The MMA/Boxing Thread

• Thread starter Maccer_42
  • 909 comments
I'll have to try find it.

Whittaker vs Romero is now the main event after Nunes has been hospitalised with an illness. Huge shame, the Nunes vs Shevchenko fight was looking like a good one.

Hope she is ok, but hope they disclose why. If it is weight cut related they should strip the title.

I got really excited by the prospect of Joanna vs. Shevchenko, but seems like it's not happening. Guess it was a bit of a pipe dream, but a fun one to think about nonetheless. Even made my own little announcement poster for it haha.

EDIT: It's a bit big, let me re-size it real quick!

xNvuOOD.png

So it turns out that I am the dumbest man in human history. I was trying to resize my poster to 600x600, opened a new Photoshop window but I didn't realise it said "cm" so I set it to 600x600 cm which equals 70,000 pixels and gave my PC a heart attack.

Which is why it took so damn long to edit this, lol.

Last edited:
God damn. Seems like us fight fans can't have anything nice :lol: But yes, hopefully Nunes is okay, and it's nothing too serious.

The NSAC already rejected the idea of a Valentina v Joanna unfortunately, despite the fact White, Valentina and Joanna were all good with it. I can see the commissions point but you'd think they'd be at least another bantamweight that could step in and fight her.

EDIT: Multiple reports stating that the doctors that Nunes went to could not find anything wrong with her, but Nunes continually insisted that she cannot fight on Saturday night.

Last edited:
Fair to assume Nunes either got cold feet on facing Shevchenko, or couldn't manage the weight cut.

Man, Travis is a shell of his former self.

On the other hand, YES OLEYNIK! The legend gets the highest profile win in his UFC career.

Shevchenko seems to believe it's weight cut related and White says two separate trips to the hospital has her clear to fight but Nunes refuses to. I guess it's hard to know but it's looking pretty poor on her end.

Well, Browne just lost again to a relative nobody, but he won't get cut because he's married to Rousey. If he wants to win again, he needs to leave that gym, Edmund is utterly hopeless as a coach.

Now it's main card time: Not anywhere near as stacked as it once was, but hoping that Miller v Pettis, Werdum vs Overeem and Whittaker v Romero can make it worth the $50.

Well, Browne just lost again to a relative nobody, but he won't get cut because he's married to Rousey. If he wants to win again, he needs to leave that gym, Edmund is utterly hopeless as a coach.

Now it's main card time: Not anywhere near as stacked as it once was, but hoping that Miller v Pettis, Werdum vs Overeem and Whittaker v Romero can make it worth the $50.
You say he's a nobody, but Oleynik is almost legendary in MMA. 52-10, 40+ wins but subs. Hell, he submitted Jeff Monsoon, one of only 4 out of 88 fights to do it I believe. Monsoon is a two-time ADCC Submission Wrestling World Champion and also a No-Gi BJJ World Champion. Oleynik is almost like the Demian Maia of HW. Watch out for him.

You say he's a nobody, but Oleynik is almost legendary in MMA. 52-10, 40+ wins but subs. Hell, he submitted Jeff Monsoon, one of only 4 out of 88 fights to do it I believe. Monsoon is a two-time ADCC Submission Wrestling World Champion and also a No-Gi BJJ World Champion. Oleynik is almost like the Demian Maia of HW. Watch out for him.
Until today, I can honestly say I haven't heard of him much. But nonetheless, anyone with a record of 52-10 is worth watching. From here, he should fight Mark Hunt. He needs something to do, so giving Oleynik that fight would do wonders for him if he can beat Hunt.

Meanwhile, a small bloodbath between Pettis and Miller right now. It's definitely been a good fight so far. 3rd and final round is about to start.

Until today, I can honestly say I haven't heard of him much. But nonetheless, anyone with a record of 52-10 is worth watching. From here, he should fight Mark Hunt. He needs something to do, so giving Oleynik that fight would do wonders for him if he can beat Hunt.

Meanwhile, a small bloodbath between Pettis and Miller right now. It's definitely been a good fight so far. 3rd and final round is about to start.
I heard of him when he got the Ezekiel choke a little while back, was insane and first ever in UFC history. Since then I've been a big fan. Hunt vs Oleynik would be good too.

And man, what a fight that was! Pettis looks back on form, looks like the Pettis of old but even better!

These god damn Cormier v Jones 2 promos are getting me too damn hyped. Pleeeaaassseee let us have this fight, MMA gods. If we can only have one fight this year, I want it to be this one.

These god damn Cormier v Jones 2 promos are getting me too damn hyped. Pleeeaaassseee let us have this fight, MMA gods. If we can only have one fight this year, I want it to be this one.
I actually made my own promo for that fight, so much fun to make, especially because of the backstory that speaks for itself really.

Cheeky plug :P

That's actually pretty good man. Great work :)👍
Thank you! Made ones for 212 and 210 also, 214 is really an evolution of 212, as is 210. But that's how it should be right? If you're not improving then you're doing something wrong.

I still don't know how this fight was so high up in the card. Surely Browne v Oleynik would have been better suited to be on the main card than this?

I still don't know how this fight was so high up in the card. Surely Browne v Oleynik would have been better suited to be on the main card than this?
It would've been, guess they wanted to give the prospect in Blaydes a spot high up for exposure.

It would've been, guess they wanted to give the prospect in Blaydes a spot high up for exposure.
Definitely way too soon. Fans turned against them quite quickly.

But now, Werdum v Overeem 3. Low key really excited for this. First fight was in Pride, second in Strickforce, now the rubber match is in the UFC.

Definitely way too soon. Fans turned against them quite quickly.

But now, Werdum v Overeem 3. Low key really excited for this. First fight was in Pride, second in Strickforce, now the rubber match is in the UFC.
Oh yeah, and man, I can't take this lol. Every time Reem fights my nerves are set on fire even before the fight starts. Rocking back and forth on the couch rn, it's crazy haha. But it's part of being a spectator, and if Reem wins it's so satisfying.

Oh yeah, and man, I can't take this lol. Every time Reem fights my nerves are set on fire even before the fight starts. Rocking back and forth on the couch rn, it's crazy haha. But it's part of being a spectator, and if Reem wins it's so satisfying.
I was hoping Overeem would walk out to the Pride theme again, but he didn't. Much disappointed :lol:

Must've been Overeem R1+2.
I'd assume so, cause that knockdown by Werdum in the third would really put it into Werdum's favour. Oh well, was a close fight regardless. Now it's time for Whittaker v Romero. I honestly don't know who to pick. But as I'm Australian, I'll go for Whittaker.

And that final Cormier v Jones 2 promo just then was deep. They need to run with that for sure.

I'd assume so, cause that knockdown by Werdum in the third would really put it into Werdum's favour. Oh well, was a close fight regardless. Now it's time for Whittaker v Romero. I honestly don't know who to pick. But as I'm Australian, I'll go for Whittaker.

And that final Cormier v Jones 2 promo just then was deep. They need to run with that for sure.
Yeah that promo was awesome, I got Whittaker by R4 KO.

Don't think AO won that one, bad luck Werdum.

If RW can survive the hurricane in rd1 and 2, he's got this one.

This is gonna be a hell of a fight.

We really needed Mike Goldberg there to say "the rest are virtually identical".

EDIT- Close first round, Whittaker's left leg is hurting.

Last edited:
Well, that card despite all the pull-outs and cancellations was still pretty damn decent. Only one snoozer on the card, really. FOTN is definitely Whittaker v Romero, with Miller v Pettis being a distant second.

Now let's all cross our fingers and toes and pray to the MMA gods that nothing happens to UFC 214 cause that card is insanely loaded and has so much potential with Maia and Woodley, Cyborg and Evinger, Lawler and Cerrone and the biggest fight the UFC can do, Jones v Cormier 2. Can't wait for that one.

Here's the official trailer for Cormier v Jones 2:

Last edited:
Back