The REAL HDTV Question

  • Thread starter Thread starter KillerMR2T
  • 14 comments
  • 1,703 views
Messages
34
I have a Samsung DLP 56 inch TV with 1 480i/480p Input along with 2 480p/720p/1080i inputs

My question is for you guys who are playing the game in 1080i what happens to your screen when you get to the menus or how do you wire you TV up?

Are you constantly jumping up between races moving wires?

Because the is not a TV in existance that can run 480i/480p/720p/1080i
 
well the only cables I have hooked in to my TV (27inch Samsung) are Component Cables.

It switches back to 480p out of race, and then goes to 1080i in race. it looks VERY VERY nice, the colors are so much more vivid, I dont notice the "blur" anymore either

and as far as I know almost all TV's that do 480p and 1080i can do 480i mine doesnt seem to have any problem with it that I know of.
 
KillerMR2T
I have a Samsung DLP 56 inch TV with 1 480i/480p Input along with 2 480p/720p/1080i inputs

My question is for you guys who are playing the game in 1080i what happens to your screen when you get to the menus or how do you wire you TV up?

Are you constantly jumping up between races moving wires?

Because the is not a TV in existance that can run 480i/480p/720p/1080i


My Mits DLP can display 480i/480p/720p/1080i through component.
 
How does it switch to 480p when the menus are in 480i?

PLEASE read what you have your component cables plugged into on the back of your TV
 
killer - you don't know what you're talking about. many hdtv's can accept a normal 480i image on their component inputs.

yours can't unfortunately, thats just how it is.
 
I have 3 component inputs and all 3 support 480i/480p/720p/1080i. It is your TV that cannont support 480i and 1080i on the same input
 
I'm running with a HDTV video projector (Sony VPL-HS51). 102" inch screen. It has an auto switcher, so the 480i and 1080i automatically switches back and forth. But, there is a full screen green blob for a split second while it does it. Both modes work fine.

One issue I have though is I'd like to use one of those progressive to VGA adapters to display 480p on my CRT computer monitor at work, but sine the box nor my monitor accept 480i, it's a no go. I do wish PD would have made the 480p or 1080i modes throughout the eniter game, menus and all.
 
Mach5
One issue I have though is I'd like to use one of those progressive to VGA adapters to display 480p on my CRT computer monitor at work, but sine the box nor my monitor accept 480i, it's a no go. I do wish PD would have made the 480p or 1080i modes throughout the eniter game, menus and all.[/QUOTE

No PC monitor accepts 480i - you just loop it through a cheap line doubler like the Redant VGA box and you're away. The box has a switch and two outputs so you can change to high def mode just like that. Picture quality remains exactly the same, and you can prove it to yourself by reconfiguring to a direct input if you want to see it for yourself.
 
KillerMR2T
Well i guess i am SOL

Thanks Guys i was just frustrated

The best solution I have for you is to hook up another set of PS2 cables to your 480i input, then you only have to switch the 1 connector in the back of your PS2.
 
KillerMR2T
Well i guess i am SOL

Thanks Guys i was just frustrated

I have the Samsung 46" DLP with the same set of restrictions on the inputs. I have had a couple of races in 1080i, and honestly, it doesn't look any better than 480i/480p. You still get all the dithering and jaggies from the fences, stadium seats, etc. So I wouldn't worry about resolution. GT4 looks great for a PS2 game, but it would be improved by a healthy dose of AA.
 
1080i looks awesome on HDTV. But word of caution I didn't realize until the third day I had GT4. The game will go back to 480i everytime you shut it off. So, whenever you first turn on your PS2, make sure to set the option back to 1080i.
 
Solid Lifters
1080i looks awesome on HDTV. But word of caution I didn't realize until the third day I had GT4. The game will go back to 480i everytime you shut it off. So, whenever you first turn on your PS2, make sure to set the option back to 1080i.

That sort of proves my point... If it took you 3 days to realize that you weren't playing in 1080i, there's not a huge difference in the various display modes. Of course, this depends greatly on the display you're using. For those of us with 720p, fixed pixel displays (DLP, LCD & Plasma) there might not be much of a difference at all. There's been a lot of debate on how the PS2 gets to 1080i, and the consensus seems to be that it's not a "true' 1080i in that the game is not rendered at 1920x1080. Rather scaling tricks are used to bring it up to this resolution.
 
Back