The overtakes thread

• Thread starter mattikake
  • 17 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Overtaking during racing is like scoring goals in footy - total satisfaction and yay moments. It's what many play it for. It's chess at 150mph. Out-thinking your opponent, their moves and counter-moves. Trying to second guess their thoughts.

Naturally league racing gets you the best moves because you have some trust and don't get taken out by bad losership.

Anyone record their best stuff? I love to see what the aliens are up to.

To clear out a load of old replay data I put together an overtakes compilation of my own. It's not everything of course but it did bring back some memories.

Lets see yours please!

Edit: dur forgot some play against AI rather than online. That simply can't count because ime the AI always jumps out of the way even on max aggression. Online racing against real people only!

Last edited:
No-one else been having fun then?

Yeah, having a lot of fun, but I am fraid what you show in the video is not fun for all :) Did not want to say first time you posted it, but since you are mentioning it again, first 2 overtakes in the video are dive bombs, you pushed the other guys out of the track to overtake them. In overtake 3, you pushed the guy on the left again out of the track, causing both other cars to crash into each other...Didn't watch the rest after that. Apologies if this message appears rude, just my personal opinion.

I made it through 10 mins to get a good feel seeing as you took the trouble to make it. Don't want to sound like a movie critic but either making it 5 mins or splitting into several segments each a particular car or track might have helped. Half agree with @cpcdem but would like to add that it's obvious you are a lot faster than most of your opponents in these clips. Problem is just being faster doesn't guarantee the right to pass anyone the moment you appear in their rear view mirrors. It's like if they don't move out of your way you're gonna pass them anyway to heck with the etiquette.
Seeing as you ARE a good technical driver for sure I'd have enjoyed much more seeing you being more patient and waiting for a safe opportunity to show your skills, like in a game of cat and mouse.
Finally with regard to your footie analogy, I'd say a pass is just that, a good pass or tackle mainly and should not be viewed as the glory moment itself but a step toward either winning the race or taking the lead (in a race series each win would be like a goal).
If you string together enough good passes in a row without making contact with the opposition then you might win the race /score a goal! A clean tackle would be a successful block from an opponent, a dirty tackle would be a ram or punt. You get the picture I'm sure!
Like I said you have skills, I'd much rather see a video of you against a single other good racer one on one over a few laps rather than this one with you charging (your own words) through a whole pack of mostly inferior opposition .
:)

OK, to be more fair, I watched now the rest of your video, most of it is I think a lot better, for the most part nice, clean and fair overtakes! Just IMO, it would be better to remove from that video the first couple minutes or so and 2-3 overtakes from the later part. I also agree with Sloppy, I would had liked to see some more of the fierce battles with drivers with skill level closer to yours.

Btw, I think it fits in your thread, here's a short video I had compiled some months ago, with some 3,4, or even almost 5 wide battles we were having for several laps in a row in a league race in Red Bull Ring with the IRL guys. No matter who won or lost that day, we were all ecstatic after that race!

Hah well I was expecting critique. It wouldn't be a forum without so no Barney to any opinions. I should've cut out the first few because they were against slower opposition in a league recruitment lobby. Btw the one where I go down the middle at bugatti (overtake 3) the guy in red was trying to take me out and missed and took out the other guy, because he tried to turn in on me despite me being fully alongside on the inside (overtake 2). Suffice to say he wasn't invited to the league! The skyline is very fast in a straight line but crap on the brakes so while it may look a lot faster it's not so much over a lap. And yes a couple of dives were more evasive action than an intentional move...

Anyway it was more a collection of history than my favourites per se. Just clearing out disk space of old replays.

Edit: btw some of these guys are considered to be near aliens on ps4 - super150ford, the bag, jac1234, robif1, markoes_hlb, Mr_Bentley... So I could put the precursor catching to the one chance to overtake moment but the video would be 10 times longer.

Edit2: some of the league races have reverse grids which means you need to gain places fast in the opening laps. So yeah I may be faster than some I'm overtaking but there are faster guys starting behind me... It's frantic and fun.

@cpcdem awesome scrap! That looked like a he'll of a lot of fun and what it's all about imo.

Last edited:
OK, to be more fair, I watched now the rest of your video, most of it is I think a lot better, for the most part nice, clean and fair overtakes! Just IMO, it would be better to remove from that video the first couple minutes or so and 2-3 overtakes from the later part. I also agree with Sloppy, I would had liked to see some more of the fierce battles with drivers with skill level closer to yours.

Btw, I think it fits in your thread, here's a short video I had compiled some months ago, with some 3,4, or even almost 5 wide battles we were having for several laps in a row in a league race in Red Bull Ring with the IRL guys. No matter who won or lost that day, we were all ecstatic after that race!
Swarm of angry bees! Close clean racing like that is especially exciting as you don't want to be the first guy to make contact. You had a wall of Ginettas to get past there thanks for sharing

Swarm of angry bees! Close clean racing like that is especially exciting as you don't want to be the first guy to make contact. You had a wall of Ginettas to get past there thanks for sharing

Yeah, it was so great! The slip stream makes a huge difference in this cars, so it often results to such swarms. To be honest, over the course of more than 10 laps that this 5-car fight lasted, there were a few contacts as well, I just didn't include them in the video :). But there was nothing major, nobody complained about anything at the end, since in general it was so fierce and respectful racing! Now I do not even remember which of those 5 cars was mine, I did not include the standings window because it was not really important who won and who lost, we were all just extremely happy afterwards for having such a great fight!

Just found these by chance (wasn't even searching for it. Man I'm sometimes so impressed with yt's recommended videos algorithms)

And this

Tbf to myself these are mostly taking advantage of mistakes rather than crafting an overtake from nothing. Stuff I wouldn't even bother recording but at least someone else has been at it. :)

Probably should've called it "a day in the life of u-rated public lobby racing...". No, now I'm just being cynical. :D

This is good. The slide partly by accident than by design but takes maximum advantage of it

And this is simply amazing! An overtake that will never ever be bettered in real life by anyone! ;)

@Sloppy Shades @cpcdem an overtake just now with added context...

Btw I was going to quit after quali but the host turned wait for race ready off. Glad I stayed for the race now. :)

Hey dude now THAT was a much more interesting video! Although I think you will agree that ai backmarker did a brilliant job of making him go wide while you went narrow and then blocking him. Anyway kudos to you for remaining patient and waiting for the right moment. Oscherleben 1st corner.... Hmmm... I couldn't race with damage off cos of people like that!
Once again, well made video tightly edited and illustrated. Ironic how just ONE pass with the right back story and editing can be way more interesting than a whole string of meaningless passes !
Keep it up bro

I prefer being patient. Usually a lot of pressure will cause a mistake but overtaking is more fun. As I say, it's like chess at 150mph. Absolutely love it when it comes off (watching in real life too).

Yeah, really nice! And he was very aggressive in his defending, nice to see you did not attempt a wild move in return, but only did the overtake when the opportunity arrived. Good stuff!

Back