The nightmare that is AI

Messages
46
What the hell's up with GT3's AI? First racing against the Lancer VII Prototype at Tahiti Maze, it gets stuck accelerating against a wall for 2 laps before the wall runs out then it continues on its way.

Then in the Race of Red Emblem in Pro League, the AI just CANNOT race high-powered Skylines at all! My Nismo GT-R couldn't go as fast or accelerate as well as any of the competitors, but because they keep spinning out in turns at Grand Valley II, I was over 1 min ahead by the end of 10 laps, and I lapped a particularly nasty AI driver twice! He spun out on relatively straight sections of the course! I think the only reason those cars almost beat me in SS11-II is cuz there was no sand to hit, only walls to ride.

In the American Championship in Amateur League, the Shelby Cobra always never applies enough brake in the first turn at Laguna Seca and hits the sand EVERY TIME, it drops behind about 15-20 secs every lap. And another car, not sure which since I'm always ahead of them (Corvette of some type?), always runs straight into the wall at the corkscrew, which half the time confuses the car behind it and it does the same thing only not as bad. They lose about 10 secs a lap too.

You get the picture. I was reading about the bad AI but I didn't believe it was that bad until now. It might be funny to watch a Skyline spin in circles as the game overcorrects its own turns, but after a min or two it's shameful. It looks like me trying to drive a fully powered Viper without any of the assists on (and let me tell you, that's bad ;) )! I don't remember anything this bad from GT2, though I haven't played it too much yet. I expect MUCH more from a premier racing simulation series.

I don't pretend to know the amount of computer code that goes into these games, but if they can make sunlight reflect off the asphalt, they can make cars brake better, accelerate more smoothly, and yes, perhaps even TURN!.

Are there any more races I should watch out for with AI glitches that anyone knows about specifically? Wish some of the Vitz's would **** up in the Pro League. :rolleyes:
 
I've heard so much about this crazy AI but i've never seen any evidence of it. I can ram a car on the first turn of Laguna Seca while going about 150 in my F-1 and all the car will do is slide into the sand and by the time i get to the corkscrew they'll be right back behind me in 2nd place. I've never seen the AI get stuck on a wall or do anything relativly crazy.
 
i have on loads of occaisions for example
once i ws racing around the cote d'azur wagainst f1's 4 a challenge when i got to about the last two corners (the nasty hairpin:irked: ) i saw the polyphony 2 that i was lapping try to turn into the pits.but because his tyres were red hot he just went too far and got stuck on the wall for 3 laps then i just got sick of seeing him every bloody lap so i skidded 180 degrees and pushed him back towards the pits cos i needed 2 pit in as well.:lol: :rolleyes:
and then every time i race in the allstars cup in pro league if there is an esperante gt1 no matter how hot its tyres are it will always lose control after the corkscrew on leguna seca:lol: :rolleyes: i mean even i can control the esperante on leguna corkscrew better than that:lol: :D :p :cool: and im not great:lol:
 
Not to mention the MS Elise at the Super Speedway enduro. 100 laps in a row, he blew Turn 1, going way too deep, locking them up, then shooting down to the infield about halfway through the turn. The single easiest turn in GT3, in a car that handles like a skateboard, and he can't make it.

The other thing that bugs the tar out of me is the AI pit strategy. Nobody - and I mean nobody - pits on the next-to-last lap.
 
One piece that I've always speculated on is the "AI boost when loosing". If you've passed an AI can in Amateur, or Professinoal mode, the game compensates and gives a bit of boost. While in most ccases, it is a good thing to get a boost. WHen you give a car like the Shelby Cobra More HP it is not.

As an experiment, I followed a number of AI cars around different tracks to see how well they drove. Although in some cases, they do drive horrendously even without the boost.

Just part of the game...

AO
 
Make you right Der Alta.

Most noticable in the rally sections of the game. They're 10 seconds down at the start of a lap and on your tail at the lap end..... How does that work?
 
gran turismo all star/professional league


i was in a supra rz and i needed to win the seattle circuit 2 and the r390 was in the lead in the points cahmpionship so at the first turn...i pushed to the right and he got stuck on the 90 degree wall and he never escaped! for likfe 15 laps....no notion of reverse what a stupid AI:lol: :odd: :odd:
 
The only time I've experienced this kinda thing is during one of the championship races ( can't remember which one ) in Laguna Seca , the AI always seem to screw up at the last corner , into the sand . The Corvette C5R always screws up there for some reason .
 
yea..I've heard about the stupid AI's...but I've never really seen it happen in the game except for the Evo VII Rally in Tahiti Maze that got stuck to the wall?...
 
Yehh the exact same thing happend to me on Tahiti the final race.
I was racing at Seattle reverse cant remember which championship but a GT40 got stuck at the first chicane for a few laps I overtook just as he freed himself and he retook me and I just could not catch him I was driving a P002 (F1) by the way. Its embarasing to admit ok I'm not the fastest driver ever but he was flyingway I have never raced a tougher AI car.:O
 
You admitted you are gay while using a F-1 against a Cobra. When will this rookies learn...:rolleyes:
 
I bash them when they get caught up,... I guess I feal sorry for them,....

But yes,... the worst I've seen are the JGTC cars at LSR,... they've killed some awesome runs on my part,... every lap you need to watch for them f-n up in the screw and last 180.

As for AI boost,.. well,. the computer has a tendancy to make you think your going fast. In competitve AI races, many times he'll drive SLOWER so you can keep up,. if you all of a suddon decide to kick it in,... he'll speed up too.
 
Laguna Seca Endo...I've seen some cars kick up some serious sand on the last turn. One car in particular stayed there for a full 5 second!!

I just shake my head and win the race.:cool: :lol:
 
Well
here goes my theory:
When you are in second place, and are on your opponent's tail, the AI will give a very good boost to the #1 car.
However, if you pull away from him and pass him, and take the lead over him for a good margin, the AI will give up the boost and return to normal state
 
I've seen an AI car back up once. At Cote D'Azur, I cheated and pushed a car at the last hairpin (what he was in my way!), he skidded with his nose against the wall. In my rearview I saw him back up and correct himself before he fell out of view.

I second the idea of having real artificial INTELLIGENCE in GT4! I guess no game can be perfect, but as long as they try. :)

Also, sexuality aside Tercel_driver, I consider myself a beginner. I still can't win some races, but I don't have all the cars I want yet. In time, ;)
 
In the pro GT al japan the Pennzoil nismo was driving like it was in a slalom after the corkscrew at laguna, i was in a gt1 race car, lapped it every 4 laps.
Also the griffith 500 at the pro spider & roadster, at core d'azur it slams into the wall at the tight turn after the tunnel
 
If only they (it=wat do you refer a comp to being anyways) would learn.......
 
maybe they should have different paths that the AI's can follow...cuz right now they are all ramming into each other cuz they are all following the same path...but which would reuire more programing...
 
Yup, silly AI.

Anybody ever see an AI car get stuck at the bottom of the long hill at Monaco? Hilarious stuff.

Also, has anybody noticed that it's usually the same cars that don't seem to have a brain? For example, the computer always makes the Panoz Esperante look bad... in almost every single race I've been in, the computer has ordered up a heaping plate of oversteer with the Esperante and at the same time left its brakes back in the pits.
 
Originally posted by sphinx87
In the pro GT al japan the Pennzoil nismo was driving like it was in a slalom after the corkscrew at laguna, i was in a gt1 race car, lapped it every 4 laps.
I just ran that this morning in a stock Viper LM, and the AI was brutally bad. I lapped both the GT-Rs twice in 20 laps, and the Denso Supra once. It was actually kind of cool to watch from behind, and see them wipe out so much. I never knew who would be waiting in a cloud of tire smoke after the Corkscrew and after the last turn.

The NSXs, on the other hand, were hooked up.
 
Back