The new Dolby Atmos HD option for headphones (daaang)XBOne 

So I was just tinkering around with the display/audio settings and what do we have here?! It seems MS slipped in the much talked about Dolby Atmos-HD option that was to work with games as well.

I proceeded to test it (you need to download an app for it that comes with a 30-day trial) on a few YT videos, media player files and of course FORZA.. !

I've got to say this new option makes a marked difference in how you experience sound. Even though there isn't any content yet that natively supports D.Atmos, I already noticed better dynamic range, overall audio quality and crispiness/clarity.

In the YT vids for instance, watching Conan's monologue, it felt as if ol' Consy was talking right in front of me with the crowd's laughter, ooh and aahs clear as a whistle. In a video clip I played on media player, the highs and lows were more distinct along with an improved sound field for ambient effects (no directional audio yet as native content yet to be released I imagine).

And finally Forza.... my dear Lord! Horizon 3's car exhaust/engine notes sprung to life with even more detail and presence; they almost sounded real as if there was no sound compression at all. The reverb improved and for the first time ever I could hear my engine/exhaust bouncing off the walls of the cave and mountains in Byron Bay! Sweet!

Next I took FM6 for spin, and again noticeably more detail and dynamic range in the sounds. Crisp and clean as a whistle. Amazing surround field although it's only stereo at the moment - I believe MS has yet to release native content for Dolby Atmos. I wish MS/T10 find a way to release patches for FM and Horizon so that they natively support the 7.1 surround field effects!

Nice.. must get BF1 then. But how super-cool would it be to see this implemented in Forza, Dirt and PCARS? It's already improved sound markedly, I shudder to think what it would sound like in native Dolby Atmos on headphones. :bowdown:

:D :dopey::dopey::dopey:

Update: Well, looks like it got jinxed. No longer works; it gives me an error code when I try to select the "dolby atmost for headphones" option and tells me to check my receiver even though I'm connected to my pad through earphones. :banghead:

I did leave my Fm6 session running in the background and had exited to dash. When I got back in the game, it was just a blank screen and the console auto-restarted.

Last edited:
Could anyone please try to see if the app works in enabling D.Atmos for headphones in a subsequent session? For example, restart or power down/power up your console and see if it works.

I can only use it once after a fresh install and it won't let me enable this option the next time I power up my console. Only way to get it to work is delete the D.Access app and resintall it. Then it works seamlessly.... until the next time I start up my Xbox.

Would anyone be kind enough to replicate the issue please? The app only works once and the next time you start up your console, it refuses to let you select the DA for headphones setting in the Audio options.

The only workaround for now is to delete and do a fresh install every time I go into a session (I don't keep my console on Standby).

Back