The Laguna Seca Evolution Saga (times updated!)

Yesterday i came up with an idea to buy all Mitsu Evo's (at least one from each Evolution) and get them on Laguna Seca for a comparison .

So , I bough the EVOII ; III , IV , V , VI and VII and still have to buy the 'EVOI' and the EVO VIII (due to financial issues not yet bought:) )

And why I didn't buy the Lancer Evolution (I) , well , because I couldn't find it in the usedcar-showroom (due to the cycle probably) , and I have one in my garage but it's fully tuned and has 430bhp or something like it and I wanted to do a stock car comparison .

Due to the fact that all cars were used , I first went out and gave them all an oil change which raised bhp in some cases with almost 25 units ! So now the Evo's go from 265+- to 310-ish HP .

I picked Laguna Seca , left the S2 tires on , and set all aids to off .

My first impressions were :

They all drive great although you really feel the updates on the newer cars (which also shows in the ranking that really goes from 'slow'(evo II) to 'fast'(evo V) .

The EVOII and III have quite a bit of understeer whereas the IV and V are much easier to get into oversteer and I like it that way.
I didn't try the VI and VII yet but will do so this week , and will also try to buy the VIII and test that one .. So update and pics follow

If I recall correctly , the EVO II ran a 1:49 and the EVO V got to 1:43 (i'm not quite sure but will add the final 'time pic' as I complete the challenge ..., could also have been 1:38 but not sure so ..)

My personal favourite till now is the EVO V due to it's brutal looks and the easy oversteering that can be induced upon liftoff (or by other methods:sly: )

Will be updated this week ...

If anyone is interested in trying an EVOLUTION MODEL and putting the time here ... feel free to do so

And I'm not sure yet , but I'll probably include the Lancer Turbo '83 , Lancer 1600 GSR Rally car '74 and the newer EVO IV , VI and Super rally cars into the challenge just to complete it ...

Bye

That's a good comparison, please publish the full results after the tests are done! :)

There is one more thing you may want to do to make it fair, the chassis refreshenings for all the used cars. It costs 50.000 Cr per car so you may have to postpone it a bit but the cars won't show their real nature to you without it.

Or alternatively, you could do the test in Arcade Mode as you have now unlocked all the cars, and they would all be in brand new condition - no oil changes or chassis refreshenings causing confusion and you would get the Evolution in stock shape too.

Just my ideas, keep continuing,

- R -

Hey man, that seems interesting to see. Keep it going!! 💡
When you get to the newer EVO's, you'll have to choose between some models... also, are you trying any of the cars with a VCD? When you finish this werite-up, it might be a good idea to test one or two EVO's with that 👍

thx for replying ;
well I do have some ideas up my sleeve and the ones mentioned will probably be inserted ...

-try the cars on N2 or N3 tires for more real-life figures (which ones to pick?)

-perform chassis refresh on every used EVO and compare times with the old ones

-install VCD on some cars and compare with the old times

-travel around the world with my EvoCollection and race on other famous real tracks like Le Mans , NürbRing , Tsukuba , Monaco F1....

-if the challenge is completed tune all the cars to about 400 bhp(with minimal upgrades and everything else stock) and try to get them to the same weight if possible and compare times again

-try to finetune out all cars and check what you can get out of them , off course also susp/brake/lsd/... adjustments (in a later stadium)

Hello , I've got a first little update (don't have much time..)

These are the times for the EVO 'I' till VIII , they were all ran 2 laps around the track and the best one was taken , but I'm gonna try and sharpen them because some cars were thrown around more than driven in a straight line :)

EVO GSR : 1.50.128 (249HP , 1240KG)
EVO II GSR : 1.49.155 (266HP , 1250KG)
EVO III GSR : 1.47.844 (268HP , 1260KG)
EVO IV GSR : 1.47.419 (277HP , 1350KG)
EVO V GSR : 1.44.098 (311HP , 1360KG)
EVO VI GSR : 1.43.123 (316HP , 1360KG)
EVO VI RS : 1.42.747 (316HP , 1260KG)
EVO VII GSR : 1.42.360 (319HP , 1400KG)
EVO VIII GSR : 1.41.397 (321HP , 1410KG)

I will update this post with the other times as soon as possible ..

If I recall correctly , I (off course) liked the EVO VI RS better then the GSR but it seemed that the 100KG weight diff didn't matter much , but , as said , I will try to sharpen the times more ...

Great EVOlution from 4th to 5th model! Nice...

About your ideas to compare them with close to real tyres, I guess it should be N3 for all of them (as I believe the newer EVO's come with sports tyres).
The part you say about tunning them and stuff, leave that for last.. it's gonna take you a lot of time and $.
Later.

I've updated the post with the times , HP and weight for all cars ..

I'll try to race 'em around the track some more to get the best times out of them , because I usually get tempted to throw them around a bit too often...:)

turbobilly
My personal favourite till now is the EVO V due to it's brutal looks

I totally agree with you there, for me the Evo V was spot on for looks, everything before and after didn't quite cut the mustard, i am suprised to see how much weight the evo has put on over the years - even so - around a track it is incredible considering its price tag.

Back