The Man, from Texas

• Thread starter robisme
  • 19 comments
England
West Yorkshire,
stibbz
xStibz
Hi, being a bit of a fan of cycle racing, I watch the Tour de France.
On the first big test in the mountains, yesterday, (Tues).
That guy, Lance Armstrong showed them just how to climb a mountain on a bike, blew them away!
He's not the leader of the race overall yet, but I guess it's only a matter of time before he is, then it could be his third win in three years, what a guy !
cya
Rob

I am also a fan of cycle racing and have watched all the coverage of the Tour. Yesterday was amazing. I loved the way he looked back at Ullrich and then just went away. I don't think Ullrich can stop him now. I was pretty sad to hear Millar abandoned yesterday though - he has had a tough tour.

Hi, nice to know I'm not on my own Phil, I watched it all yesterday too.
I think with that breakaway getting 35mins the other day, it's made it a little more interesting. Yes it's a shame for Millar, he's young though, we will see him again.
I'm just going to see what time it's on today.
Could Armstrong win two in two days, mountain Time Trial today.
cya

I have just finished watching the time trial and he made it look so easy. I don't think Ullrich has much of a chance now if Armstrong keeps going plus there is the rset day tomorrow so Armstrong is going to be fresher on Friday. I agree with you about the breakaway the other day but Lance is quickly eating into the gaps.

Lance is the man.  I've never seen someone sit back and suffer like he did, and then destroy Ullrich on the climb.

See the time trial?  I wouldn't bet against Lance at this point!

I was planning on watching this, but since I'm not at home there's no way for me to see anything other than little blurbs in the news.  I'm glad to see him doing so well, with his cancer and all.

How long is the race?

I am so with you guys on Lance tacking this race to the end, beating cancer one year and then following it up with two leading wins the next two years, man hes unstopable. If he dosent win the overall it will be a very close finish. Ive been into Mnt. Biking for a while and ive noticed cross training with a road bike greatly improved my strength, but no where as close to Lance the Man. Hes just :cheeburga: the feild alive.

Quote: from psycho on 12:51 pm on July 19, 2001[br]I am so with you guys on Lance tacking this race to the end, beating cancer one year and then following it up with two leading wins the next two years, man hes unstopable. If he dosent win the overall it will be a very close finish. Ive been into Mnt. Biking for a while and ive noticed cross training with a road bike greatly improved my strength, but no where as close to Lance the Man. Hes just :cheeburga: the feild alive.
Yes, it takes incredible strength.  He's in a lot better shape than I am!  :D

Hi, Lance did it again today, no stage win, but followed Ulrich all the way up the last climb, then just flew away near the top. :)

Nobody will take that yellow jersey off Lance now, it's the final week, I don't think there is any chance of him loosing 5mins in the Time Trial later this week, even though it's a long one, about 60km.

BTW It was funny to see the German off track and heading into the bushes the other day, when he went too fast to get round the corner :lol:

(Edited by robisme at 6:43 pm on July 24, 2001)

I've watched the Tour for about 5 years now and man am I pissed about OLN getting the rights to broadcast it rather than ESPN. That is total S**t! I don't get OLN and it sucks. Oh well, GO LANCE!

I though it was funny to. You just saw him fly of then a bike fly through the air. That was probably one of the best stages so far and I thought it was quite sporting of Armstrong to wait for him even though it is an unwritten rule. Even though he has pretty much got the jersey (even if the British Eurosport comentators don't think so) in the bag, the battle between Zabel and O'Grady is going to be good.

Yes, nasty nasty, and they where not going very fast at the time either.
What about the guy who got stung on the face on the rest day (Mon), started Tuesdays stage, face swollen, one eye shut, then had to abandon after 10km, he was in too much pain.  The UCI would not allow him to have the injection that would have cured it in just 2 hours.
After he got into the team car, they gave him the treatment and he was ok after a short while.

Quote: from robisme on 4:57 am on July 26, 2001[br]Yes, nasty nasty, and they where not going very fast at the time either.
What about the guy who got stung on the face on the rest day (Mon), started Tuesdays stage, face swollen, one eye shut, then had to abandon after 10km, he was in too much pain.  The UCI would not allow him to have the injection that would have cured it in just 2 hours.
After he got into the team car, they gave him the treatment and he was ok after a short while.
Yeah, I saw that guy, but I just thought he had always had something wrong with his eye...  :redface:

Well its all over now for another year but I am disapointed that O'Grady couldn't hang on to the green jersey although Zabel has been awesome the past couple of days.

Back