The most frustrating thing

  • Thread starter Thread starter AThmp
  • 14 comments
  • 892 views
Messages
3
Basically, the most frustrating thing happened to me. I spend a large proprtion of my life doing the nurb 24h endurance race, (mostly bspec) and my ps2 decided to crash once I had completed it, on the loading screen with the little twirly speedo gauge. This has now destroyed my faith in my ps2, gt4 and life in general. I wondered if anyone else has had crashing problems on the loading screens. I'm not sure what to do with myself now. My ps2 has now been churning away for several hours trying to get past that loading screen. I think my gt4 cd might be being etched with ever deeper scratches. I'm considering calmly, rationally cutting my gt4 cd in half with a pair of scissors as the only possible solution. Please help.
 
Eject the disk tray and then set it back in place.

Or raise a corner of the PS2 a couple of centimetres and drop it.

Or put the PS2 vertical if horizontal, or horizontal if vertical.
 
AThmp
Basically, the most frustrating thing happened to me. I spend a large proprtion of my life doing the nurb 24h endurance race, (mostly bspec) and my ps2 decided to crash once I had completed it, on the loading screen with the little twirly speedo gauge. This has now destroyed my faith in my ps2, gt4 and life in general. I wondered if anyone else has had crashing problems on the loading screens. I'm not sure what to do with myself now. My ps2 has now been churning away for several hours trying to get past that loading screen. I think my gt4 cd might be being etched with ever deeper scratches. I'm considering calmly, rationally cutting my gt4 cd in half with a pair of scissors as the only possible solution. Please help.

taking it a bit far dont you think :crazy: still i suppose i would feel like that after spending all that time on it
 
GT3 used to do this to me all the time. It was because my PS2 laser was dying (easy to tell, because it took ages to load other games too). When I got GT4 at first it wouldn't load at all, and that was the last straw, so I used this guide - http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/ps2repair/ - to clean and adjust the laser, and it now loads games much faster, and GT4 actually works. Do you have trouble with other games, or just GT4?
 
I've had it happen a couple of times randomly, but only when I first got the game, where it would freeze at the loading screen. It hasn't done it in nearly a year now though.
 
This is all good advice, if you're aware that you're into the Disk Read Error stage of your PS2's life. And we have whole threads on fixing the DRE.

But it's not so good if you're currently staring at a red spinny thing, as AThmp is, at the end of A-speccing a 24 hour race...
 
Hi AdamW, I used that guide, as my ps2 has been acting up with loads of games and generally being a pain. Had a bit of a clean inside, and then powered up with it still open and played some gt4, won the Capri Rally to check things out. Seems to be working, but then it has been tempremental in the past, as in it might seem to be running okay then suddenly freezes just when you have won something you were really excited about. I guess all I can do is try the 24hr event again... although if it fails again I will be majorly annoyed, mainly because it means I have been denied playing my ps2 for another 24hours! Oh well at least I didn't electrocute myself (yet).
 
famine: sorry, you're right, I should have added a bit to my post - I got stuck at the same point in GT3 several times, as I mentioned, and I tried leaving it for over a day, plus every possible variation on rotating the PS2, shaking it, hitting it, doing special voodoo dances etc, and my experience was that once it's stuck, it's stuck, and it ain't coming back no matter what you do. sigh!
 
Hi,
I tried the Nurb 24h event again, and this time no ps2 crash at the end! Was sitting through gritted, nervous teeth as I was awarded the car and saved it. Thought I might have messed my ps2 up by taking it apart, but that guide (http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/ps2repair/) was a good guide, cheers for the link. Hope it performs better consistently now, maybe dust was the main prob. Will take a while untill I know if my ps2 is performing reliably, but for the time being thanks for the advice. I can now spend my evening testing out my F1 car :)
 
well, hard to tell whether the cleaning did the trick or you were just unlucky the first time around, but good result either way :D
 
ok this is just a normal thing that happens to many games
just redo it and dont cut the disc in half
 
Happened to me once (just after I finished DTM series for 200 A-Spec points each). I moved the slimline PS2 so it could get more air for ventilation and everything is ok since.
 
I'm not sure, but i'd like to bet that the wait for missions is even more annoying - because you know that ther is absolutely no way to fix it!
 
aw that must have been sooo annoying...
it happened to me once when it was loading the credits video after you've finished the GT Wold Championship and the loading dial turned red and i thought "ooo, whats this?" but the dial just kept spinning and i ended up having to do the final 2 races again!
 
Back