The MMA/Boxing Thread

• Thread starter Maccer_42
  • 909 comments
I'm not sure why Dana is suddenly being so lenient.
Because it's where the PPV are. Khabib vs Alvarez is interesting, but not a massive PPV spinner. Conor wins - even more marketability. Conor loses - Rematch like with Diaz = more PPV. Loses that, has to face Aldo = more PPV.

The rankings are pretty irrelevant, sadly.

Yeah, I dislike the fact that McGregor is getting so much favouritism, but I can understand how Dana is looking ay it from a business view. To the casual fan, McGregor is must-see, and to the hardcore fan, we'd much rather see (well me anyway) Woodley v Thompson, but unfortunately those names just aren't a household name yet.

That's why McGregor v Diaz II was put above Jones v Cormier II on the original UFC 200 card, McGregor and Diaz are household names and their rivalry was fresh and still in the mainstream media, while Jones v Cormier, that rivalry, while more toxic and intriguing, wasn't in the mainstream media and wasn't known about to the casual fan, unfortunately.

Regardless, I'm quite excited for the UFC 205 card, and don't fathom whoever has the job of deciding what fights are on the PPV card, and what's on the Prelims.

By far the best line up I ever saw for a UFC event... Holy **** it's gonna be an epic night! counting the days now, only 45 to go :D:tup:

Here's the official fight card for UFC 205, the match order is TBD, but I imagine that all three title fights will be on the PPV Main Card.

Main Event - Lightweight:
Eddie Alvarez (c) vs. Conor McGregor (c)
Co-Main Event - Welterweight: Tyron Woodley (c) vs. Stephen Thompson
Match #11 - Women's Strawweight: Joanna Jędrzejczyk (c) vs. Karolina Kowalkiewicz
Match #10 - Middleweight: Chris Weidman vs. Yoel Romero
Match #9 - Welterweight: Donald Cerrone vs. Kelvin Gastelum
Match #8 - Lightweight: Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Michael Johnson
Match #7 - Featherweight: Frankie Edgar vs. Jeremy Stephens
Match #6 - Middleweight: Tim Kennedy vs. Rashad Evans
Match #5 - Women's Bantamweight: Miesha Tate vs. Raquel Pennington
Match #4 - Middleweight: Tim Boetsch vs. Rafael Natal
Match #3 - Lightweight: Jim Miller vs. Thiago Alves
Match #2 - Welterweight: Lyman Good vs. Belal Muhammad
Match #1 - Women's Bantamweight: Liz Carmouche vs. Katlyn Chookagian

News out a few hours ago that José Aldo has requested a release from his UFC contract after not being granted a match against McGregor for the Featherweight title. Dana White has said that he will not release Aldo from his contract.

Bellator must be watching this very carefully, as I imagine they'd he quick to offer him a big deal to join them

Yeah, I can understand why he is upset - Dana reneged on the agreed clash once Diaz was out the way. He also apparently wanted a crack at the LW belt when he was champ and it got denied, so more salt in the wound. It has to eat away too that McG has made $20m+ since beating him...

Dana doesn't take kindly to threats though....

Connor making a play for the "Big Boy Belt"...

"Little Girl Belt" has fighters with a combined MMA record of 22 fights, 22 wins, zero defeats.
Very tough Fight
YO-anna yen-JAY-chick ---versus--- CAH-roh-leenah cor-VAL-key-arh-vitch

Very hard to see JJ losing to KK... but didn't the experts say that sort of thing when HH (Holly Holm 9-0) dismantled RR (Honda Housey 12-0)

204 was a bit blah.

Mousasi looks lethal when he flicks the switch, probably highlight of the card for me. Bisping was smart and hats off to him, he can soak up a lot of damage and survive to fight on, Hendo had his chance but missed it and gassed hard for the remaining couple of rounds.

Lowlight was one of the prelim fights - guy applying armbar missed the tap of his opponent...and so did the ref.. = things that should not be seen on TV :( :ill:

Completely forgot about 204 due to Bathurst being on. Mousasi winning didn't surprise me, neither did Bisping winning. I was surprised that it went to a decision though.

I obviously didn't watch, but is the criticism of the judges giving it to Bisping instead of Hendo deserving or not?

I obviously didn't watch, but is the criticism of the judges giving it to Bisping instead of Hendo deserving or not?
The decision was right, probably not the margin on the cards which were ludicrous. Once judge had it 4-1 which is rubbish.

Hendo won round one, possibly 10-8; knocked Bisping to the canvas and put some big gnp on, but gassed and Bisping survived. Bisping controlled round 2 on the feet with lots of activity, but the floored again late on and again Hendo gassed trying to finish. Bisping won round 3 easily as Hendo was fatigued, round 4 was closer but I thought Bisping shaved it. Round 5 was close to being a shared round, Bisping shading number of strikes and octagon control vs a half takedown by Hendo.

I so hope they do Mousasi vs Bisping. Mousasi looked super impressive.

I so hope they do Mousasi vs Bisping. Mousasi looked super impressive
I think Mousasi should face the winner between Romero v Weidman at UFC 205, but the winner of Rockhold v Jacare II at UFC Fight Night Melbourne goes on to face Bisping for the title. Then whoever won out of Romero/Weidman v Mousasi faces the champion, whether that be Bisping, Rockhold or Jacare.

Either way, the Middleweight division is arguably one of the most competitive and intriguing divisions right now.

Excuse the triple post, but a bit of a news round up from what's been a big week in MMA.

We've touched on UFC 205 extensively and wrapped 204, but the build to 206 has begun with Cormier v Johnson II announced for the event which takes place in Toronto, Canada. It also hasn't been confirmed as the main event, leading to speculation of a GSP return. Evidence supporting this is that GSP has been regularly tested by USADA for a while now, which only mounts more speculation on his eventual return to the octagon. And just recently news of his rumoured opponent has begun to do the rounds. Apparently the UFC is in talks with GSP and Anderson Silva for a potential super fight at UFC 206.

As you may recall, Mickey Gall used his post fight interview to call out Sage Northcutt, and now he's got his man, proving once again that calling people out is a good way to get yourself a fight. The fight will be taking place at UFC Fight Night Sacramento.

After a victory over Belfort at UFC 204, Mousasi has said that he wants Anderson Silva for his next fight, as he looks to climb the rankings and cement his status as one of, if not the, best fighters in the crazy middleweight division.

Finally, McGregor has been fined $150,000 and ordered to do 50hrs of community service for his role in that infamous UFC 202 presser where him and Diaz threw bottles and cans at each other.

Highlight fighters of 204 for me were Manuwa, Mousasi and Alcantara those guys were making a statement to their divisions 👍 Bisping was lucky it was an older sluggish Hendo he was fighting for his first defence because he wont go 5 rounds against the top 4 with a performance like that unfortunately :scared:

Cant wait for 205 :eek: :D:tup:

But will Connie Mac do what the Nevada state commission want, and film an...
Anti Bullying commercial? (As part of his community service.)

Was there even a chance that Hendo was going to win, given he was all but admitting his retirement? Imagine, Dan Henderson, you're the new Champ! How does that feel!? I'm retiring.

Just yesterday I watched a video clip and Dana White said GSP is done. And that he hasn't really wanted to fight for quite some time.
Dana also said that McGregor wasn't going to fight in lightweight for the title. He also said Brock Lesnar wasn't coming back. I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth. :lol:

Last edited:
Rousey vs Nunes confirmed for UFC 207 on December 30. Surprised me a little.

I'm really looking forward to 205, so many great fights throughout the whole card.

Don't agree with Rousey getting a title shot straight after losing then disappearing for a year. She needs to get one win over someone like Shevchenko or Tate before getting a title shot. But then again, rankings don't matter anymore.

So according to Dana White, McGregor no longer wants to fight in Nevada following the fine he got for throwing cans at the 202 Presser.. And knowing how the UFC bends over backwards for him, that'll probably happen. I just

So 207 is shaping up very nicely, Velasquez v Werdum II has been announced, and just today, Cruz v Garbrandt for the Bantamweight title, has also joined what's a relatively stacked card already.

Definitely looking forward to it. I think it's too soon for Garbrandt, but I'm still pulling for him either way. Big fan of him.

Applogies for the double post, but according to Michael Bisping himself, he has verbally agreed to fight GSP at UFC 206.

I'll believe it when I see it.

EDIT: Dana White works quickly, he's come out saying GSP is not fighting anyone, anywhere.

Applogies for the double post, but according to Michael Bisping himself, he has verbally agreed to fight GSP at UFC 206.

I'll believe it when I see it.

EDIT: Dana White works quickly, he's come out saying GSP is not fighting anyone, anywhere.
I'll believe Dana when it passes.

Back