The "I barely missed the cut" Venting Thread

United States
United States
coastiespeed
I thought I'd make a thread where everyone can vent who didn't make the cut. Looking back on it I should've stuck to the DS3 the whole time.

A very generous GTP Member donated his DFGT to me about a month ago or so. This was my first exp with a wheel. I've spent the past month practicing and trying to improve my skilz with it however in the end all of my best times were with the DS3. I was usually a second or so slower with the wheel. I think the most important thing i've taken away from the competition is that now I have learned a great deal of patience when it comes to skimming
1/10ths off of a lap. I never found joy in that before this competition and I've been playing the GT Series from day one!

Good luck to all of you who've made round 2! Sorry I couldn't join you!

picture.php

...FYI i just edited the screenshot so you could see that I was in the southeast region...

Even if you didn't make the cut, still placing in top 200 is still quite the accomplishment considering that the transition from pad to wheel is in my opinion takes a bit. Learning throttle control and such. Luckily I didn't play that much, I played the first week. Then the last two days, just worked on my times and fortunately I placed. But for the future, try to get a DFGT and practice everyday. When the next GTA hits, you will be well prepared for it my friend. Cheers!

Even if you didn't make the cut, still placing in top 200 is still quite the accomplishment considering that the transition from pad to wheel is in my opinion takes a bit.

+1. Good job man, and at least you got out there and competed. A lot of people never even go for it. You'll get better with practice, keep going!

You gotta look at it this way. I placed 790 in the NE and 3300 something in the country. Considering there were over 50,000 registered entrants that puts me in the top 6% of all players in the country.

Yeah it sucks I didn't make it through, sucks for you too, but if I'm in the top 6% you're in the top 2%, thats pretty damn good and a gaming accomplishment to be proud of.

Was 107th in the west on Friday night with my 5:16.152 time and thought I had a lock for round 2, but saw my position continually drop throughout the weekend. Didn't have time until the final 2 hours last night but couldn't find another .3 seconds on cape ring and finished 140th. My goal was only to make round 2 since I entered this competition with very little previous practice. But still very disappointed that I didn't advance to round 2. Would've been fun to just have the opportunity to continue to compete. Goodluck to those in round 2.

I got burnt from procrastinating. I could of easily got into top 128 in NE region if I hadf put the time in. But nope, I waited until 10pm last night to put in my final laps. .6 away from top 128 with a 1'23" at Rome.... Total of 5-6 hours put into the event overall. I hope this helps me break my habit of putting things off until the last minute. Good luck in the 2nd round guys.

On Sunday morning I changed the setting on my DFGT from Simulation to Professional and immediately dropped a little more than a second at the Cape, and .3 at Rome. I plateaued quickly after that. Was at 275 in the NE, and 1265 nationally at the time. Ended up at 297, and 1310 respectively. Tried putting some laps last night after the football games, but couldn't even match my previous times. Oh well. It was a lot of fun even if I didn't move on.

Was 107th in the west on Friday night with my 5:16.152 time and thought I had a lock for round 2, but saw my position continually drop throughout the weekend. Didn't have time until the final 2 hours last night but couldn't find another .3 seconds on cape ring and finished 140th. My goal was only to make round 2 since I entered this competition with very little previous practice. But still very disappointed that I didn't advance to round 2. Would've been fun to just have the opportunity to continue to compete. Goodluck to those in round 2.

The west was stacked out to 128th place. I came in 135th, I missed 128th by .048. My 5:15.947 would have put me in the top 50 or so in any other region. Wish they would have split the west into south and north. Oh well, had lots of fun. I really like the Cape contrary to what others are saying. Dislike Rome and Tsubuka.:).

Look forward to some online racing now!

On Sunday morning I changed the setting on my DFGT from Simulation to Professional and immediately dropped a little more than a second at the Cape, and .3 at Rome. I plateaued quickly after that. Was at 275 in the NE, and 1265 nationally at the time. Ended up at 297, and 1310 respectively. Tried putting some laps last night after the football games, but couldn't even match my previous times. Oh well. It was a lot of fun even if I didn't move on.

Are you sure that was the setting for the DFGT? I thought that setting could not be adjusted for the DFGT, only applied to the G25/G27.

This was a big learning experience for me (my first post as well). GT5 is the first I've pushed myself to get all golds on the licences and specials. But that meant I intentionally put off the the academy, thinking I didn't have the experience yet to crack the top 128 (north-east), let alone come remotely close.

I got all golds by last week (funny how you can be level 25 without doing pro, expert or extreme events) and I better noticed all my flaws in my first effortless attempts at the academy. I only started to get serious at the academy this last weekend.

Now I too have the appreciation for tenth-of-a-second improvement. I was 390th going into Friday, 275th Saturday, 190th Sunday, and by 11PM I hit 147th north-east. Surprisingly, my heart was pounding but I saw I ran out of time. That felt terrible, just terrible.

I was garbage at Tsukuba, surprisingly stout at Rome, but at the end of the day, I was 5 tenths off at Cape Ring, and I couldn't improve in <60 mins. I still look forward to improving my game (and the Red Bull X1 too)

Last edited:
That's adjustable on the DFGT as well.

Wow, didn't know that. Not sure what I've been driving on this whole time...lol

What is the "recomended" setting for best performance? What are the differences among settings? Strange, I feel like th DFGT wheel was not highlighted when choosing those settings. Guess I missed it!

Thanks for letting me know-

Wow, didn't know that. Not sure what I've been driving on this whole time...lol

What is the "recomended" setting for best performance? What are the differences among settings? Strange, I feel like th DFGT wheel was not highlighted when choosing those settings. Guess I missed it!

Thanks for letting me know-

I had my DFGT set at a Force Feedback of 8, then saw a post by Choate where he had it at 5 ...tried that, it seemed to shave some time off (easier to turn the wheel w/o all that heaviness).

Took some time getting used to though. 👍

Yep it&#8217;s close but no cigar for me also, missed it by .7 in the west at 159th overall. With a 5:16.663 :(

Last edited:
Ranking.jpg

130th in the Midwest.... I didn't play much and just started at Cape Ring on Saturday. I was sitting around 200 until Sunday evening when I finally watched a replay and tweaked my driving style, dropped nearly 2 seconds with an hour to go last night. The fastest lap I managed at Cape ring happened with 5 mins to go til deadline, but ended in a very poor exit out of the last turn which lost at least 7/10 of a second on... very frustrating. I ran a few laps after close and dropped into low 2:48.

I should have started on Cape Ring earlier and watched a replay sooner! Missing the cut by this little is very very very frustrating. The fact that my Fanatec doesn't get full throttle and only 80% on the brake sensor is even more reason for me to be irate about this!

Last edited:
Yep it’s close but no cigar for me also, missed it by .7 in the west at 159th overall. With a 5:16.663 :(

I was rootin' for you man. Us over 50's need all the support we can get :cheers:.

Truth is I was pretty smug about the whole affair last Thursday. I had put down a better time at Rome and was at 44 in the West with a 5:15.4. Pretty much was done at that point. Sunday late afternoon I pulled up the rankings and I was getting passed so fast I thought I would have to get my gear out and do some laps to get into round 2. Finally settled at 75 I think. The guys out here were lighting it up.

I am going to get slaughtered here next week so I'm sure who got the worst of the deal.

I went from 200+ to 95 in 2 days. I scheduled my time so that all my attention was devoted to GT Academy. The trick was bringing my Cape Ring time down. I must have gained 3-4 seconds. I feel bad for the people that did not have the time because that is what this all came down to.

I had my DFGT set at a Force Feedback of 8, then saw a post by Choate where he had it at 5 ...tried that, it seemed to shave some time off (easier to turn the wheel w/o all that heaviness).

Took some time getting used to though. 👍

I saw the same post. That's what made me look at my settings in the first place. Mine was at 5, I moved it to 6, and from sim to pro. Which seemed to keep me from turning in too quickly at the kink at Rome, and smoothed things out through the sweepers at the Cape.

I noticed a lot of people made improvements over the last weekend. I was shooting to shave off 1 second at the start of the weekend. By the time I sat down on Sunday to grind off some time, I was down by 2.5 seconds. I was able to get another 1/2 second off my time but that was all I could do.

The Tsukuba times amaze me the most. I seriously could not perform controlled slides around the corners and more power to those that could. Rome was really about the kink and proper braking zones. I should've been able to improve my time there but I didn't spend enough on it. Cape ring was about driving line and precision. There were some tough quick brake turns that I couldn't build up consistency with. Given the length of the track I would gain and lose time all over the place.

I managed #190 in the Northeast which is pretty decent for being a GT novice (haven't played driving sims in years). However I'm guessing a good chunk of the 50,000 competitors didn't put nearly the amount of time into this that I did. I'd love to see a break down of times vs hours spent achieving those times.

My television went out with about 5 days left and I was sitting about 95 in the midwest. I just had to watch as I fell out of the top 125 over the final weekend. I ended up around 153 at the end of round 1.

same here...was sitting at 70th in the NE on Friday...went out of town and watched my time drop to 140 by Sunday...then only had 1 hour to improve my time, managed to shave about .5 off my cape time but TC killed me...i hate that track and PD are obsessed with it

i just wanted to see what the next set of tracks were going to be...good luck in the 2nd round

Back