The New Nightmare!

• Thread starter leeislee
  • 13 comments
England
Liverpool
leeislee
So, I took the plunge and bought myself a very large full HD LED TV. Infact my first Full HD Tv. I was really looking forward to the rich world of GT6...What a PS2 style let down it's been.

I'm shocked at just how badly modelled most of the tracks and cars are. Bathhurst is shocking. Everything is so low res and blocky...and that's just the first track i've been on.

And just don't get me started on the state of some of the cars. Most of the game looked passable on my old school TV but now, it's really putting me off taking photos.

Something really needs to be done with this game, It's 2014 for crying out loud. Some parts of GT6 look like my old Sega Master System.

Well, you reminded me of when I got new eyeglasses for the first time, I was 15 years old. God knows how long I lived in this blurry world and didn't notice. That's why I love the Willow Springs track, apart from the lighting, which is great, everything is far away. The Le Mans track is horrible, wait till you see it, there is only a couple of good places. I have to be careful when shooting and then work with the shutter speed to blur the offending background. I've seen the new nextgen racing games and pray to the gods of photography that when GT7 comes around for the PS4, PD will match or exceed the graphic quality.

Last edited:
I'd say that the photomode evidence is proof that it can't be all that bad ;) Like Metalsun says though, you do need to pick your place carefully on some tracks.

Interesting. When I upgraded from an old school tube TV to my first 16:9 1080p monitor on GT5, I was stunned by the difference in a positive way. You see a lot more things clear when you play, and the jump from 4:3 to 16:9 is awesome, you suddenly see lots of things around your car...
You don't even need to zoom in the menus anymore! :lol:

Bathurst had the blocky bits on some of the bridges and banners, but I didn't think it was that bad. Other than the not there in real life tire wall at pit in I thought Le Mans was fine, it's actually my favorite track to take pictures on, Le Mans cars of course. With the time changes and stuff I really love Le Mans. Only real thing I can think of is the flat people but that's a known deal at all tracks.

Daytona and Indy are the tracks that really let me down, probably because PD pays them no attention. From the Nextel logos in the infield of Daytona you can tell the track was scanned 2007 or sooner. And the biggest problem to me is the road course because of the lame barriers and the lack of people and tents and most importantly the iconic Ferris wheel you get all those cool night shots of from during the Rolex 24. I mean they have the track time and weather change and they didn't do jack to the track. I mean they don't even have us running the right layout, they have us running the bus stop used by motorcycles until the repave, and now the long bus stop doesn't even exist anymore. I thought since in GT6 with the no invisible walls at Willow Springs and all PD would've got rid of all those unrealistic barriers at turn 1 and the bus stop, or atleast move them back from the racing line, but they didn't and that's the thing that really bothers me.

I do agree for sure on Bathurst. That place in like mid afternoon sun, looks wretched. I was trying to take photos of my Mitsu GTO, but kept finding terrible PS2 era foliage and muddy textures in almost every shot. A lot of the game does look pretty amazing, but times like this, really kill it for me and I am hoping things really take a step forward on PS4. Of course I am not sure because they are bringing standards back.

I do agree for sure on Bathurst. That place in like mid afternoon sun, looks wretched. I was trying to take photos of my Mitsu GTO, but kept finding terrible PS2 era foliage and muddy textures in almost every shot. A lot of the game does look pretty amazing, but times like this, really kill it for me and I am hoping things really take a step forward on PS4. Of course I am not sure because they are bringing standards back.
Bathurst is a PS3 GT6 era track. They could have fixed the trees but chose not to. They probably lowered the 3D model resolution on purpose for sake of the driving experience and the PS3's limitations. Hopefully, all the data that they took when measuring the track last year will be put to full use on GT7. View the cars in the gallery and look at the quality of the car and their reflections, beautiful, now compare them in Photo Mode. The resolution is lower and reflection quality goes down. The data is there but they are "dumbed down" depending on what you are doing.
I am afraid that standard cars are here to stay for a long while. PD has the bragging rights to say they have the most cars, 1,200. If they eliminate the standards, that figure goes way down. They are not going to do THAT! They need to compete with the new racing games, that by the way, have a "limited" number of high resolution cars like GT6. So, PD is replacing cars, in-house, little by little.

Bathurst is a PS3 GT6 era track. They could have fixed the trees but chose not to. They probably lowered the 3D model resolution on purpose for sake of the driving experience and the PS3's limitations. Hopefully, all the data that they took when measuring the track last year will be put to full use on GT7. View the cars in the gallery and look at the quality of the car and their reflections, beautiful, now compare them in Photo Mode. The resolution is lower and reflection quality goes down. The data is there but they are "dumbed down" depending on what you are doing.
I am afraid that standard cars are here to stay for a long while. PD has the bragging rights to say they have the most cars, 1,200. If they eliminate the standards, that figure goes way down. They are not going to do THAT! They need to compete with the new racing games, that by the way, have a "limited" number of high resolution cars like GT6. So, PD is replacing cars, in-house, little by little.

While it may be a PS3 era track, no one will argue that they could have taken the textures and foliage shown on the trackside at least closer to PS3 standards. It just looks odd when trying to take a "realistic" shot. As for them dumbing down the cars outside of photomode, I knew this. It is blatantly obvious on track no doubt, but my question is, is the quality of even the standards bumped up in photomode as well?

If they got rid of almost ALL the standard cars it would free up lots of resources on the disc etc to bump up the quality elsewhere.

Quality over Quantity that's what i say. Pointless having 300 Mazda MX5/Miatas etc etc

If they got rid of almost ALL the standard cars it would free up lots of resources on the disc etc to bump up the quality elsewhere.

Quality over Quantity that's what i say. Pointless having 300 Mazda MX5/Miatas etc etc

A man after my own heart, you are on serious target my friend!

I agree with you Lee, and what percentage of the cars does a gamer really use? Porsche didn't make it back to Forza 5, unfortunate but I got over it, lot of other cars to drive. PD needs to get with the times, the competition sure has.

Back