The Inaugural 50's Classics Championship [Updated with R03 QF]

• Thread starter Guffaluff
  • 10 comments
Iceland
Iceland
Guffaluff
Hello all and welcome to my fantasy 50's Classics Championship. This will be run using Custom Race and is solely done for my own amusement, but I figured I'd share it here with you guys. So feel free to comment and follow this thread! :)
----

Introduction
Upon us is the first season in the 50's Classics Championship. The Championship has been brewing for quite some time, but is finally underway. For this inaugural season there will be 15 drivers on the grid in 5 manufacturer teams, who will battle it out for both the driver's and manufacturer's title. The first season will be raced on four different venues in Europe, each race running for 30 minutes. Further expansion of the series in the pipeline if it goes well, so the organizers need this first season to go well to attract more sponsorships!

Teams & Drivers
As mentioned above, there are 5 manufacturer teams, each bringing 3 drivers, for a total of 15 drivers on the grid. They are as follows:

- FERRARI -
1659713721623.png

Car Model: Ferrari 500 Mondial Pinin Farina Coupe '54
Drivers: Luigi Musso / Juan Manuel Fangio / Guffi Thorvalds
Strengths: Cornering/Grip
Weakness: Straight line speed

- ASTON MARTIN -
1659713586735.png

Car Model:
Aston Martin DB3S '53
Drivers: Stirling Moss / Jim Clark / Jack Brabham
Strengths: Straight line speed
Weakness: Cornering/Grip

- JAGUAR -
1659713683890.png

Car Model:
Jaguar D-type '54
Drivers: Peter Whitehead / Peter Walker / Tony Rolt
Strengths: Straight line speed
Weakness: Cornering/Grip

- PORSCHE -
1659713696768.png

Car Model:
Porsche Spyder type 550/1500RS '55
Drivers: Richard von Frankenberg / Wolfgang von Trips / Hans Herrmann
Strengths: Balanced
Weakness: Balanced

- CHEVROLET -
1659713708973.png

Car Model:
Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Racer Concept '59
Drivers: Bob Sweikert / Jimmy Bryan / Fred Agabashian
Strengths: Straight line speed (minor advantage)
Weakness:
Cornering (minor disadvantage)
-------
SEASON CALENDAR
Race #1:
Brands Hatch GP
Race #2: Goodwood
Race #3: Sainte-Croix B

Race #4: Nordschleife
-------

RACE SETUP
Obviously I will run this through Custom Races in the game using the custom grid and AI opponents feature. Before each race I will randomize the grid order to "simulate" qualifying. As per the driver listings above, I'll be driving for Ferrari alongside Musso and Fangio ( :D ).

Each car is equipped with a setup sheet at ca. 510PP, using default tires. Reason for that is that the custom races put the cars on default tires, unless they're put on RH tires, which I do not want for these cars. Therefore the Ferrari is on SH, Aston and Jaguar on CM, and Porsche and Chevy on CS.

There will be points for the top 12 places, leaving the bottom three out of points. The point system is as follows:
25 > 20 > 17 > 13 > 11 > 9 > 7 > 5 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 0 > 0 > 0

For the race settings, these are the most noteworthy:

• Boost Weak (as advised in the Custom Race thread)
  • Tirewear 1x
  • Fuel Deplation 1x
  • Slipstream real
  • Corner cutting strong
  • Contact penalty on
  • Flag rules on
  • Weather always random
  • 10x time acceleration
  • AI difficulty at Professional
  • Grip red. real
  • Mechanical damage light

After each race I'll post comment with updates of the rankings and stuff, and on the bottom here I'll link to each relevant comment for ease of access if anyone stumbles on this thread late ;)

Hope you guys will enjoy!
----------------------
ROUND 1: BRANDS HATCH
Qualifying
Race Results

ROUND 2: GOODWOOD
Qualifying
Race Results

ROUND 3: SAINTE-CROIX
Qualifying

Last edited:
1st Round: Brands Hatch GP / UK
Part 1/2: Qualifying

---------------
Qualifying Results:
1. Fred Agabashian / Chevrolet
2. Jim Clark / Aston Martin
3. Jack Brabham / Aston Martin
4. Juan Manuel Fangio / Ferrari
5. Peter Walker / Jaguar
6. Guffi Thorvalds / Ferrari
7. Stirling Moss / Aston Martin
8. Richard von Frankenberg / Porsche
9. Hans Herrmann / Porsche
10. Jimmy Bryan / Chevrolet
11. Bob Sweikert / Chevrolet
12. Peter Whitehead / Jaguar
13. Luigi Musso / Ferrari
14. Wolfgang von Trips / Porsche
15. Tony Rolt / Jaguar
---------------
It was Fred Agabashian for Team Chevrolet that took pole at Brands Hatch. However, Aston Martin were locked in and have all three cars in the top half, including Jim Clark and Jack Brabham in P2 and 3.

Disappointing results for Porsche, with all three cars in the bottom half, in P8, P9 and P14. They have to prove their worth on raceday to try and scrape some points together.

Who are you putting your money on for the first ever race victory in this championship? Let us know! Follow this thread to keep up to date! :D

(I will run the race hopefully tonight/tomorrow night)

Last edited:
1st Round: Brands Hatch GP / UK
Part 2/2: Race Results

---------------
1657932644688.png

1657933620867.png
1657932786989.png

So that's a wrap! The 1st round of the 50's Classics Championship is in the books. As is evident by the results, Brands Hatch was a great fit for the Ferraris, with all three finishing in the Top 5 with a net gain of 13 places between the three drivers, including a whooping 8 places gained by Luigi Musso, after a lackluster qualifying. I took the win, despite a Lap 9 drama where I spun out from the lead and dropped to P5, but with a solid drive capitalizing on the Ferrari's strengths, I reclaimed the lead and took the win. With Brands Hatch being a low speed technical track, the Ferraris were favored going into the race, and this was likely their best shot at banking big points for all drivers, and they surely took advantage of it and now hold a early lead in the Manufacturers standings.

Aston Martin and Chevrolet both turned in some good points, with Fred Agabashian (Chevrolet) and Jim Clark (Aston Martin) rounding out the podium. But it was Jaguar and Porsche that probably want to forget all about this race. Jaguar only scored 7 points in total, but they can celebrate considering that the three Porsches occupied the bottom three, and therefore coming out of this first round with zero points.

Next round coming up is at Goodwood. Qualifying results will follow shortly, so stay tuned!

Last edited:
2nd Round: Goodwood / UK

---------------
1657933930160.png

The qualifying results for Goodwood are in, and again it's Chevrolet that takes pole position! This time it was Jimmy Bryan that was fastest over a single lap, with Jack Brabham next to him on the front row. Peter Whitehead and Bob Sweikert take 2nd row.

Porsche showing better pace at Goodwood then at Brands with a better qualifying, but they need to gain some places in the race to get themselves into contention.

Goodwood is a fairly fast and flowing circuit with no room for error, so it'll be very interesting to see how the race develops.

This is fun! I'll follow the story too. However, my bet is on Ferrari solely on tyre advantage 😉
Thanks! Glad some of you are liking this Gran Turismo role playing :D

Ferrari are likely for sure, gonna run these four races and make some adjustments to the cars after that, see if I can balance them better! :)

2nd Round: Goodwood / UK
Part 2/2: Race Results

---------------
1658080867466.png

1658080891198.png

A very strong weekend for Chevrolet! Jimmy Bryan takes Chevrolet's maiden win from Pole position, with his teammate Bob Sweikert in P2, securing a perfect 1-2 finish for the team! This was not a easy win by any means. Entering the final lap, the top 3 were Brabham, Bryan and Fangio, in this order, but we got quite a scrap in the final lap as can be seen be the final results!
1658081840114.png

(Jimmy Bryan crossing the finish line for the race win!)

Last round's winner, myself, had a torrid race as I kept making mistakes and going off track. The biggest blow was in the later stages of the race where I spun out of the chicane and lost loads of time. Most of the race I was scrapping in 10-13th place, fighting for the bottom end of the points, but in the end I failed to score any in P13. Fortunately for the team, Fangio was in good form and just missed the podium, but finished P5 with Musso behind him in P6.

Porsche had another disappointing showing while scoring their first points, with von Trips in P11. The team has their work cut out for them but it must be considered unlikely that any significant improvements can be made during the season. Jaguar also slightly improved from last race, scoring a total of 11 points this round.

It's becoming pretty clear that this championship is a three horse race, between Chevrolet, Ferrari and Aston Martin. Those three teams are now seperated by only 9 points, with Chevrolet occupying the top place after a dream race weekend for them at Goodwood.

Stick around, as for the 3rd round we will travel to France and race at Sainte-Croix B. Expect the qualifying results to appear in this thread later tonight.

@Famine, can see this thread was moved here (league racing sub-forum). However, this is not a league or online racing, but my messing abouts with custom races, sharing the results for my own and others amusements. Feel having this thread in here will just cause confusion :).

If you disagree, I shall not object any further

EDIT: Thread moved back to general forum, thank you mods :)

Last edited:
3rd Round: Sainte-Croix/ France

-----------
1658104594782.png

Here we have the QF results for the 3rd round of the championship. We are now in France to take on the tricky and fast circuit of Sainte-Croix. Ferrari might be at a disadvantage due to long straights, and it doesn't help them that they did not do well in qualifying.

Porsche and Jaguar were rumored to bring upgrades to their engines and suspension, which turned out to be true! According to their spokesperson, they just managed to get it ready in time, and the results do not disappoint. Frankenberg takes pole position for Porsche, and Peter Walker right behind him in P2 for Jaguar. Fred Agabashian keeps up the good work and claims P3.

It will be very interesting to see how the race pans out, and if Porsche and Jaguar can capitalize on this newfound pace and leave France with a good haul of points under their belt. We will find out soon, so stay tuned!

Back