The Nissan GT-R Concept LM Race Car is insane.

• Thread starter Zardoz
  • 22 comments
I finally got around to running the Dream Car Championship in the Extreme hall. The prize car is the Nissan GT-R Concept LM Race Car ('02).

My first clue that something was up was when I gave it an oil change and spotted the Playstation 2 logos all over it. We all know what PD does with cars that carry Sony trademarks and brand names. I also couldn't help but notice how gigantic the wing was.

Next I was surprised to find that Stage IV power puts out no less than 1100 HP, which is way more than any of the other fantasy "dream" race cars PD conjures up, at least that I know of. Its almost double the paltry 580 maximum of the Honda S2000 LM that I used in the Dream Car series.

But the real shocker was the transmission: This thing has a 7-speed, just like the Formula One! Is this the only non-F1 that has one? It's sure the first one I've come across.

With all these indicators, I was expecting something special when I took it out for a spin on Sarthe II (in the 24-hour), and that's what I got. Using stock suspension and LSD, no ASM, TCS at 8, R2/R2 tires, 3/3 brakes, and a tranny trick gearset, I burned off a 3:04 lap on just my third time around as the thing stormed away to a 9-second lead over the Minolta Toyota.

It did that lap in spite of hitting "only" 227 on the straight, which is nearly 40 MPH slower than the fastest Le Mans cars. It has phenomenal brakes, and in stock form is stuck to the track so hard it reminds me of the 88C-V. Its rock-stable on the straight and throughout the bumpy sections after the Mulsanne Corner. Its one of the easiest cars to drive in the entire game.

I let B-Spec Bob try it, and he managed a 3:14.4 lap. That's tantalizingly close to the 3:11 he needs to be capable of to be competitive in the 24-hour, so maybe with some chassis tweaking we can get him there. He'll need to do that or better, because the one drawback of this beast is it's fuel consumption. It only goes six laps on Sarthe II before it needs to pit, and has 9 liters of gas left.

I've got to try it in the GTWC. I'm sure it'll do just fine.

Nice write up Zardoz 👍 I haven't fully tested this car yet, but I took it around Nurburgring a couple of times and it matches or even outhandles the Mclaren F1. The seven speed is just a great surprise as well. I'm curious, did you happen to see a lot of sparks fly out from the bottom of the car on the replays? It makes for a great light show :)

Guyver 1
...I'm curious, did you happen to see a lot of sparks fly out from the bottom of the car on the replays? It makes for a great light show...

Oh, yeah. Big time. Its almost as bad as the Peugeot 905.

That means its bottoming out on the track, right? That should screw it up, but oh, no, not that car. PD wouldn't allow a little thing like that to slow it down.

Of course, maybe it isn't actually bottoming at all, and PD just programmed in the sparks for fun...

WHAT?!?! They ruined the ZZII? That was one of my top five favorite cars in GT3!

Edit: And as far as I'm concerned, the Vertigo ALWAYS sucked in GT.

There is a 5? series (Black Mans Willy) 👍 car that has seven gears BMW - foghorn_100 :)

Zardoz
I finally got around to running the Dream Car Championship in the Extreme hall. The prize car is the Nissan GT-R Concept LM Race Car ('02).

My first clue that something was up was when I gave it an oil change and spotted the Playstation 2 logos all over it. We all know what PD does with cars that carry Sony trademarks and brand names. I also couldn't help but notice how gigantic the wing was.

Next I was surprised to find that Stage IV power puts out no less than 1100 HP, which is way more than any of the other fantasy "dream" race cars PD conjures up, at least that I know of. Its almost double the paltry 580 maximum of the Honda S2000 LM that I used in the Dream Car series.

But the real shocker was the transmission: This thing has a 7-speed, just like the Formula One! Is this the only non-F1 that has one? It's sure the first one I've come across.

With all these indicators, I was expecting something special when I took it out for a spin on Sarthe II (in the 24-hour), and that's what I got. Using stock suspension and LSD, no ASM, TCS at 8, R2/R2 tires, 3/3 brakes, and a tranny trick gearset, I burned off a 3:04 lap on just my third time around as the thing stormed away to a 9-second lead over the Minolta Toyota.

It did that lap in spite of hitting "only" 227 on the straight, which is nearly 40 MPH slower than the fastest Le Mans cars. It has phenomenal brakes, and in stock form is stuck to the track so hard it reminds me of the 88C-V. Its rock-stable on the straight and throughout the bumpy sections after the Mulsanne Corner. Its one of the easiest cars to drive in the entire game.

I let B-Spec Bob try it, and he managed a 3:14.4 lap. That's tantalizingly close to the 3:11 he needs to be capable of to be competitive in the 24-hour, so maybe with some chassis tweaking we can get him there. He'll need to do that or better, because the one drawback of this beast is it's fuel consumption. It only goes six laps on Sarthe II before it needs to pit, and has 9 liters of gas left.

I've got to try it in the GTWC. I'm sure it'll do just fine.

CSS
Because... ? :confused:

Huh?

I'm just saying that people (like you) are posting names of cars that have them, so we're finding out which ones do, which is kinda nice to know, that's all. Sorry if I confused you...

Notice with stock setting the car just spins in place... and gets stuck in 1st gear? I had to tweak the hell out of it, and even now... it has weaker acceleration and top speed than the motorshow version.

Why don't you post your tune settings for this beast?

This car isn't very good in my opinion, however the GT-R Concept Tokyo Motorshow '01 is a great car...

I got a better time with the GT-R Motorshow on the 1/4 mile than I did with the Spec C WRX or any other car.

sorry for reviving this old thread, but i have to say this: pay attention to the drivetrain of hte GT-R racecar and tokyo motorshow edition.. Racecar has RWD, and motorshow edition has AWD, which explains the "poor" acceleration of the racecar..

As far as I know (or so it was said in the GT Concept) the GT-R Concept has some kind of a CVT transmission with pre-set gear ratios. That's why it shifts so fast, actually it doesn't shift at all. It really is a wonderful feeling to see everyone else slowing down a bit when shifting from 1st to the 2nd and you're just blowing past them... :lol:

Back