• Thread starter Hayden
  • 7 comments

Hayden

Chrysler Racer
Premium
Australia
South Australia
Hello there :gtpflag:

Like many of us, what started with Gran Turismo quickly grew into grassroots motorsport for me.
Over the last decade i've done everything from drifting, motorkhana, trackdays, time attack & hillclimb events.
I've documented pretty much all of that in my members ride thread over the years.

At these events, I came to love the atmosphere of hanging out with like-minded people. I heard tons of great stories about some amazing cars.
This lead me to create The Pit Walk, a video series turning a camera onto these previously unheard stories from every day car-people.
Since I started a couple years ago, with a DSLR and a tripod, I had a stranger (and brilliant photographer) from the GT86 owners club, offer to help.
He brought a wealth of experience, skill and equipment to the idea, and we've become good friends and created some really cool videos since.

Since the start, I hoped to one day have the skill to make a feature-length documentary on my favourite event, Legend of the Lakes Hillclimb.
This year, with my race-car broken, we made the 5 hour trek, off our own backs, and grabbed the opportunity to do it.

We interviewed 15 drivers for this (including the top 3), filmed for 3 days, and I spent the last 3 months editing it. (These things take time with 2 young kids!)
These guys really opened up to us, and if you've ever wondered what "real" entry level motorsport is all about, this is it.
The cars, the stories, the characters and the passion.

Below is the short trailer…

And here is the full 50 minute film…

Would love to hear what you guys think of it!

Last edited:
I normally make much shorter videos, intended to be watched on Facebook. A lot of people advised me against making this as a long-format video, but I really felt like it deserved to be a sit down and watch kind of thing. My hope being that those who take the time to watch it, will really like it.

Very glad to hear you enjoyed it @FPV MIC :D

Last edited:
I normally make much shorter videos, intended to be watched on Facebook. A lot of people advised me against making this as a long-format video, but I really felt like it deserved to be a sit down and watch kind of thing. My hope being that those who take the time to watch it, will really like it.

Very glad to hear you enjoyed it @FPV MIC :D
I honestly don't think you could've done the event justice if it was shorter and I feel there was not one section that should've, or could've been cut given what you're trying to convey. Such a great mix of cars and characters. 👍

My guess is you've still had to cut parts you didn't really want to just to get it down to that length as well.

Watched this yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. You did a great job on the film and should be proud of what you have achieved.

Have to say, as a FWD tragic, the Magna was my favorite car. So out of place yet fits right in with the competition.

@FPV MIC 100% agree. I didn’t want to cut corners or compromise here. I’ve got enough unused interview footage to put out 10 minute videos about each of these cars. I’m still figuring out if that’s something I want to do.

@Korza Thanks mate! The Magna is actually pretty competitive and Chris is a great guy. We started at the event at a similar time and hang out every year. I chose him because I feel like it really shows you don’t need a flash car or a huge investment to get out there and have some fun.

I’ve got some more videos in the planning phase, but I thought I should share my most successful video here too.

The original idea of “The Pit Walk” was just that. Walking up to randoms at track days, having a chat, and if they have a cool car and a cool story, asking if they’ll talk on camera.

It was my wife who saw Graeme, working on his car from a wheelchair. After a quick introduction, we all realised this may be the best story we’ll ever cover. A story that goes way beyond the scope of grassroots Motorsport and is genuinely inspirational.

Since it’s release, it’s reached 57,000 people, been viewed 26,000 times, shared over 330 and generated 1,000 likes on the original Facebook post.

I never dreamed that we’d come across such an unbelievable story. Helping people around the world be inspired by a brilliant guy, whose story they may never have heard otherwise, is something I’m really proud of.

Last edited:
Back