 in. Otherwise, it was an uneventful 9:14.157 lap, with me 1.370 seconds back.

On lap 6, I braked way late (or the 300 SL braked way early) going into Aremburg, and we were unintentionally side-by-side. Another fit of a loss of concentration found me in the grass at Kallenhard (side note; this will be the last race of the night). Meanwhile, the 300 SL is also all over the track, but I don't think that's from a lack of concentration. Yep; he's very loose and slow off the corners, as he flies off the track at Wippermann. I've seen enough of it to know all I have to do is hang on until lap 7 to make it a 3-stop race for me, and my tires are still green all the way around. Still, I can't safely pass until he hits the pits, making for a slow 9:39.931 lap, just over 20 seconds ahead of the 300 SL as he rejoins the race.

As I unpaused after recording the lap time, the steering wheel display popped up, and distracted me enough to put me back on the grass at Hocheichen. Turned a 9:11.307 lap, lead 34.090 seconds.

Late-night driving is not conducive to good driving. On lap 8, I hooked the inside curb in Hatzenbach and smacked the wall. Brakes and back tires are fading; scared some kitty litter at Aremburg. Lap the Skyline neat-as-can-be in Klosteral, and the 500F a second time just short of Antoniusbuche. Head in for some more S1 tires and fuel (25 units' worth). I'm glad the race organizers are picking up the tab; things could get very expensive. Exit the pits with a 9:29.571 lap.as the 500F temporarily gets one of its laps back and the 300 SL closes to 19.342 seconds.

That moment of triumph for the 500F didn't last long; he's 2 laps down again before we reach Hocheichen on lap 9. Quiddelbacher Hohe is as good a place as any to pause for the night. I picked up right where I left off last night in the middle of lap 9, with an ugly lift-throttle oversteer spin at Schwedenkreuz that felt a lot like an early Porsche 911 Turbo. I still put in a 9:24.154 lap to stay 9.403 seconds ahead of the 300 SL.

I finally started hitting my marks on lap 10, which was lean, clean and green at 9:08.444 (up 11.751 seconds). Got just a little antsy on lap 11, and just missed the best lap so far with a 9:06.662 (up 18.409 seconds).

The bumps at Pflanzgarten got me again on lap 12 to ruin what promised to be a fast lap. When am I going to learn this slightly-overgrown go-kart hates bumps? At least I lapped the 500F again and turned a 9:13 lap (didn't pause in time to catch the fractions). Fortunately, the 300 SL pitted again, putting him 1:01 back.

Turned another 9:13 lap on lap 13 as I started to save the tires to make this a 2-stop race, with the SL 300 now 1:11 back.

On lap 14, I lapped the 1963 Giullia in Tiergarten on the way to another 9:13 lap. The effects of fresh tires on the SL 300 and the starting-to-wear tires on my car left him 1:08 back.

I knew I should've waited until after Kottelborn to lap the Skyline again on lap 15 - I got a bad entrance into Schwedenkreuz with predictable results. I finally put him down 2 laps for good in Fuchsrohre. The rear tires turned to lime as I put down a 9:15 lap, with the SL 300 1:06 back after receiving some drafting help on the last straight.

Blasted by the 500F (again) at Klosteral on lap 16. What is that, 4 times now? Who let this guy into the race? Despite the rear tires going to yellow, I decide to stay out to do the necessary 9-lap run, and turn a 9:11 lap. The 500F served as a rolling roadblock on the last straight for the SL 300, who is now 1:11 behind.

I came in to the pits for the last time on lap 17, which would have been one of my faster laps had I not pitted. The crew convicned me to not take fuel this time to see if the lower weight would improve the handling. 4 fresh tires later, I was out of the pits to complete a 9:23 lap.

The good news; there's less oversteer. The bad; it's even harder to get the car to turn. Some minor lawn-mowing in Tiergarten left me with a 9:20 lap on lap 18.

Dare I think about lapping the 1965 Giulia? Lap 19 found him less than 2 minutes ahead of being lapped after pitting on what was for him lap 16. Speaking of pitting, the SL 300 did so again to start his 19th lap 1:35 behind. Getting whipped into the wall at Wippermann (again) didn't help. A 9:11 lap for a 1:47 lead over the SL 300 did.

This is a broken record - passed the 500F a fifth time comiing out of Muttkurve on lap 20. What the heck does Pflanzgarten mean, lap-killing bumps? Dreams of lapping the 1965 Giulia begin to fade as I put down a 9:13 lap.

On lap 21, a trip through the grass as I took Schwedenkreuz too wide led into a wall bounce headed into the chicane before Adenaur Forst, and a trip into the kitty litter at the start of Pflanzgarten. Still, I see the 1965 Giulia and the Skyline on the last straight; guess the Skyline held up the faster Italian for quite a while. The Skyline went a third lap down at Antoniusbuche on the last leg of a 9:14 lap.

As the crew threatens mutiny on lap 22, I catch the 1965 Giulia at Breidscheid. I shoot back that B-Spec Bob would have stuffed it into the wall 100 times and a couple at Lauda Linkskinck as I put the Italian a lap down there. I hear them bet I can't complete the last 4 laps cleanly. Though I'm a gambling man, or perhaps because I am one, I decline to get in on the action. It merely encourages me to set a new fast time of 9:06.101.

I resisted the urge to shout, "Zwei!" as I finished lap 23 in 9:05.364 because I knew I had 2 more laps to go and probably 2 cars to lap again. I slowed at the end of Fuchsrohre to make sure I got by the 500F cleanly for a sixth time, and when I took the white flag with a 9:07 lap, I couldn't help myself - DREI!

I flew over Flugplatz, slid through Aremburg, and weaved through Adenaur Forst. Back in the pack, the 300 SL decided to take the white flag in the pits. I went on past Breidscheid and Bergwerk, rode the Karussel one more time, and whipped past Wippermann, where the back end really stepped out. The crew "helpfully" told me the 1963 Giulia was having some problems in the Kleiner-Karussel while I was bouncing through Pflanzgarten. I paid them no mind because I knew I couldn't catch him one more time. As I entered the Kleiner-Karrussel, they told me I should be able to see him on the last straight in one last attempt to get me off-track, and it almost worked. As I crossed the line at 9:05.579, the cheers thundered down.

I completed the race in just over 3 hours, 51 minutes. The 300 SL was the only car on the same lap, and he was about 3:20 behind. The two Giulias were both a lap down, with the 1965 taking point. The Skyline finished 3 laps down, and the 500F finished 6 laps down.

The points standings are:

Me - 10
300 SL - 6
1965 Giulia - 4
1963 Giulia - 3
Skyline - 2
500F - 1

Next stop - Paris. I hope the crew members that bet against me brought their Diners' Club cards.

Race 2 - Opera Paris

After a celebratory beer-and-brat bash, the merry band of vintage racers found themselves in Paris for 95 laps around the Opera House. The lineup got shuffled a bit in the draw because we didn't feel like qualifying, but nobody knew how the rolling roadbl...er, 500F drew the pole again. Behind him, things more-or-less made sense, as the 300 SL, the 1965 Giulia, the 1963 Giulia and the Skyline lined up in their order of ranking. Typical of my luck, I drew the short straw. Oh well; as long as the cobblestones aren't too rough, my car's light weight ought to be enough of an advantage. The race stewards agree, as they're only going to give me 10 A-spec points if I win.

Even before the start, I weaved past the Skyline. Headed off of Rue di Rivoli, I overdrove while trying to pass the 1963 Giulia, so he hung on to 5th going into the Place Vendome chicane. Both the Giulias got scared near the end of Rue de la Paix, so I took advantage and whipped by as we saw the Opera House for the first time. Surprisingly, the 500F hung onto the lead until after the second checkpoint on Boulevard de la Madeleine, when the 300 SL and I both got by. Lap 1 went by in 1:58.898, with me hounding the 300 SL.

I thought better of sticking my nose in front of the 300 SL to start the second lap. If I wanted to further wreck my paint job, I could have probably pulled right alongside him, though. He still has a major power advantage he used to full effect on the Boulevard. Side note - I'm going to have to fire whoever set up the brakes; I almost wrecked at the end of Rue Royale because the G4 just wouldn't slow down. However, I took advantage of the 300 SL's hesitation in the last 180 to take the lead with a 1:49.923 lap.

I had a mirror full of Mercedes going into the Place Vendome chicane after overdriving turn 3, but I was smoother than he was through there. The oversteer returned coming onto Rue Royale, but I was ready for it. What I wasn't quite ready for was a nasty pothole in turn 8 - whoever is in charge of roads in Paris needs to be fired. A lap in the 1:50 range left the Mercedes in the dust. I thought to myself, "As long as I don't do anything really stupid like trying to knock walls down or pitting every 10 laps, I should have this one in the bag."

I forgot, however, the 300 SL's tires warm up faster than mine, and he can blast down the Boulevard faster than I can. The good news for me is he isn't all that aggressive, so laps in the 1:50 range are good enough for now. The back tires fully-warm up on lap 5, which with the still semi-cold tires, gave me a 1:49.058 lap to mark a new low time. Even better, I'm starting to put some more daylight between the 300 SL and myself.

As the front tires warmed up enough to allow me to simply lift on the bender between the Boulevard and Rue Royale, I settled into a routine of lap times around 1:47.5, which proved to be about a second faster than the 300 SL.

The routine was slightly interrupted as I lapped the 500F at the end of the Boulevard on lap 9, which disrupted my preferred line into Rue Royale. No matter; the 300 SL had a harder time because he caught him at the end of Rue Royale and had a heck of a time getting by in the tight turns of Place de la Concorde.

I'm shocked when my crew tells me I turned a 1:46.610 lap on lap 10 and mess up the first couple turns. I yell at them to not tell me the time before I'm on Rue di Rivoli. Still, I lap the Skyline for the first time on the Boulevard on lap 11.

On lap 14, I had my first "incident" after hitting a bump wrong in turn 6 and careening down Rue Royale. That cost me about 2 seconds, but my lead over the 300 SL remained at a bit over 14 seconds.

On lap 16, I lapped everybody's "favorite" roadblock a second time at the same place I did the first time. I reminded myself to remain consistent as the average lap time fell below 1:47.

I found the 1963 Giulia in my windshield headed into Place de la Concorde on lap 17, and put him a lap down as he didn't realize he can stand on the gas coming out of the last 180 all the way to the start/finish line.

The heavy weight of the 300 SL caught up to him as he pitted at the end of his 18th lap. He came back onto the track 43 seconds down. I was starting to think about not taking any fuel as my digital gas gauge still has 9 bars showing. Right about then, I find myself airborne and headed into the wall on Rue Royale. The crew said, "See what thinking gets you, Egg? Let us handle the pit strategy."

The Skyline was very discourteous as I lapped him a second time on lap 21 at the Opera House. He first gave me the inside going into the hairpin, then decided to try and bodyslam me. Still, I set a new best time of 1:46.296, and this time the crew waited until I'm on a straight to tell me. They also mentioned the SL 300 is now a half-lap back.

I'm surprised when I see the 500F become the next car to pit on what is his 19th lap, which put him a third lap down. I wondered what tires he was using, because he wasn't going fast enough to wear them out. The crew started taking bets on how many laps he'll be down at the end, with the over/under being 14. I told them to put me down for the over.

The 1963 Giulia was the next to pit road on his 21st lap. Meanwhile, my back tires were starting to turn lime while I work my 23rd lap, with 8 bars showing on the gas gauge. That didn't stop me from setting another low time of 1:46.149 on lap 24.

The 1965 Giulia hit the pits on his 24th lap just ahead of me, so I put him a lap down as well. The only two who had not come down yet were the Skyline, who was working his 24th lap, and me, working my 26th lap. The crew told me they'd like to see if I can wait until lap 32 to come down to make it a 2-stop race just before the Skyline decided 24 laps is enough on his set of tires. The G4 responded by kissing the left wall in Rue Royale, so I told them I'm coming this time.

We rolled the dice and decided to leave the fuel cans on the far side of the wall. Unusual for us, our pit stall was beyond the start/finish line, so lap 27 began before the crew could put fresh tires on. After an admonishment from the crew to let the tires warm up before really racing, I came out barely ahead of the 1965 Giulia. I didn't feel like letting him back on the lead lap, so I threw caution to the wind and decided the best way to warm up the tires was to run hard. When he didn't catch up by the time I got past the Opera House, I knew he would remain a lap down until I caught him again. Back in the pack, the 300 SL remained 43 seconds down in second.

On lap 29, I got some serious air in the chicane past the start/finish line and gave the crew a real loud show. Still, I put the Skyline a third lap down just before the start/finish line, followed by a 4th lapping of the 500F at the Place Vendome chicane on lap 30. I'm starting to regret taking that over.

Still, I settled back into the sub-1:47 lap routine as the tires warmed up. At the end of Lap 33, I lapped the 1963 Giulia a second time. On lap 34, I broke the 1:46 barrier with a 1:45.726, but followed that up with a shave of the walls in the back half of the Place Vendome chicane the next lap. How did I forget I was driving a right-hand-drive car?

The 500F went a 5th lap down on lap 36 in Rue Royale in the midst of another low lap (1:45.684). Meanwhile, the 300 SL pitted for a second time on his lap 36, and came out about 1:20 behind me. Meanwhile, I outbraked the Skyline coming out of Rue Royale to put him a 4th lap down on lap 38, and lowered the lap time to 1:45.595.

I marginally improved on that low time on lap 41, with a 1:45.584. The crew told me I should be able to see the 300 SL shortly, but I remembered that he already pitted twice, and I'd be making my second stop in 10 laps.

I saw the 500F again first at the end of lap 42, and after a 1:45.426 lap for another low time, I caught the wildly-fishtailing backmarker at a bad spot - the entrance to Rue de Rivoli, which slowed me down as I had to wait for him to pick a lane so I could put him 6 laps down.

I hung onto the back bumper of the 300 SL throughout lap 45, watching helplessly for a bit as he pulled away on the Boulevard. My better cornering ability, and his continued ineptness in the last 180-degree left-hander, allowed me to put him a lap down at least temporarily, as well as the pitting 1963 Giulia for a third time.

The 300 SL was a sore lapee, using his speed to catch me on Rue de Rivoli and his bumper to punt me in turn 3 on the following lap. I repeat the previous lap, this time lapping the 500F for a 7th time as he left pit road while putting the 300 SL a lap down again. The Fiat was helpful in allowing me to keep enough daylight to get off of Rue de Rivoli a lap ahead of the 300 SL.

I had a bit of a problem getting by the Skyline at the start of lap 48 because of the twists just past the start/finish line. I finally get him a 5th lap down in the Place Vendome chicane.

Halfway through, I had the field covered, with the 300 SL a lap down, the 1965 Giulia in sight and in danger of being 2 laps down, the 1963 Giulia 3 laps down, the Skyline 5 laps down, and the 500F 7 laps down. The gas was holding up very well, with 7 bars showing on the gauge.

On lap 49, I put the 1965 Giulia a second lap down on the Boulevard, but the bumps on the Boulevard/Rue Royale bender got me again. Still, I hung on to keep him behind me.

I received a bit of good news as I completed lap 50 - the 1965 Giulia hit the pits for a second time on his lap 48, so the only car that would likely get a lap back when I pit on lap 52 is the 300 SL, who was about a lap and 8 seconds back.

As predicted, the 300 SL got his lap back when I pitted on lap 52 for tires (the fuel was still good, with over half a tank remaining), but I came out with only about 10 seconds separating me from a fully-lapped field.

On lap 55, I put the 500F 8 laps down coming onto the Boulevard. Visions of wine and cheese from the crew started dancing in my head. Meanwhile, the 300 SL pitted for the 3rd time on his 54th lap, putting him a lap down again.

Lap 57 saw the Skyline go 6 laps down at the Opera House hairpin. On lap 58, I broke the 1:45 barrier for the first time, with a 1:44.303 lap.

The familiar routine of sub-1:47 laps continued, with the 500F going 9 laps down on lap 61, the 1963 Giulia going 3 laps down on lap 63, and the Skyline going 7 laps down on lap 65.

The 500F didn't want to go 10 laps down on lap 67, but his attempt to pinch me into the left wall on Rue de la Paix failed. Did the crew tell him about the bet?

The 1965 Giulia went 3 laps down on lap 70, and after yet another pit stop for him, I put the 500F 11 laps down on lap 71. 4 more laps down, and I'm enjoying some wine and cheese. The only question is whether I can do it in less than 25 laps.

The 1963 Giulia went 4 laps down on lap 73, and the Skyline went 8 laps down on lap 74. Lap 75 saw the best lap yet at 1:44.294, with me catching a glimpse of the 300 SL again.

On lap 76, I briefly passed the 300 SL to put him 2 laps down, but because I saw him coming hard down Rue de Rivoli on lap 77 and I was planning to pit on lap 78, I decided to ride behind him until I came down to pit. Still, we got by the 500F again (for the 12th time) at the end of the lap.

On lap 78, I told the crew to hurry up with the last pit of the day because I didn't want to give the lap back to the 500F, but he got it back anyway. He permanently went 12 laps down on the Boulevard on lap 79.

I got back into the sub-1:46 routine quickly. The Skyline went 9 laps down on lap 83, the 500F went 13 laps down on lap 85, and the 300 SL went 2 laps down on lap 86.

The end of lap 89 and the beginning of lap 90 saw me put both Giulias another lap down, with the 1965 car going 4 laps down on 89 and the 1963 car going 5 laps down on 90.

I was glad it was a closed course on lap 91 as I used the bus lane on Rue Royale to put the 500F 14 laps down. On the same lap, I put the Skyline 10 laps down. I realized that unless the 500F pitted again, I wasn't going to catch him one more time.

That didn't stop me from trying, as I turned a 1:43.788 lap on lap 92. On lap 94, I got the news I wanted to hear as I entered the Boulevard - the Fiat was pitting once more, and there would be no traffic between him and me once he left the pits.

As I took the white flag, he was halfway down Rue de Rivoli. I got my first sight of him as I exited the Place Vendome chicane and he was exiting Rue de la Paix. Some fancy driving got me to hailing distance down the Boulevard, and I had to slow to make sure I both cleared the 500F and got onto Rue Royale cleanly. The checkered flag merely ensured an enrichment beyond the $150,000 for the race.

The final results:

Me - 2:50:38.083
300 SL - -2 laps
1965 Giulia - -4 laps
1963 Giulia - -5 laps
Skyline - -10 laps
500F - -15 laps

The points standings after race 2:

Me - 20 points
300 SL - 12 points
1965 Giulia - 8 points
1963 Giulia - 6 points
Skyline - 4 points
500F - 2 points

Time to go to the place champions win and see if I can follow in their tire tracks.

Race 3 - Cote d'Azur

I'm not much for wine, but the cheese from the crew was very good. After I grabbed a couple of Tylenol to handle the hangover, the gang headed to Monaco for 99 laps around the toughest track Formula One races today.

The lineup was the same as it was in Paris, which wasn't exactly fun. Even though I have 490 miles on the G4, the race stewards didn't up the A-spec points any, so along with the promise of $150,000 for winning, there were only 10 A-spec points on the line.

I blasted past the Skyline climbing Beau Rivage for the first time, and outbraked the 1963 Giulia into the Casino turn. The 1965 Giulia and the 500F were dispatched in a 3-wide move in the tunnel. Lap 1 went into the books at the 2:21.136 mark, with me 4.927 seconds behind the 300 SL.

Lap 2 was completely uneventful, with a 2:09.856 time halving the 300 SL's lead to 2.493 seconds. On the next 3 laps, I could close to the bumper at the Loews hairpin, but the 300 SL's superior power and the G4's inability to turn quickly in the Nouvelle chicane allowed the Mercedes to keep the lead at a bit over 2 seconds at the start/finish line.

My rear tires finally came in at the end of lap 5, as I finally bested my previous low lap with a 2:08.641. Unfortunately, the 300 SL was still 2.160 seconds ahead, and thanks to me overdriving Sainte Devote, he extended his lead to just over 3 seconds on lap 6.

Even though the front tires came in on lap 7 to allow me to set a 2:08.121 lap, the 300 SL still extended his lead to 3.751 seconds. The crew started plotting pit strategy because the race began to take on the look of needing one to win.

At that point, things started to click. A 2:05.994 lap on lap 8 got me within 0.980 seconds of the 300 SL, but I couldn't get by. The 300 SL would pull away on the straights, and I'd close back up in the corners. We started lapping cars on lap 10. Surprisingly, the Skyline was the first victim headed into Sainte Devote, with the 500F quickly joining him a lap down on Beau Rivage.

We caught the 1963 Giulia at the start of lap 16, but it took the 300 SL until the Mirabeau corner and me until Loews to lap him. The good news is the brakes are holding up so far.

The Skyline fell another lap down at the end of lap 18. Could the 500F actually not finish last in a race? It took until the tunnel in lap 19 to put him a second lap down.

The 300 SL pulled into the pits on lap 20, giving me the lead for the first time. He came out about 21 seconds back, which means I just have to make it to lap 25 to win on pit strategy. My first lap clear of the 300 SL, lap 21, was a slightly-disappointing 2:07.485, but my lead stretched out to about 24.5 seconds as the 300 SL was still on cold tires.

Lap 23 saw me set a new low-lap of 2:05.669 and stretch my lead out to 35.530 seconds. The 500F pitted on his 22nd lap, giving 5th place to the Skyline.

The crew and I debated on whether to pit on lap 25 for a 3-stop race or attempt to stretch it out to lap 33 for a 2-stop race. We decided it would be safer to come down early for both tires and fuel. We probably could have skipped the fuel as I still had 64 units left in the tank, but better safe than sorry. I came out about 13 seconds ahead of the 300 SL.

The 500F went a third lap down at Casino on lap 28, and the Skyline followed at the same spot on lap 29. The 1965 Giulia also went a lap down on lap 29 as he pitted on his lap 28. The Skyline pitted on his lap 26 to give 5th place back to the 500F.

The 1963 Giulia went a second lap down on lap 31 while climbing Beau Rivage as my tires started coming in. When they did a lap later, I started turning laps between 2:06 and 2:07.

I shot inside the Skyline to put him 4 laps down just before the start/finish line on lap 35, and did the same to the 500F at the end of lap 36. On lap 38, I set a new low time of 2:04.574 to extend my lead over the 300 SL to 29.104 seconds, and better it on lap 39 with a 2:04.376 lap. The 300 SL pitted for the second time on his lap 40, exiting almost a full minute behind.

Laps 43 and 44 were Lap-O-Rama. On lap 43, I put the 1965 Giulia a second lap down in the tunnel, and his older cousin went down a third lap at Tabac. The following lap, the Skyline went a 5th lap down on Beau Rivage, and the 500F went a 5th lap down at La Rascasse. Only the 300 SL, 1:16.388 behind, remained on the lead lap with me.

The 500F gave up 5th again to pit on his lap 42. The next to the pits was me on lap 50 for just a new set of tires. As I left, the crew started singing "99 Bottles of Beer". With the 300 SL and me both pitting twice, my lead shrunk to 1:05.

I don't know if it was the tires or the brakes, but I completely blew the Nouvelle chicane on lap 51. I probably was a bit aggressive lapping the 500F a 6th time headed into Piscine, but I had the run. The Skyline went a 6th lap down in the tunnel on lap 54. I began to think the 500F wouldn't get out of the bottom the next time the Skyline pits, which screwed up the entrance to Nouvelle chicane again and allowed the 300 SL to close within 58 seconds.

That, however, is as close as he would get. By the end of lap 56, my tires had warmed up fully, and to celebrate, I put the 1963 Giulia down 4 laps as we approached the start/finish line. The Skyline pitted on his lap 51, but beat the 500F out of the pits.

The 500F went 7 laps down at the end of lap 60, and the Skyline followed suit on Beau Rivage the following lap. Meanwhile, the 300 SL pitted on his lap 60, but I wasn't quite close enough to put him a lap down, as he exited about 1:50 behind.

The 1965 Giulia fell a third lap behind in the tunnel on lap 63. I catch my first glimpse of the 300 SL in many laps on Beau Rivage on lap 65, and catch up by the end of lap 67. However, the same problem of actually passing him cropped up again, even when the 500F and the 1963 Giulia formed the front half of a conga line headed up Beau Rivage on lap 69. It took until the tunnel for both of us to clear them (with the 1963 Giulia down 5 laps and the 500F down 8) and because the 300 SL took my line headed in, I couldn't get alongside him. We also put the Skyline down another lap (8 total) at the end of lap 69.

I grabbed tires for the last time on lap 75, giving up a windshield full of Mercedes. Another sign could have made it on one tank of gas - I still had more than half a tank even though I last filled up on lap 25. I rejoined the race with the 300 SL 1:48 behind, losing about 19 seconds in the pit.

I lost another 8 seconds of my lead on the track because of cold tires by lap 78, when I lapped the 500F for the 9th time entering the tunnel. I did the same to the Skyline on Beau Rivage on lap 80.

Coming out of Piscine on lap 81, I heard the news I wanted to hear - the 300 SL was pitting again. The question became, was I close enough to take advantage? It was not to be; the Mercedes came out right in front of me. I used my now-warmed tires to effect coming out of Portier, pulling to the inside going into the tunnel. The 300 SL slammed into me to keep ahead after 82 laps.

I decided I had to get by on lap 83 or not get by at all. I lagged back a bit headed into Casino to get the run headed into Mirabeau. This time, the attempted block by the 300 SL came too late, and I finally put the 300 SL a lap down. I flew through Loews and out of Portier as fast as I could, hoping I could maintain the lap lead through the tunnel. I had to remind myself that smooth was fast, and the G4 somehow knew it was crunch time. Through Nouvelle, Tabac and Piscine, my warm tires held, and by the time I reached La Rascasse, I knew I had the lap. When the crew said, "Clear by 6 seconds" at the end of the lap, I felt a weight lifted from my aching shoulders.

I started humming "99 Bottles of Beer" at the end of lap 84, changing the words slightly to "15 laps to go on the track." Perhaps I shouldn't have, because I cooked the brakes going into Sainte Devote on lap 85 and stuffed it into the guard rail. Instead of lapping the 1963 Giulia on Beau Rivage for the 6th time, I had to cool my heels until the tunnel. Fortunately, the 300 SL still wasn't fully up to speed, so I maintained my lap-plus-6 second lead.

I finally got back into the sub-2:07 routine on lap 86. The backmarkers fell 10 laps down between lap 87 (the 500F in the tunnel) and lap 88 (the Skyline at Casino), while the 1965 Giulia went a 4th lap down as he pitted at the end of his lap 84. All the traffic put the 300 SL a lap plus 27 seconds behind by the time he cleared it all at the end of his 89th lap.

One last round of lapping began on lap 95, with the 500F going 11 laps down in the tunnel. The Skyline followed suit on Beau Rivage on lap 96, which also saw the fastest lap of the race at 2:04.149. The 1963 Giulia went a 7th lap down in the tunnel on lap 97 to earn the distinction of being the last car lapped.

I saved the best lap for last, as I finally broke the 2:04 mark on lap 99 with a 2:03.366. After 3:32:17.308 on the track, I stepped onto the podium where Graham Hill and Ayrton Senna once stood. The rest of the field was as one would expect, with the 300 SL finishing a lap down, the 1965 Giulia 4 laps down, the 1963 Giulia 7 laps down, and the Skyline and 500F 11 laps down.

I won't have long to enjoy the latest win and the $150,000 that came with it; tomorrow we head to the Sarthe district, where I expect to have to use a lot of cunning to overcome the 300 SL's superior power and speed. Even though I've already clinched the series with a 30-18 point lead, the race directors said I could not lose a race.

Circuit de la Sarthe II - a straight too far

We pulled into Le Mans bright and early, just the way I like it. I thanked my crew chief for suggesting the Sunday Cup instead of Isuzu Sports Classics as the opening race because the race directors informed us that, in honor of our vintage vehicles, the chicanes on the Mulsanne Straight would not be in use today for the 35 laps.

The lineup for all the marbles and another 10 A-spec points was the now-familiar 500F on point, the 300 SL second, the 1965 Giulia third, the 1963 Giulia 4th, the Skyline 5th, and me 6th. The Skyline just didn't get going, and I got by for 5th almost as soon as the green flag dropped. The same was true for the 500F, only he trapped the 1963 Giulia behind him, so I passed both of them before Dunlop Curve. The 1965 Giulia went down before the L'Arche chicane would be if we were using it. Despite me hitting 138 mph, the 300 SL extended his lead from 7 seconds just past the L'Arche chicane and the la Florandiere chicane.

I held my breath as I hit the brakes for the Mulsanne corner for the first time. Fortunately, they got me slowed down enough to take the corner. I slid off the outside of Maison blanche, turning a 15-second lead by the 300 SL at the Porsche curves into a 17.759-second lead at the start/finish line. I'm definitely going to have to do better than the 5:22.756 opening lap.

The second time through, I made it cleanly through Maison blanche, but my 5:12.163 lap left me 29.953 seconds behind the 300 SL. I was left to hope that he would pit and have problems with the lapped traffic. Unfortunately, he had no problems the lapping the 500F the first time around just after Mulsanne on lap 3. I did the same between Armage and the Porsche curves, and ended the lap 42.294 seconds behind.

The end of lap 4 saw me 55.313 seconds behind, with perhaps an opportunity to catch up as the 300 SL caught the Skyline just past the start of the Mulsanne Straight. Judging by the splits down the Straight, he did. Meanwhile, I lap the Skyline out of Maison blanche and finish the 5th lap 1:02.138 behind.

On lap 6, the 300 SL had all kinds of problems with the 500F on the Mulsanne straight, while I cleanly lapped the 500F for a second time just past Mulsanne. The gap at the line was 1:03.397, but now the 300 SL had a clear track ahead of him. He took full advantage to extend his 7th-lap lead to 1:10.828 and his 8th-lap lead to 1:17.143.

On lap 9, the 300 SL didn't seem to have too many problems with either the 500F, who I lapped for a third time in the middle of Mulsanne Straight, or the Skyline, who I lapped for a second time just before the Mulsanne Kink on lap 10.

On lap 12, which started 1:30 behind the 300 SL, I lapped the 500F for the 4th time coming out of Terte Rouge, and on lap 13, I lapped the 1963 Giulia approaching the Mulsanne Kink, which allowed me to hit 142 mph,

On lap 14, I slid past the 500F on the last right-hander before Indianapolis to put him 5 laps down, the 300 SL hit the pits, and I passed the Skyline to put him 3 laps down. The bad news was I was still behind the 300 SL by 55 seconds entering Tetre Rouge on lap 15. Meanwhile, I lapped the 1965 Giulia just before the Porsche curves.

On lap 17, I whipped past the 500F for the 6th time in the middle of Mulsanne Straight, thanking him for holding up the 300 SL for just a bit. Just a bit was right because I finished the lap 53 seconds behind.

Desperation set in as the 300 SL continued to pull away. I lapped the 500F for the 7th time and the 1963 Giulia for the second time in the Porsche curves on lap 22, but the 300 SL was 1:11 ahead.

An ugly mishap in the Dunlop esses on lap 23 put me further behind, but I lapped the Skyline for the 4th time in Indianapolis. The 500F went down for the 8th time at the Mulsanne Kink on lap 25, and the 1965 Giulia went a lap down in the Dunlop chicane on lap 26. The Skyline went a 5th lap down as he headed to pit road on his 22nd lap, and the 500F went a 9th lap down at the start of the Mulsanne Straight on lap 28.

My last shot to win presented itself when I heard the 300 SL was pitting as I exited Arnage on lap 28. Unfortunately, 32 seconds in the middle of Mulsanne on lap 31 would be as close as I got as the rear tires burned away.

Still, I pressed on just to finish this sad chapter of the narrative, lapping the Skyline in the Ford chicane on lap 31 to put him 6 laps down, and lapping the 1963 Giulia and the 500F on Muslanne Straight to put them 3 laps and 10 laps down respectively on lap 33. On lap 34, I spun out in Indianapolis to put the exclamation point on the disaster, so I was black-flagged. The 1963 Giulia got one of his laps back while I got fresh tires, but I passed him again headed onto Muslanne Straight.

The sad results:

300 SL - 2:56:12.286
Me - -1:49.695
1965 Giulia - -? laps (I seem to have missed a couple lappings in the narrative)
1963 Giulia - -? laps
Skyline - -8laps
500F - -13laps

Fortunately, the hypersonic transport also has a "rewind" feature, so it's back to the shop to figure out whether to try this again with some additional power or raise money another way.

Last edited:
Very well done Eggstor:tup: with the first three races in this series.

I was rooting for the Fiat 500F to get out of the cellar, but alas, it was not to be.:(

You seem to have been able to deal with the Ginetta's idiosyncratic handling characteristics. Are you running it stock, or have you applied some tuning adjustments to make it behave?

Respectfully,
GTsail

Very well done Eggstor:tup: with the first three races in this series.

I was rooting for the Fiat 500F to get out of the cellar, but alas, it was not to be.:(

You seem to have been able to deal with the Ginetta's idiosyncratic handling characteristics. Are you running it stock, or have you applied some tuning adjustments to make it behave?

Respectfully,
GTsail
It was bone-stock, which, unfortunately, turned race 4 into a disaster. The 300 SL simply had too much speed, and I'm too far out of practice. Fortunately, the back-up save is from the day I got the Ginetta, so I've got a trick or two left for the second run.

* huge snip*
The sad results (at La Sarthe):

300 SL - 2:56:12.286
Me - -1:49.695
1965 Giulia - -? laps (I seem to have missed a couple lappings in the narrative)
1963 Giulia - -? laps
Skyline - -8laps
500F - -13laps.....

Bummer!

That Mercedes sure is fast at La Sarthe!

Have you been saving your game as each race in the Series was complete?

Can you re-run La Sarthe with a horsepower upgrade? Or had you skipped purchasing any Ginetta upgrades before starting the Championship?

The first three races went so well, I would hate to see you have to repeat them. But you may not have any choice because I don't think that even an alien can beat the Mercedes at La Sarthe in a bone stock Ginetta (maybe Austin343 would be willing to give it a try), and blocking is probably not an option because the Mercedes can squash the Ginetta like a bug!

Good luck,
GTsail

Bummer!

That Mercedes sure is fast at La Sarthe!

Have you been saving your game as each race in the Series was complete?

Can you re-run La Sarthe with a horsepower upgrade? Or had you skipped purchasing any Ginetta upgrades before starting the Championship?

The first three races went so well, I would hate to see you have to repeat them. But you may not have any choice because I don't think that even an alien can beat the Mercedes at La Sarthe in a bone stock Ginetta (maybe Austin343 would be willing to give it a try), and blocking is probably not an option because the Mercedes can squash the Ginetta like a bug!

Good luck,
GTsail
It was all bone stock except for the tires, and the last save was right after I put the S1s on the Ginetta and before the series. I'll have to re-run the series, but I can do the exit-reenter trick to avoid the Mercedes if I have to. I might do Isuzu Sports Classics to get the 1968 Isuzu 117 Coupe and avoid the higher-powered cars to boost the A-spec points.

On my first run for the 1st of June, my limited notes said I did just barely beat the Mercedes at Sarthe with a stock Ginetta (by 9 seconds), but that the tires were completely gone. The rest of that lineup was the 1965 Toyota Sports 800 and 1965 Fiat 500F in front of the Mercedes, and the 1967 Nissan Skyline and 1962 Lotus Elan S1 between the Mercedes and me.

Arrgh - I had a rather lengthy post detailing the resumption of the quest and things flaked out on me. The Sunday Cup race reports are, unfortunately, gone to the four winds.

Sorry about the delays - I've been rather busy the last few months, and the gaming TV went into the crapper. So, with a shiny new 26" 1080p TV (yes, I'm ready for the PS3 and GT5 when I can afford it), I decided to take the rewind in a different direction.

This time, I decided to take the Sunday Cup next. I was tempted to take the Suzuki Cappuccino, but the last 3 tracks are high-speed tracks, and 63 horses just won't cut it. The problem was, since the hypersonic transport took me back to the point just after I got the S1 tires for the Ginetta G4, I couldn't afford to buy the Isuzu Piazza. I was forced to use the G4 and take, except for one of the races, single digits in the A-spec points.

Suffice it to say, the competition was no match, even though my driving was a bit rusty (especially at Twin Ring Motegi - West). I picked up a gray 1979 Autobianchi A112 Abarth for my troubles, and after the mandatory visit to Tony's, I have just under $9,000 in cash and 12 days in. At least I can afford the Piazza now.

1000 Miles - Take 2 (or How to Outduel a Corvette by Hook and by Crook)

One of the benefits of time travel is the ability to remember what went wrong in the past. With that in mind and some cash in hand, I ran the Ginetta G4 to the dealer for some modifications. Unfortunately, I ran so fast, I twisted my back wrong (I did really twist my back, just not in-game). Still, I picked up the sports exhaust, racing brakes and racing flywheel, and had the chassis lightened a bit. That left me with $748 in my pocket, a hurt back, and a 96 hp/970 pound overgrown go-kart. After jiggering the lineup some to get the unworthy out of there, I found one with a 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe (C2), a white 1964 Ginetta G4, a 1967 Isuzu 117 Coupe, a 1967 Mazda 110S (L10A) and a 1967 Skyline 2000GT-B (S54A).

Race 1 - 25 laps at Nurburgring Nordschliefe

Since this is a "friendly" and very-long race, we agreed to not qualify and instead draw the lineups out of a hat. The lineup, for 18 A-spec points, was:

Skyline
White G4
110S
Corvette
Me

On the first lap, I quickly dispatched the 117 in Hatzelback. The 110S temporarily went down at Kottenborn, but the back end jumped out on me at Schwedenkreuz, sending me onto the grass and allowing the 110S to get by. The next to fall wasn't the 110S, but the Skyline, at Adenaur Forst. Getting the brakes rather than a tune-up was a good idea; I used them to full effect to get by the 110S for good at Kallenhard. Patience was a virtue as I laid back behind the white G4 until he spun in Schalbenscwanz, where I got by him. Lap 1 went by in 9:22.845, and I was 5.4 seconds behind the Vette.

On lap 2, I caught and, indeed, temporaily passed the Vette for the lead, but on the straights, the V8 had too much power. I ended up riding in his slipstream from Antoniusbuche to the Kleine-Karussel on lap 3, letting lap 2 slip by in 8:53.783. In the Kleine-Karussel, I didn't anticipate him braking so hard and pile-drove into him. That threw me off, and I painted the guardrail in Galgenkopf to end lap 3 4.2 seconds back.

On lap 4, I did some lawn-wrecking at Schwedenkeruz and Pflanzgarten III as the bumps upset both the car and my back. Still, I got to within 2 seconds.

On lap 5, I again put the new brakes to good use, outbraking the Vette headed into Wehrseifen to take the lead. Since he decided to pit, that gave me a 42.5-second lead.

On lap 6, the 110S and Skyline both pitted, while on lap 7, the 117 came down to the attention of his pit crew. Meanwhile, the bumps and fading rear tires allowed me to do an impressive through-the-grass drift at Aremburg.

I somehow nursed the car around lap 8 and extended my lead to 50.1 seconds, but I really paid for trying to stretch it to lap 9. A second trip through the grass at Aremburg combined with guardrail trips at Wippermann and Pflanzgarten III convinced me I needed to pit on lap 9. Since the gas gauge had just gone under 7/10ths on that lap, I decided to take just tires. I got out of the pits with a 11.5-second lead, while the white G4 also decided to pit.

The Vette got as close as 4.1 seconds at T3 on lap 10, but since his tires were so bad, he needed to pit, I extended the lead to 20.7 sconds at T11 (despite using the car as a lawn mower in Tiergarten) and 40.5 seconds when he finally left the pits.

On lap 11, I lapped the Skyline at Kallenhard and the 117 coming out of Galgenkopf, while extending the lead to 49.6 seconds

Lesson to the wise - DO NOT TAKE YOUR SMARTPHONE OUT ON THE TRACK! On lap 12, an errant e-mail sent me into both guardrails at Kottenborn, but still I lapped the 110S at the Kleine-Karussel (after first catching him at Pflanzgarten I). Still, because the Vette couldn't get around the 117 for a while, the lead grew to 49.8 seconds.

Lap 13 saw another disaster, as I caught the edge of the grass at Sprunghugel and couldn't keep up with the yawing. I finally ended up nose-first into the guardrail in Pflanzgarten III. Had it not been for Guido's Instant Body and Engine Repair, the day would have been done. To top it off, I did a 180 in Galgenkopf, which shrunk the lead to 20.9 seconds.

Meanwhile, the Skyline pitted on his lap 12, and the 117 and 110S both pitted on their lap 13. I took flight in Flugplatz into the guardrail (Lloyd's isn't going to be happy with all the damages) on lap 15, but still lapped the white G4 in Schwalbenschwanz as he was having an even-worse day. With the Vette pitting a third time, my lead grew to 52.2 seconds.

I finally put together a decent lap on lap 16, turning a race-low 8:53.557. Of course, I followed that up with a trip into the sand trap at Aremburg as the back tires gave up. Since I was in the pit window, I went down for tires. This time, not liking that the gas gauge was showing only 3/10ths, I took gas as well, and 54 units filled up the tank.

Lap 18 saw another looping at Aremburg, and lap 19 saw a bouncing through and off the track at Pflanzgarten III. That gave the Vette some hope, as he closed to within 7.8 seconds.

The white G4 came to the attention of his pit crew again on his lap 18, the Skyline came down for the third time on his lap 18, and the Vette came down for the fourth time on his lap 20. That left the lead at 49.1 seconds with 5 laps to go.

The Skyline fell a second lap down on lap 21 at Klosteral, which saw another trip to the Pflanzgarten III guardrail. The track crew must be very quick; I couldn't see any evidence of me plowing into the guardrail from before.

On lap 23, I put the 110S a second lap down in Kottenborn and the 117 a second lap down in Kallenhard. There was one last bit of drama on the last lap, as I looped it coming out of Galgenkopf.

The results:
Me - 3:47:25.246 (10 points)
Corvette - approximately 1 minute back (6 points)
White G4 - -1 lap (4 points)
117 - -2 laps (3 points)
110S - -2 laps (2 points)
Skyline - -2 laps (1 point)

I hope a French massage cures the back.

Race 2 - 95 laps at Opera Paris Normal

The race directors decided to do just one more hat-draw to set the lineup for the rest of the series. The lineup, for 33 A-spec points this time:

White G4
Corvette
Skyline
110S
me

I got out to a rip-roaring start, passing the 117 on Rue de Rivoli, powering past the 110S at the start of Biv de la Madeline, and flying past the skyline at the end of Blf de la Madeline. The first lap went by in 1:57.727, 6.6 seconds behind the Vette.

On lap 2, I passed the white G4 at the start-finish line as he had problems coming out of Place de la Concorde, but the Vette built up a 8.4-second lead. My spotter said to expect all the competition to have that problem.

The tires were slow to warm up, with the rear tires not getting there until the end of lap 4. That allowed the Vette to get out to a 9.0-second lead. The front tires finally got there, which allowed me to get the lap times down to the 1:44 range, with a early-going low of 1:44.402 on the 8th lap.

I caught the Vette at the end of lap 11, but decided to let it ride for a while. He couldn't decide how to lap the 117 on Blv de la Madeleine during lap 13, so I showed him how.

Lap 14 saw me lap the Skyline on Rue de Rivoli, which he didn't appreciate too much because he decided to use me as his brake in turn 3. Still, the traffic the Vette was dealing with left him 7.8 seconds back.

Speaking of the Vette, he came down for service on lap 15. The driver of the whtie G4 was once again proving just how fickle the G4 is, as he kept on pounding the walls. I decided to get by him quickly in turn 8 on lap 16 before he collected me.

I started to find my rhythm, as lap 19 became the first sub-1:44 lap (1:43.334). Meanwhile, the Skyline came down to pit on lap 19, and was lapped for the second time on Blv de la Madeleine during lap 22. I did the same to the 117 there on lap 24, and lapped the 110S for a second time the same lap as he pitted on his lap 22. The 117 followed him in that time by.

The rhythm-building continued as lap 26 became my first sub-1:43 lap (1:42.820). I lapped the white G4 for the second time on Rue de Rivoli during lap 28. He then decided to pit on his lap 29, leaving me the only car out there on the original tires.

I finally came down on lap 32, in a position to make it a two-stop race. Since the gas gauge still had 7/10ths showing, I went with just tires. The Vette pitted a bit ahead of me on his lap 31.

After temporarily putting the 117 a third lap down just before I got to the pits and then letting him get it back, I put him a third lap down for good coming out of Place de la Concorde at the end of lap 34. I did the same to the Skyline in Blv de la Madeleine during lap 35, and to the 110S coming out of Place de la Concorde at the end of lap 36.

On my 40th trip onto Blv de la Madeleine, I lapped the white G4 for the third time, and had the Vette just barely in my sights. Because he had so much more power, I couldn't quite get by for a while. Fortunately, after the Skyline pitted for the second time on his 39th lap, the Vette was hung up enough at Place de la Concorde to allow me to finally lap both him (for the first time) and the Skyline (for the fourth time) at the end of lap 44.

I lapped the 117 for a fourth time on Blv de la Madeleine during lap 47, while the 110S pitted on his lap 43 and went a fourth lap down on Rue de Rivoli during my lap 48. The white G4 followed suit four laps down at the end of lap 53. The Skyline went five laps down on Rue de Rivoli and the 117 went five laps down on Blv de la Madeleine during lap 56.

On lap 58, I set what would be the fast lap of the race at 1:41.969. The following lap, I lapped the 110S for the fifth time.

The white G4 made his second stop on his lap 57 and consequently went a fifth lap down on lap 62. The Vette made his fourth stop on his lap 62, just ahead of my second (and last) stop on lap 64. Since I had been conserving gas by using third gear between the start/finish line and turn 5, I still had over a half tank of gas, so I took just tires.

The Skyline pitted for the third time on his lap 60, which allowed me to lap him for a sixth time on lap 66. During lap 69, the 117 fell six laps back on Rue de Rivoli, while the 110S made his third stop on his lap 64.

Between Place de la Concorde and turn 1 on lap 71/72, I put the Vette a second lap down and the 110S a sixth lap down. Meanwhile, the 117 made his third stop on his lap 65.

During lap 76, I lapped the white G4 for the sixth time before the Place Vendome chicane and the Skyline for the seventh time at the end of Blv de la Madeleine. The following lap, the 117 joined the Skyline seven laps down in front of the Opera House.

The Vette made his fifth stop on his lap 77, and I continued the seven theme by lapping the 110S for the seventh time on Blv de la Madeleine during lap 81. The Skyline went eight laps down at the beginning of Blv de la Madeleine during lap 86, and the 117 went eight laps down in the middle of Blv de la Madeleine during lap 87.

The Skyline pitted for the fourth time on his lap 79, and the 110S pitted on his lap 85. The latter let me put the 110S eight laps down.

I proceeded to outbrake the Skyline into the first part of turn 5 on lap 94 to put him 9 laps down. The white G4 pitted for the third time on his lap 86 just before I took the white flag, and I lapped him for the eighth time as he banged the wall in the first part of turn 5. The 117 pitted for the final time on his lap 86, but got out before I took the checkered flag. The Vette wasn't as lucky; his sixth pit on his lap 92 left him in the pits whle I took the checkered flag.

The results:

Me - 2:46:56.424 (20 points total, 1st)
Vette - -3 laps (12 points total, 2nd)
White G4 - -8 laps (8 points total, 3rd)
110S - -8 laps (5 points total, tied for 4th)
117 - -8 laps (5 points total, tied for 4th)
Skyline - -9 laps (2 points total, 6th)

Things are looking up as we head to the track of champions, Monaco.

Race 3 - 99 Bottles of Bee...er, Laps at Cote d'Azur

As one can probably tell by the title, I was in a rather festive mood as the caravan pulled into the prinicpality of Monaco. The lineup was the same as it was when we left Paris, for the same 33 A-spec points. On with the recap...

99 laps left at Cote d'Azur...I blasted by the 117 and 110S while climbing Beau Rivage for the first time, but because things are so tight after Casino, I was trapped behind the Skyline until we got to the tunnel. I ended up 9.3 seconds behind the Vette. Hammer the gas, cross the line....

98 laps left at Cote d'Azur...Because the white G4 is being driven by a complete rookie, he tried tearing down the walls at the Nouvelle chicane, so I got by him. As the tires were still cold, I was 9.7 seconds back.

94 laps left...The front tires finally started to get warmed up to match the just-warmed rear tires, so I turned in a 2:03.967 lap to be a race-high 10.2 seconds back.

90 laps left...The deficit got chopped to 2.2 seconds as the Vette had all sorts of problems with the 117.

89 laps left...I lapped the 117 for the first time while climbing Beau Rivage. Meanwhile, the Skyline was the head of a 4-car conga line at the Nouvelle chicane, ahead of the 110S, Vette, and me. That didn't last long as the Vette got by both of them and I lapped the 110S just before the finish line.

88 laps left...The Skyline fell a lap down at Sainte Devote. I decided to just hound the Vette for a while.

85 laps left...British "engineering" struck hard; the brakes locked up in the middle of Nouvelle chicane, and brought me to a hard stop. After I jiggled the brake pedal, I got going, but the Vette's lead climbed to 7.4 seconds (really, a cable somehow got disconnected from the Driving Force Pro in the middle of Nouvelle chicane and the game thought I had jammed on the brakes).

84 laps left...I began driving like a madman to make up for the mistake. I didn't need to bother; the Vette pitted to give me the lead by 15.2 seconds at the line.

82 laps left...The white G4 took Loews too wide, so I lapped him for the first time.

81 laps left...I went below the 2:03 mark (2:02.853) to extend the lead to 24.1 seconds.

78 laps left...The 117 went a second lap down headed into the tunnel, and the 110S joined him just before the start/finish line.

77 laps left...The third member of the Japanese contingent went two laps down at Sainte Devote.

75 laps left...The Skyline gave up 4th (and 5th) to pit.

70 laps left...The back tires started to go, but I still lapped the Skyline for a third time entering the tunnel. Meanwhile, the 110S pitted on his 27th lap.

69 laps left...Caught the 110S at Mirabeau, but couldn't put him three laps down until the tunnel. Meanwhile, the 117 pitted on his 28th lap, allowing me to put him 3 laps down as well.

67 laps left...The Vette pitted for a second time (working his 32nd lap) to put him 56.4 seconds back. Meanwhile, I lapped the white G4 for a second time in the tunnel, and as he was wont to do, he tried too hard to get the lap back at Nouvelle chicane.

66 laps left...I pitted to get some new tires, but decided to leave the fuel alone because I still had 7/10ths of a tank. That gave the white G4 one of his two laps back. Meanwhile, my lead, which had grown to 1:03, shrank to 44 seconds.

65 laps left...I let the white G4 play wrecking ball in Nouvelle chicane before I lapped him for a second time (again).

63 laps left...The white G4 finally decided some fresh tires would be a good thing on his 34th lap.

58 laps left...The 117 went 4 laps down in the tunnel.

57 laps left...I put the racing brakes to good use by outbraking the Skyline headed into Mirabeau to put him 4 laps down.

56 laps left...The 110S was a bit mad at being a backmarker, so he cut me off at Sainte Devote. It took me until Massanet to lap him for a fourth time.

54 laps left...The mechanical wrecking ba...er, white G4 was still having problems at Nouvelle chicane, so I lapped him a third time on the way to Tabac.

53 laps left...The 2:02 barrier fell, as I turned in a 2:01.835 lap.

51 laps left...The Vette came in for his third stop on his lap 48, leaving him 1:25 behind. The Skyline also came in for the second time on his 44th lap.

50 laps left...The Skyline was lapped for a fifth time just before the start/finish line.

48 laps left...The 117 was lapped for a fifth time just before the start/finish line.

45 laps left...I shrugged off an attempted by the 110S at Massanet to put him 5 laps down.

43 laps left...had the fastest lap of the race so far at 2:01.641.

42 laps left...The 110S pitted for the second time on his 52nd lap.

41 laps left...The 117 pitted for the second time on his 53rd lap. Meanwhile, I cut inside the white G4 at Anthony Noghes to put him a fourth lap down.

40 laps left...The Skyline went a sixth lap down in the tunnel. Guess he isn't getting off the bottom.

39 laps left...The 117 joined the Skyline six laps down just past the start/finish line.

37 laps left...The 110S fell 6 laps down just past the start/finish line.

35 laps left...The Vette pitted for the fourth time on his lap 64, which allowed me to lap him.

32 laps left...I came down one last time for tires, but no fuel because I was just under a half tank.

31 laps left...I let the Vette get his lap back because he had warmer tires than I did.

29 laps left...The Skyline went a seventh lap down just before the start/finish line.

28 laps left...The 117 went a seventh lap down just before the start/finish line.

27 laps left...The white G4 pitted for the second time on his lap 68 to allow me to put him 5 laps down.

25 laps left...The Skyline pitted for the third time on his lap 67. Meanwhile, I put the 110S a seventh lap down just before Tabac.

21 laps left...The Skyline went eight laps down in the tunnel.

19 laps left...The Vette pitted for the fifth time on his lap 80 to allow me to put him back a lap down.

17 laps left...The 117 decided to be a pissant about going eight laps down in Piscine, so I waited until the final straight to finish the deed.

15 laps left...The 110S pitted for the third time on his lap 77, which let me put him eight laps down.

13 laps left...The 117 pitted for the third time on his lap 79. Meanwhile, I took advantage of the white G4's continued inability to handle Loews to put him six laps down.

11 laps left...The Skyline went nine laps down just before Nouvelle chicane.

9 laps left...The 117 went nine laps down in the tunnel.

7 laps left...I set a race-low lap time of 2:01.348.

6 laps left...The 110S went 9 laps down in the tunnel.

2 laps left...The Vette pitted for the sixth time on his lap 96. Meanwhile, I put the Skyline 10 laps down in the tunnel, and the white G4 was so jealous of my handling of my G4, he cut me off coming out of Anthony Noghes to ruin possibly a fast lap.

1 lap left...I got my revenge on the white G4 coming out of Casino and put him seven laps down. Hammer the gas, cross the line, no more laps at Cote d'Azur.

The results:

Me - 3:26:29.226 (30 points total, 1st overall)
Vette - -1 lap (18 points total, 2nd)
White G4 - -7 laps (12 points total, 3rd)
110S - -9 laps (8 points total, 4th)
117 - -9 laps (7 points total, 5th)
Skyline - -10 laps (3 points total, 6th)

Next up, the moment of truth at Le Mans.

Race 4 - 35 laps at Circuit de la Sarthe II

I returned to the site of my failure last time with a slightly more-powerful car, and a lot better competition. Since I heard rumors that the Vette could turn sub-5 minute laps, I knew I had to take every last shortcut I could get away with, including hoping the Sport Medium tires would last 18 laps. When the race steward didn't mention anything about penalties for using pavement beyond the rumble strips, I let out a sigh of relief. I don't know if it was that sigh or the decision to use the S2 tires that got me hauled into the office and informed that, instead of 33 A-spec points, I would only get 24 if I won.

I shrugged it off, and climbed into my semi-trusty steed. After we took the green flag, I got by the 117 before we even got past the stands, the 110S in the Dunlop Curve, and the Skyline in the Esses. I couldn't get get close enough to either the white G4 or the Vette to draft off them, so I topped out at 139 mph down Mulsanne Straight. Meanwhile, the white G4 couldn't slow down in time at the Mulsanne turn, and when he came back on track, he clipped me. Still, I turned in a respectable 5:09.511, and finished 8.8 seconds behind the Vette.

The sand in the Dunlop Curve bit me some on lap 2, and I ended up 12.7 seconds back. The rear tires didn't come in until almost all the way through lap 4, during which I found the edge of the sand at Indianapolis (funny; I thought it should be paving bricks), and I fell 18.9 seconds back.

I finally got my rhythm on lap 5, with a 4:54.854 lap, which actually allowed me to close to within 17.5 seconds of the Vette. Unfortunately, the Vette also found its rhythm, and extended his lead to 23.3 seconds by the end of lap 8.

The Vette had some problems with the backmarking Skyline and 117 on lap 9, but he still extended his lead to 24.8 seconds. Meanwhile, I used both the Skyline (about a third of the way down Mulsanne Straight) and 117 (between Mulsanne and Indianapolis) as effective, if temporary wind blockers, as I saw 140 mph on the Mulsanne Straight for the first time, and turned in a 4:53.724 lap to keep the deficit at 24.8 seconds.

On lap 11, while the Vette had no problem dispatching the 110S, he had all sorts of problems with the white G4 in the Mulsanne corner, mostly because the rookie was able to draft his way down the Mulsanne Straight and really overcook things. Meanwhile, I lapped the 110S coming out of Maison blanche and closed to 18.7 seconds.

The following lap, I managed to avoid the wildly-fishtailing white G4 in Dunlop Curve to lap him, but followed it up by a run through the sand at Tetre Rouge. Fortunately, the Vette decided to hit the pits for tires and fuel, and because his pit stall was beyond the start/finish line, he managed to have a 16.7-second lead at the end of that lap.

I flashed by the idled Vette to start lap 13, and ran out to a 12.3-second lead at the end of it. My lead went up to 15.8 seconds at the end of lap 15, but I power-slid through Maison blanche to let him start hacking away at it.

The Skyline hit the pits for the first time on his 15th lap, and I put him a second lap down headed into Tertre Rouge on my 18th lap. The pits became a busy place as the 110S, 117 (both on their 16th lap), and I (on my 18th lap) all came down, even though my tires were still green and the gas tank was still over half full. Because my pit stall was also beyond the start/finish line, I finished lap 18 6.7 seconds ahead of the Vette.

Of course, because I was in the pits, the Vette took over the lead to start lap 19, and made it 23.6 seconds at the end of the lap. On lap 20, I cleanly put the 117 two laps down as we went by the end of the main grandstand and the white G4 the same two laps down just before the first kink past the Mulsanne corner. The Vette didn't have as much luck with the white G4 earlier in the lap, as his lead shrunk to 20.5 seconds despite my cold tires.

On lap 21, even though I saw a non-draft-aided 140 mph on the Mulsanne Straight for the first time, the Vette had more drafting help from the 110S, and his lead grew to 24.1 seconds. The following lap, even though I got enough drafting help from the same 110S (which went 2 laps down in the middle of Mulsanne Straight) to see 143 mph, the Vette extended the lead to 26.1 seconds.

I wish there was a replay of lap 23 so I could see what happened to the Vette to reduce his lead to 20.9 seconds. In any case, he pitted on lap 24, crossing the stripe 13.2 seconds ahead of me.

Since the Vette was in the pits, I got the lead at the start of lap 25 and made it a solid 17.0 seconds at the end of the lap, and 19.0 seconds after lap 26. Unfortunately, I had a double-whammy on lap 27 - I was stuck behind the Skyline between just before Indianapolis and Arnage, where I put him three laps down, and I caught sand coming out of the perpetually-straightened Ford chicane. That chopped my lead to 17.4 seconds.

Fortunately, the Vette also had problems with the Skyline on lap 28 and the 117 on lap 29. Meanwhile, the white G4 decided to clean the sand out of his gearbox on his lap 24, and I put the 117 a third lap down in the middle of the Mulsanne Straight on lap 29 (before the Vette had his problems with him) to stretch the lead to 20.7 seconds.

I don't know what happened to the Vette on lap 31; there didn't appear to be anybody around him, yet my lead grew to 26.9 seconds. The following lap, I decided to be fair and trim some of the grass in the Porche Curves instead of forcing the issue with the 110S. Still, I put him three laps down coming out of the Ford chicane, and finished the lap up 26.2 seconds. At that point, I decided to let things settle down, or so I thought.

The Skyline pitted for the second time on his lap 30, which allowed me to put him four laps down about 2/3rds of the last trip down Mulsanne Straight. Had I been just a bit quicker, I would have also put the white G4 four laps down as he made a mess of the Ford chicane close enough so I could see the spin. However, I had to settle for a fast last lap of 4:52.647.

The results:

Me - 2:53:24.186
Vette - Approximately 23 seconds back
110S - -3 laps
117 - -3 laps
White G4 - -3 laps
Skyline - -4 laps

The final points:

Me - 40 points
Vette - 24 points
White G4 - 14 points
110S - 12 points
117 - 10 points
Skyline - 4 points

Winning a total of $900,000 ($150,000 for each of the 4 races, $300,000 bonus for winning the series) and a white 1963 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale was worth having the time machine module installed in the Hypersonic Transport. After taking the Alfa to Tony's, who appreciates the Italian classics, I am left with $900,648 in my pocket, 275 A-spec points, and April 18, Year 1 showing on my calendar.

Last edited:
GTA Cup - Short, nasty, and brutish

I finally had some cash after winning 1000 Miles!, so I had some different directions I could go. Since I was in the neighborhood, I decided to stop in the Alfa Romeo dealership to grab a Rossa Alfa 2002 Alfa Romeo 147 GTA for $48,040 since I would need that for the GTA Cup, and the only way I could get the other car eligible for the series (the 1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA 1600) was to win said series. Once Tony did his $100 worth of magic on it, I had a 259-horsepower, 2,998-pound beast of a front-wheel-drive car. I made a fateful decision and decided to disable all the electronic aids. To be honest, it took a few "dry runs" to get more-or-less dialed in on all the 147's nasty habits.

Race 1 - 2 laps at Grand Valley East Reverse

I pulled into Grand Valley to find that we would not only be using the short East course, but run the two laps reversed. Joining me were three other 147s (black, gray and blue), and two ancient 1965 Giulia Sprint GTA 1600s (white and red). The rolling-start lineup, for 10 A-spec points, was:

Black 147
White Giulia
Gray 147
Red Giulia
Blue 147
Me

Both the blue 147 and I got by the red Giulia on the front straight after taking the green flag. Because the 147 has both the typical FWD tendency to massively understeer, and even torque steer, under power and a troubling habit of lift-throttle oversteer, I ended up stuck behind the blue 147 until the end of the tunnel. At turn D at the end of the tunnel, I passed him and the white Giulia on the outside, then proceeded to put three wheels on the grass in turn G as I took it a bit too hot. Still, I got by the gray 147 coming out of H, and completed the lap in 1:28.880, 2.2 seconds behind the black 147.

Lap 2 started off very adventurous as I locked up the right-rear tire in turn A, but barely kept it on the track. I then watched the black 147 smack the wall at the beginning of the tunnel, which allowed me to close up the distance. I got by him between turns H and J, and finished the last lap first at the 1:19.360 mark.

The results:
Me - 2:48.240
Black 147 - 2:49.177
Gray 147 - 2:51.823
Blue 147 - 2:37.510
White Giulia - timed out
Red Giulia - timed out

I did get $2,000 for my troubles, as everybody except the gray 147 loaded up for Japan.

Race 2 - 3 laps at Tsukuba

The gang, with a white 147 replacing the gray one, pulled into Tsukuba. The same 10 A-spec points were up for grabs, but with a slightly-different lineup:

White 147
Red Giulia
White Giulia
Blue 147
Black 147
Me

I had a clean race, but since I forgot to save the replay, you're getting this one instead. I caught the black 147 in the esses, but an unseen bump send me sideways into him. Still, I got by him in turn 3, and by the white Giulia in turn 4. Since I took turn 5 too wide, I ended up in the grass. Still, I used superior horsepower (just a bit too much for second gear coming out of 7) to pass both the red Giulia and the blue 147 on the long straight before turn 8. A 1:16.090 lap left me 3.1 seconds behind the newcomer white 147.

Lap 2 was nice and clean, and a 1:08.693 lap left me merely 0.3 seconds behind the white 147 as I got on the inside coming out of turn 8.

I completed the pass on lap 3 by making a bonzai dive into turn 1 work. From there, I took it easy and turned a 1:08.700 lap. Meanwhile, both the white and blue 147s went off-course coming off of turn 8.

The results:
Me - 3:33.483
White 147 - 3:35.530
Blue 147 - 3:41.242
Black 147 - 3:43.434
Red Giulia - 3:47.998
White Giulia - timed out

Another day, another win, another $2,000, another 10 A-spec points.

Race 3 - 2 laps at Apricot Hill Normal

The gray 147 came back to replace the white one, and a green 147 replaced the blue one. The lineup for yet another 10 A-spec points:

White Giulia
Gray 147
Black 147
Red Giulia
Green 147
Me

Even with a reduced throttle to manage the wheelspin off the standing start, I accelerated past both the green 147 and both Giulias before turn 1. Lap 1 ended at the 1:55.524 mark with me in 3rd.

On lap 2, I got inside the black 147 headed into turn 1. He didn't much appreciate it and tried a late, futile block. While the gray 147 was fishtailing after overcooking turn 5, I got by him for the lead. A near-disaster struck as I came down the hill into turn 7 - I got the rear too light under braking, and it decided it wanted to become the front end. Fortunately, it did so in a clockwise fashion, and all that was done was I cut some grass in the right-hander. I crossed the finish line first after a 1:16.641 lap.

The results:

Me - 3:38.883
Gray 147 - 3:40.434
Green 147 - 3:40.899
Black 147 - 3:42.635
Red Giulia - timed out
White Gulia - timed out

Since that was the last day of the series, I had to take an extra day to take delivery of a Rosso Alfa 1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA 1600. Tony took some special pride in his wax job, but refused to take a penny more than his usual $100, which leaves me with $858,408 and 305 A-spec points on 4/23 of year 1.

Even though I know the 147 can handily win the FF Challenge, I don't really want to deal with the quirks. I'm thinking about using a 2002 Mini Cooper-S.

Mini Mini Sports Meeting - Branching out

Since the 147 is rather brutish, I didn't want to dominate the FF Challenge with it. There were three other cars on my "must-buy" list that, theoretically, had a chance at that title - the 2002 Mini Cooper-S, the 2004 Honda Civic Type R, and the 2003 Peugeot 206 RC. Looking over my old notes, the Civic dominated its B-License one-make race, the Civic Race, and I didn't really need the 206 until late in Year 2. That left the Cooper, so I headed over to the far side of The Pond with $26,790 in hand, and walked out of the Mini showroom with a British Racing Green 2002 Mini Cooper-S.

While I was signing the paperwork, the salesman told me about a one-make race for the BMW-engineered Coopers. Since I'm not one to pass up a race, I had him arrange for me to pick up the car from the Paris franchise of Tony's Wax and Oil Shop. Fortunately, even the Paris shop charges only $100 for the combination of the Secret Slippery Wax and the Secret Racing Oil, so I still had $831,518 left in my pocket.

Race 1 - 2 laps at Opera Paris Normal

Every variety from the 2002 Mini lineup was represented, from the mighty-mouse Cooper-S to the plain-Jane Cooper, to the very-economical (and very-slow) One. The lineup, which the race director was offering 10 A-spec points for a win, was:

Yellow Cooper-S
Cooper
One
White Cooper-S
Blue Cooper-S
Me

On the opening lap, I blasted past the One on Rue di Rivoli, only to bounce off the outside guardrail trying to take the plain Cooper in turn 3 (well, I did complete the pass). The next to fall was the blue Cooper-S, which was passed at the end of Rue de la Paix after a hounding from the chicane at Place Vendome. The white Cooper-S followed suit at the end of Blv de la Madeleine, and I finished the lap in 1:51.290, 3.9 seconds behind the yellow Cooper-S.

On lap 2, I caught the yellow Cooper-S at Pl de Opera, but just didn't quite have enough horses to make the pass until he, like every other observed B-spec driver, hit the brake coming out of Place de la Concorde. The 1:42.482 lap sealed a razor-thin win that belied the 10 A-spec points.

Results:

Me 3:33.772
Yellow Cooper-S - 3:33.912
White Cooper-S 3:40.551
Blue Cooper-S 3:41.883
Cooper - timed out
One - timed out

I took my $3,000 for winning and enjoyed the nightlife, as tomorrow would bring a significant culture change.

Race 2 - 1 lap at Tokyo R246 Normal

I'm still amazed at how fast the hypersonic transport is. It took but one day to get from Paris to Tokyo. I needed to be on my game because we would get only one lap around the street course. The lineup, for the same 10 A-spec points as the first race:

Red Cooper-S
Cooper
One
Yellow Cooper-S
Blue Cooper-S
Me

Despite spinning the tires some on the standing start, I got past the one, blue Cooper-S and the plain Cooper before we got to Icho-Namiki dori. I darted inside the yellow Cooper-S coming out of turn 3, completing the pass in turn 4. Things weren't exactly clean; I scraped the guardrail coming out of turn 6, and really slammed the inside guardrail headed into Shuto-ko. Still, I used a tighter line than the red Cooper-S as we rejoined Route 246 to set up a slingshot pass, which was done coming out of turn 11. The too-close-for-comfort results:

Me - 2:22.602
Red Cooper-S - 2:22.692
Yellow Cooper-S - 2:23.912
Blue Cooper-S - 2:27.513
Cooper - 2:34.222
One - timed out

Race 3 - 3 laps at Clubman Reverse

The order and colors got shuffled some, but the lineup still offered the same 10 A-spec points:

Cooper
Blue Cooper-S
One
Yellow Cooper-S
Gray Cooper-S
Me

I got by the one before the first set of esses between turns B and C, and temporarily got by the gray Cooper-S in the left-hander half of turn D. Unfortunately, I was too fast for the right-hander half of that, and he got back by me, and we jousted until I made the pass stick in turn E. Exiting the tunnel, I blasted past the Cooper, and then squeezed between the pit-entrance guardrail and the yellow Cooper-S to pass him. Lap 1 ended at 1:16.386, 0.4 seconds behind the blue Cooper-S.

On lap 2, I used the high-low technique in the tunnel to take the lead just before the tunnel exit. The 1:09.398 lap saw me 0.3 seconds ahead of the blue Cooper-S.

I got careless on lap 3, biffing the inside wall in turn A and overcooking the brakes, but not hitting anything, in turn D. Still, I closed with a 1:09.125 lap and a 1.6-second win.

The results:

Me - 3:34.909
Blue Cooper-S - 3:36.486
Yellow Cooper-S - 3:37.225
Gray Cooper-S - 3:38.316
Cooper - 3:46.429
One - timed out

Race 4 - 2 laps at Seattle Normal

Two of the Cooper-S'es dropped out of this one, reducing the A-spec points up for grabs to 7. The lineup:

Black One
Yellow Cooper
Blue Cooper-S
Gray One
Red Cooper
Me

Superior horsepower let me pass the red Cooper and gray One before we got to Spring St. I had the inside on the yellow Cooper headed onto Yesler Way, but decided not to force the issue. Instead, I took both him and the black One at the same time as we crossed 4th Ave on James St. I had the better line coming out of turn 14, which allowed me to pass the blue Cooper-S between there and turn 15, and take a lead of 0.3 seconds after a 2:10.877 lap.

Lap 2 was uneventful, even as I caught plenty of air on James St and 4th Ave S, and I closed out the race with a 1:58.608 lap and a 6.6-second win.

Results:

Me - 4:09.485
Blue Cooper-S - 4:16.074
Yellow Cooper - timed out
Red Cooper - timed out
Black One - timed out
Gray One - timed out

Race 5 - 2 laps at New York Reverse

It somehow is fitting that the last race is in the Big Apple. One of the Cooper-S's returned, replacing one of the plain Coopers. The lineup, for 8 A-spec points:

Cooper
Blue Cooper-S
Purple One
Red One
Gray Cooper-S
Me

The red One thought he could block me while we headed up Broadway on lap 1, but I proved him wrong. Some wild driving in Columbus Circle allowed me to slid past the purple One and get onto 59th St with a bit more initial steam than the gray Cooper-S. Unfortunately, he had the draft and I didn't, which allowed him to keep the lead until we got to East Dr, where I outbraked him. I passed the Cooper high headed onto 6th Ave for the last pass of the first lap, which ended in 2:13.742 and 2.3 seconds slower than the blue Cooper-S.

On lap 2, I caught up to the blue Cooper-S by the time we got to East Ave, but I hopped too much of the curb headed onto 5th Ave, and spun the right-front tire some. I ended up using the draft headed down 7th Ave to get by him as we transitioned to Broadway before 42nd St, and turned a 2:02.043 final lap into a 1.1-second win.

The results:

Me - 4:15.785
Blue Cooper-S - 4:16.198
Gray Cooper-S - 4:24.338
Cooper - timed out
Purple One - timed out
Red One - timed out

For sweeping the series, I got a total of $15,000 in cash, a British Racing Green 1970 Mini Marcos GT, and 45 A-spec points. After the obligatory trip to Tony's, I ended April with $846,418 in the bank, 350 A-spec points, 1,058.4 miles put on the various vehicles, and 3.5% complete.

Last edited:
Nice to see you back in the saddle Eggstor!

Err.....behind the wheel, I mean (with all that discussion of "tracks" and "horsepower", I mistakenly jumped to the assumption that your racing chariots had four hooves instead of four wheels).

Running the 1000 Miles Series so early in your career really does wonders for your bank account!

Good luck with the quest!
GTsail

Thanks GTsail. I've got a couple of reports backlogged, which should be going up momentarily.

FF Challenge - Tuning up the band

I could have done what I did last time and use the 147 GTA for a rather easy win, but I need some A-spec points. Because the cars in this challenge are modestly-tuned, I decided some mild tuning on my 2002 Mini Cooper-S was worth it. I ripped out the back seats as part of Stage 1 Weight Reduction ($1,100) and substituted a racing chip ($1,250) for the stock ECM, and walked into the series with a 175-hp/2,319-lb Green Machine.

Race 1 - 2 laps at Mid-Field Raceway Reverse

It was time to see what this bit of mild tuning could do, as we headed to Mid-Field. The race director was offering me 74 A-spec points if I could beat this lineup:

2000 Renault Megane 2.0 IDE Coupe
1999 Peugeot 206 S16
1997 Mitsubishi Mirage Cyborg ZR
2001 Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0 V6 24V
2003 Renault Megane 2.0 16V
Me

Lightening up the Cooper-S made it a lot more neutral, at least when I wasn't inducing full-throttle understeer, and the racing chip livened up the engine just a bit. Anyway, on to the race.

I got inside the 2003 Megane before turn A, which wasn't much appreciated by the Frenchman. I set up very wide out of turn B to pass both the Mitsubishi and the Alfa Romeo in the tunnel, and the 206 in turn C. I then darted inside the 2000 Megane in turn F, and held him off through turn G. The rest of lap 1 was uneventful, as I dashed out to a 2.2-second lead on the strength of a 1:45.768 lap.

The second lap was completely devoid of theatrics, and a 1:33.170 lap led to a 6.3-second win.

Results:

Me - 3:19.938
2000 Megane - 3:25.205
Mirage - 3:27.219
206 - 3:27.598
GTV - 3:28.88
2003 Megane - 3:30.992

It was a bit easier than I thought, but I'm not one to look a $1,500 gift in the mouth.

Race 2 - 3 laps at Suzuka East

Next up was a trip to the easiest of the Suzuka layouts. Once again, I was offered 74 A-spec points, but the lineup was a bit different this time:

2000 Renault Megane 2.0 IDE Coupe
2000 Fiat Copue Turbo Plus
2003 Opel Vectra 3.2 V6
2003 Dodge SRT4
Me

I was hoping this would be a bit more competitive, but it wasn't exactly competitive. I got by the SRT4 before the first curve, while the Coupe tried to send me all the way to the inside grass on the second curve. Still, I out-accelerated him into S curve, and got inside the 2003 Megane at the last part of that. The Vectra fell while we were headed into Dulop curve, and a 1:13.264 lap left me 1.2 seconds behind the 2000 Megane.

Lap 2 saw me take the lead on the outside of Gyaku Bank curve and a 2.9-second lead with a 1:05.801 lap. The third lap saw me stretch it out to a 7.6-second win after a 1:02.916 lap.

The results:

Me - 3:21.981
2000 Megane - 3:29.596
Vectra - 3:36.829
2003 Megane - 3:37.438
Coupe - timed out
SRT4 - timed out

Race 3 - 2 laps at Hong Kong Reverse

It was time for some Chinese, and some cars I haven't seen yet in competition. Because I've been doing so well, the A-spec reward dipped to 69 for this lineup:

2000 Fiat Punto HGT Abarth
2001 Peugeot 206cc
1997 Toyota Starlet Glanza V
1998 Alfa Romeo 166 2.5 V6 24V
Me

The course, unlike the food, is just not suited to me. It took until I got on Nathan Rd to clear the Eclipse, with the 166 falling at the end of Nathan Rd. I spun the tires headed onto the ramp to Knowlton Park Dr because I grabbed 1st gear instead of 2nd, then used the Starlet as a rolling cushion as I bounced off the inside curb headed onto Salisbury Rd. I didn't anticipate the 206 slowing so much as we headed back onto Salisbury from the waterfront, so I slammed him pretty hard. Still, I used the power of the supercharger to take 2nd just before I crossed the start/finish line in 1:56.570, 1.8 seconds behind the Punto.

On lap 2, I took the turn onto Middle Rd a bit high and left some British Racing Green paint on the guardrail (just because I had to leave something British behind in the former British colony). Still, I got a better entry onto Haiphong Rd, pulled alongside the Punto, and survived an attempted punting to take the lead headed onto Canton Rd. A 1:48.468 lap led to a 2.9-second win.

The results:

Me - 3:45.038
Punto - 3:47.915
206 - 3:48.691
Starlet - 3:49.521
Eclipse - 3:51.108
166 - timed out

Race 4 - 2 laps at Grand Valley East Normal

I returned to the Valley of Death for another run at the short version. This time, I had 81 A-spec points to look forward to if I can beat the following lineup:

2001 Peugeot 206cc
1997 Toyota Starlet Glanza V
2001 VW Lupo GTI
Me

It was definitely the Valley of Death. The Lupo cut me off headed into turn 1, then the Megane dived into me headed into turn 2. Still, I passed both of them, as well as the Starlet, by the time we came out of turn 2. I decided not to punt the GTV in turn 5, but the Lupo and Starlet had no such qualms with each other. Back towards the front of the pack, I took turn 7 tighter than the GTV to take over 2nd in the tunnnel, then passed the 206 for the lead in turn 10. A 1:35.611 lap allowed me to take a 0.6-second lead.

I completed lap 2 without any drama, but I can't say the same about some of the competition. The 206 took turn 7 too wide and scraped the tire barrier protecting the right-side tunnel wall, while the Lupo and Glanza jousted from turn 7 until the Glanza finally shoved the Lupo into the outside grass on turn 9. A smooth 1:0.937 lap let me win by 5.1 seconds.

The results:

Me - 2:56.548
206cc - 3:01.625
GTV 3:02.665
Starlet - 3:03.487
Lupo - 3:04.615
Megane - 3:05.282

Race 5 - 2 laps at Twin Ring Motegi East

I guess since we're short cars, we got shutned off onto yet another short course. The lineup, for another 81 A-spec points:

2003 Dodge SRT4
1007 Mitsubishi Mirage Cyborg ZR
2001 VW Lupo GTI
Me

For some reason, the auto-drive before the start didn't accelerate until very late, causing me to start slowly. I blame that and a bit of over exuberance for clipping the Lupo as I went by him in turn 2. I beat the Mirage in a drag race between turns 4 and 5, then dove under the SRT4 coming out of 5 and drove by the Megane on the outside exiting 130R. I completed the passing by diving under the GTV heading into the hairpin, and the 1:55.244 lap left me 1.1 seconds ahead.

On lap 2, I had a bit of drama as I slid off the rumble strips on the outside of the exit of S curve across the track, but I kept things straight and managed to clock a 1:46.257 lap and a 8.0-second win.

The results:

Me - 3:41.501
GTV - 3:49.531
Megane - 3:51.562
SRT4 - 3:52.270
Lupo - 3:52.736
Mirage - 3:54.472

The series win was a lot easier than I anticipated. In addition to the $7,500 total for taking every race of the series, Mazda forked over a Fuoco Giallo (a fancy name for yellow) 2001 Mazda6 Concept. After the usual trip to Tony's, that left me with $851,468 in the bank.

Last edited:
FR Challenge - Ready, aim, Crossfire!

Nothing I already had in the garage looked like good candidates against the late-90s Japanese sports cars, so I decided to grab something else. Last time, I waited until I won the 2002 Chevrolet Silverado SST Concept, then dominated the competition. This time, since I would eventually need the 2004 Chrysler Crossfire for its own one-make series, I walked over to the Chrysler dealership and walked out of there with a Graphite Metallic edition for $35,670. The usual Tony Special was applied for another $100 because I knew, or at least thought, I would need every bit of horsepower.

Race 1 - 2 laps at Seattle reverse

A look at the lineup, and especially the 136 A-spec points being offered for a win, confirmed that I would be outgunned in the horsepower department:

Black 2004 Chrysler Crossfire
1998 Nissan Sileighty
2005 Chrysler 300C
2005 BMW 330i
1998 Nissan 300ZX 2by2 (Z32)
Me

What I lacked in horsepower, I picked up in Mopar-badged German engineering brought in while Chrysler was owned by Daimler-Benz. The suspension, while a bit of a plow especially when the wing is extended at speed, had tenacious grip. The 6-speed transmission was very-nearly perfectly matched to the engine.

Back to the race...I dove underneath the 300ZX headed onto Royal Brougham Way and the 330i headed onto 4th Ave S. At the end of 2nd Ave Ext S, I outbraked the 300C onto Yesler Way. The Sileighty and I drag-raced all the way down James St, catching air after crossing 3rd Ave and 2nd Ave, and since he had more horses, he beat me onto Yesler Way. A better racing line allowed me to take 2nd just before Spring St, which led to a 2:04.980 lap, 1.4 seconds behind my higher-powered twin.

I did catch up to the black Crossfire by 4th Ave S, but he proved he had more horsepower while we headed up the street. I proved I had less fear as I took the lead the same way I passed the 300C, while he tried to put me in the guardrail. Maybe if he raced the track instead of trying to make me part of the track, he would have kept the lead, but I got by and closed out the race with a 1:56.745 lap and a 3.1-second win.

The results:

Me - 4:01.725
Black Crossfire - 4:04.840
Sileighty - 4:06.624
300C - 4:11.376
330i - 4:16.410
300ZX - timed out

I could have swore these guys had a minimum of 290 horsepower. Oh well; $1,500 for 4 minutes of work is easy.

Race 2 - 3 laps at Tsukuba

It was the Japan vs Chrysler show, as the race director was offering 122 A-spec points. The lineup was:

Black 2004 Chrysler Crossfire
1998 Nissan 300ZX 2seater (Z32)
2002 Nissan Skyline Sedan 350GT-B
1997 Lexus SC300
Chrysler 300C
Me

I tried to drive by the 300C on the inside exiting turn 1, but I didn't have the horsepower to make it stick before he slammed me in the second half of the esses. Instead, I got on the gas a bit earlier than I really should have in turn 3 to finish off the Chrysler-v-Chrysler battle. I used the outside of turn 5 to pass the SC300, and finished the lap in 4th at the 1:14.604 mark, 2.9 seconds behind my twin.

On lap 2, I did the "bonzai dive" into turn 1 to get past the Skyline, and tried to do the same to the 300ZX in turn 3 but couldn't quite make it stick. Instead, I got by just before turn 4. The 1:08.620 lap left me 1.6 seconds behind the other Crossfire.

On lap 3, I again called upon the "bonzai dive" to get by the black Crossfire in turn 7. After I denied him the benefit of a slipstream, I turned a 1:07.158 lap, winning by 0.4 seconds.

The results:

Me - 3:30.382
Black Crossfire - 3:30.816
300ZX - 3:35.128
Skyline - 3:36.614
SC300 - 3:39.797
300C - 3:40.238

Race 3 - 2 laps at Special Stage Route 5 Normal

Gray car, meet gray city. The twin-less lineup, for 120 A-spec points, was:

2005 Chrysler 300C
2005 BMW 330i
1997 Lexus SC300
2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe
2003 Mazda RX-8
Me

The traffic was horrid in the city. I got by the RX-8 headed into turn 3, but while in there, the G35 refused to let me off the bottom. I had to wait until the straight between turns 6 and 7 to get a nose ahead of him, but he decided to be whiny about it and t-bone me in turn 7 before finally giving up the position. I had to apply the chrome horn a couple of times to a balky SC300 before I could get by him in turn 12. I ended the lap 3rd in 1:56.934, 2.5 seconds behind the 300C and hounding the 330i.

On lap 2, I completed the pass on the 330i when he braked way early before the tunnel. I did brake a bit late, but gathered it up before hitting the wall, and set my sights on the 300C. I got to his inside of turn 4, and he decided to give me a not-so-celebratory tap for my trouble. No matter - a 1:44.802 final lap let me win by 1.7 seconds.

The results:

Me - 3:41.736
300C - 3:43.396
330i - 3:47.439
SC300 - 3:48.105
RX-8 - 3:48.596
G35 - 3:49.992

Race 4 - 2 laps at Laguna Seca

If a track has "Corkscrew" as one of its corner names, it has to be fun, right? The following cars joined me for a 2-lap romp, while the race director offered up 135 A-spec points for a win:

1998 Nissan 300ZX 3-seater (Z32)
1998 BMW M Coupe
1991 Nissan Skyline GTS-t Type M
2004 Honda S2000
White 2004 Chrysler Crossfire
Me

Much like at Twing Ring Motegi East, the pre-start auto-drive was slow off the mark. I couldn't get alongside the white Crossfire until turn 5, and I barely beat him into turn 6. I used a wild, yet clean line through the Corkscrew to get by the S2000, slid inside the Skyline in turn 10, and outraced the M Coupe into turn 11, making the outside work. A 1:57.357 lap left me 1.5 seconds behind the 300ZX.

A devil-may-care approach to driving allowed me to close up to the 300ZX's bumper by turn 4, and we ended up drag racing off of turn 5. For once, a car respected the fact I had the preferred line, and the 300ZX let me get into turn 6 first. He almost got the lead back in the Corkscrew, but I had the better exit. The 1:46.780 lap led to a 3.2-second win.

The results:

Me - 3:44.137
300ZX - 3:47.310
Skyline - 3:49.371
M Coupe - 3:52.790
S2000 - 3:53.975
White Crossfire - 3:54.823

Race 5 - 4 laps at Motorland Reverse

I found myself wondering why we were at the tightest track on the circuit, especialy with a full-sized car in the lineup. Oh well; I can't let 123 A-spec points go to waste, so we lined up as follows:

White 2004 Chrysler Crossfire
1998 Nissan 300ZX 2seater (Z32)
2005 BMW 330i
2002 Mercedes SL 500 (R230)
1998 BMW M Coupe
Me

I followed the M Coupe by the SL 500 coming out of turn A, then overcooked it coming out of turn C alongside the M Coupe and activated the lawnmower blades in turn D. Fortunately, he decided to let me hold onto the position. I cut inside the 330i in turn F to take 3rd, and hounded the 300ZX to finish the lap in 3rd at the 54.140-second mark, 1.1 seconds behind the white Crossfire.

On lap 2, I used the outside of turn A to pass the 300ZX, and finished the lap in 48.821 seconds, 1.6 seconds back.

I closed to hounding distance of my twin by turn E of lap 3, but once again, decided the grass was too long, this time on the outside of turn F. I set up on the left side coming out of turn K, and after a 49.626-second lap, I trailed by a door (0.06 seconds).

On the final lap, I made the inside position work in turn A to take the lead, and turned a 49.121-second last lap into a 1.3-second win.

The results:

Me - 3:22.708
White Crossfire - 3:23.001
300ZX - 3:27.830
330i - 3:32.557
SL 500 - 3:33.854
M Coupe - 3:35.391

Besides taking home $7,500 for winning every race, I picked up a Caroline Red 1967 Nissan Skyline 2000GT-B (S54A). With the usual $100 treatment by Tony, I have $823,098 left in the bank.

Midget II Race - Who let the mini-pickups out?

Since it was May 13 of Year 1, the last day I could pick up the lowest-mileage 1998 Daihatsu Midget II D-type (outside the elusive 6.2-mile version), and I needed one to do this race before I got my B license, I plunked down $3,730 for an Emerald Green Metallic model with 19,766.8 miles on the odometer. After the trip to Tony's, I was left with $819,268 in my pocket.

I still had the Motorland layout fresh in my mind, so I decided to go for the one-race title against a rainbow of fellow Midget IIs. I was told beating this particular rainbow 4 times around the reverse layout (gee, didn't I just do this?) would get me $2,000 and 60 A-spec points:

White
Red
Yellow
Gray
Me

The word of the day is SLOW - slow shifting, slow engine response, slow lap times. At least there wasn't any real handling quirks.

I got inside the purple Midget at turn E, and almost had him cleared in turn F when he decided to bodyslam me. I used the inside to get by the gray Midget in turn H, and the very-inside (I think I still had 2 tires on the track) to get by the yellow Midget in turn J. A 1:05.561 lap left me in 3rd, 2.2 seconds behind the white Midget.

On lap 2, I got alongside of, and indeed a piece of, the red Midget coming out of turn K. I didn't quite get the job done, but the 1:01.263 lap left me but 0.9 seconds behind the white Midget.

I completed the pass for 2nd on the outside of turn A, and went to the lead on the inside of turn J. The 1:00.933 lap ended with me 0.5 seconds ahead.

Lap 4 was quite boring, and the 1:00.962 closing lap time was good enough for a 1.4-second win.

The results:

Me - 4:08.719
White - 4:10.143
Red - 4:11.515
Gray - 4:13.696
Yellow - 4:15.067
Purple - 4:16.095

Well, I didn't quite get back my investment, but I got a bona-fide museum piece in the form of a Midget Cream 1963 Daihatsu Midget. In fact, it's such a museum piece, Tony refused to touch it. Oh well; as of May 16, Year 1, I have $821,268 in the bank, 1,425 A-spec points and 1,107.9 miles in the logbook, and 5.4% complete on the game clock.

Last edited:
A3 Cup - Spinning all tires

Looking over the stats, I knew neither of the 4WD cars on my "must-buy" list, the 2003 Audi A3 3.2 quattro or the 2003 Audi TT Coupe 3.2 quattro, nor the beast of a pickup, the 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie Hemi Quad Cab, could win the 4WD Challenge without work. Since I'm more "frugal" than "cheap", I decided to avoid the Ram and its expensive, though highly-effective, upgrade process and forgo the "cheap" 200 A-spec domination route.

Fortunately, the A3 offered a less-expensive way to get a vehicle worthy of the 4WD Challenge, the three-race A3 Cup, which offered as its car prize the 2003 Audi Pikes Peak quattro. Of course, that car was a bit of overkill the first time, and I might decide to beef up the A3 some this time, but first, I had to get through the A3 Cup. Since this is the NTSC version, I had but one choice because the lighter 2002 Audi S3 can't be used. Off to the Audi dealership I went, and $42,490 later (plus $100 to Tony for the usual treatment), I returned with a Brilliant Black 2003 Audi A3 3.2 quattro.

Race 1 - 3 laps at Suzuka East

On my way back from Tony's, I realized that the first time I went through this, I didn't need to do anything else to the A3 to secure this championship, so I left the A3 stock for right now. Off to Suzuka I went for three laps around the East short course at Suzuka. The lineup, for 45 A-spec points, was:

Blue A3
Yellow A3
Dark blue A3
Red A3
Silver A3
Me

The A3 is a fun, though vexing car to drive. It has the usual 4WD full-throttle understeer, but the chassis is set up for no-throttle oversteer. Because all four wheels are turning, there is no wheelspin on launch.

I went deep to the inside to avoid the inevitable traffic jam heading off the line. It was a good decision because, as I passed the silver A3, he dove to the middle of the track. I also got by the red A3 and pulled alongside the dark blue A3 before First Curve. Of course, the red A3 was angry and tapped me. Still, I made my position count as I got by the dark blue A3 coming out of the corner. As I passed the yellow A3 between Second Curve and S Curve, he tried to push me off the track to the right, but couldn't. After a faster exit from Last Curve, I nipped the blue A3 at the line for a 0.05-second lead after a 1:08.843 lap.

The last two laps were boring, with a 1:02.306 and a 1:01.771 closing out a 8.0-second win.

The results:

Me - 3:12.920
Blue A3 - 3:20.893
Yellow A3 - 3:23.386
Dark blue A3 - 3:25.071
Red A3 - 3:26.400
Silver A3 - 3:27.514

That was a very-easy $2,000.

Race 2 - 2 laps at Mid-Field Normal

Honestly, this is my least-favorite track. I just never can find any rhythm here. Oh well; I have to battle the following to get my 45 A-spec points:

Gray A3
Silver A3
Red A3
Yellow A3
Wine red A3
Me

I didn't get a great launch off the line, but still passed the wine red A3 on the front straight. I clipped the yellow A3 heading into 3, but finished the pass anyway. After beating the red A3 into turn 5, I sort of lost rhythm as I couldn't catch the silver A3 until turn 11, where I inexplicably left some black paint on his driver's side door. That little exchange didn't seem to hurt my exit, as I used that and a draft to catch the gray A3 just before the line and complete a 1:44.026 lap for a 0.2-second lead.

Lap 2 was boring, and a 1:31.577 time was good for a 4.4-second win.

The results:

Me - 3:15.603
Gray A3 - 3:19.993
Silver A3 - 3:20.882
Red A3 - 3:21.423
Yellow A3 - 3:21.972
Wine red A3 - 3:22.720

Did I mention this was my least-favorite track?

Race 3 - 2 laps at Laguna Seca

I would have thought at least one race would be at Nurburgring since this is an all-German lineup, but instead I get 2 laps in California against this lineup for 45 A-spec points:

reen A3
Red A3
Gray A3
Silver A3
Wine red A3
Me

Unlike the last time I was here, the auto-drive pre-start was actually a good one. The wine red A3 dared me to dive inside him in the Andretti hairpin, but I didn't take the bait. Instead, I drove by between there and turn 3. I got inside the silver A3 headed into 5, and just before I cleared him, he decided he wanted my line. Lesson to the wise - don't bonzai into the Corkscrew with a bunch of slow B-spec Bobs on the track - I cleared the gray A3 nicely, but as I got alongside the red A3, he didn't adjust his line to account for the fact that I was using a faster line. Speaking of differing lines, I didn't anticipate the green A3 coming all the way back up in turn 11 and caught a piece of his rear bumper as we were exiting. A 1:57.599 lap saw me 0.2 seconds behind the green A3.

I didn't hear anything about not cutting across the white line onto pit exit in the drivers' meeting, so I used that to get by the green A3 for the lead to start lap 2. A closing 1:47.939 lap led to a 4.6-second win.

The results:

Me - 3:45.538
Green A3 - 3:50.162
Red A3 - 3:54.148
Gray A3 - 3:55.330
Silver A3 - 3:57.002
Wine red A3 - 3:58.623

In addition to the $6,000 I got for winning the three races, I picked up a Polar Silver 2003 Audi Pikes Peak quattro. Despite it being a show car, Tony was more than happy to do his $100 magic to it.

Back