The LM question

• Thread starter TMM
  • 24 comments

TMM

England
Nottingham, England
In GT some of the winable cars are labelled as LM Edition or LM or as in the NSX that you can buy, LM GT2. What does the LM stand for? Is it Limited as in Limited Edition or is it Le Mans as some people refer to them? If it is Le Mans then is there any evidence that these cars raced in the Le Mans and so can be titled such?

You don't have to race in a Le Man's race to be considered a Le Man's Racing Car, You have to have the Parts, Legal weight and safety features and Licenses that's required to enter the race as by there rules.

Right so LM does stand for Le Mans in all cases? Anybody any idea of the power, weight rules for running in Le Mans races?

SportWagon
Perhaps "LM" was intentionally ambiguous. For licensing reasons.

Could well be, but then if they are basing it on a certain model that raced at Le Mans and the colour scheme is identical then surely the license is already covered.

I have yet to find any evidence of any of the cars running in the Le Mans 24 hour race, can anybody pin it to a certain year?

SportWagon
Perhaps "LM" was intentionally ambiguous. For licensing reasons.
It make a lot of sense.
Anyway, did anyone ever saw a model such as the Mitsubishi FTO 4WD Featured in GT1 )at La Sarthe circuit ?
Imho LM could stand for anything, but of course the 1st reflex of a racing fanatic would be to associate that with " Le Mans" instead of "Lame Model"

Biased turkey
It make a lot of sense.
Anyway, did anyone ever saw a model such as the Mitsubishi FTO 4WD Featured in GT1 )at La Sarthe circuit ?
Imho LM could stand for anything, but of course the 1st reflex of a racing fanatic would be to associate that with " Le Mans" instead of "Lame Model"

I always associated it with Limited, especailly with the Edition being added for some cars.

Just to let you know, In 1995, The year McLaren F1 GTRs placed 4 cars in top 5, Nissan (Nismo GTR LM), Honda (NSX GT1/2 LM) and I think Toyota (Castrol Supra LM) entered LeMans 24 hours. so these cars raced at LeMans

found another from 1996

if you scroll through, you'll find the Nismo, Viper GTSR LM, and if you look at list of non photo cars, Toyota Supra LM

Just Racing Modified my 1995 Supra RZ, and it is in the style of the SARD Supra LM from the links, so some RM's do look like real race cars

I'm with Ridley: LM = Limited Make. Afer all, you never saw Spoon or Vector at Le Mans...

LM stands for Lemans, even if most of the cars never ran/raced there. Most of the LM editions are fantasy cars with Lemans specifications (or close to them atleast).

SagarisGTB
LM stands for Lemans, even if most of the cars never ran/raced there. Most of the LM editions are fantasy cars with Lemans specifications (or close to them atleast).

Thnks for clearing it up.

SagarisGTB
Parnelli Bone
Thnks for clearing it up.

Yeah thanks for clearing that up, ohh and welcome to GTP...

Back