THE REAL DRIVING SIMULATOR - No damage model???

Do you think GT needs a realistic damage model, that affects the car's performance after crashing?

• Yes, I do.

Votes: 40 54.8%
  • No, not necessary.

Votes: 33 45.2%

• Total voters
Thailand
Thailand
Flava_Flo80
I've been playing GT since PS1 and I've never bothered about this. But after playing other games that have a pretty realistic damage model, it just feels odd for a race game in 2019 that no matter how fast you crash your ride, you only take a few scratches. Especially for multiplayer mode it would prevent those little ***** from crashing into other players, if their cars would take serious damage. Much more efficient than a penalty system.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's my opinion, too. Damage Model and off the kids go... but the problem is, that all those good licenses PD got don't allow a complete damage model I guess, not to mention that realising such a realistic damage model would be very difficult to realize thus they need to develope a fully new engine.

It comes down to if you accept a design decision or not.

If its a dealbreaker then you dont need to buy this game.

I can fully understand if someone just doesnt accept the lack of upgrade parts like the old days.

Yeah I was surprised by the lack of part upgrades and how its done through points. It's not a deal breaker for me

"The real driving simulator" ≠ "the real crash damage simulator"
Personally, I've never liked elaborate car damage in racing games.
When drivers are racing well, there's no damage anyway.
With limited system resources, I'd prefer available processing power to be utilized on other things, not bigger dents & parts falling off.
And I don't particularly enjoy dodging banged-up race cars as they limp around the track.

Last edited:
I remember somebody mentoined that the car manufacturers don't want to see something like these on their cars again:
gran-turismo-5-intro-1.jpg

LnpKS2J.jpg

It's just wishful thinking hoping it would end the crash dummies. It will only encourage them as nudging someone off road is far worse for the car getting nudged into a wall. Slight bumps won't do much to the car bumping and can totally wreck the car getting bumped. I played GRID with damage online, it was a massacre. Plus many crash dummies simply leave the race after they have done their work to enter another race.

Damage model, and more kids will come to ruin your race. It's been my experience in any game with an online damage model, including GT5 lobbies. It will stop the wall bangers, yet it will encourage more bumping from behind.

It's bad enough now, You get bumped into the sand and your car behaves like crap until your tires are clean again. With damage, you can limp to the pit, while the nudger has a dented mirror and some paint scratches.

Last edited:
I think Sony's target group is probably younger than the one for XBox. Maybe that's why Forza has damage and GT doesn't.
I've bought GT Sport anyway, maybe for nostalgic reasons. I've been playing GT5 day and night, but online wasn't a thing back then. Let's see what awaits me...

I think Sony's target group is probably younger than the one for XBox. Maybe that's why Forza has damage and GT doesn't.
I've bought GT Sport anyway, maybe for nostalgic reasons. I've been playing GT5 day and night, but online wasn't a thing back then. Let's see what awaits me...

Have you played Forza online.... All I remember of that was a crash fest, deliberate ramming and pit manoevers all around with the odd car driving in the opposite direction. GT5 was great online btw, once you found the clean lobbies. The full damage lobbies in GT5 never lasted as 2/3rd of the grid quit during the race, effectively killing the lobby.

I wa
Have you played Forza online.... All I remember of that was a crash fest, deliberate ramming and pit manoevers all around with the odd car driving in the opposite direction. GT5 was great online btw, once you found the clean lobbies. The full damage lobbies in GT5 never lasted as 2/3rd of the grid quit during the race, effectively killing the lobby.
I was playing on a jail broken PS3 so I never had the chance to play it online. Can't even remember that there was an online mode.
No, I haven't played Forza. Anyway, the damage model doesn't look very realistic either. I liked the one in NFS 2015.
After all, GT is still fun. Damage or not.

I am surprised by how many people defend this weak point of GT Sport as a racing game.

Collisions, crashes, damage are an intrinsic part of racing, since when racing started.
We may like it or not, but neglecting the importance of crashes/collisions (and their consquences) is just wrong.

I understand the philosophy of GT is about driving clean, but no matter how clean we tend to drive, crashes could always happen, and should always been contemplated.

The game at this stage is wonderful, until you accidentally hit anything (car, barriers, etc ) and you just bump un-realistically, in the same way as GT1 (1997).

What is the point of accurately simulating the tires deflections (just for example), and at the same time addressing collisions same as a Mario Kart?

Also, you hit a metal crush barrier, a concrete barrier or a tire barrier, the collision is always the same.
Same as as 22 years ago.

I remember somebody mentoined that the car manufacturers don't want to see something like these on their cars again:
gran-turismo-5-intro-1.jpg

LnpKS2J.jpg

Yes, because they are so unrealistic to look like very weird, whimsical.
The same somebody should ask himself why no manufacturer is complaining about their cars damaged in other racing sims.
Or do we think that manufacturers care only about GT?

The lack of a visual damage is likely due to licensing, which could be the reason Gran Turismo Sport has Supras but other modern games don't (the ones that have damage)

IMO, PD has it right with GTS. Scuffs, cracked headlights, traded paint and etc. Thats all you need in a simcade.

If you want more realistic damage, perhaps you spend a little too much time crashing into walls.

I think something PD should improve on is mechanical damage more than visual damage, more stuff that can break either suddenly or with hits would be great for the unpredictability and dangerous aspect of racing.

Back