The Pacific

  • Thread starter Thread starter Solid Lifters
  • 15 comments
  • 4,214 views

Solid Lifters

In Memoriam
Messages
19,310
United States
Inland Empire SoCal
Messages
SOLID_LIFTERS
The Pacific
2010 TV Miniseries HBO

Wiki

Fan Site

ThePacificIntertitle.jpg


[YouTubeHD]e99B80crU3E[/YouTubeHD]

thepacificImage2.jpg


20080316-pacific.jpg

​


The Pacific is a 10 part HBO TV miniseries that will be the Pacific Theater of Band of Brothers. Produced by Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks and Gary Gotetzman, The Pacific is set to air in the USA first sometime around March 2010.

The Pacific is based on the two memoirs by Eugene Sledge and Robert Leckie. The series will tell their stories and a fellow Marine John Basilone during their battles against the Empire of Japan. The story will involve well-known historical battles involving the 1st Marine Division at Guadalcanal, Cape Gloucester, Peleliu and Okinawa as well as Basilone's involvement at Iwo Jima.
 
I've been looking forward to this for a long time, I though Band of Brothers was exceptional and this is looking like it will be a fantastic series too.
 
I hope the BBC get the rights to this in the UK. Band of Brothers was amazing, if this is half as good it'll still be great.
 
When saw the trailer for this for the first time a month ago or so I was suprised to see little Timmy from Jurrasic park, I had to check it was really him on IMDB.
 
Yes Band Of Brothers was brilliant.
I believe this comes fantastic!!
 
The first episode came and went, but I don't know... It didn't seem as good as Band of Brothers. Doesn't matter. I'm still going to watch it.
 
Matching the effort from Band of Brothers is no easy task. In fact, I am very skeptical that they will be able to produce anything that would belong in the same league as the Band of Brothers.

I'll get around to it when the Blu-ray's out. If I keep my expectation somewhat low, it should be pretty decent. :D
 
i've been looking forward to this for a long time, i though band of brothers was exceptional and this is looking like it will be a fantastic series too.

+ 1
 
I can't wait to watch this, Band of Brothers was an amazing mini-series. Has anyone read the book by Stephen Ambrose? My expectations for the Pacific will probably be to high.
 
Second episode was a bit better. Tons of action, too. Maybe that's why I liked it more.
 
Finally got the chance to watch the first two episodes of this and I am impressed with it. I'm positive a lot of people will say that Band of Brothers was a better series seeing as over the years its become a classic and the go to series to beat for any move or war related show. But I think if people will take a step back and not look at it as a continuation of the Band of Brothers series and give it a chance it will turn out just as well. That aside I'm looking forward to the next episode.
 
It's good so far but unlike Band of Brothers the characters haven't been developed nearly as much in the opening episodes, I think largely due to the lack of the introduction "training" episode. On the one hand I can understand them not wanting to do that again because that would only serve to promote more Band of Brothers comparisons, but on the other hand it does mean your being introduced to many of the characters little bit by little bit. Someone died in Episode 2 who I'd seen around but I didn't really know his character and as a result his death was pretty much just another death, only the camera focused on his body. So in that respect Band of Brothers had a better start, by the end of episode 1 most of the main characters were well developed. I think The Pacific will develop the characters more though, it's just going to be a slower process. With all that said I have enjoyed the opening episodes a lot and I am not comparing the series to Band of Brothers, just the way the characeter devlopment has been done in the first episodes, it would be silly to compare two episodes of The Pacific to the full series of Band of Brothers.
 
I agree. There's no soulful or emotional connection to any of the guys. When that one soldier (don't want to give away any spoilers) died, I felt bad, but not devastated. I hardly really got to know his character and he's dead. Big deal. It didn't mean much to me.

Again, 10 episodes telling 5 different battles that defined The Pacific Theater of WWII was and is a bad idea. It should have been 25 episodes, at least. Five episodes for each major battle. Ten episodes is leaving it a bit thin.
 
Is this from HBO??? Theyre just showing it on public television here... AHhahAha Same goes for Spartacus! That started here in Holland like two weeks ago.... The Pacific is also going to start soon... Looks really cool though, definitely going to watch to see if I like it.

PS- We get everything late here by the way... that goes for TV series and movies...
 
The pacific is pretty good. Spartacus is crazy, especially the last episode.
 
I saw episode 2 yesterday (here in Portugal it's on AXN, a cable channel owned by SONY); unfortunately I missed the first one and will have to wait for a rerun but from what this episode had to offer I have to say I'm not at all disappointed: great cinematography - I get to watch it in HD (albeit 1080i) -, very promising characters, great hopes for what's to come!
 
Back