The Putting "Over" back into Overtaking Thread

GBO Possum

Not quite the oldest member. Yet.
Premium
United States
Massachusetts
GBO-Possum
First up, let me invite you all to add your "soaring" photos here.

Now for the backstory. Last night, my mate and I continued our quest for exciting races with very close finishes, and an exciting journey to the checkered flag. It never matters who actually wins, so long as we have exciting fun.

Our steeds of choice this time were very different PP600 cars. Handling finesse from Japan versus brute strength from America. Mismatched races are our favorite since the lead swaps so many times.

Anyway, here we are capering up the hill on Cape Ring, and I'm leadfooting the Shelby to haul back the distance between us. As a result we crest the hill quite close to each other (almost side by side), but at very different velocities.

The result was spectacular side-by-side fun, so for lap two, we decided to attempt to get my Shelby to fly over his Nismo. No success, but on lap three it worked. The aerial overtaking maneuver worked a charm, even maintaining the lead on the following curves by avoiding the usual out-of-control crash on the following righthander. And, amazingly, absolutely no contact between the cars!

Here we are on lap three....

image.jpg
image.jpg

The Nismo driver's eye view in the replay is terrific as the Shelby swoops down from nowhere.

If you decide to try this at home, you both approach the crest in your own lanes and at the right time, move to the center.

It's good to have lots of downforce on the slower car, and none on the flyer.

You have to keep your head down and duck.

My next thoughts on this are:-
  • To try to get one car to actually land on another and continue as one "unit" for some distance with the underneath car controlling the speed and path
  • To use one car as a launching ramp to bounce the fast car into the air. This has been done in various Forzas

Back