The real 1970 Le Mans 24 hours circuit

• Thread starter JohnT64
  • 5 comments
Netherlands
Netherlands
the modern Circuit Sarthe without chicanes ain't the real deal. I would like to see the real lay-out of the 1970 Le Mans circuit.

. Circuit_de_la_Sarthe_Le_Mans_1968-1971_modified.png C

Last edited:
So would I! With or without the Ford Chicane at the end! That in a Porsche 917K Short Tail, Ferrari 512 or Lola T70 would really make my day. Top that with a 24 hour race there with all the classic cars of the time and I don't think I'd ever need a social life again!

Unless it was scanned back in 1970, there's really no chance of getting this. PD would have to spend their money on a time machine over cars in GT6.
~ENDURANCEGUY

A very different beast from the modern Sarthe.

Have a video of the 1968 layout. Onboard of the circuit at the start of the video.

I'm not sure where people get the idea that, if parts of a track don't exist now, it therefore cannot be scanned and will not be made by PD?

PD have made lots of completely fictional tracks (Trial Mountain, Deep Forest), real tracks with layouts no one would use today (Monza No Chicane, 2009 Sarthe No Chicanes), and tracks based on a real location, but do not exist in the real world (the GT6 Matterhorn circuits). So it's not like they don't use some creative license every now and then.

There are plenty of photographs and films of Le Mans from the late 60s and early 70s, from which they could construct a proper, vintage Sarthe Circuit. 👍

It shouldn't be that big a problem. There is enough footage to recreate the 1970 layout.
Frist loose the chicane before the Dunlop. Than make a straight to the Esses. After that is quite the way it is without chicanes. Before you know it you are just before the Porsche curves from which point changes are needed till the finish.
Shouldn't be that great deal

Last edited:
Back