The Nintendo Game Boy Turns 25

• Thread starter Robin
  • 6 comments

Robin

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
So the Game Boy launched 25 years ago today in Japan on the 21st April 1989 and basically changed the world of gaming, especially portable gaming.

I thought I would dig out my good old grey and purple brick today which is the Japanese version to see how its doing and take a picture. The box, accessories and games are still in mint condition.

I can't believe how many hours I played on this thing, it was my first games console (I never owned any home console before or after it until the PS2). On that tiny green screen I must have played Pokemon Red what felt like an eternity. F1 Race was also a game I couldn't stop playing as a kid, it was the first cart I got.

For those too young to remember (and boy does it make you feel old when there are people that can drive that where born AFTER this came out) here is a good summary vid from YouTube.

I agree with the guy about how damn cool and futuristic the box art still looks and how great it was in the old days that you actually got the stuff you needed included in the box unlike today how they make you buy every damn thing separately. I also found the picture of the 'kids from the future' on the back quite funny, they look like the fell off the set of Star Trek TNG!

The next Game Boy I bought was the first generation purple Advance. I hope Nintendo release a special 3DS XL for the anniversary.

So anyone have any fond memories of the grey brick?

Robin

Last edited:
Oh man it's been that long already? I also have the wonderful 'grey brick' on which many hours were put through it playing good ol' Tetris. I can't even remember what most games I've had for it, they're lying around somewhere. For this occasion I'll go digging around for them and the (comparing to your's) pretty beat up Game Boy.

Your collection is impressive and almost makes me want to get in on it. Almost. :D 👍

I never had an original Game Boy, but I spent plenty of time playing Pokémon Blue on my grape-colored Game Boy Color. I also enjoyed Motocross Maniacs 2 and the Game Boy Camera. I wish I had Metroid II for those family vacations because I would have had more patience for its limitations then.

The nostalgia you have just awoken within me...! :D I don't actually have my original Game Boy because my 4 year old self was very careless with it. :( :P I do have my Game Boy Color, which I still play every now and then despite only having six games for it. My favourite by far was Tetris, and was IIRC the reason the Game Boy did so well. Sure, I didn't have to buy Tetris but it was the game I put the most hours into because it was fun. Something Nintendo is still good at providing to this day in fact. I have pretty much every other Nintendo handheld in my possession too: a Game Boy Advance, Advance SP, DS and a 2DS.

At the time, the only games you could play on the go were these cheap and tacky Tiger video games (which plain up sucked) and the Master System wasn't exactly the big thing either.

So here's to the Game Boy.

I remember playing Pokémon on the original Gameboy in the local bank here yeara ago... Man, those times! :D I still have my Advance, working, with all my games. Many great times with that too. 👍

Briefly had a go on Tetris and glad to see I've improved since 1989 :lol: It's still really addictive, in fact I want to go and give it another play! Feels like being a kid again.

Downhill Dino
Your collection is impressive and almost makes me want to get in on it. Almost. :D 👍

Thanks 👍, stuff was really well made back then and it stays in great condition if you take some care with it. Even packaging was so much more robust and high quality. I don't think people's 3DS' and games will be working in 25 years time even if you don't throw them around!

I used to play Tetris on my original Gameboy so much I used to see tetris shapes when I closed my eyes!

Unfortunately, my niece "borrowed" my Gameboy and I haven't seen it since.

Back