The new points system...

  • Thread starter Thread starter yeti
  • 17 comments
  • 1,151 views
Messages
3,165
Messages
yeti_c
Hello all,

I've been thinking about the new information that the TGS has bought us... and something has been nagging at the back of my mind about the points system that is to be introduced...

And now I've worked out what it is...

GT4:Prologue...

Ok... Bear with me....

Prologue has a points system involved with it... It gives you 25 points for a bronze trophy, 50 for a silver and 100 for a gold. (Once you have gold you can get more points depending upon your times (Except for a few of the tests that have 100 max's for overtaking people.)

So...

The points system in Prologue... is it based on the same points? Will it therefore transfer over?

This also lends credence to the fact that these points will be in Simulation mode... and not just Arcade mode like some people have suggested/hoped?!

Anyone else got any ideas about these point systems?!

C.
 
To me I think points system is dependant on too many variables, especially in Simulation Mode.

HP, Weight, Different Tyres etc and the different combinations of each decide a cars true performance. how can you subjectively put points to that...

I'd rather see, like I posted in another thread, a lap time database or something that you submit times to via an ingame code.

But inside this code it holds the cars information that set the time thus its shown as such...

DEEP FOREST
56.708 * 2001 Dodge Viper * 560hp * 1560kg * Sport Tyres
57.002 * 2002 Lotus Exige * 380hp * 875kg * Road Tyres

This way people make their own mind up to which is the better time... In this example, I'd go for the person who drove the Lotus...

However if it was in Arcade mode with 'Standard' Cars I could see it as being relevant abit more...
 
Points from Prologue will carry over to your GT Mode in GT4... KY already alluded to a bonus to those who played prologue when they started GT4 and there it is.

Personally i think the points system is bullocks. It in no way will make the game more competitive/challenging and that's the biggest drawback of the GT series. Now hopefully they will improve the AI significantly, but without cars of the same class racing against each other, it doesn't matter how good the AI is, ie. if you're driving a tuned Skyline or Viper you'll destroy a stock Mini, no matter how good the AI is. Further to that, this is how real racing is governed... so give it to us in the Real Driving Simulator. ;)

While i agree with the sentiments that you have to keep in mind the "average" gamer, I still feel with speciality games like Gran Tursimo, you'll win more points (and hence increase sales) by giving more reality and true-to-life experience in your product. Racers aren't overall top sellers, b/c they don't have as broad appeal as FPS' or RPG's... so embrace that, and give the enthusiats, and quasi-enthusiasts (who make up the majority of your sales) things that they want... eg. buy the car with 1 type of transmission (with the applicable weight, settings, and performance differences), race fields governed by bhp, power-to-weight, manufacturers, and the such and limit the campy, mass-market material to the appropriately named "arcade mode".
 
Wasn't the bonus just that you didn't have to redo the license tests?
 
I my opinion the point system is going to be one of the most importaint aspects of the game in that it will effect the speed and momentum of the game. So I hope they don't mess it up.
 
I haven't played with GT4P but there is no Simulation mode in this version. Consequently, because you cannot buy any parts, they did not give any money.

I hope that the new ''point system'' in GT4 will be translated into actual money so you will still be able to manage your budget. If they decide to award more money if you chose to enter a race with a low HP car, that's perfect for me.
 
Yes I agree but it has never been mentioned so I'm just assuming the worst so that I won't be disapointed.
 
a points system??? like in Racing:Evolution? or does the points system rate the car's overall performance and stats?
 
MugenPower
a points system??? like in Racing:Evolution? or does the points system rate the car's overall performance and stats?
It's not yet known how the points system will work exactly, but I imagine it will effect the amount of credits you are awarded for a race win. Or, at least I hope it will.

It could be something along the line of an earn ratio. Your credit award would be the first ratio number. Second, your car, in relation to the AI cars, will be expressed in a number that will be either higher, if you use a car slower than the AI cars, or lower, if you use a car that has more power or racing parts, than the AI cars. This could give you more or less credits than racing without this ratio. For an example of this in use, look below.

The credits you win in a race will be the value of the first ratio number. If the award for a win is 2000 credits, then that is what you would earn. This means your car would have a performance rating of 1, for a ratio of 1 to 1.

In this case 1 = 2,000 credits. Car performance rating 1 = equal to AI cars.

1x1=1 Or, 2,000 credits X 1= 2,000 credits awarded. (2,000 X 1 = 2,000)

But, if you use a car that is more powerful, and has more performance parts than the AI cars, your car number level will drop changing the ratio. For example, using a car with 100 more HP than the AI, along with some racing parts, will cause your car number to fall, to say .89, for a ratio of 1 to .89.

Therefore, 2,000 X .89 = 1,780 credits awarded, and not the full 2,000.

Likewise, you would earn more credits if you used a car with less racing parts, and less HP, then your car ratio level will increase, which would give you more credits. Use a car against the AI with these less parts and HP, and your car rating would increase to say, 1.33, giving you a ratio of 1 to 1.33.

So, the earned credits for that race are 2,000 x 1.33 = 2,660 credits awarded.
 
This sounds like an interesting theory...

To take it one level further you would need to discuss the ratio calculation part though...

I'll take a stab first...

Lets say we have 5 variables...

Average HP. (Rated in BHP or PS)
Average Torque. (Rated in Lb fT or Nm)
Average Weight. (Rated in KG)
Average Tyre choice. Not sure how you would rate this... as it would depend on type of race.
Average Downforce. (Rated in G)

You would then compare each of your stats with yours so here's an example.

AVG = 500 Power, 300 Torque, 1000 Weight, Hard Tyres, 0.5 Downforce.

You = 400 Power, 350 Torque, 900 Weight, Hard Tyres, 0.7 Downforce.

So = -100 Power, +50 Torque, +100 Weight, No tyre difference, + 0.2 Downforce.

Now we would need to assign some reasonable factors to this...

So...
Power = 0.2
Torque = 0.1
Weight = 0.2
Tyre = N/A (Still haven't worked this one out yet!)
Downforce = 50.

So the ratio would calculate as

(0.2*-100)+(0.1*50)+(0.2*100)+(50*.2)
= -20+ 5 + 20 + 10
= 15
OK... now divide this by 100... and you get .15

So your car is 1.15 the car of your opposition...

Therefore you'd have 2000 * .85 = 1700 points.

C.
 
Excellent, sombody understood what I was meaning. It was too early for me to come up with the car rating ratio. I'll say you nailed it.

But, some things should be looked at. Your use of the downforce should not be considered. Because, there is both a negative and a positive side to using more or less of it. So, how are we to judge what amount of downforce should be considered an advantage, or not?

Second, what about parts? They all wont effect the power to weight ratio, like the clutch, flywheel and transmission, and the tires you mentioned. So, you would need to make a point scale for those, specificly.
 
Too complicated.

I guess it will be just like some kind of handicap system - by driving with car that is more powerful in some range you'll get one multiplayer. Same goes for weight. As the car is lighter/ heavier the handicap will increase/decrease.

So you'll get some points for 1st place, times the both handicap equals points total.

Don't think they'll use lots of math there, that would be totally unnecasary. Look the B-Spec mode for the pure simplification of the process - even if it seems rather complicated, basicaly it is very simple and there goes the whole math for making the game appealing to everybody.

PS
In Prologue, you get additional points for finishing the certain test in crtaiin amount of time. It wasn't displayed nowhere, but people with +10 000 points can tell something about it.
 
You've got a point on the Downforce front... I'm always in the mind set that I put full DF on my cars as I prefer to be better through the bends than the straights... So downforce could be rated on a track by track basis... Also amount of downforce will affect tyre usage...

I see what you mean about Drivetrain parts... the ability to change gear quickly (triple plate clutch) is always an added bonus...

And of course... I forgot about Nitro!!! Maybe that can have a penalty bonus each time you use it in the race... (100 points a shot or something?!)

I wonder if we'll get shown the points calculation process in the game or whether it'll just be on the screen when we finish... or maybe we'd get told the possible points before the race?!

C.
 
I've heard that the points you carry over from Prologue will give you an extra 5% bhp on every car in your garage for every 1000 points gained from the licences completed.








....whats that you say, what about us Americans who can't get Prologue?




Tough! ;)
 
amar212
Too complicated.

PS
In Prologue, you get additional points for finishing the certain test in crtaiin amount of time. It wasn't displayed nowhere, but people with +10 000 points can tell something about it.
Hmm,as you said....complicated!
Let's take lesson#1 in Prologue for example:
If you drive very fast at the begining,you can get over 500 points....but for some lessons later you just get 100-150 points,that's a litlle wierd and complicated and I'm curious how will PD solve this in GT4,with this new point sistem? 👍
 
amar212
but people with +10 000 points can tell something about it.

Except the coffee breaks , i have all licenses in gold. and somehow i can't imagine 10.000 points. i guess i have something about 5.700.

@topic:
i think, the calculation will include offtrack rides and opponent touches, as well es clean braking, slipstream overtaking and other driving skills.
 
Back