The Nurburgring 4 Hour Race Weekend

• Thread starter Aqua F1
  • 4 comments
England
Surrey
TomM_F1
The Nurburgring 4 Hour Race Weekend

Sunday 17th July - 7:02 am

It was a cold, frosty morning as the Sun lit up the Nurburgring Nordschleife, birds could be heard tweeting and the tree's moaned in the gentle wind. Later on, everything would change. 12 cars would scream into the first corner, the engines cackling and roaring, far from the peacefulness now, the sounds vibrating off the forest and then the cheer from the people would come. The atmosphere will become electric and millions will be tuning in. For me, this is everything, this is the 4 hour endurance around the Nurburgring.

2 days earlier

Friday 15th July - 7:46 am

I woke up in unfamiliar surroundings in what is a very uncomfortable sofa bed. I was staying in the Der Nürburgring Hotels, located several miles away from the Nurburgring Nordschleife and the English translation was literally 'The Nurburgring Hotel'. That's a very imaginative name! It was a fairly stock room, a bed, cupboard, not to forget the staple potted plant and on top of all of this, I had the luxury of sleeping in the same room as my race engineer, Adam Flint. Of course I end up with the sofa bed so I'm neglected to an itchy back in the morning.

I suppose I should explain to you who we are. We are ARTA Racing, a small Japanese based racing team and for this weekend I'll be driving the Garaiya '08. Because of funding issues, we've been reduced to just a 30 man workforce for this while the main base and several main mechanics are back home working out the ideal strategy to take base on the data I'm meant to collect later today and early tomorrow.. I'm also the only driver with a handful of sponsorship money but hopefully not in the eyes of the others, as a pay driver. I certainly don't think I am but you can never be sure in the merry-go-round of racing.

"All right John? Ready to get this race weekend underway?" asked Adam, coming out of the bathroom with an unmistakable white blob on his face that distinctively looked like shaving cream.

"Err, Adam? Your face?" I pointed towards the guilty spot and watched as Adam quickly retreated back to the bathroom to inspect this mysterious new development.

"Oh, woops!" came a muffled reply as Adam found the source. He came back out, grinning per normal, "OK, its 8 o'clock now, boss said 8:30 sharp downstairs in the reception area. Better get going and get some breakfast because I'm starving!"

Sure enough we ate, me choosing an milkshake with muesli while Adam took the more inviting bacon and beans. Afterwards, as we were told to do so, we arrived at the front of reception where we were greeted by the rest of the 30 strong crew.

"All you need is inside John, racing gear and not to mention the car!" boomed Shinichi Wakayama, a man with a very loud voice indeed(!)who also spoke exceptional English along with the others, "Well then, lets get going!"

3 Hours Later - 10:57 am

"OK John, the track looks fine, no threat of rain today to spoil practice. Just get in as many laps as possible. This track sure is overwhelming!" I sat patiently in the Garaiya, deep in thought. 3 minutes were left on the clock before practice session 1 began and I had had a sudden rush of nerves as I realized what I was about to do. This was no longer a friendly race taken at Grand Valley Speedway, this was a proper race weekend full of proper teams, sponsors, even grid girls! Suddenly, a growl blasted out into the room, snarling at anyone anywhere. The engine had been fired up and the mechanics dropped the car to the ground.

I knew that this had been the moment I'd been waiting,

(My race engineer signaled me to exit the pits)

The one I'd finally prove my worth,

(I lined up at the red light signal at the end of the pit lane)

Prove to the world what I could do,

(The red light disintegrated and emerged back as green)

This,

(As the car pulled away, the engine screaming and the tyres screeching)

Is my moment.

(To be continued...)

So, what do you think? :dopey: Any suggestions on how to improve it? Its my first time so any help would be very appreciated!

If you didn't get it, this story is about a man named John who takes part in the Nurburgring 4 Hour race. All of the details in the race itself will be true to life from me playing including the car and the opponents so stay tuned as John takes his first ride around the Nurb! :D:tup:

Last edited:
I should point out that the race (in GT5, not real life) actually has just 12 competitors, but other than that it's a decent start.

That's just very good!!! Nice writup, I want to see the rest... I though of doing the same hahahahaha

Back