The is PSVR2 faster thread..

• Thread starter UrbnRzqr
  • 22 comments
Canada
Canada
This has been the big debate if lap times will improve and potentially race consistency and more. Yamauchi says GT7 was designed for PSVR2 but sales after preorders may depend on whether it makes you faster or how immersive it can potentially be. Not sure how much I would use VR if I sacrifice lap times but if they were to improve it would be incredible!!

The only issue I've had with my headset is having to readjust eye tracking before each use, can be done in under a minute. I've only been able to use Horizon in VR no other games have been updated.

Hoping we could use this thread to maximize settings in cockpit view and possibly other setup tips/tweaks on the headset.

Highly doubt VR will improve anything except immersion. You are locked to a cockpit cam and while you can reposition yourself within that virtual seat, that is about it. Will be the standard GT7 experience for better or for worse

Won't be better than hood or bumper cams for sure, as those give you the absolute best visibility to see corner apexes and braking points.

The immersion is the selling point of PSVR2. ... Which is why I keep saying it's a niche thing, and barely anyone from the GT7 playerbase will waste 600€ on it just for that.

But I won't deny that playing with that + wheel + no HUD would be an amazing experience. I tried it for about 10 minutes at Lisbon GamesWeek for GT Sport and I loved the experience, and PSVR2 will be on another level.
Endurance races would be quite the sight with the weather and daytime changes as well at Le Mans/Nurburgring.

Highly doubt VR will improve anything except immersion. You are locked to a cockpit cam and while you can reposition yourself within that virtual seat, that is about it. Will be the standard GT7 experience for better or for worse
Won't be better than hood or bumper cams for sure, as those give you the absolute best visibility to see corner apexes and braking points.

The immersion is the selling point of PSVR2. ... Which is why I keep saying it's a niche thing, and barely anyone from the GT7 playerbase will waste 600€ on it just for that.

But I won't deny that playing with that + wheel + no HUD would be an amazing experience. I tried it for about 10 minutes at Lisbon GamesWeek for GT Sport and I loved the experience, and PSVR2 will be on another level.
Endurance races would be quite the sight with the weather and daytime changes as well at Le Mans/Nurburgring.
Hmmm Isn't having cockpit view right next to your eyes eliminate the disadvantage it had to hood/bumper cam... Guess this is the debate til launch.

Stick an accomplished (real world) driver into GT7 and they'll be all over the place with braking points, track position, and so on if they aren't familiar with sims. I see it all the time whenever family or friends try out a sim. It looks like a game, so they play it like one. Put them into PS VR2 and they'll adapt instantly by applying their real world skills, spacial awareness, sense of danger etc.

As for Aliens, no I don't think PS VR2 will make them quicker. Like all high level players, their speed comes from an ability to hit markers, perfect lines, and have unbelievable consistency.

For us regular players, I think the overwhelming majority play for the pleasure of driving cars, and the immersion that comes from that. Speed will come with familiarity. I'll take the increased immersion everyday of the week.

There’s no such thing as cockpit cam in VR. You’re just sat in the car. The traditional camera views are irrelevant when you’re sat In the car.

All traditional camera views are limiting in some way.
You’ll often see people that use cockpit cam in driving sims adjust the view so they can see the mirrors. When they do this they are looking straight ahead at their monitor or TV screen which is directly in front of them. That means the mirrors are also directly in front of them. Now I don’t know about you but I’ve never sat in a real car and had the side mirrors directly in front of me.

There’s many cars in GT 7 where you can see all or part of the side mirror in front of you on your monitor. Many can’t drive this way due to the extremely limited view so they use roof cam. Another limiting view where there’s no mirrors at all. Or bumper cam strapped to the front of your car.
Or then there’s chase cam where your entire car is in front of you. Let’s be honest, most of us start this way. It seems at first to give the best overall view of everything. Some become so used to it that changing from it feels alien.
But in reality it’s just a limiting as all the rest. The field of view you get means it’s actually hard to judge distances. Especially to the front of the car. Every view in game has FOV issues.

With VR you’re not using a traditional view. You’re sat in the car so your view of the world around you is to scale. Your mirrors are no longer in front of you. They’re to the side where they should be.

When I first tried VR at Brands Hatch back in GT Sport one of the first things that struck me was the scale. I remember pulling the car over to the marshal. No longer was he this tiny guy you’d barely notice as you wizzed by, instead he was a fully sized man. I felt like I could get out the car and shake his hand. It was bizarre yet made complete sense.

I’m not sure it will make people faster initially. But I feel that after using it for a while it might.

Everything has depth. Curbs no longer look flat. In fact some can look quite menacing. You’re able to judge distances better and therefore control the car a little bit better.

It’s like a wheel. At first you’re not faster but you become more consistent. It makes more sense. The improvement in speed comes after. If a lot of users adopt VR I think in could potentially make online better.

Stick an accomplished (real world) driver into GT7 and they'll be all over the place with braking points, track position, and so on if they aren't familiar with sims. I see it all the time whenever family or friends try out a sim. It looks like a game, so they play it like one. Put them into PS VR2 and they'll adapt instantly by applying their real world skills, spacial awareness, sense of danger etc.

As for Aliens, no I don't think PS VR2 will make them quicker. Like all high level players, their speed comes from an ability to hit markers, perfect lines, and have unbelievable consistency.

For us regular players, I think the overwhelming majority play for the pleasure of driving cars, and the immersion that comes from that. Speed will come with familiarity. I'll take the increased immersion everyday of the week.
I had my cousin over and he's done some real world track days but when he was using my setup DD PRO with V3 pedals he was awful. Will be interesting to see a few of these peeps in VR and the improvements.

Not sure how much speed someone would sacrifice for immersion. Hopefully we'll be quicker.
There’s no such thing as cockpit cam in VR. You’re just sat in the car. The traditional camera views are irrelevant when you’re sat In the car.

All traditional camera views are limiting in some way.
You’ll often see people that use cockpit cam in driving sims adjust the view so they can see the mirrors. When they do this they are looking straight ahead at their monitor or TV screen which is directly in front of them. That means the mirrors are also directly in front of them. Now I don’t know about you but I’ve never sat in a real car and had the side mirrors directly in front of me.

There’s many cars in GT 7 where you can see all or part of the side mirror in front of you on your monitor. Many can’t drive this way due to the extremely limited view so they use roof cam. Another limiting view where there’s no mirrors at all. Or bumper cam strapped to the front of your car.
Or then there’s chase cam where your entire car is in front of you. Let’s be honest, most of us start this way. It seems at first to give the best overall view of everything. Some become so used to it that changing from it feels alien.
But in reality it’s just a limiting as all the rest. The field of view you get means it’s actually hard to judge distances. Especially to the front of the car. Every view in game has FOV issues.

With VR you’re not using a traditional view. You’re sat in the car so your view of the world around you is to scale. Your mirrors are no longer in front of you. They’re to the side where they should be.

When I first tried VR at Brands Hatch back in GT Sport one of the first things that struck me was the scale. I remember pulling the car over to the marshal. No longer was he this tiny guy you’d barely notice as you wizzed by, instead he was a fully sized man. I felt like I could get out the car and shake his hand. It was bizarre yet made complete sense.

I’m not sure it will make people faster initially. But I feel that after using it for a while it might.

Everything has depth. Curbs no longer look flat. In fact some can look quite menacing. You’re able to judge distances better and therefore control the car a little bit better.

It’s like a wheel. At first you’re not faster but you become more consistent. It makes more sense. The improvement in speed comes after. If a lot of users adopt VR I think in could potentially make online better.
I'm staring to wonder whether the speed will come immediately. Just last year upgrading to load cell pedals and realizing within an hour that I was quicker was incredible. Then finding more speed days later due to adjustments was mind blowing.

As a bumper cam driver I'm wondering what other senses will come with VR. For instance the GR3 13' GTR which is OP in this previous weeks race C, it has a slow slide that requires alot of correction to control. Will VR provide that early warning bell to provide a quicker correction.... Will be interesting to say the least.

Looks like Polyphony is going with Lake Maggiore in reverse for this weeks race C. Interesting an unfamiliar track for the PSVR2 launch. Evening up the playing field maybe as some adapt to VR...

This has been the big debate if lap times will improve and potentially race consistency and more....
This is literally the first time I have heard anyone mention the possibility of VR players being faster. How is that a "big debate"?

This is literally the first time I have heard anyone mention the possibility of VR players being faster. How is that a "big debate"?
Not sure where your going with this but I was playing around with Suzuka under circuit experience and went faster with VR2.

The physics have change I believe since I last been there but I will continue to test.

Withouth the untested factor of your 2nd sentence
The physics have change I believe since I last been there but I will continue to test.
it is more like a piece of opinion.
Havent read anything like "PSVR2 makes you a faster simracer" anytime before this thread, I cant see the "big debate" you adress in the topic - the same goes for MikeUD06 I believe by his comment.

So, if it really gave us an advantage in lap times because of better depth perception, you think sales would go up?
I personally dont think so, with the same reason that Edge controllers are not "the new next hot piece" of hardware, although they potentially make you run faster laps by improving the precision of your input.

Not sure where your going with this but I was playing around with Suzuka under circuit experience and went faster with VR2.

Where I was going with that was that you said in the first line of your post was that there was a "big debate about whether or not VR players would be faster." There is not a big debate about it, at least not on GT Planet.

Where I was going with that was that you said in the first line of your post was that there was a "big debate about whether or not VR players would be faster." There is not a big debate about it, at least not on GT Planet.
Your 100% right. I miss spoke there. Should have said those that have preordered or are buying the unit are wondering if they'll be quicker.

FWIW, I had probably 100 hours in a PSVR1 headset, and rarely could get within .75 seconds of my best times in pancake mode.

Similarly, this test has already been done in the PC esports world. If VR truly was faster, you’d see all the top guys using it. But it isn’t, so they won’t.

FWIW, I had probably 100 hours in a PSVR1 headset, and rarely could get within .75 seconds of my best times in pancake mode.

Similarly, this test has already been done in the PC esports world. If VR truly was faster, you’d see all the top guys using it. But it isn’t, so they won’t.
I haven't had a good chance to compare my usual bumper cam to VR but I've put in quite a few hours of VR and have never had so much car control and consistency. Not sure what the top guys are doin but I'm faster with PSVR2.

I haven't had a good chance to compare my usual bumper cam to VR but I've put in quite a few hours of VR and have never had so much car control and consistency. Not sure what the top guys are doin but I'm faster with PSVR2.

The consistency is definitely there for sure. But coming from a raw pace/time attack perspective, I found that with actually being “inside the car”, in a 3-dimensional space. My brain wouldn’t allow me to go for broke, sotospeak. There was just a mental barrier I could never get through. I’ll be curious to see if this changes at all when I finally get the chance to strap into my new headset. I have a feeling that the last .75-.5 seconds of pace per lap, will be difficult to find.

We shall see!

For raw times, I'm on par with flat or slightly faster depending on the track. This week's Daily B I am faster while Daily C I am .1 slower in VR. That said, I am way more consistent and haven't made the dumb mistakes I am prone to. I've run about 6 races online so far and 3 were Clean. That never happened as much in flat. My finishing positions have been better as well. Aside from being able to look into apexes and use more of the track, I feel like I am better able to counter other racer's bad driving. Since I can track other cars by just turning my head, I have been able to avoid situations where I would end up getting punted or spun previously. I used to use the bumper cam.

For raw times, I'm on par with flat or slightly faster depending on the track. This week's Daily B I am faster while Daily C I am .1 slower in VR. That said, I am way more consistent and haven't made the dumb mistakes I am prone to. I've run about 6 races online so far and 3 were Clean. That never happened as much in flat. My finishing positions have been better as well. Aside from being able to look into apexes and use more of the track, I feel like I am better able to counter other racer's bad driving. Since I can track other cars by just turning my head, I have been able to avoid situations where I would end up getting punted or spun previously. I used to use the bumper cam.
I haven't tried race B but in race C I echo what you've said. No dumb mistakes and consistently having good finishes. Starting from the back of the field I've finished on the podium a few times and won a couple in a top split group.

I've been able to widen my apex. I've always noticed the fast guys use every inch of the track and can scoop out 10ths out of me every turn. VR has given me the ability to get right up on the edge of the apron.

The consistency is definitely there for sure. But coming from a raw pace/time attack perspective, I found that with actually being “inside the car”, in a 3-dimensional space. My brain wouldn’t allow me to go for broke, sotospeak. There was just a mental barrier I could never get through. I’ll be curious to see if this changes at all when I finally get the chance to strap into my new headset. I have a feeling that the last .75-.5 seconds of pace per lap, will be difficult to find.

We shall see!
You surf and bike, right? Clearly you have an inner daredevil; you just have to embrace it!

I got the VR2 3 weeks ago and in my case anyways I'm faster in VR. I find it way easier to be consistent and that ultimately leads to faster times. Currently qualified 64th for the next nation's cup race, 600th in the alphard time trial with a 1:26:9xx. But beyond that it's just wayyyy more fun. The immersion makes it worth it alone.

That being said, I did notice YouTubers like thekie25 and super GT, were not using vr in the last round of GTWS. Now is it because they feel they're slower in vr, they don't like the missing information (Delta's, position, rev display etc..) or because of some other aspect related to streaming content?

Also, has there been any information regarding GT7 live events with regards to VR2? Would a player be able to play in vr at a final? If not then there isn't much incentive to practice in one mode and compete in another.

Last edited:
I got the VR2 3 weeks ago and in my case anyways I'm faster in VR. I find it way easier to be consistent and that ultimately leads to faster times. Currently qualified 64th for the next nation's cup race, 600th in the alphard time trial with a 1:26:9xx. But beyond that it's just wayyyy more fun. The immersion makes it worth it alone.

That being said, I did notice YouTubers like thekie25 and super GT, were not using vr in the last round of GTWS. Now is it because they feel they're slower in vr, they don't like the missing information (Delta's, position, rev display etc..) or because of some other aspect related to streaming content?

Also, has there been any information regarding GT7 live events with regards to VR2? Would a player be able to play in vr at a final? If not then there isn't much incentive to practice in one mode and compete in another.
Nice to hear your quicker and enjoying the immersion. When I first got the VR headset I experimented with circuit experience. With 2D I did the typical veer off the track or late brake as I readjusted to a track I hadn't been on in a while. In VR the braking points are alot more obvious with the sense of speed and the added depth or perception going into a turn. Also using perifial vision getting out of a turn is extremely satisfying and quicker!

The YouTubers have mentioned the main issue with VR is there inability to interact with their chat. Through out the duration of the race they are unable to view messages and thank peeps that donate. Not sure how much there going to promote something there unable to use.

Back