The Missing Features... what is the real hold up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
United States
Indiana
DSkywalker01
You know the drill... missing features, the were promised at launch, still 1 year from release, blah blah, blah... you have heard/discussed it before.

What I am interested in is why?

The community features took nearly a full year to come out, which was essentially just new UI. Same with quickmatch.

Why basic features like this weren't patched in early is beyond me... especially considering the player base is so much smaller these days than at launch.

Obviously the two most hefty features in terms of actual game content (which of course means they are still unreleased) are the course maker and B-spec, two features that were available at launch in GT5.

The hype machine would lead you to believe that these features will be largely improved... but I am starting to question whether or not there will be any major leaps at all.

Obviously the length of time these updates are taking is contributing to this speculation but I wonder if some are hanging on to GT simply based on how these features are.

Given that knowledge... which PD must be aware of... are they holding back on releasing them because they have no other cards up their sleeves to extend the life of GT6? Seems like everything else (which isn't much content) is being trickled to us with no information or schedule... smells fishy to me.

TL;DR

Is PD purposefully holding these features back to artificially extend the lifespan of GT6 vs the competition (Forza, Project Cars).

Discuss.

Although i couldn't care less about the content that is missing right now, i do find it odd that there hasn't been any word on why. I don't think they would be purposefully adding to the lifespan of the game, because they would be getting allot more money if they did it the way forza is doing it.

I don't know how holding back features would prolong the lifespan of the game, if anything I would say it has the opposite effect. I for one would have definitely played longer if I had the course maker and the GPS tool for creating courses. That was a big point of interest for me but now even if they release it tomorrow it would not have the appeal that it would have 1 year ago or even 9 months ago.

GT isn't competing with project cars. PCars is yet to be released and GT was released over a year ago, many of not most of us have bought GT already and will also buy PCars. GT7 on the other hand.....

This man knows what he's talking about:tup: I seriously doubt there will be a single post in here that hasn't been made a dozen times before.

Well then Paul Blart :sly:, hop on your little Segway, zip on down to the staff's station, report the thread 💡 and be done with it. :lol:

tumblr_nf0b8tbted1sjnyq2o1_500.png

I'm afraid it is a deliberate choice to save major features for later. It bassically keeps the hype going in between full game releases. Maybe it would be different if PD was one of those big developers that offers season passes with everything that entails in terms of scheduled car packs, tracks, etc. I can imagine how PDs relatively small modeling team is hung up maintaining Vision GT while also saving content for GT7's initial impact. So these infrequent feature updates might provide a viable alternative for ongoing momentum, and another handpicked Nissan GT-R never hurt anyone.

I'm afraid it is a deliberate choice to save major features for later. It bassically keeps the hype going in between full game releases. Maybe it would be different if PD was one of those big developers that offer season passes with everything that entails in terms of scheduled car packs, tracks, etc. I can imagine how PDs relatively small modeling team is hung up maintaining Vision GT while also saving content for GT7's initial impact. So these infrequent feature updates might provide a viable alternative for ongoing momentum, and another handpicked Nissan GT-R never hurt anyone.
Teasing new content and features to come is hype. Withholding promised content for 14 months or more isn't hype, it's antagonizing the fanbase and bad for business any way you cut it. Just so you know, the dev budget for GT5 was rumoured to be $80Million, so I'm guessing that qualifies PD as a "big developer".

I suspect they are having trouble getting the course maker to work on the PS3. At this point I'm guessing they are debating whether to release a severely slimmed down but still buggy version of it, or throw themselves on the mercy of the fanbase by not releasing it at all for GT6. IMO of course.

Teasing new content and features to come is hype. Withholding promised content for 14 months or more isn't hype, it's antagonizing the fanbase and bad for business any way you cut it. Just so you know, the dev budget for GT5 was rumoured to be $80Million, so I'm guessing that qualifies PD as a "big developer".

The gaming press will always remind people that GT6 exists whenever a sizeable update comes around. It's bound to create hype among consumers regardless of the underlying morality. Big business tends to be cynical but I do agree that poor customer relations benefits no one in the long run. As for PD not being a big developer, I was referring to their human resources, which are said to be disproportionate to the GT franchise and its brand value.

Oh, for ****'s sake... Can we just end this thread now before it really gets going? Because if we don't, this entire thread is going to devolve into one giant nexus of arguing and PD-bashing. That's never good for anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back